Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Maybe it was a bad idea to make many of the main ways people socialize involve drinking alcohol while making driving a car the only way to get from place to place. Unless one of these things changes, drunk driving isn't going away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I'm trying to think of someone people generally hate more than drunk driver who kills people and struggling

This is easy: bicyclists

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Do cops and medi blame the kids killed by drunk drivers?

When my sister got hit on her bicycle by a drunk driver when she was 14, the police gave her poo poo for being in the street. She was riding across the street in a small neighborhood with a bunch of narrow one ways so it wasn't like she was riding on a multi lane high way or something. Her knee was permanently destroyed and she's had multiple surgeries to fix it. The drunk drivers insurance only paid my family like 30k total which lol didn't even come close to covering everything she's needed through her life to deal with it.

https://slate.com/business/2022/09/houston-8-year-old-bicycle-death-unsafe-streets-chase-delarios.html
This child was blamed for riding in a street by the local cops.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 21:39 on Mar 30, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

given the massive danger to other people and themselves the best option is the complete inability of the habitually drunk driver to drive. it sucks that they'd probably lose their job in America but that would probably end up happening anyway, and there would be less risk to pedestrians and other drivers. i struggle to think of a workable alternative besides massive committed Islam (at this point easier than the stage of communism with no alcoholism, which has been achieved nowhere ever)

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 21:40 on Mar 30, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

When my sister got hit on her bicycle by a drunk driver when she was 14, the police gave her poo poo for being in the street. She was riding across the street in a small neighborhood with a bunch of narrow one ways so it wasn't like she was riding on a multi lane high way or something. Her knee was permanently destroyed and she's had multiple surgeries to fix it. The drunk drivers insurance only paid my family like 30k total which lol didn't even come close to covering everything she's needed through her life to deal with it.

https://slate.com/business/2022/09/houston-8-year-old-bicycle-death-unsafe-streets-chase-delarios.html
This child was blamed for riding in a street by the local cops.

child was in violation of the rule that anywhere around a street or road, even in a residential neighborhood, is the exclusive domain of the automobile. they child acted against the rule and disrupted the harmony of the environment. it makes sense that the police would be angry at the dead kid.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I have a hard time separating drunk driving from advanced alcoholism because when I've worked with people in that population it's a telltale sign that doesn't feel uniquely evil or bad intentioned because at the point where you're constantly driving super drunk your behavior has transitioned from actively making informed choices to just doing whatever gets you your immediate needs met without caring about others. Drunk driving is particularly awful but at that point you're just not thinking rationally about anything. You're not really thinking, "yes, I could walk or call an Uber. It'll cost more, but the human and economic cost of killing a person or crashing is so high that driving hammered is beyond the pale."

Not excusing their decision making role in doing so but I also don't think addicts who enter the drug trade and get violent are uniquely evil either. They're willing to go way further to get a fix that other levels of addiction but their brain is super hosed up

It is about material weight, and at a certain point, 70+ years of bad decisions comes to home to roost. The public transportation infrastructure in general across the US is laughable even in large cities and it has been designed as such. In other parts of the world, there are options, they really don't exist in the US.

You could increase the toll for drunk driving but it probably wouldn't stick because American system has been designed to be dysfunction and eventually there would be pressure to bring them down again so people can liquify their brains again to get away from the crushing weight of their reality.

It is bad, and will probably get worse.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
American society will collapse if car drivers were told to be careful and responsible with their several thousand pound death tanks.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_L5TnitJ1Y

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

a neighborhood with sidewalks isn't safe for pedestrians lmao

loving texas

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

a neighborhood with sidewalks isn't safe for pedestrians lmao

loving texas

they didn't spend all that money to build the road just to waste it on kids with bikes

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DesertIslandHermit posted:

American society will collapse if car drivers were told to be careful and responsible with their several thousand pound death tanks.

It is every citizen's final duty to return to underneath the treads of the 5 ton crew cab XL tanks.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

lobster shirt posted:

smh at this use of passive voice
NHD is really a masterclass in how to minimize perception of car violence.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Not drunk and literally every article except the one summarizing the police statement (which was attacked for deliberately covering up the city making it unsafe) says a kid was killed by a driver

Edit: pepe you already added more which makes my reply less important and I agree that cops will always cyoa but that has as much to do with cars as it does them
Well that's ok then! The child was in one of the no-human zones (not a legal definition, but they really should have known better), and experienced a terminating event due to a kinetic interaction with a vehicle.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Neighborhood Bus Stop & Pizzeria

Real Toronto roadman ting: Some of the best Jamaican beef patties you can find in this city are in stands inside of subway stations. There are enough of them that there's even some debate as to which patty is the best subway beef patty. Unfortunately I don't think most of those places are open late enough (though neither is the subway itself). If they were, they'd basically have a money printing license from all the drunk people.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Drunk driving is something that very few people are really ready to address just how common it is and just how ineffectual the criminal justice system is of handling.

For one, it’s a crime of poor judgment rather than malicious intent. Almost nobody thinks “I’m gonna go crash” so much as they misjudge how impaired they are or alternatively they get more impaired than they intended to and find themselves making the bad decision to roll the dice

For another, it’s incredibly common. For every person pulled over for drunk driving they’ve successfully made it home impaired dozens of not hundreds of times. Similarly with wrecks. They roll the dice until their luck runs out. And the statistics of wrecks and arrests won’t tell you with any certainty the breadth of the problem, because for every drunk driver caught there are a dozen or more who have never been caught

Yet another is that it’s a crime that cuts across all demographics, racial and ethnic, rich and poor, gender, etc… and so there’s no majoritarian impulse to crack down hard

Again it’s not a crime where people intend to get caught, often they don’t weigh the penalties

I don’t know the answer. I don’t drive if I drink, ever, but I also live in the middle of a city and have plenty of options including if push comes to shove walking home

I do know the current selective enforcement doesn’t work. I don’t know how to fix that. In fact, the current system to me seems almost like a legal fee and diversion fee and court fee industrial complex that doesn’t improve outcomes so much as funneling money into the hands of lawyers and diversion program managers

I don’t know except to say it’s hosed up

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My sister had her alcoholism come to jesus moment last year when she realized she had a handle of vodka in her car and had "magically transported" to work. Called her husband and had him come pick up the car and then checked herself into a 30day program and luckily so far has been pretty successful with it.

She admits she had probably been drunk driving for quite a while and just didn't acknowledge it until then. Its super generational poo poo. Our parents did it too. Both of our parents died from alcohol related incidents. If she had ended up hitting a kid while driving too it would have just been the worst circle to complete.

Ill never understand why we hammered weed so loving hard in this country for so loving long when alcohol was right there just destroying everything.

One way to address it at least somewhat is the required breathalyzer in cars and yes you can get around it by having someone else blow for you but that's a lovely person with you who would blow and no one with a fuckin iota of brain cells is gonna blow for someone who's drunk.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 22:17 on Mar 30, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

cat botherer posted:

NHD is really a masterclass in how to minimize perception of car violence.

he got bit by a car and transformed into one

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

he got bit by a car and transformed into one

There was a cartoon on USA network about this when I was really little. I think maybe if he got wet he turned into a racecar. Weird poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HashtagGirlboss posted:

There was a cartoon on USA network about this when I was really little. I think maybe if he got wet he turned into a racecar. Weird poo poo

hot if he got hot, like in the shower

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

hot if he got hot, like in the shower

Oh yeah. And cold water made him human again I think right?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

we are all made of cars

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Huh I wonder if the breathalyzer requirement in all cars is actually on track to happen

https://jalopnik.com/the-in-car-breathalyzer-is-only-a-few-years-away-1850268311

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

HashtagGirlboss posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j18e_ID-DpA

YOU'RE NOT PART OF THE TURBO TEEN! DON'T DRIVE!!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

Huh I wonder if the breathalyzer requirement in all cars is actually on track to happen

https://jalopnik.com/the-in-car-breathalyzer-is-only-a-few-years-away-1850268311
I doubt this will ever actually happen

Even ignoring political issues I think it would have to work perfectly with no special effort on the part of the driver, which seems unlikely.

Once you throw in political issues, it seems even more impossible.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

maybe Im misreading but this lady wasnt drunk driving and got into an accident. it sounds like she was drunk and pissed and used her car as a weapon.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mystes posted:

I doubt this will ever actually happen

Even ignoring political issues I think it would have to work perfectly with no special effort on the part of the driver, which seems unlikely.

Once you throw in political issues, it seems even more impossible.

People said that about the backup camera thing too initially.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the car should just notice erratic driving and engage some safety mode that pulls over and makes you take a 35 minute temper tantrum until you get another shot

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

im stating the obvious but the car-breathalyzer thing seems more like a permanent grift for car-breathalyzer makers than a good response. all new cars forever + maintenance. nice work

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/snackmerritt/status/1640929950785060870

mystes
May 31, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

People said that about the backup camera thing too initially.
Aside from adding a negligible cost, backup cameras only help drivers and don't inconvenience them in any way

If you have to bend over and breathe into a breathalyzer thing every time you get into a car people will freak out

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Mister Speaker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j18e_ID-DpA

YOU'RE NOT PART OF THE TURBO TEEN! DON'T DRIVE!!!

I just came back from looking this up because the video was so hosed up. That the driver lived and became able to transform into a car and back doesn’t make it OK to just drop into the thread or make it look any less like a snuff clip. I guess you think you’re the Car Whisperer and can divine what the gently caress is going in in that clip, but for us normal humans that looked pretty loving bad and isn’t something that belongs here without an explanation and warning.

If you want to watch that sort of clip feel free to gently caress off to the chans.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

That said I would 100% rather breathe into a breathalyzer every time I get into my car than have some dumbass accelerometer slapped into the car to "passively detect" whatever algorithmic approximation they have of how a drunk driver drives, which will have very little proportional impact on actual drunk driving while creating a lot of potential for false alarms.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

the true protagonist of speed racer only appeared in one episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSlRDRSBRec&t=437s

lol this is one crazy rear end episode. this mf just whipping people left and right lmao. based show

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mystes posted:

Aside from adding a negligible cost, backup cameras only help drivers and don't inconvenience them in any way

If you have to bend over and breathe into a breathalyzer thing every time you get into a car people will freak out

i think the concept was that some sensor in the cabin would passively pick it up. u dont breath into anything.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Smythe posted:

i think the concept was that some sensor in the cabin would passively pick it up. u dont breath into anything.

I can't wait for some idiot to concern troll about "auto brewery syndrome" or something

mystes
May 31, 2006

Smythe posted:

Yeah but what I was saying was that I doubt that's actually going to work, if it doesn't work americans won't accept normal breathalyzers that you breathe into, and if it does somehow work republicans will turn it into a ~freedom~ thing anyway.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

https://slate.com/business/2023/03/paris-car-ban-bikes-cycling-history-france.html

quote:

How Paris Kicked Out the Cars

She has since picked up the pace with a kind of anti-car shock doctrine, taking advantage of a long transit strike at the end of 2019 and the COVID-19 lockdowns of 2020, which prompted behavioral changes and created an excuse to redesign the streets. In 2020 she renovated the Right Bank’s main east-west artery, the Rue de Rivoli. It has gone from six lanes of traffic (four moving, two parked) to one for taxis and buses, with the rest a bike path serving 8,500 riders a day. (In a pinch, the bike path is wide enough to serve as a traffic-free route for emergency vehicles; an analysis recently showed that this has helped the city lower fire response times to under seven minutes for the first time in more than a decade.) Tens of thousands of parking spaces have been commandeered for new uses. Streets have been permanently closed to traffic in front of hundreds of schools. Beyond physical changes to the streets, Hidalgo has instituted a citywide speed limit of 30 kph (less than 20 mph), forced the city’s ubiquitous motor scooters to pay for parking, and priced all-day street parking at 6 euros an hour in the city center.

some nice before and after photos in this pdf
https://www.apur.org/sites/default/files/evolution_mobilites_grand_paris.pdf?token=uM1LFlmo

cowboy beepboop has issued a correction as of 00:20 on Mar 31, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If people can't get drunk, drunk driving won't happen

We should ban liquor

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

If people can't get drunk, drunk driving won't happen

We should ban liquor

It's crazy hosed up that nobody ever tried this in North America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Take away the cars and the perfidious drunk will just find another way to travel dangerously

That's why you have to ban drinking. Gets rid of a lot of date rape or slipping roofies into drinks issues as well. But Big Drink has bought off all the politicians

But, as always, this is because the focus is on the wrong thing and drunk driving should be legal just like drunk bicycling is in Illinois. It's only if you cause a collision that there's a problem