Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Narsham posted:

They mentioned changing lighting, the time of day, turning on rain, or turning on a rain of flaming embers. That sounds like a bit more than just lighting effects for fire.

Those are also things that many fully-featured vtts (so not roll20) can do trivially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Splicer posted:

So The Guild, but D&D instead of WoW.

I think using D&D (or any RPG) would get you a better The Guild than WoW did, because there's more opportunity for the film characters to use the game characters to work out their issues.

I honestly think it could work as a blend of each. We're following two stories, the in-game and the out-of-game. They interact and influence each other but the media treats the stories of both with equal seriousness. It would work better as a limited TV series than a move though.

Imo, the cold opens/cold closes are all them in game or in session and may or may not have any relation to the rest of the episode while the actual episode is them out of game.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Narsham posted:

They mentioned changing lighting, the time of day, turning on rain, or turning on a rain of flaming embers. That sounds like a bit more than just lighting effects for fire.

So the thing is, all of that stuff is handled pretty simply by game engine itself. Environmental effects and things that like are just visuals are easy to implement. You just need to like create the Flaming embers asset and animation and then implement it.

Depending on how fancy they want to get Rain is either just a screen filter, or if they really want to get fancy they can make it so rain has physics which means inside no rain, on the outside outside rain.

It's stuff that Talespire can do and Talespire is a smallish dev team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXrRFOhghXw

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Looks like the JP D&D Team has thought up some good cross promotion

https://twitter.com/OsakaStarling/status/1641446952176087043

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I mean, it seems like an obvious choice for merchandise, just in a venue most of the world doesn't have. The fact that tie-in sets like this aren't available in Target or whatever domestically looks to me like a big ol' blunder, along with the fact that Hasbro is licensing out plush toys for this. Not on par with the lack of Baby Yoda merch when Mandalorian first came out, but the same idea.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

El Fideo posted:

I mean, it seems like an obvious choice for merchandise, just in a venue most of the world doesn't have. The fact that tie-in sets like this aren't available in Target or whatever domestically looks to me like a big ol' blunder, along with the fact that Hasbro is licensing out plush toys for this. Not on par with the lack of Baby Yoda merch when Mandalorian first came out, but the same idea.
My understanding on the Baby Yoda thing was they didn't want to wreck the reveal.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Does D&D still have actual competition in Japan that means it’s not the default?

If that illustration is true they’re including Wild Beyond The Witchlight in the pack which is not at all a “standard” module.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hyphz posted:

Does D&D still have actual competition in Japan that means it’s not the default?

If that illustration is true they’re including Wild Beyond The Witchlight in the pack which is not at all a “standard” module.

I don't think that's the case. If you click through to the original tweet, the automated translation says that there will be starter box sets and rulebooks available. the image seems to group things by product line and shows two of the existing starter box sets (in addition to the core rulebooks and Xanathar's Guide to Everything). I'd guess the art and focus on Wild Beyond the Witchlight at the top of the promo image is recommending it as a first adventure book, but not that it's a special pack-in.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

hyphz posted:

Call of Cthulhu is the most popular RPG in Japan.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lumbermouth posted:

By a large margin:

https://twitter.com/diamondsutra/status/1143718791471173633

In Korea as well. Even made overall top sellers list for books there.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Lumbermouth posted:

Which makes the promotion of the D&D RPG books make sense there, in a market where it’s not the case that all the RPG fans are already playing it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

quote:

We were greeted by the fellow in center of the picture with Larry Elmore. He told us we were welcome to look around. If we wanted to play or run a game, we could pay $10 for the day. He bragged that we just missed Larry Elmore. We told him we were attending GaryCon and just wanted to check out this place. He then proceeded to talk about how GaryCon was inferior because they checked vaccine cards and required masks - and we told him they didn't this year. He then asked us how much we spent on GaryCon tickets, and suggested this con was a better value.

We left after a few minutes. It was a very dour atmosphere, full of sad people, who had decided to stay in a self-imposed exile while one of the best con experiences I've ever had was occurring 5 minutes down the street.

Haha they're still at it.

hyphz posted:

Which makes the promotion of the D&D RPG books make sense there, in a market where it’s not the case that all the RPG fans are already playing it.

Promoting the adventure that's going for more of a 19th century spooky carnival that travels a surreal magic faerie landscape also makes some sense as far as piquing the interest of Japanese TTRPG audiences.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Witchlight is also the newest release for books there.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lumbermouth posted:

Call of Cthulhu products in Japanese outsell CoC products in English. The JP market for CoC is bigger than the US+UK+AU+NZ+CA+etc combined.

e: article from early 2021 about Call of Cthulhu in Japan: https://www.dicebreaker.com/games/call-of-cthulhu-rpg/news/call-of-cthulhu-dnd-japan-rpg

Contains these snippets:

quote:

The latest seventh edition of the game was released in December 2019, featuring a complete overhaul of the rulebook. Roleplaying game writer and editor Masayuki Sakamoto, who has worked on Call of Cthulhu since its original release in Japan, told Dicebreaker that the sixth and seventh editions have sold more than 300,000 copies combined, including 60,000 copies of the latest edition. ... A representative for Call of Cthulhu studio Chaosium told Dicebreaker that the Japanese-language release of the RPG doesn’t just outsell any other language, it sells more copies than all of the game's other languages combined - English included.

quote:

According to the game's production studio Arclight, most Call of Cthulhu players in Japan are women aged between 17 and 35. By way of comparison, Wizards of the Coast revealed last year that most Dungeons & Dragons players are under 30, with 40% aged 24 or younger and around a fifth aged between 30 and 34. The majority of D&D players - more than two-thirds - identified as male, with 39% identifying as female. Players who identified as non-binary or “other” comprised less than 1% of the audience.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 31, 2023

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

He's less than five years older than me!? What the absolute gently caress?! I'm not pretty, but I don't look like a starved refugee wizard from a lovely fantasy film.

I mean, I bet that's not Your Brand.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/WyrmwoodGaming/status/1641934764167798790

Wyrmwood Gaming has investigated themselves and found no wrongdoing.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
When you nuke the videos documenting that poo poo on your own channel, of course there's no evidence of any wrongdoings. Certainly no ranting libertarian manchild to be found here.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Even in the document they can't stop talking poo poo about OSHA, how yes actually they do think OSHA sucks and is unreasonable but tsk, nonetheless they've implemented a number of safety features since 2020 including things like "actual equipment training" and "checking the fire extinguishers."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
If the CEO and his coterie were capable of holding back their whining about OSHA, eugenics, and general sexual abuse then they wouldn't be dumbass libertarians wallowing in this mud pit to begin with. I just hope all the pending employment lawsuits go through and then OSHA beats the company into the ground before anyone is killed.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

https://twitter.com/WyrmwoodGaming/status/1641934764167798790

Wyrmwood Gaming has investigated themselves and found no wrongdoing.

Hm, "leading questions" you say? Like "do you feel safe in a work environment where your boss rants about OSHA?" Weird how the need for specifics and context fall away when we turn to the reporter being bad.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Waystar-Royco-Wormwood. We hear of your concerns.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

According to content creators at the DnD summit, WotC has officially cancelled One DnD in favor of a minor revision to 5e. Content Creators unanimously refused to see new materials in favor of questioning WotC on the ethics of their business practices

https://twitter.com/nerdimmersion/status/1643039417333055488?t=u-LHmN70ZsUQoR32LNlvIA&s=19

https://twitter.com/nerdimmersion/status/1643042331447414785

I don't know what this means beyond a branding change really

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"a minor revision to 5e" is a more honest characterization of what "6e/5.5e/OneD&D" was always going to be, were they to admit it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One D&D is not canceled. It's just a codename like Next was, and the new books were never going to be called One D&D.

They are still going forward with the playtests and such.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Bottom Liner posted:

According to content creators at the DnD summit, WotC has officially cancelled One DnD in favor of a minor revision to 5e. Content Creators unanimously refused to see new materials in favor of questioning WotC on the ethics of their business practices

What's the source on this quote?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here is a transcription of Crawfords actual words.

quote:

"One D&D" was never supposed to be the name of the revised books. It was a placeholder to describe 3 initiatives -- the 2024 revised core books, D&D Beyond, and the D&D VTT.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
From what I'm reading on Twitter, at least everyone agrees that the One D&D 5.5e druid sucked.

I'm still a bit weirded out that flintlock pistols and muskets are going to the PHB, but hey, goliaths are gonna be playable right off the bat!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Snorb posted:

From what I'm reading on Twitter, at least everyone agrees that the One D&D 5.5e druid sucked.

I'm still a bit weirded out that flintlock pistols and muskets are going to the PHB, but hey, goliaths are gonna be playable right off the bat!
I don't know why this is spoiler tagged?

Guns in D&D have a rich history, all the way back to AD&D. I'm more weirded out when muskets and flintlocks aren't on the lists.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

What'll be really weird is if the rules for guns make sense and work well.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Terrible Opinions posted:

What'll be really weird is if the rules for guns make sense and work well.
No way, "guns are useless" is also a D&D tradition.

"Here's a flintlock. It does 1d4 damage. You can fire it once a combat and it has no advantages, so it's basically a lovely crossbow."

When I ran my 4e Zeitgeist game, I struggled with a way to make them cool. I settled on everyone being Proficient with them, and they always used whatever your best stat was. So it was a thing you fired before you got into combat then forgot about mostly.

They still were marginal until the barbarian found some weirdass dangerous magic one.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

"Here's a flintlock. It does 1d4 damage. You can fire it once a combat and it has no advantages, so it's basically a lovely crossbow."

When I ran my 4e Zeitgeist game, I struggled with a way to make them cool. I settled on everyone being Proficient with them, and they always used whatever your best stat was. So it was a thing you fired before you got into combat then forgot about mostly.

They still were marginal until the barbarian found some weirdass dangerous magic one.

From what I'm looking at muskets are d12 piercing, are ranged 40/120', two-handed, loading, and (if I'm reading the thread right) reduce their target's speed by 10' for a round if a fighter uses it. All for the "low" price of 500 gold! (Heavy crossbows are d10 piercing, ranged 100/400', heavy because halflings and gnomes can't have nice things, two-handed, loading, and do bare minimum damage if a fighter misses, and this is for 50 gold.)

I mean, I'm glad the d12 gets some love for once in D&D, but fighters are ever going to be my favorite D&D class. I think I know which one of these I'd have a character use in a fight, and it's not the one that goes "**BLAM**" every time you fire it.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
Wait, so not only did WOTC poo poo the bed so hard that they panicked and opened up their IP under the OGL, but then also made their entire ONED&D marketing campaign so toxic that they're abandoning it (assuming, of course, that there are other voices coming out of that Creator Summit that will verify)?

If so, all I can say is L and O and, again, L.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
No it's going to continue as normal. One D&D is just never what they were going to call the new books. It's the same as D&D Next over a decade ago.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

No it's going to continue as normal. One D&D is just never what they were going to call the new books. It's the same as D&D Next over a decade ago.

D&D Next evolved forward into DND 5E. In marketing terms.

It didn't (again, upon confirmation) just abruptly no, no reason, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain suddenly reverse-course (again, if confirmed) backwards into an Elon Muskian, "I'm not owned, I was never owned" reversal. Advertising and branding mean things (and cost money), and if a company suddenly reverses-course (and especially if at a meeting meant specifically to boost enthusiasm with content creators), then...

no that is not, 'continuing as normal'

AJA fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 4, 2023

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
edit is not quote!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Shifting to "revised set of core rulebooks" feels like quite a retreat from the initial visions of what OneDnD would be. They're definitely soft pedalling things for a spooked audience.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I feel like I’m missing something because this is exactly what I remember them describing One D&D as from the start. A backwards compatible soft revision of 5e, closer to AD&D 1->2e than 2e->3e.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nickoten posted:

I feel like I’m missing something because this is exactly what I remember them describing One D&D as from the start. A backwards compatible soft revision of 5e, closer to AD&D 1->2e than 2e->3e.

Yeah I agree, and the playtests are still going to continue, none of the plans have changed.

Like I read the transcript quote, and it seems the same as they were always talking, even when they first announced it they said they don't consider it to be an edition change.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I agree, and the playtests are still going to continue, none of the plans have changed.

Like I read the transcript quote, and it seems the same as they were always talking, even when they first announced it they said they don't consider it to be an edition change.

Exactly, the whole point of this next phase of D&D's life-cycle is to make it Dungeons & Dragons As a Service: the same game, but now with patch notes and slowly being made into a walled garden. Edition changes create competitors like Paizo, but you can boil the frog quite readily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

dwarf74 posted:

We live in the Critical Role world where one of the characters was really good with guns so it's not surprising they're introducing firearms as standard.