Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Also David Pecker has prosecutorial immunity to testify as a rebuttal witness against Costello in the hush money case, which he did today.

And Jack Smith has finally gotten subpoenas to Meadows, Miller, Scavino, and so many more last week. Add Pence to that list soon, I think.

And Corcoran has to turn over tapes of conversations with Trump, too; doesn't he?

There are just lots of indications of blood in the water now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
oh wait, ignore this

OgNar fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 28, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Corcoran presumably has already produced materials, last week before he came in to testify on Thursday.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

More bad news for Trump as the wheels of justice continue to grind along:

Mike Pence must testify about conversations he had with Donald Trump leading up to January 6, judge rules

quote:

A federal judge has decided that former Vice President Mike Pence must testify to a grand jury about conversations he had with Donald Trump leading up to January 6, 2021, according to multiple sources familiar with a recent federal court ruling.

But the judge said – in a ruling that remains under seal – that Pence can still decline to answer questions related to his actions on January 6 itself, when he was serving as president of the Senate for the certification of the 2020 presidential election, according to one of the sources.

The ruling from chief judge James Boasberg of the US District Court in Washington, DC, is a major win for special counsel Jack Smith, who is spearheading the Justice Department investigation. Pence still has the ability to appeal.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

So he can still plead the fifth and say nothing?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Silly Burrito posted:

Sure. There's nothing that prohibits that.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Silly Burrito posted:

Only if they get married.
Or if he's worried he'd implicate himself in a crime.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Zotix posted:

Sure. There's nothing that prohibits that.

He can be forced to talk if they immunize him.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

cr0y posted:

He can be forced to talk if they immunize him.

Don't you have to accept immunity? Can you really be immunized against your will?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Fuschia tude posted:

Don't you have to accept immunity? Can you really be immunized against your will?

Not until Emperor Fauci takes over

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Silly Burrito posted:

Says that he can 5th on his actions as acting President of the Senate on 1/6, not on everything - especially his conversations with Trump.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

PainterofCrap posted:

Says that he can 5th on his actions as acting President of the Senate on 1/6, not on everything - especially his conversations with Trump.
If past reporting on Pence's legal argument is accurate, he won't be pleading the 5th about his actions as PotS; he'll be citing the Constitution's Speech or Debate clause.

If that sounds weird, that's because it is. The Speech and Debate clause pertains to legislators, not the executive branch. It's unlikely to shield Pence from very much here, but the judge would appear to agree with the underlying idea that the VP can sometimes be a member of two branches of government simultaneously.

Edit: Politico ain't great but it'll do here. That's the past reporting I meant.

Also all this poo poo is sealed so everybody's just kind of speculating and citing "sources close to X" now. Could be it's all wrong.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 28, 2023

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The VP is the president of the Senate, it's a weird exception.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

cr0y posted:

The VP is the president of the Senate, it's a weird exception.
Now it's an exception, presumably. No VP has ever asserted this kind of protection before, and if it applies to Pence's duties on the 6th, what other of the VP's duties might it apply to in the future? Or the chief justice during impeachment? (Don't know if that one's been tried or not.)

Maybe weird was a bad word, but it's an interesting argument anyway. I can see why the president of the Senate might ought have a degree of that protection, but I also appreciate that the decision appears to be limited to, "Things you did going to/coming from/inside the physical building of Congress." It's probably the strictest interpretation you could make without rejecting it outright. I don't want a broad protection intended for legislators to start giving the executive even more cover than it already has.

That's kind of getting off track of the Jan. 6th stuff though.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

AtraMorS posted:

Now it's an exception, presumably. No VP has ever asserted this kind of protection before, and if it applies to Pence's duties on the 6th, what other of the VP's duties might it apply to in the future? Or the chief justice during impeachment? (Don't know if that one's been tried or not.)

This isn't exactly the first time someone's pulled this stunt. Cheney tried it before during one of the W administration's many clashes with Congress, I wanna say over AGAG's conveniently bad memory?

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This isn't exactly the first time someone's pulled this stunt. Cheney tried it before during one of the W administration's many clashes with Congress, I wanna say over AGAG's conveniently bad memory?
Sorry, I should've said "never asserted this kind of protection in court." It would be the first time a court has actually extended that protection to a VP.

My political memory from those years doesn't go that deep but it's not like it'd be out of character for Cheney to try it. But he never actually got a court to agree, did he?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Good morning

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Press Caps Lock to pay respect

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Won't someone do something about all these witches

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

SICK WITCH definitely gonna be someone's DJ name

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just leave these poor sick witches alone! they've got problems enough as it is

What is wrong with the world today

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cr0y posted:

Good morning

Lol yes it's definitely the grand jury that has dismissed themselves for the week

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

NY grand jury going on break from April 5-24. Lol and lmao. The gears of justice stops for Christian holidays.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Zotix posted:

NY grand jury going on break from April 5-24. Lol and lmao. The gears of justice stops for Christian holidays.

Unless you're being tongue-in-cheek, I think it's more likely tied to when schools are on spring break. I suppose some juror celebrates Eid al Fitr on April 21st so the judge just said, "Fine, you're all off from Erev Pesach through Eid al Fitr, that gets all of the Abrahamic religions", but it's more likely it's just a bunch of people taking PTO those couple weeks.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Unless you're being tongue-in-cheek, I think it's more likely tied to when schools are on spring break. I suppose some juror celebrates Eid al Fitr on April 21st so the judge just said, "Fine, you're all off from Erev Pesach through Eid al Fitr, that gets all of the Abrahamic religions", but it's more likely it's just a bunch of people taking PTO those couple weeks.

NY public schools get April 6-14th off. Not sure why they're going til the 24th unless its because the judge's kids go to private school that lets out that late or something. (Around here Easter is like a three day weekend and spring break was in mid-March).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Oracle posted:

NY public schools get April 6-14th off. Not sure why they're going til the 24th unless its because the judge's kids go to private school that lets out that late or something. (Around here Easter is like a three day weekend and spring break was in mid-March).

Ah, thanks. I always forget other states have consistent holidays. (In CT different schools are off on different weeks).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cr0y posted:

Good morning

I read "I HAVE GAINED..." and my mind went immediately "sentience".

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Yeah I just saw another tweet saying don't expect any news until the end of April if anything is even going to happen.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Ladies and Gentlemen, we've got him.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/03/30/nyregion/trump-indictment-news

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

yyyyep

thought they took a month off?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
The Happening takes it's time, but it arrives nonetheless.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kiimo posted:

yyyyep

thought they took a month off?
To celebrate maybe?

I'm now curious if the Georgia or any Jan6th stuff will also drop as they were supposedly aligning on this stuff?

Ahhahhha
vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 30, 2023

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

cr0y posted:

Good morning

Good evening!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

crossposting

Rogue Elephant posted:

Wow it's a felony indictment too. I'm really curious as to what they can charge him with. Some sort of money laundering or fraud type deal?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Haha tricked everyone! :yayclod:

I can't read NYT but glimpsed something about a request to surrender?

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Haha tricked everyone! :yayclod:

I can't read NYT but glimpsed something about a request to surrender?

The Guardian (and most other places, I expect) has an article too. They also say that it could easily be a year or multiple to grind through the case, though.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Yeap they're starting to bleed in. Gonna be a great weekend.

Someone can do a better job, it's not Dewey but I can't help myself.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

gently caress YEAH

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So was the reason they're taking a month off then because they expect it to take that long to lay seige to Mar-a-Lago and starve him out and into custody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Randalor posted:

So was the reason they're taking a month off then because they expect it to take that long to lay seige to Mar-a-Lago and starve him out and into custody?

The AP says his attorneys have arranged for him to surrender on Monday.

https://apnews.com/article/trump-hush-money-new-york-indictment-election-027d0e5ac1881a4c55c6379deae75faa