Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Give Link a Codec so we can hear commentary from friends about each ingredient we pick up. Also give Link contextual reactions to dishes. Finally, give him camo options and legalize nukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Khanstant posted:

Give Link a Codec so we can hear commentary from friends about each ingredient we pick up. Also give Link contextual reactions to dishes. Finally, give him camo options and legalize nukes.

You just know that someone is going to fuse together every available crafting material in the game to create a Metal Gear Divine Beast of their own, and one shot the end boss with it.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

BOTW is one of those games I wish I could erase from my brain and play fresh for the first time again. I’ve been deliberately avoiding another play through for like two years since TOTK has been “right around the corner.” I got into it kind of late though, I picked it up in Jan 2019 right after my dad died suddenly in a work accident to distract myself from my own thoughts and it was like a balm for my battered soul.

Not that I’m hoping to play TOTK under those conditions, mind you. But I’m still stoked.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Khanstant posted:

"Hyrule...has changed"

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Manoueverable posted:

The two labyrinths were some of the weirdest but coolest things to stumble across in BotW, so I'll be very interested to see if or how those have changed in Tears based on the background info we have.

Nobody tell them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Khanstant posted:

"I'm afraid it's been...one hundred years "

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Cattail Prophet posted:

Nobody tell them.

Lol maybe they just miscounted.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
I hate to say it, but I'm preparing myself for possible disappointment. I'm not expecting the same leap between BotW and Totk as there was between Skyward Sword and BotW, but I'm really hoping there are more new game mechanics and gameplay elements than what we've seen so far. If it's just BotW with more sandbox stuff and some sky islands to explore, but a less interesting story and all the worst elements of BotW carried right over? Meh

I hope I'm wrong, of course. Nintendo playing this one close to the chest less than 2 months from release is a little weird, but it is Nintendo and they have weird brains sometimes.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

the story has nowhere to go but up

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fish Appreciator posted:

If it's just BotW with more sandbox stuff and some sky islands to explore, but a less interesting story

???

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

It only has two cutscenes, of course it's a less interesting story

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

...Are there even korok puzzles in this game?

If they're just lil dudes walking around this time makes me wonder

The Korok have been infected by Malice. Instead of finding them, you must exterminate them.

This is a darker, more adult Zelda game. I hope you're prepared.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Ytlaya posted:

The Korok have been infected by Malice. Instead of finding them, you must exterminate them.

This is a darker, more adult Zelda game. I hope you're prepared.

Hestu died as he lived (nakey).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fish Appreciator posted:

I hope I'm wrong, of course. Nintendo playing this one close to the chest less than 2 months from release is a little weird, but it is Nintendo and they have weird brains sometimes.

I think it's just Nintendo being confident either that (1) the game will sell regardless or (2) that it's good enough that word of mouth will create natural hype post release instead of them needing a massive marketing campaign pre-release. Possibly both. It's kind of refreshing either way, and it'd be nice if more companies did it. They have to announce the game is in development years out at this point due to how long these things take to make, and needing to inform investors of what they're doing (which inevitably gets to the press, and thus the public), but just announcing it and then basically going shtum on things and letting the game speak for itself good or bad is preferable to years worth of "don't you want this, and this and this and this and this" across a bajillion trailers that build hype, but mean you've seen everything by the time you play the game and almost inevitably feel let down because they spent so long building it up.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 30, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Alxprit posted:

the story has nowhere to go but up

I mean based on what we've seen the story also goes down as well as up.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Fortis posted:

It's a real crime that Nintendo was allowed to erase all previous Zelda games from the timeline when BotW came out!!

For real though I'm not looking forward to another 6 years of people smugly posting about how they hated the latest mainline Zelda as if anyone asked or cares. I still see people doing that about BotW and like, drat, give it a rest.

As a Duke Nukem fan, I've been saying that since 2011! In all seriousness. You got it easy compared to the Duke fan! And I'm mondo hyped for Zelda.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Super No Vacancy posted:

It only has two cutscenes, of course it's a less interesting story

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

:lol:

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Lol maybe they just miscounted.

I probably did, it's been a couple years. Whoops.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We already know the story because there is only one story worth telling, and that's of a special guy who had a lot to learn about managing friendship when youre a nomad with your 12 best friends, dealing with bullies, saving weddings, and ultimately sacrificing himself for every sin along the way.
If you want to spoil the story now, I encourage you to look up this special man and read his story and what he's personally done for your salvation: Tingle

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Khanstant posted:

We already know the story because there is only one story worth telling, and that's of a special guy who had a lot to learn about managing friendship when youre a nomad with your 12 best friends, dealing with bullies, saving weddings, and ultimately sacrificing himself for every sin along the way.
If you want to spoil the story now, I encourage you to look up this special man and read his story and what he's personally done for your salvation: Tingle

okay khanstant after this post I'm now in your corner

We're all expecting caves so that's the one thing where I really hope we haven't all built a collective fantasy over

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the cave-shaped markers on the map are actually just goatses

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't believe they reused the map. Standard game development is to scrap all code and tear down your office and start fresh. No reusing code, hire new employees, nothing from the last game carries over

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Listen up, the Zelda story is always the same. Hatch a giant egg so that the space whale can be free.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I looked at my BotW save and realised I never actually got the Korok mask.

I don't want to be told where it is, but what does "easy way to find it" mean?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

RareAcumen posted:

Can't believe they reused the map. Standard game development is to scrap all code and tear down your office and start fresh. No reusing code, hire new employees, nothing from the last game carries over

The next Zelda game will be completely different. This is the continuation of BOTW so it’s fine.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I would like a new 2D/LA remake-style Zelda. I mean I love BotW and I'm really psyched for TotK but I would like an old-school one too.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
BotW finally clicked for me, and I’ve spent the last couple weeks blowing through. I’m at the end game, and I’m clearing stuff out before fighting the final boss. I think I’ve figured out every Korok summoning gimmick and I always go out of my way to get the ones I stumble across, but I’ve only found less than 200 out of 900 and that is wild. I don’t know if I’ll buy the DLC. Couple questions:

I can only have one manual save, right? If I decide to try an EX quest, I’ll have to consider just never making a new manual save.

I’m trying to make money by cooking to get all the armor sets. My impression is that every ingredient sells for a certain amount raw, a greater amount cooked, and that the final price is the sum of all the cooked ingredients is. It also takes into account whether the food is edible. Therefore, I just want to cook big stacks of the same ingredient and sell them, right?
I have enough hearts that a dish with two hearty durians will refill and max out my hearts, so for actual food I’ll take those plus whatever stat boost food/elixirs I want.
The various fancy dishes all seem less than ideal, like the seafood paella involves hearty blue shell snail and its bonuses being cancelled by armored/mighty porgies, right? Is there a fancy dish that sells for much greater than the sum of its ingredients?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Umbra Dubium posted:

I looked at my BotW save and realised I never actually got the Korok mask.

I don't want to be told where it is, but what does "easy way to find it" mean?

When you wear the mask, it shakes if a Korok is nearby. I’m pretty sure I used that with the motorcycle when I got them all in my game.

The DLC added some nice quality of life stuff.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The next Zelda game will be completely different. This is the continuation of BOTW so it’s fine.

I think that was a joke post.

Dr Christmas posted:

I can only have one manual save, right? If I decide to try an EX quest, I’ll have to consider just never making a new manual save.

You can make another profile on your Switch to have a a separate save.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

RareAcumen posted:

Brb, playing Far Cry Primal

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Frankly I'm getting tired of all the Zelda games just being "legends." Hopefully the next one has the real Zelda.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The real Zelda was the friends we made along the way.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It would be cool if you could make a vehicle that's powered by swarms of enraged cuccoos

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What if you just fuse Cuccoos to enemies and bosses?

Or a Cuccoo to an arrow and you can orbital strike snipe from a distance.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

RareAcumen posted:

this bothered me even when I was a kid

I think it's the coolest thing to revisit an area of a previous game in a new one, but it almost never happens. The rare times it does, the new area often looks nothing like the previous one, likely due to the problem of there being new engine or artists or designers or programmers

so in a lot of ways Tears of the Kingdom is already the coolest video game ever made

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

When they reused the graphics of OoT for Wind waker I was a little sad but held my tongue because it was the greatest Zelda game. Then they reused the LttP map for Link Between Worlds and I almost cried but held it back because it was a "fun game to play." Then when they announced they were reusing an unreleased BotW DLC to make another game I couldn't hold it back anymore and I cried so hard I don't even know what kind of political leadership to assign to the region required to hold the volume of my tears.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

I think I’ve figured out every Korok summoning gimmick and I always go out of my way to get the ones I stumble across, but I’ve only found less than 200 out of 900 and that is wild.
I thought this and then I found three consecutive fences and realized I know nothing lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if reusing the map means "we were able to layer an entire game's worth of new stuff on top of it" then i am totally fine with them reusing the map.