Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
If I read those patch notes correctly, and there’s no guarantee that I did, seismic trap is unchanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

xZAOx posted:

Reminding us of this, that we got a couple of weeks ago: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3359438

They've been on a good run of nearing Blizzard levels of lies the past several leagues.

:goonsay:

Might finally league-start seismic trap.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Based on all the changes they're making to acts the poe 2 campaign is going to suck so hard

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
After playing D4 for two weekends, I'm finding it difficult to imagine the player who skips a PoE league for a D4 league. They are very different games.

I think the biggest risk would be if your friends like D4 and you prefer playing with them to any specific arpg.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Don't most people quit a league by 7 weeks in anyway? I feel like the league after Diablo 4 is the important one to see if they can get the same numbers as usual.

Typically about half the players are gone after 2 weeks, maybe 30% left after a month

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Been out moving house today. Just wanted to get to a couple things I didn’t have a chance to respond to Sorry for :words: and I’ll stop being all thread main character after the fact unless people want to talk about it any further.

Deki posted:

The audio design part might be where it's tricky for GGG.

I think their audio engine is entirely built in-house so if they didn't think of that solution it might well be a pain in the rear end to implement compared to a TTS reader for tooltips or the colorblind options they added recently.

Still, I'd be happy to see you get these options.

Probably not, last I checked item compare was actually broken pretty badly

Accessibility is easy to build for from first principles, and very difficult to retrofit. The more developers understand this the better. It should be a feature as core to a game as picking your resolution. We’re going the right way on this, but I guarantee you’re going to hear a lot of excuses from devs about expense and time spent when in reality what they should be doing is offering at the least a mea culpa and a we’ll do better on our next project. At the least.

totalnewbie posted:

Here's just the first video I googled of someone using a screen reader.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdFG-UXDmX4

I play MUDs with some VI folks and their screen readers are way faster than even that, I feel, from the little bits I've heard of their screen reader/settings.

I think the big problem with using TTS in PoE is that when you start crafting, you learn to visually glance at an item and without even really reading it, figure out if it's got potential or not simply from the shape of the text. It's fine if you're only rolling something a few times but once you start spamming essences by the hundreds, it feels like it'd be exhausting with a screen reader. Even more so than it already is, I mean.

I know you didn’t mean any offense by this, but I want to gently push back on the idea that just because an accessibility option is not ideal, that doesn’t mean it isn’t still at least serviceable. The fact is, getting information auditorially is always going to be slower than seeing it. Neuroplasticity is a wild thing. FYI VI people’s brains utilize the visual cortex to comprehend high rate speech. What I’m saying is that even if it’s not an ideal solution, it’s good enough for the moment. D4’s setup isn’t ideal either. Going through affixes and gear stats at a pace that annoys me isn’t ideal, but I have enough usable vision to skip the labored delivery and look at it myself. Other players that don’t have that luxury will, for the first time in any ARPG ever, have access to that information in total. Seriously, I can’t believe Bliz isn’t shooting for the easy PR win with this. It’s as good as, if not better than Naughty Dog’s work on TLoU II. Though in that game, they had very different methods to reach an end goal. It was novel, but this is better because it doesn’t require a subversion of the baseline gameplay systems. I’m playing the same game you’re playing, when it comes to D4. The same can’t be said of ND’s work on TLoU II. Doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be there. Just that when people say they want accessibility, they want access, not ease or simplicity.

External Organs posted:

They also should have some money for it, they got that tencent cash...

I work in healthcare. We are all gonna need this poo poo sooner or later if we want to keep on gaming.

A tremendous amount of ableism comes from human beings’ collective fear of mortality and ostracization. While you’re right, I never liked this line of reasoning, accurate as it is. It makes people scared and that’s the last thing I’d ever want to do when campaigning for a more accessible gaming industry. Still, you’re right, and it is worth repeating insofar as it pushes people out of their narrow conception of ability.

totalnewbie posted:

I also think it's partially naivete - you DO need some sight to be able to play PoE. So if you can see, then you can probably read what's on the screen well enough to at least play the game, right? RIGHT? So okay, sure, colorblind stuff we get, but screen reader? Don't think that's necessary.

Or something along those lines. Like I said, naivete.

It could also very well simply be a lack of resources to allocate towards what is, you have to admit, a pretty small subset of their audience or even potential audience. And I'm sure they could probably hire a person or two to work on it but, well, if it doesn't make sense financially then it becomes a difficult sell for the business. I'm not saying it's good or right, don't get me wrong, but I'm sure VI folks are already all too aware of the realities they face (again, even if it's not good or right).

Is the audience small because the audience is small? Or is it small because only a select few have the knowledge, connections, resources, and background that allows them a toe in the door? If we want to consider reaching audiences, I think we should view disabled gamers as an untapped reservoir of expansive knowledge and new perspectives, rather than a shrill minority. I know that’s not your intent here, but these kinds of arguments, however well-meant, ultimately hurt the cause, because they take the onus off the developer, on whose shoulders it squarely rests to provide accessible products. In the past, ignorance was an excuse. A fair one, too, i’d say. I’m 36 and have been gaming for thirty of those years. I never held it against devs for not being telepathic and honestly I bought into the poo poo about the expense and the tiny minority and all that. As I’ve watched other minority folks campaign ceaselessly for their needs, I’ve come to understand that all these arguments do in the end is maintain an inaccessible status quo. I’m not razzing you, fyi. Your points are points I’ve heard a million times. I’m just providing a little shading to the issue.

Arivia posted:

My apologies BurningBeard. I was uninformed and incorrect. Thank you for taking the time and energy to explain things to me.

You’re quite welcome. No apologies necessary. Lack of awareness isn’t offensive. Bullheaded obstinacy is. Thanks for giving me the platform to talk about it. I often get some real poo poo behavior from people when I bring it up.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Vulpes posted:

Might finally league-start seismic trap.

Same. Skill itself didn't get touched, Like Clockwork instead of Perfect Crime seems like it might be slightly better (edit: oh, missed that old Chain Reaction had 50% CDR while Like Clockwork is only 30%, that's a nerf). Levelling will suck a bit more because of the Explosive Trap nerf.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 30, 2023

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

There's definitely a lot of nerfs, some more deserved than others, along with the big power creep from the league mechanic. I'm shocked that Temporal Chains escaped unscathed.

I think there's a few pretty crazy things hiding in small places that people haven't caught on to yet. Life on flask use as a mastery and PF's new master surgeon are both pretty crazy, there's a ton of LGOH, instant leech. Recovery overall is going to be nuts. Extra proj + extra arrow on tree is a big deal.

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

If I read those patch notes correctly, and there’s no guarantee that I did, seismic trap is unchanged.

Sabo lost a lot for it.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

I was so hype to scroll down to the Skill Balance section thinking surely, surely!, this was the league that they would do a big balance pass on underused skill gems. Imagine my loving surprise when it would fit on a post-it note and it's all nerfs.

Reservation nerfs in masteries are absolutely brutal. :lol: and :lmao: to the loving Arcane Surge changes, holy poo poo.

Not sure what to play. I backed in to a Corrupting Blood build a few leagues ago that ended up being fun. How's that as a starter? And no heatshiver nerfs means that the cold stuff should still be pretty good. Oof - you know that feeling when you only realize your hopes were up when you finally get let down? I'm feeling that rn.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MerrMan posted:

I was so hype to scroll down to the Skill Balance section thinking surely, surely!, this was the league that they would do a big balance pass on underused skill gems. Imagine my loving surprise when it would fit on a post-it note and it's all nerfs.

Reservation nerfs in masteries are absolutely brutal. :lol: and :lmao: to the loving Arcane Surge changes, holy poo poo.

Not sure what to play. I backed in to a Corrupting Blood build a few leagues ago that ended up being fun. How's that as a starter? And no heatshiver nerfs means that the cold stuff should still be pretty good. Oof - you know that feeling when you only realize your hopes were up when you finally get let down? I'm feeling that rn.

Chris Wilson talked a bit about that during the livestream - they know people want changes to underused skill gems, but they were doing the mastery changes and the ascendancy changes (they had intended to change a lot of ascendancies but only actually had two ready to ship for this league) and want to see those settle before they start reworking a bunch of skill gems. Which is fair, even if it feels kinda rotten.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Also, last league shows that adding Vaal skills really can be meaningful buffs to the base skills.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'd been planning a witch starter, and even been doing some practice act 1 runs with it, so yeah, I'm salty at the moment, heh. The wand changes are a big kick, and the reservation changes are a big hit too.

Probably try to figure something else out instead.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I hope Prismatic Burst looks cool and is good, because it sounds fun. If so, I'll probably play with that while leveling and then do some silly trigger-sabo plan after second lab.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m excited for the Vaal rejuvenating totem reveal

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Am I missing something or is poison SRS pretty fine? It just loses the 80% inc off of the sword, right? That just cuts it down from Excessively Way Too Much loving Damage to Way Too Much Damage?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I was pretty pumped watching the stream and thought I'd probably jump in even without new endgame, but now I'm back to maybe 50/50. I'm admittedly a casual, and this is the most frustrating game I've ever not just said gently caress this and walked away from, so I mostly just check in when there's significant new content, but for whatever reason I'm kind of feeling the urge. I guess I'll see how things shake out in the first week and decide then.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

Am I missing something or is poison SRS pretty fine? It just loses the 80% inc off of the sword, right? That just cuts it down from Excessively Way Too Much loving Damage to Way Too Much Damage?
it's barely even a nerf, since instead of wither support you now slot in chance to poison support. so you lose 20% poison and 80% increased minion damage, but gain 35% wither chance and 94-141 added chaos.

it's worse at the low end if you were using the sword + dendrobate to hit max minion chance to poison, but same or better at high end.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Just a note, CDR doesn't effect CwC trigger speed. So sabo is unlikely to be a good choice for CwC builds.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i mean, i guess the nerf is that unlinked covenants will be 10 div easy in the first week then

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I'm bummed about no "reroll keep -fix" for weapons and jewelry not coming back

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Some examples of what Crucible'd items will look like in plaintext: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3361443/page/1#p24925820

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FZeroRacer posted:

it's barely even a nerf, since instead of wither support you now slot in chance to poison support. so you lose 20% poison and 80% increased minion damage, but gain 35% wither chance and 94-141 added chaos.

it's worse at the low end if you were using the sword + dendrobate to hit max minion chance to poison, but same or better at high end.

Yeah it might actually be a buff. Wither support isn't a great support gem for SRS, and added chaos damage is way better than increased minion damage.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm a big fan of the patch note that's just "we put eternal orbs back in the game, but only for ruthless" for some reason.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Ruthless is testing for PoE2

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

quote:

The Unique Item drop chances for Catarina, Master of Undeath have been rebalanced.

not quite how i expected them to kill devouring diadem but i like it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think I'm gonna start as Lightning Arrow because Vaal LA looks sick.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The patch notes reminds me of that gif where one guy (Poison SRS) pokes a guy behind his back, then that guy (GGG) takes his shirt off and hits the wrong guy in the face (every other build).

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I'm a bit surprised that the minion masteries weren't touched. They have not been very good for a while now.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

https://twitter.com/Zizaran/status/1641579402201899009

When one of your main cheerleaders comes out with this, you've got some work to do.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Did they ever say Ruthless was always going to be a side project? I don't remember that, I remember them talking about making the mode.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Benson Cunningham posted:

The Tulfall Unique Wand is now found on the Opal Wand basetype (previously Tornado Wand). It now has 10-20% increased Cast Speed (previously 10-15%). It no longer has 15-20% increased Cold Damage per Frenzy Charge. Instead, it now Adds 50-70 Cold Damage to Spells per Power Charge.

Cool change, but the big problem with this is that it will have to compete with Void Battery for the item slots. Would need to see the math on the breakpoints.

that would be at absolute minimum competitive with void battery on a badge build, since you'd be getting like 400% inc cold and 1200 flat cold damage from a well rolled pair

saintonan posted:

When one of your main cheerleaders comes out with this, you've got some work to do.

eh the league has a billion cool changes in it though it is a shame that they're running the competition in ruthless. barely anyone plays ruthless or wants to play ruthless and even worse, literally no one watches ruthless. that poo poo gets less viewers than late-league kalandra did

from the perspective of a player this is by far the most refreshing bunch of balance changes in a long time and the masteries in particular have some really big buffs in there. like if you play ele builds, rf, anything that leeches, bows (or dare to dream of playing bows on something that isn't a deadeye) there's wildly good stuff for you in the new masteries and nodes

from the perspective of a spectator: don't make me loving watch ruthless

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 31, 2023

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Did they ever say Ruthless was always going to be a side project? I don't remember that, I remember them talking about making the mode.

There were definitely some assurances made at the time of announcement that no significant resources were going to be spent on it though I doubt they ever said "side project"

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

There were definitely some assurances made at the time of announcement that no significant resources were going to be spent on it though I doubt they ever said "side project"

I'm pretty sure that was not an indefinite promise but I don't remember the exact verbiage

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
The leveling nerfs are really silly, though it occurred to me that I never used anything that got nerfed.

I usually try to make firestorm work at some point in a league, but I think Vaal Firestorm doesn't really sound all that interesting on paper. Maybe some of the mastery changes will make it less worthless.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Is there a youtube link to the Q and A? Its not on ziggyd's or poe's channels.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
RF leveling is going to be really, really good and hell you could probably do it blind and just grab life and regen/recovery nodes and masteries and sustain rf from basically the moment you get your fire res capped

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

saintonan posted:

ziz is crying that the race event isn't centered around him and the same other 4 people that it has been for the last year

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

BurningBeard posted:

Is the audience small because the audience is small? Or is it small because only a select few have the knowledge, connections, resources, and background that allows them a toe in the door? If we want to consider reaching audiences, I think we should view disabled gamers as an untapped reservoir of expansive knowledge and new perspectives, rather than a shrill minority. I know that’s not your intent here, but these kinds of arguments, however well-meant, ultimately hurt the cause, because they take the onus off the developer, on whose shoulders it squarely rests to provide accessible products. In the past, ignorance was an excuse. A fair one, too, i’d say. I’m 36 and have been gaming for thirty of those years. I never held it against devs for not being telepathic and honestly I bought into the poo poo about the expense and the tiny minority and all that. As I’ve watched other minority folks campaign ceaselessly for their needs, I’ve come to understand that all these arguments do in the end is maintain an inaccessible status quo. I’m not razzing you, fyi. Your points are points I’ve heard a million times. I’m just providing a little shading to the issue.

I'm still struggling greatly (especially after having met and talked to my VI MUD-playing friends) to not only change my mindset around disabilities but also to express myself better. It's also not helped that the range of disabilities is large and at a certain point, it is perhaps reasonable to say, "I'm sorry, you just can't." Maybe I'm wrong in that, but an example to me would simply be asking GGG to make PoE accessible on a headless PC. So between that and changing icon shapes to help the colorblind, where do we draw the line to say what's reasonable and what's too much? It's been my experience (and I attribute this to 10% actually correct, 10% ignorance, and 80% unintended ableism) that what I perceive as challenges for people aren't actually as challenging as it seems. So I'm also sure that what I imagine to be points of difficulty in making PoE increasingly accessible to the VI community (I think evidenced by my crafting example) is probably not difficult to solve as I think.

But I do totally agree with you that the onus is on developers to make games more accessible and your point about lack of accessibility for a small audience (here meaning VI folks) keeping the audience small being a self-fulfilling prophecy is completely correct. My point was that getting businesses to agree to take that on is, from a very cynical point of view, basically telling the business to take on risk and from a pure numbers perspective, it could very well be right that hiring some devs, maybe some consultants about VI issues for gaming, etc., will cost more than the returns they would get. Or it could be totally wrong, of course. But ultimately, at least inferred through their actions, they believe it to be the case.

Besides the faulty analysis based on the afore-mentioned self-fulfilling prophecy, in that development comes a lot of intangible benefits that are not reflected on the numbers sheet. For example, audio cues are a very big part of games as you already mentioned. PoE's visual clarity varies but sometimes can be extremely bad (understatement). In those times, audio cues become even more relevant. To a sighted person, some of these audio cues are enough. But they could certainly be improved and input from VI players is probably the best input you could ever get regarding audio cues. To me, it's clear that improving the game for VI and other people with disabilities necessarily makes the game better for everyone else as well. But it doesn't show up on the budget sheet so it "doesn't count".

Honestly, although I do wish that developers wouldn't have to have their hands forced (and I know many developers are more than happy to do it willingly) or at least helped along heavily (whether pushed unwillingly via punishments or pulled willingly via incentives), I think in the end that's where it's necessary for organizations, whether it's governments or others, to step in and say, "You should do XYZ." It could come in many forms, right, like simply mandating a certain level of access (however it's defined..) or setting up standards and providing assistance to allow easy integration of games (and other software) with TTS technology. It shouldn't have to be that way, but I think if you take a look around, you're never going to run out things that "shouldn't have to be that way."

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
can someone treat me like the idiot baby i am and explain why everyone's calling this a nerf league? specific masteries got hit hard but it seems like any build which uses a weapon (haha get hosed pconc) can also reasonably hope to gain a shitload of power above the POB through the league mechanic. the defensive auras got their reservation masteries exploded but going from 2 defensive auras to one defensive and one offensive aura seems like kind of a wash for sc trade players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
oh man, the 9 energy blade likers in the playerbase are also in a shambles right now, huh