Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Same with Demon Souls and Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It sounds to me like nobody actually gives a poo poo about the mobile game and everybody loves Vampire Survivors, #3 Goon Game of the Year 2022!

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

exquisite tea posted:

It sounds to me like nobody actually gives a poo poo about the mobile game and everybody loves Vampire Survivors, #3 Goon Game of the Year 2022!

https://www.pcgamer.com/vampire-survivors-creator-didnt-have-a-vision-when-he-started-making-the-game-that-allowed-him-to-quit-his-job/

Sounds to me like the guy who made it gives a poo poo? What the gently caress.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Should've tried giving it that extra jeuje

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Magic Survival was updated after VS came out to play exactly like VS but without the character unlocks or secrets which is most of the fun of VS anyway. They both copied each other

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Those games are all just Crimson Land clones anyway. Besides, the thing that made VS the phenomenon that it was was its ridiculous amount of ever growing unlocks, systems and secrets, did Magic Survivor have all of that? Legit curious, I don't know.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mordja posted:

Those games are all just Crimson Land clones anyway. Besides, the thing that made VS the phenomenon that it was was its ridiculous amount of ever growing unlocks, systems and secrets, did Magic Survivor have all of that? Legit curious, I don't know.

Nah, it's the chest opening music.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mordja posted:

Those games are all just Crimson Land clones anyway. Besides, the thing that made VS the phenomenon that it was was its ridiculous amount of ever growing items, systems and secrets, did Magic Survivor have all of that? Legit curious, I don't know.

No, not really. At least not until they updated Magic Survival after Vampire Survivors became popular to add things that people loved about VS like evolutions and whatnot. Like Gadzuko said they both copied off of each others games. It's disingenuous as hell to say VS is a 1:1 copy of another game in the same way it would be to say Minecraft copied Infiniminer or Elden Ring copied any open world game that came before it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

lunar detritus posted:

Just like minecraft copied infiniminer, doesn't mean that minecraft didn't create the genre. Or wordle being based on an old pen and paper game.

This just feels like a semantic argument between popularizing something and creating it. The guy who made Wordle popularized the format well beyond what it was before, but it's still just a direct clone of the old game show Lingo.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
VS making that genre explode probably made that other game way more popular than it otherwise would have been

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

explosivo posted:

No, not really. At least not until they updated Magic Survival after Vampire Survivors became popular to add things that people loved about VS like evolutions and whatnot. Like Gadzuko said they both copied off of each others games. It's disingenuous as hell to say VS is a 1:1 copy of another game in the same way it would be to say Minecraft copied Infiniminer or Elden Ring copied any open world game that came before it.

I literally have the 2020 version of Magic Survival on my phone and it has class and stage unlocks, like, what?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

This just feels like a semantic argument between popularizing something and creating it. The guy who made Wordle popularized the format well beyond what it was before, but it's still just a direct clone of the old game show Lingo.
Which is itself based on a pen and paper game named Jotto.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
If the original Magic Survival didn't have weapon evolutions then it's basically a completely different game :shrug:

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

mycot posted:

If the original Magic Survival didn't have weapon evolutions then it's basically a completely different game :shrug:

it... did? There were just less of them.

e: https://cafe.naver.com/magicsurviva...rticles%3Dfalse

July 2020 patch notes referring to fusion magic for the person who thinks that Magic Survival somehow patched these in after VS already had them. I was playing Magic Survival on my phone 6 months before VS came out. Artifacts, weapon evolves, character classes were in Magic Survival already.

I'm not saying VS is a bad game, I like it, it's just not true to say it invented the genre.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 30, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Controversial opinion: Elden Ring and Vampire Survivors are both good games.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kazil posted:

Not possible. There can only be one good game at a time.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Turns out VS is a British game.
(still deserved)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kennel posted:

Turns out VS is a British game.

Vampyre Survivours

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Anyone play Kenshi?

It's like if you wanted to play Fallout 1 but in the Mount and Blade engine and everything was 100x jankier and the dialogue is completely useless and written by what I guess are edgy 13 year-olds from 2003... it's a pretty rad game. I'm only 14 hours in, which is to say I've gotten to the part where I have like a little house and some buds. A legless bandit approached us as we were mining and he single-handedly mauled us. He stole our food, and as he crawled away my main character bled to death from head trauma.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/233860/Kenshi/

I love this janky rear end game.

Also: man, it ran like a fuckin hog to the point I didn't think it was playable. Then I downloaded this small mod some cocky fella made. Bam, the game looks fuckin twice as good and runs ten times better wtf

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
There’s a billion awards things apparently, it’s ok if elden rings doesn’t win one I suppose

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
This thread is a bit grouchy today.

I'm gonna buy Dredge I think! Looks fun as hell. I like the combination of the horrific and mundane.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
People in this thread are realizing that awards ceremonies are popularity contests! News at a 11!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Sway Grunt posted:

I'm sure everyone here has a lot of great games just sitting around in their backlogs, waiting. I've finally played through the one of mine that most stuck in my craw, in the sense that I knew I should make it a priority but just didn't. But finally knocked out Legend of Grimrock 2. Absolute top tier game. 35 hours of pure Quality Gaming™. Feel like a genius when you test a theory to solve some vaguely-hinted riddle/puzzle and it works, the gate opens, you've figured it out. I got to the normal ending without looking anything up but lost a bit of patience after reloading to go for the secret ending, so used some hints for the cleanup.

Maybe this'll put some wind in my sails and I can get to some of the other heavy hitters in my backlog... but more likely it won't.
LoG 2 is low-key one of the best games ever made; it's absolutely criminal that it never got any real attention. The exploration and puzzling is just perfect. Any fan of dungeon crawlers needs to try it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I think its funny that when I first played VS it was just filled to the brim with sprites stolen straight from Castlevania but luckily Konami never seemed to notice.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

kazil posted:

Macichne Leainig posted:

Not possible. There can only be one good game at a time.
They take turns.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I think its funny that when I first played VS it was just filled to the brim with sprites stolen straight from Castlevania but luckily Konami never seemed to notice.
Turned out the sprites were just from an asset pack he used, though he did end up paying an artist to redo a few that people felt were too similar to Castlevania. None of them were actually taken directly from any specific source game.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

they still haven't replaced the key art that's just traced over from bayonetta 2s box art lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

that's foreshadowing so you're not surprised when bayonetta shows up

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Can I dive straight into Legend of Grimrock 2? Would I be missing anything by skipping #1. I have limited enough time for gaming, so might as well jump straight to the best one if that is a valid option.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Orvin posted:

Can I dive straight into Legend of Grimrock 2? Would I be missing anything by skipping #1. I have limited enough time for gaming, so might as well jump straight to the best one if that is a valid option.

You can dive right into Grimrock 2.

Agree with the person above, one of my favorite games ever.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Both of them are absolutely great. #2 is definitively "the same but more" with some added prettiness (and higher sys reqs! Grimrock1 was notable for being very pretty on low end machines back in the day)

Vibe-wise, #1 is a more concise directed experience with an awesome boss, while #2 is is less claustrophobic with a larger world and more assets.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Tainted Grail out today.
It is in early access as games are these days, supposedly made by 1 guy, or was, not sure if still.
I took the plunge and snagged it.
It is very much a non Bethesda Elder Scrolls game.
Combat feels fine, haven't really tried magic much though yet.
Spells are equipable, so its not like you get a ton at hand to use, though you can dual hand 2 at a time.

There is a wheel, but thats just to access your loadouts or 3 slotted consumables.
I would say that if you like Skyrim then its probably enjoyable.
It is pretty dark overall, but looks good.

There doesnt seem to be an option for gamma yet, or to change keybinds away from WASD.
Though he has said soon in the multiple threads asking.
Stuff like archery and athletics are leveled by using those skills.
So running and jumping like a madman is mandatory.
You start out at 5 str, 5 dex, 5 end etc and get a point on each level, plus a point for a perk, standard fare

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 31, 2023

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Orvin posted:

They're not story-connected in any way (or if they are, it's so minor I didn't even notice it). I would say go straight for 2.

There's only one tiny thing I would suggest to new players, and that's (slight mechanics spoiler): if you're putting a mage in your party (and you should), don't create them with only Water Magic skill, or they'll have to spend an entire level not being able to cast anything. It's fine to take it as long as you've got a second element.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 31, 2023

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

credburn posted:

Anyone play Kenshi?
careful or you will summon stux

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Well thats '23 goty sorted https://store.steampowered.com/app/1702130/ACL_Pro_Cornhole/

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i love that this is what farsight went for after pinball arcade died.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

LoG 2 is low-key one of the best games ever made; it's absolutely criminal that it never got any real attention. The exploration and puzzling is just perfect. Any fan of dungeon crawlers needs to try it.

I can't get past the fact that combat involves both a series of rapid, accurate clicks on either a single attack button or a sequence of mystic runes, and also stepping away from and back towards your opponent to 'dodge' in a hacky, cheaty-feeling way

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Awesome! posted:

i love that this is what farsight went for after pinball arcade died.

unbelievable

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

John Lee posted:

I can't get past the fact that combat involves both a series of rapid, accurate clicks on either a single attack button or a sequence of mystic runes, and also stepping away from and back towards your opponent to 'dodge' in a hacky, cheaty-feeling way
There's a reason I said that it was the exploration and puzzling that was perfect and not the combat. :v: Although the real secret to enemies is to always try to stay diagonal to them and wait until they come to you. :ssh:

IMO it's serviceable enough for the type of game Grimrock is trying to be. But I don't think it's wrong to feel a bit put off by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Action strafe combat is the exact type of game Grimrock is trying to be.