Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

ARTPUP posted:

The Biden Administration is pretty much anti-merger (and anti-oil, ...)...

Is it really? The Willow project and drilling sounds like it's pretty pro-domestic oil exploration and production. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

MetaJew posted:

Is it really? The Willow project and drilling sounds like it's pretty pro-domestic oil exploration and production. Please correct me if I am wrong.

They want to appear to be anti-drilling while authorizing more drilling.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Green corporate activism (like the Engine No 1 saga at Exxon) has been an unexpected short term boost for some oil investors. Discouraging further investment into drilling both restricts market supply (increasing price) as well as encouraging the companies to return more of those un-invested profits to shareholders in the form of dividends/buybacks.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1640743390227709953

Interesting tweet because of what’s missing: any kind of sustained spike during the dotcom bubble.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1640743390227709953

Interesting tweet because of what’s missing: any kind of sustained spike during the dotcom bubble.

Did that happen too quickly for it to create too much drawn out negativity?

Also I guess it didn't really come with the same "oh poo poo the entire financial system is crumbling" that the GFC did.

I wonder if the current negative sentiment is along existential lines like the GFC or more akin to whinging that the Fed is making number sad by raising rates.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

gay picnic defence posted:

Did that happen too quickly for it to create too much drawn out negativity?

Also I guess it didn't really come with the same "oh poo poo the entire financial system is crumbling" that the GFC did.

I wonder if the current negative sentiment is along existential lines like the GFC or more akin to whinging that the Fed is making number sad by raising rates.

the sp500 didn't hit the bottom of the dot com bubble poppinguntil 2003, it was a rather drawn out slide down.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

MetaJew posted:

On President Biden's first day in office he killed the Keystone pipeline project. He's generally stated "no more drilling" and giving the cold shoulder to oil and gas. So they held back on funding future projects. Now we face rising demand for oil (& higher prices) and Biden's been sucking from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve on a regular basis to try and keep the prices down. And surprise! Oil and Gas producers are reluctant to fund new projects in the current administration. So now reality kicks in, the SPR can't be tapped forever, supply from secure sources can't keep up with demand and we're returning to 1970's times of inflation. Oh yeah, and we lost Saudi Arabia as an ally so China is now stepping up and buying from our sources. So what to do? Blame Russia of course! Then make nice with Venezuela and offer to lift some sanctions to get Chevron back in there. I mean, before you just let the country collapse and called President Maduro a blood thirsty dictator but now he's our pal. (my guess is the US is still going to try and get him killed within a few years) This to ensure the US can tap into a supply of oil, you know the same grade that would have come from Keystone.. Now they have no choice but to try and setup drilling projects on federal lands because there isn't a lot of choices left on US soil.

If this was a Republican President, the media would be all over this screaming bloody murder. Everyone gives President (Old Man) Biden a pass because they are afraid of fuelling the Trump Dumpster fire. The US is in serious trouble.

Buffet keeps buying Occidental Petroleum, he now owns over 20% of the company. There is a reason.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

If only there was some kind of vehicle that dumbass 'muricans could purchase that got good mileage and/or didn't use petroleum

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
So ignoring every other cause of a decrease in new rigs, you, you think the lack of new rigs since 2020, caused by Biden's stance, is the primary factor driving recent/current inflation?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Jenkl posted:

So ignoring every other cause of a decrease in new rigs, you, you think the lack of new rigs since 2020, caused by Biden's stance, is the primary factor driving recent/current inflation?

The number of rigs has been dropping for decades. It's a useless metric because the production per rig isn't constant.

Edit: lol at listening to the words that come out of a president's mouth. He's been paying lip service to no more drilling while authorizing more drilling.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dept of Interior announced an auction of 73 million acres in the Gulf for drilling literally today.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Ignore on the first post seems worth it.

Lol ya biden hates business

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I read somewhere there's been gently caress all exploration expenditure over the last decade, largely because developing an oil/gas field is a very long term investment and no one can confidently claim there's going to sufficient demand in a decade or so to make these projects profitable.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's also a gently caress ton of rigs idle, seeping "new" oil ready to be pumped, waiting for oil to hit some magic price point to reactivate. An old friend of mine works for some lower mid tier oil company and she "manages" their "portfolio" of inactive wells on some spreadsheet. Companies trade them like magic:tg or Pokemon cards. There's still a lot of oil left in depleted fields, there's just a lot of lower hanging fruit. If you're willing to pay $200bbl I bet they could reactivate a well and ship the oil to your door in 90 days

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Shell announced that they hit peak oil in 2021 and I know other companies have said similar things since the gas crunch a few months ago, so I'm kind of surprised that there's that much demand for new wells to be built

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
We're not eliminating our reliance on plastics, synthetics, and other petroleum derivatives last I checked, even in EVs.

Conversation is rightly fuel centric but shouldn't be exclusive to it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would guess that local government is pretty dependent on oil revenue as well. Alaska famously has their Permanent Fund Dividend that paid out $3200 last year, and probably funds a lot of infrastructure

In california they sell corn-based-plastic/disposable silverware already but you're right we're highly dependent on plastics

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

The Door Frame posted:

Shell announced that they hit peak oil in 2021 and I know other companies have said similar things since the gas crunch a few months ago, so I'm kind of surprised that there's that much demand for new wells to be built

Peak oil as in .... they're now in terminal decline?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Red posted:

Peak as in, "we don't forsee ever producing a larger volume of oil in any coming year"

This CNN Article posted:

Based on the company's forecasts, Shell's oil production will decline by as much as 18% by 2030, and 45% by 2050. But that means it will still be producing more than 1 million barrels of oil a day in 2050. (The company produced nearly 1.9 million barrels of oil a day in 2019)

The era of oil is nowhere near over, just strange to have oil companies saying that they're slowly winding down production, but still be expanding production capabilities. I realize there's also a chance that I'm a naive idiot for relying on oil corporations to be honest about anything, but this is what Shell, BP, and others have said independent of one another

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The vibe I’ve gotten is that a lot of these guys figure the oil price will slump so low they can’t make much long term, but Saudi, UAE, and other places can probably saturate the demand for chemicals/plastics/niche fuels.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yes that region is looking at investing rapidly into different types of energy and is about to become a lot more broadly invested. I wish I knew how to leverage that in the market somehow

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Yeah, my understanding is they don't expect the price to drop tomorrow, it might even (probably will) be climbing for a few years, but the payoff on new fields and refineries is something like 20 years so they're very hesitant to invest now because they think the price is very likely to drop in that period due to the increasing use of alternatives. So better to stop expanding production now, profit off the increased price due to lowered supply in the short term, and not be holding a lot of worthless assets in the long term.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 30, 2023

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Nessus posted:

The vibe I’ve gotten is that a lot of these guys figure the oil price will slump so low they can’t make much long term, but Saudi, UAE, and other places can probably saturate the demand for chemicals/plastics/niche fuels.

globally, people are slowly trying to move away from oil on everything even at a governmental level. This is not just a matter of "oil bad" but more like more sustainable products that produce biodegradable plastics and move to ev's and a whole ton of other uses. This isn't something that magically happened in 2022, but the oil demand has been declining for the better part of a decade . Doesn't mean oil prices can't go to stupid levels, but at some point within a couple decades a lot of people will be walking away from oil as a majority. Common phrasing is "oil demand destruction", and it's been forecast for a decade.

The recent pullback from Persian oil providers and Russia, etc are just tryin to keep price propped.

efb: vvvvv

Bremen posted:

Yeah, my understanding is they don't expect the price to drop tomorrow, it might even (probably will) be climbing for a few years, but the payoff on new fields and refineries is something like 20 years so they're very hesitant to invest now because they think the price is very likely to drop in that period due to the increasing use of alternatives. So better to stop expanding production now, profit off the increased price due to lowered supply in the short term, and not be holding a lot of worthless assets in the long term.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Red posted:

Shell doesn't want to be an Oil company over the long haul. It remains to be seen what they will look like when it's all said and done.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

re: oil, it's good to keep in mind that the US is (just barely) a net exporter of oil, at least prior to the ukraine war:
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=727

quote:

The resulting total net petroleum imports (imports minus exports) were about -0.06 million b/d in 2021, which means that the United States was a net petroleum exporter of 0.06 million b/d in 2021

But we operate our oil on the free market principles that mean if global oil prices rise, the price domestic oil consumers pay goes up too, even though in theory we could slam shut our borders and be self-sufficient on oil priced at whatever fixed price the government says.

There are obviously a lot more complexities.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

wtf burry i sold everything based on your advice!!!

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
The RYCEY I got at its 3 year peak back in Summer/Fall 2021 (because I'm smart) is finally back to where it was. Finally, this investment has paid off and I have gained 0.57%.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I bought a meta quest 2 last week.

I bought meta puts this week.

(The thing is fun and all, but as a platform/strategy it's been a very enlightening experience. Let's just say I'm really glad I can play my steam library through it)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

:hmmyes:

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

I bought some 4/21 $DWAC and $RUM puts on their big jumps today. Hoping that’s plenty of time for both of them to sell off.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
RUM sure but DWAC still has that $10 relative floor. I sold DWAC calls 😈

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Let's assume, for the sake of fun argument and theorycrafting, that in 2023 there is a default on Treasurys in the form of delayed payment on coupons or principal at maturity. This is a very low probability (not saying this is at all likely). For argument's sake, how would you hedge against this in a long-only, (no inverse ETF / no options / no leveraged ETFs) portfolio?

gold? often moves in tandem with bond prices
money market fund? often backed by treasury bills (although I'm sure the fed would backstop these via reverse repo if needed)
foreign sovereign bonds? yields often move with treasurys
stocks? if the US govt is in default, that will spell disaster for other spending too, thus misses on corp revenues
vol? no leveraged ETFs
corp bonds? yields often move with treasurys
commodity ETF? if US govt spending sinks, so does demand for most commodities
currency ETFs? maybe

I'm not sure if there is a great solution here. The most likely safe option would be a money market fund. The comedy options would be like, a long Yen fund or a A/AAA IG fund like QLTA (seeing corp yields go below T-Bond yields). Maybe gold would decouple with bonds.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Iraqi dinars would probably be the way to go in that scenario

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Long only and no options kills you there, it basically eliminates all the options that exist as hedges. Straight up cash would be the way I "hedge". I mean in real life puts would be the hedge but in this case I would probably just move to cash.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

my unserious answer is guns and beans, but the serious answer is probably that gold decouples with bonds when the us govt defaults on its debt, which is to say so many people would panic from the news and flee to gold that you should have a field day selling into the stratospheric rocketing upwards of gold prices

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Foreign sovereign funds would inversely correlate in this instance, their historical performance is irrelevant it’s based on systemic risk but in this instance the idiosyncratic risk applying to treasuries would mean they’d decouple. Long term 1-3 new treasury type sources would probably emerge snd the calculation for the risk free rate for the CAPM model would probably change.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

pseudanonymous posted:

Foreign sovereign funds would inversely correlate in this instance, their historical performance is irrelevant it’s based on systemic risk but in this instance the idiosyncratic risk applying to treasuries would mean they’d decouple. Long term 1-3 new treasury type sources would probably emerge snd the calculation for the risk free rate for the CAPM model would probably change.

eh, maybe, but the having the gold standard, bed rock sovereign borrower default might be enough to scare everyone out of any sovereign debt. there's a chance no one cares that it's the us government shooting itself in the foot, at the end of the day if you can't trust a t-bill, what can you trust

frankly i think in a scenario in which the us defaults there's a chance we get an extreme credit crunch in the vein of the great depression. in that historical case cash benefitted from severe deflation

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah with all the constraints Bunds are probably the best bet. If you're just talking about delaying payments for a couple weeks or months while a debt ceiling deal gets worked out it's probably a nothingburger anyway. A money market fund though is probably the exact opposite of where you'd want to be.

Regardless even if the treasury defaults there would no doubt be some convoluted program put in place almost immediately where the Fed takes defaulted bonds at par as collateral for loans at 0%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

If the US cannot meet its obligation in paying back it's debts... what makes anyone think we'll still have an economy in a week?