Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Pararoid posted:

I thought the idea was to sell off the declining TV assets and focus on the profitable radio assets?

That's what happened. Mediaworks is a radio company now. TV3 is now owned by Warner Bros Discovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

That's what happened. Mediaworks is a radio company now. TV3 is now owned by Warner Bros Discovery.

Yeah ironically mediaworks had to spend a bunch of money setting up a news team again for todayFM because they'd sold it off with their tv assets just a couple of years ago

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is the best place in the world to ask this :

I work thurs fri sun and mon

someone was trying to tell me I won’t get both good friday and easter sunday paid out as public holidays. the workplace is closed both those days

they were trying to say that i’ll only get paid out one

are they correct?

if we were open i’d get time and a half both days

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
IANAL, but I'm pretty sure you get a day in lieu for every day you'd normally work. If that's just being 'paid out', then sure, but afaik it's certainly more than one day.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

that's...... hopelessly naive

i’m aggressively naive

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure you get a day in lieu for every day you'd normally work. If that's just being 'paid out', then sure, but afaik it's certainly more than one day.

I just don’t understand the mechanism that there are two public holidays (that I work on) but I’d only get paid one of them. unless it’s a special easter thing designed so you’d in theory get a weekday or a week day day off but wasn’t designed to give someone both

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

not getting paid twice for public holidays happens when there is a public holiday on sunday (for example) that gets monday-ized and you happen to work both the sunday and the monday. good friday and easter monday are two separate public holidays so you should get paid for both

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Sphyre posted:

not getting paid twice for public holidays happens when there is a public holiday on sunday (for example) that gets monday-ized and you happen to work both the sunday and the monday. good friday and easter monday are two separate public holidays so you should get paid for both

This is right. Employers in NZ can be really wrong on this, even down to HR people who you'd think would know the law enough to do their jobs, but I've seen people do poo poo like "oh you only worked till 1:30am on the public holiday and you don't work Monday so it doesn't count" or whatever. The common-sense way you imagine it to work is indeed how the law's written but bosses love to pretend it's real complex and full of exceptions.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sphyre posted:

Does Easter Sunday get Mondayised? From memory it doesn’t, some public holidays like xmas do but I am sure Easter Sunday doesn’t.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

This is right. Employers in NZ can be really wrong on this, even down to HR people who you'd think would know the law enough to do their jobs, but I've seen people do poo poo like "oh you only worked till 1:30am on the public holiday and you don't work Monday so it doesn't count" or whatever. The common-sense way you imagine it to work is indeed how the law's written but bosses love to pretend it's real complex and full of exceptions.

I stand by my position that employment law should be taught in school

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Looking into it seems that Easter Sunday is a restricted trading day but NOT a public holiday, whereas Good Friday is a public holiday.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

easter sunday is not a public holiday. easter monday is a public holiday. namaste

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
rheres even a special section on this link about easter sunday specifically

https://www.employment.govt.nz/leav...ic-holiday_0029

I normally work Sunday and I was gonna have to swap shifts with someone because I wanted to go to a drum n bass gig sat night out in the wops but we’re closed sunday so that’s a sign

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sphyre posted:

easter sunday is not a public holiday. easter monday is a public holiday. namaste

so not only do I not have to work sunday, I get time and a half on monday? and the day off on friday? gently caress that’s alright

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’ll have 5 days lieu leave after that.

working public holidays kinda sucks until you realise you just get paid more to take the holiday when you choose

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/where_is_anna/status/1641337576438263808?s=20

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

echinopsis posted:

Easter Sunday is a restricted trading day

open 'er up

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Serephina posted:

You get a day in lieu when you WORK on a public holiday. Not when you don't work, you're getting the day off.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

BuckyDoneGun posted:

You get a day in lieu when you WORK on a public holiday. Not when you don't work, you're getting the day off.

Ah you misunderstand me, "normally work" is referring to you having a standard schedule leading up to the holiday, not to imply that they're off on the holiday. With a bunch of variable-shift jobs like wait staff, they can get shafted on the day in lieu if they only work mondays 50% of the time.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
goddamn I remember when you couldn't even ADVERTISE on tv on a sunday, absolute bliss.
I think the removal of that rule sparked my obsession with avoiding ads outright for the rest of my life.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

6 days of ads on TV: reasonable, living my best life
7 days of ads on TV: I will personally murder the Mad Butcher screaming about his tenderloin discounts

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I don't know what I hate more; ads or talk radio. At least I can avoid talk radio easily.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Apparently the National parties new renewable energy policy is "continue doing more or less what's already in the works".
I guess it's nice to see a policy announcement that is essentially announcing support for the current government, not a reactionary "we won't do this thing", but it's still pretty thin...

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Lobsterpillar posted:

Apparently the National parties new renewable energy policy is "continue doing more or less what's already in the works".
I guess it's nice to see a policy announcement that is essentially announcing support for the current government, not a reactionary "we won't do this thing", but it's still pretty thin...

Ahh the old seem reasonable before the election then cut all funding and blame Labour.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
If you're rostered to work a stat day, mondayised or otherwise, you get an alternative holiday (Remember to record the date precisely, Holidays Act is pretty heavy on people who take it before the 12 month aging process) and time-and-a-half for the hours you worked. That's a whole day, by the way, so if you've got 4 hours roster for one day and 12 for another, the day in lieu is technically valid for either.

(Be aware that some SME bosses know this, and might suggest you take the alt on a low-roster day to save on leave liability. Fletchers and Placemakers were pretty bad for this when I was doing their remediation)

If you're not rostered, you get the time-and-a-half, but no Alt day. If your shift goes into a stat day, you get time and a half for the hours you worked on the stat, but no alt unless the stat day is rostered. If your shift normally goes into the next day, that counts as rostered.

If you don't work stat days and you ain't rostered for them, you get poo poo. If you are rostered, you get ODP for that day and spend the rest of it... gently caress, I don't know, smoking something that wasn't able to escape the night bucket, whatever you people do.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Not to defend poo poo employers trying to take advantage but this stuff is actually complicated and confusing and full of exceptions. I have a very intelligent friend (no this isn’t a weird way of talking about myself because I’m definitely not that smart) who is a technical writer which basically means he puts technical poo poo into layman’s terms for people. Part of his job to explain this poo poo to employers so they don’t gently caress it up and he finds it way more of a headache than other parts of his job like writing manuals for VCRs or whatever else he does. I work hospo which has a lot of exactly the sort of employers who will try and use this poo poo to their advantage if they can actually understand it but tbh as dumb as I am I’m at least as smart as half of them and I can barely understand it myself so basically what I’m saying is never assume malice when something can be adequately explained by incompetence

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
It is complicated but never give management types the benefit of the doubt. I bet they are all on nz.managerforum.com talking about the best way to screw people over on holidays I mean minimise liabilities for shareholders

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Also if you benefit from not looking into things, why the hell would you look into them? "Just checking if I owe my employees more than they in their ignorance expect"?

I've seen it play out multiple times in multiple countries. That poo poo is universal - enforcement is lax and worker awareness is nil so why would they bother getting it right?

Hell I was party to a class action suit that sent me a check like 13 years after I worked at a dying blockbuster (but when BB was still huge and owned by Viacom) due to Viacom not knowing California's laws about breaks. Like, a giant company that had a team of permanently engaged lawyers and such. Sky NZ, same.

I believe it's better to view all of this, inertia or ignorance or not, as malice and act accordingly in your own interest.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wafflecopper posted:

I have a ... friend
lie detected

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

I mean, Stuart Nash was given the oversight to unfuck the Holidays Act back in 2019 because every task force who did some digging found that it was pretty much loving impossible to be compliant with the thing.

Man said he'd do something about it. Turns out that something was to heave it into the Too-hard bin.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
wrong on both counts

https://www.mbie.govt.nz/business-and-employment/employment-and-skills/employment-legislation-reviews/holidays-act-review/

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
A+ browser extension

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

exmarx posted:

A+ browser extension

idgi

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

put your clocks back
for the winter

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

He paid money for a blue check.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

bike tory posted:

put your clocks back
for the winter

Ahh my favourite of the clock changes we do.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

quote:

How did they allow some of their hardest working and high profile assets to be treated like arch rivals, or even criminals?

Guess who and what

Duncan garner on losing his job

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

bike tory posted:

put your clocks back
for the winter

Hah I was just thinking about that song the other day.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Guess who and what

Duncan garner on losing his job

Turns out people are particular about the specific brand of horseshit they listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

PSA in case anyone missed it: everyone over 30 can get a bivalent covid booster as of yesterday. You just can't haven't had a booster or covid in the last 6 months.