Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Would Battlemage double dip on the new wand implicits? Since they add damage to spells and attacks. Or would the implicits somehow not count as local weapon damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I think the weapon tree passives are going to be pretty good in terms of additional power. Honestly I'm more into this league from a gameplay perspective than last league. I am worried about how little currency the league mechanic is going to generate unless you buy specific bases at the right ilvl and roll them a bunch in the crucible.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Would Battlemage double dip on the new wand implicits? Since they add damage to spells and attacks. Or would the implicits somehow not count as local weapon damage?
shouldn't double dip because it follows the same schema as other 'x and y' conversions.

like with omniscience and you have increased dex and strength, they're counted as a single unit for conversion.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I think that 10% instant leech mastery is still too much. Oldschool vaal pact, anyone?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The issue with thinking the weapon passive being enough is... what happens next league when they don't exist

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

boredsatellite posted:

The issue with thinking the weapon passive being enough is... what happens next league when they don't exist

You move on to the next league gimmick.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

McFrugal posted:

I think that 10% instant leech mastery is still too much. Oldschool vaal pact, anyone?

don't combine that with the 1000% increased leech belt

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

boredsatellite posted:

A bunch of good things get nerfed and a new mechanic replaces this one?

GGG clearly believe that making the game easier would be detrimental, so this is the path were on until poe2 comes out and gems have sockets.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

boredsatellite posted:

Oh no! I didn't realize league mechanics and balance changes were ending this patch and then it's a static Standard until poe 2.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I am not a CoC god but the 30 CDR already makes hitting the 52% breakpoint fairly easy without Awakened CoC. That alone should help turn on those builds earlier. Can’t remember what the breakpoint is after 52% but maybe that one is more realistic now.

The full breakpoints:

0% - 5 ticks (150ms CoC CD / 33ms server tick, rounded up)
14% - 4 ticks
52% - 3 ticks
128% - 2 ticks
355% - 1 tick

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
They hit the Harvest craft that causes maps to not consume sextants. It now only has a 50% chance to not consume; sorry Winged Scarab farmers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FZeroRacer posted:

shouldn't double dip because it follows the same schema as other 'x and y' conversions.

like with omniscience and you have increased dex and strength, they're counted as a single unit for conversion.

Battlemage isn't conversion though, it just adds whatever your main hand weapon damage is to your spell damage. But yeah I think the issue is that the implicit is global added attack damage.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

pmchem posted:

I did the first four trials! not so bad, really. rearranged my build a bit. I'm not really sure if dread banner is worth carrying around (I'm assuming impale is helping my minions, but can't tell by how much...), but my mana reservation issues are preventing me from putting on purity of elements, for now. ran into my first big phys resistant elemental. if I encountered a phys immune elite right now I'd pretty much just have to walk away.

I see why people buy stash tabs. there seem to be hundreds and hundreds of skill gems in this game. it quickly becomes very unwieldly to keep track of and sort. do the $$$ paid tabs offer some type of better sorting or is it just like, more regular tabs? I also which I could auto knapsack sort my inventory. inventory tetris gets old.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/pmchem/characters

gonna make some progress on act 3 now, lots of quests sitting around.

Aren't you some sort of investment banker or something, just buy the tabs.

But seriously, here's my review of the stash tabs in the order they're shown in the shop:

Gem: D- tier. You absolutely don't need it. At less than the cost of a beer, I just said gently caress it and bought it.
Flask: D tier. Only slightly less meh than gem. Same comment.
Currency tab: SSS tier. Buy even if it's not on sale if you plan to play any more at all.
Div tab: A tier. Div cards quickly become difficult to manage but this tab is pretty good for solving that. A lot of div cards are worthless so you could in theory just not pick them up, but it's hard to make that distinction when you're new. I think it's a solid buy.
Map tab: S/F tier. If you decide to keep playing after clearing act 10, and decide that the gameplay loop is something you enjoy, it's a must buy. Until then, it's basically completely useless.
Blight tab: D tier. It does keep your blight maps separated so I guess that's alright?
Essence tab: B+ tier. It's only really good if you start farming essences because they only stack up to 9 and you literally end up with thousands of essences in total. But if you never farm essences (or simulacrum...) then it's just alright. Kind of pretty, though.
Fragment tab: S tier. Probably the biggest VALUE of any of the tabs but not as USEFUL as the currency tab.
Metamorph tab: F+ tier. Organs don't stack or it'd be right in the dumpster. If you never do metamorph, you won't even notice you're missing this tab. And seriously, who does metamorph.
Delve tab: C tier. Fossils can get confusing so it's nice to have them in distinct places to help avoid misclicks. That said, you probably won't miss this unless you play a bunch.
Unique tab: B tier IMO. It's nice to keep some uniques around and especially if you're a "YOU NEVER KNOW" type person, it will keep track of which ones you have copies of.
Delirium tab: D- tier. It's not great but if you do a lot of deliriums maps then it's not the worst, I guess.

Regular tab: B tier only if you end up playing a lot. People will often use these to keep certain things separated (e.g. this may not make sense for you but for others, just as examples, I have one tab for each compass type I'm running, one to hold 8-mod maps I'm selling (one for each map), I use one to store maps that are ready to run, another to hold unsorted maps, etc). Only downside is that you can't rename them (which is why I actually use premium tabs for the examples I gave but you can just as well use normal ones)
Premium tab: A tier if you play a LOT, C tier (except your first one) if you don't play all that much, and B tier if you play a middling amount. You don't need very many premium tabs, to be honest, but having a few you can rename does help. But unless you're deep in PoE, you won't need to separate things like I do so you won't get much use out of having a dozen of these.
Quad tab: S tier. If you play trade, I think having several quad tabs is almost mandatory to be able to run a Dutch auction out of your tabs so you can get good value out of poo poo you pick up but also don't have to spend any time looking at them. But at the very least, you should have one or two for a dump tab (everything you pick up, you throw into the tab without looking at, and then when it's full you sort through everything at once).

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

whypick1 posted:

The full breakpoints:

0% - 5 ticks (150ms CoC CD / 33ms server tick, rounded up)
14% - 4 ticks
52% - 3 ticks
128% - 2 ticks
355% - 1 tick

128 is probably still out of reach then lol

Still very interesting option for CoC though. Only problem might be getting crit capped. Brittle can help there. I’m gonna be balancing stats with Leadership’s Price again I know it.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

DangerDongs posted:

They hit the Harvest craft that causes maps to not consume sextants. It now only has a 50% chance to not consume; sorry Winged Scarab farmers.

I’m a little bummed that if this does kill that farming strat that I won’t be able to make insane money with yellow juice anymore. If the strat is still super profitable with some modifications, though????

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Depends how the prices change on sextants, so probably still too early to tell. Most of the best money making strategies exploit knowledge gaps in how items are used, acquired, or crafted.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Oh no! I didn't realize league mechanics and balance changes were ending this patch and then it's a static Standard until poe 2.

Look man I think poe balancing has been poo poo the past couple of years. I dont have much faith in them

Considering how times you see many skills get gutted and people scrambling for life support the next few leagues, its not a hard pattern

League probably will be fun but irritated by the nerfs

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Benson Cunningham posted:

I think the weapon tree passives are going to be pretty good in terms of additional power. Honestly I'm more into this league from a gameplay perspective than last league. I am worried about how little currency the league mechanic is going to generate unless you buy specific bases at the right ilvl and roll them a bunch in the crucible.

I’m curious to see how those vendor weapon notables work out. If they’re common enough, it could produce a steady drip of divines just like sanctum. With the caveat that you’re not gambling for GG weapon trees at the same time I guess.

I also wonder if crucible monsters will have their drops juiced at all. Seems unlikely since they didn’t mention it, but if it dumps a decent number of multiple mod rares in each map you get several more pulls at a loot goblin.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Benson Cunningham posted:

Depends how the prices change on sextants, so probably still too early to tell. Most of the best money making strategies exploit knowledge gaps in how items are used, acquired, or crafted.

I have faith map juicers will find a way. It didn’t die after Fractured fossils got dumpstered and this is a similar change

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I couldn’t tell from the trailer - are the full passive trees for weapons fully revealed the first time you throw them in the crucible? Or do they only unveil with each “level up”?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
there's a half dozen dirt simple week 1 strats just looking at the map device.

abyss for 2c with the atlas nodes will be impossible to not make piles of money with as it just adds so many mobs per map. essence is there, again, and it's cheap ez to speed farm with all the atlas points (also makes early crafting pretty easy). Smugglers stash is big money early on with all the atlas nodes when people are still buying contracts and bps for a big premium. Or just run them yourself for even more money. expedition probably seems like a bad deal compared to just popping in an expedition scarab, but you can use the scarabs contribute pack size keystone + expedition nodes to get huge, massive expeditions for 10c/map. Harvest is also cheap as hell relative to what people normally value a full harvest at and you can juice that one the same way as expedition for significantly increased profit.

ofc sextants will have a multiplicative effect on your revenue for pretty much all of those, too

looks like a really easy league to get economically on your feet

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

But seriously, here's my review of the stash tabs in the order they're shown in the shop:

hah, I'll probably shell out for some tabs whenever the next sale is.

just made level 35, calling it a night. cleared imperial gardens and the last trial. next on deck are the labyrinth and 'sever the right hand'. I thought maybe he was a big boss so I skipped him and went to gardens, but it appears there are at least 3 more zones to do past gardens, one of which will have the big boss of act 3.

haven't looked at ascendancy skills at all, but I plan on going necro. what's good there? also I'm hoping the labyrinth doesn't have some dumb instadeath mechanic like a timer or a fall-off-the-world trap.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

abyss for 2c with the atlas nodes will be impossible to not make piles of money with as it just adds so many mobs per map. essence is there, again, and it's cheap ez to speed farm with all the atlas points (also makes early crafting pretty easy). Smugglers stash is big money early on with all the atlas nodes when people are still buying contracts and bps for a big premium. Or just run them yourself for even more money. expedition probably seems like a bad deal compared to just popping in an expedition scarab, but you can use the scarabs contribute pack size keystone + expedition nodes to get huge, massive expeditions for 10c/map. Harvest is also cheap as hell relative to what people normally value a full harvest at and you can juice that one the same way as expedition for significantly increased profit.

ofc sextants will have a multiplicative effect on your revenue for pretty much all of those, too

Yea starting out expedition and slowly working up packsize then finally throwing harvest on top seems like a real easy winner

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
well yeah if you want to have a 150 div build online by the end of the first week it is

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

pmchem posted:

hah, I'll probably shell out for some tabs whenever the next sale is.

just made level 35, calling it a night. cleared imperial gardens and the last trial. next on deck are the labyrinth and 'sever the right hand'. I thought maybe he was a big boss so I skipped him and went to gardens, but it appears there are at least 3 more zones to do past gardens, one of which will have the big boss of act 3.

haven't looked at ascendancy skills at all, but I plan on going necro. what's good there? also I'm hoping the labyrinth doesn't have some dumb instadeath mechanic like a timer or a fall-off-the-world trap.

There's usually a stash tab sale a week after league launch, so two weeks from now.

Labyrinth doesn't have any instant-death mechanics, just a handful of trap sequences, and you've been trained for those by the trials. The boss can be kinda tricky if you're not quick on the uptake. Here's some things to watch out for if you want a preview:
You'll fight him three times, and the first two, he'll have three extra things pop up that make him stronger. You can deal with those extras by either killing them or clicking on them, but if you don't, the mechanics they add stick around into subsequent fights. You get extra rewards if you do things the hard way though.
Also, he's generally easier if you stick close to him. Most of his ranged attacks are deadlier and harder to dodge.

Labyrinth also gets a lot easier if you outlevel it. If you're feeling powerful enough without the ascendancy, feel free to come back later. I used to wait until I got to level 42 and the new tier of life flask at that point, and it makes it a cakewalk, but that's probably overkill.

Necro is pretty straightforward; there are nodes that say they buff your minions, and those are the ones you'll want first. She also has a corpe plan, some of which can also be useful to you, but you can consider those after the obvious choices. Mistress of Sacrifice is maybe worth considering as your first pick, though; it gives you a huge defensive bonus with the block-enhancing offering.

Noper Q fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 31, 2023

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?

totalnewbie posted:

I would also add in that if you're interested in SSF the rating of a lot of these tabs goes up, which I recommend to everyone at some point simply because trade gets kinda dull and doesn't teach you to craft / progress your own gear instead of just converting everything into currency and looking for upgrades on trade. Unique tab goes up in value a lot in SSF or if you play a private league with friends, lots of niche uniques that are only useful once you assemble all the pieces to reroll and you otherwise don't want to take up all that space. Same for Essence/Delve tabs since you'll be crafting more and utilizing essences probably the most, there are some good fossil crafts too.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I think any league where essence is a map mod is a pretty good league to get yourself going. Even if you're flat out broke you can likely self craft a bunch of gear to take you to red maps. Abyss as you said will probably be very good this league with the high roll unique belt being good and valuable abyss jewels will probably also be worth a good amount too as a result. Smugglers is nice but some people don't love bulk selling contracts, you can bulk sell essences fairly easily without using something like TFT but contracts gets harder.

Daemonlasher fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 31, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Noper Q posted:

There's usually a stash tab sale a week after league launch, so two weeks from now.

Labyrinth also gets a lot easier if you outlevel it. If you're feeling powerful enough without the ascendancy, feel free to come back later. I used to wait until I got to level 42 and the new tier of life flask at that point, and it makes it a cakewalk, but that's probably overkill.

Other tip if you're trying to play it safe is that there are special shrines in hidden rooms in the labyrinth (you can identify them because they show on your minimap but not on the screen) that give bonuses for the rest of the labyrinth-- click on a nearby lever or bookcase or whatever to open the rooms. Some of them give bonuses to the rewards at the end, others give beneficial effects like "take 50% damage from traps" that make it really hard to die.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TyrantWD posted:

Doubt it. This is a throw away league, with no new bosses that we know of, that is never going core, and there is not enough new stuff to draw that kind of commitment. I doubt we even get a gauntlet this league. D4 lurking on the horizon, and GGG choosing to hold back the cool stuff for the Exilecon announcement is going to turn this into Kalandra 2.0.

Scourge league showed off all kinds of crazy krangling that had people imagining all kinds of crazy scenarios, but it turned out the trailer showed deep outliers and most people got unusable junk, but krangled maps gave the league a little bit more life.

This will probably be a league where you check Reddit on Sunday because you haven’t got a weapon tree passive that was more than a 1% dps buff, and it’s going to turn out that 99.99% of weapon trees are trash, with both node options have no effect, but 2 people have insane mirror tier weapons. By day 10 most people will have moved on to other games so they don’t burn out on ARPGs before D4 -> PoE expansion.

Nice catastrophizing

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I won’t discount the possibility that decent-to-good weapon trees will be as rare as good scourged items, but if that’s not the case, these trees are gonna be a HUGE buff to player power. A lot more potential power than sanctified relics, and these will be tradable to boot.

Also seems like GGG might be moving in the direction of rotating player power around the special league mechanic each league. They dipped their toes in with Scourge, dabbled a bit more in Sanctum, and appear to be going whole-hog this league. I’m expecting to see some truly busted builds come outta these trees, again barring they aren’t as unattainable as good Scourges were.

Ofc if this is the plan, build viability will be way more volatile league to league which… actually sounds great to me

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 31, 2023

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I really don't think it's going to be as rare as Scourges to get something decent. You'll be able to check a new base item every map or potentially spamming quarry, even if Chris ends up wrong when he suggested the maps that have recombinators probably will drop around 1 per 5 maps.

There's a massive difference between something that can be done as the first step of the crafting process (but also continued non-destructively afterwards) and something that requires nearly completed items as input.

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?

I won’t discount the possibility that decent-to-good weapon trees will be as rare as good scourged items, but if that’s not the case, these trees are gonna be a HUGE buff to player power. A lot more potential power than sanctified relics, and these will be tradable to boot.

Also seems like GGG might be moving in the direction of rotating player power around the special league mechanic each league. They dipped their toes in with Scourge, dabbled a bit more in Sanctum, and appear to be going whole-hog this league. I’m expecting to see some truly busted builds come outta these trees, again barring they aren’t as unattainable as good Scourges were.

Ofc if this is the plan, build viability will be way more volatile league to league which… actually sounds great to me

I feel like I might be in the minority on this one, but as cool as the top end of the league mechanic sounds, it kind of sounds like if you want to do stuff yourself you're going to be IDing a bunch of trash to try and find the right crucible trees for your finished weapon or base to craft on. This sounds very tedious of a league mechanic but I guess the promise of giga power is the carrot being dangled. Of course you'll be able to trade but I imagine the good stuff will have low weight and be expensive. I don't really like the direction of nerf base game player agency and rely on league mechanic RNG to fix it as a design direction.

To kind of support my point here, I'm pretty sure I saw a post where a dude literally spent 5-6 hours a day grinding sanctums to try and get a specific sanctified relic mod to drop and it took him basically 3 months to make it happen where all he did was go into maps, save sanctum, leave map.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I really don't think it's going to be as rare as Scourges to get something decent. You'll be able to check a new base item every map or potentially spamming quarry, even if Chris ends up wrong when he suggested the maps that have recombinators probably will drop around 1 per 5 maps.

There's a massive difference between something that can be done as the first step of the crafting process (but also continued non-destructively afterwards) and something that requires nearly completed items as input.

All great points

That is something that wasn’t clear to me earlier, is the full weapon tree revealed on the first crucible? Or do you have to level up to each node to reveal them?

If you’re able to fully check a base every map I don’t see how this could be a stinker. I’m gonna leave good bases on my filter, you finally won Chris

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

With the amount of nodes visible, it won't be as bad as scourge as well.

You can at least check beforehand. Sure you won't get perfect weapon trees all the time but you will def find those good for yellow and red maps

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

All great points

That is something that wasn’t clear to me earlier, is the full weapon tree revealed on the first crucible? Or do you have to level up to each node to reveal them?

If you’re able to fully check a base every map I don’t see how this could be a stinker. I’m gonna leave good bases on my filter, you finally won Chris

First crucible in the announcement, but anything seen there is Subject To Change™.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Daemonlasher posted:

I feel like I might be in the minority on this one, but as cool as the top end of the league mechanic sounds, it kind of sounds like if you want to do stuff yourself you're going to be IDing a bunch of trash to try and find the right crucible trees for your finished weapon or base to craft on. This sounds very tedious of a league mechanic but I guess the promise of giga power is the carrot being dangled. Of course you'll be able to trade but I imagine the good stuff will have low weight and be expensive. I don't really like the direction of nerf base game player agency and rely on league mechanic RNG to fix it as a design direction.

To kind of support my point here, I'm pretty sure I saw a post where a dude literally spent 5-6 hours a day grinding sanctums to try and get a specific sanctified relic mod to drop and it took him basically 3 months to make it happen where all he did was go into maps, save sanctum, leave map.

Eh, if you boil down any action in this game enough it sounds like tedium interspersed with slot machine pulls. Which is great for me, personally, because I’m addicted to gambling but don’t have the chest to risk real money

And I never got any great relics either myself, but those didn’t have near the potential power level we’ve already seen with these nor were they tradable. I have no idea where prices will land for good bases with good trees, but the option to trade for them will at least be there. It’s also not clear yet what the power spectrum will look like for these trees. If you can snag one or two decent notables without requiring the recombinator step, I suspect “good” bases will be fairly affordable.

First crucible in the announcement, but anything seen there is Subject To Change™.

That’s what’s up

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Also planning on trying TS deadeye but haven't played deadeye in years

How did it feel last league for those who played her

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
My favorite part of the live stream was the demonstration of the atlas gates using an extra passive to use the gates rather than pathing there. That just tickled me for some reason.

I also can't believe people are so upset at the nerfs. I think the new masteries are so much more interesting.

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?

Eh, if you boil down any action in this game enough it sounds like tedium interspersed with slot machine pulls. Which is great for me, personally, because I’m addicted to gambling but don’t have the chest to risk real money

And I never got any great relics either myself, but those didn’t have near the potential power level we’ve already seen with these nor were they tradable. I have no idea where prices will land for good bases with good trees, but the option to trade for them will at least be there. It’s also not clear yet what the power spectrum will look like for these trees. If you can snag one or two decent notables without requiring the recombinator step, I suspect “good” bases will be fairly affordable.

Let me rephrase my concern, there is a certain level of grind / tedium to aRPGs for sure, specifically to PoE for example, I don't mind mashing 2000 alt orbs into an amulet to deterministically craft a +2 amulet because there is agency there because the crafting material is readily available and you can target what your goal is. The same with running foothills (RIP this league) or low level maps for Catarina to target farm Diadem, there is some RNG involved with spawning betrayal and getting diadem to drop, but there is an end in sight and a method. With picking up random bases and IDing them, it's the equivalent of a chaos orb but the frequency at which you're doing it is what is depressing. I don't think anyone really enjoys IDing rares off the ground beyond your league start character where you are super barebones in the campaign.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Daemonlasher posted:

but there is an end in sight and a method. With picking up random bases and IDing them, it's the equivalent of a chaos orb but the frequency at which you're doing it is what is depressing.

Did you miss the whole recombinator style tree crafting thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?

Did you miss the whole recombinator style tree crafting thing?

No not at all, but you're still picking bases off the ground to try and fish for the mods you want and then when you recombinate there's a chance it bricks your item or the tree doesn't come out how you want it. So we're taking an already potentially lengthy process (to be fair we have no idea what the mods look like, the rarity and how the trade league will play out, I could just be worrying needlessly) and adding more failure points along the way.