Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Thanks to this thread I have been falling more and more in love with Splotters.
FCM was my first and I still play that the most (8 games so far in person, couple online but meh). Then we played Horseless and I initially didn't think much but ironically, playing it online I am really starting to see some strategy depth that I didn't see before. On 6 plays online now and I'm enjoying it more and more (note: please don't play it on BGC, their adaptation sucks compared to this one from Online Board Gamers. I recently scored bus for a good price, and we have played that twice and holy crap it's so good. So much simpler than FCM and Horseless to play, but man it's a heck of a strategy game. I have TGZ on the shelf and we plan to learn it next weekend too. Excited for that one.
Of the rest I haven't tried, I am most interested in Indonesia (For the novelty I think), and Roads and Boats, but both of them are nearly unobtainable at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
I've learned long ago that the key to happiness in this hobby is to focus on finding gamers for the games you want to play, not games for the gamers you want to change or persuade or whatever. A game without an appropriate audience is a box of cardboard. Definitely if you love a game enough you can sit on that box for years until you do find that group for the game, but the real hard work is not finding that perfect game, it's curating a collection of people who enjoy the stuff you enjoy.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Magnetic North posted:

Being around goons will do that to you. That's part of why I have 1830 in my collection, even though I doubt I'll coax anyone to play it with me.

You have to brute force people to play 1830 but much like a wide-eyed evangelist with eerie charisma, you'll gain a following immediately after they hear the Good Word, I promise you this.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Pvt. Parts posted:

happiness in this hobby is to focus on finding gamers for the games you want to play, not games for the gamers you want to change or persuade or whatever.

Gonna turn this into the style of one of those "live laugh love" kitschy signs and hang it above my living room :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jewmanji posted:

Gonna turn this into the style of one of those "live laugh love" kitschy signs and hang it above my living room :(

PICK
PUNCH
PLAY

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well, after a rather expensive night in the pub yesterday –feeling a little worse for wear on the walk home – I was able to justify the cost of ultimate railroads as a pretty low multiple of an evening whose long-term benefit will be flushed down the toilet within 24 hours.

So, without really planning to, I now have three new games on their way to me!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Is Glory to Rome actually a legendarily good game or is it just that the Black Box has such a history behind it that it has transcended mere board gaming and become something greater?

VVVV It blows my mind that T&E is now considered a grail game, unless I'm misunderstanding what you've written. I wish my wife liked it, maybe I can trick her into playing it again.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 30, 2023

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
GTR is great, if you like Chudyk's multi-use card things. It's not priced because of its gameplay, but it's still a good game. I would rate it above Ankh Morpork in the list of grail games that are super hard to get. Probably below Tigris and Euphretes.
e: it's a bit like Race for the Galaxy where every action you are burning half of your cards to put into play the other half, and eventually somebody else wins because you're still understanding what on earth is happening. But that's fun right?

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 30, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

FulsomFrank posted:

Is Glory to Rome actually a legendarily good game or is it just that the Black Box has such a history behind it that it has transcended mere board gaming and become something greater?

Depends on who you ask. I've played it 5 times or so and enjoyed it fine but I also have never started with Patrons and felt like I was behind all game. Lots of people love it to absolute bits. Haven't played it in years and years though.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
There are easy print and play options for GTR that can be trivially found via Google, if you're inclined to that sort of thing.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I have the black box GTR. It's a rock solid game.

It's probably the most interactive feeling action selection game I've ever played. When you play Race for the Galaxy, you're mostly playing by yourself but watching if anybody else is digging for the colors you are. When I play Concordia, I'm watching the board but I'm mostly only watching everybody else's actions to see what I can Diplomat. But with GTR, because your cards are so many things - actions, follow actions, blueprints, materials, victory points - I'm constantly watching what everybody else is doing. I am terrible at it, but I cherish it. In the bottom half of my top ten.

T&E is much cheaper than GTR on ebay. Sub-$100 doesn't feel like something I'd describe as a "grail game". What's the story behind T&E?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Glory to Rome is definitely a solid game which I will certainly have a hard time speaking objectively about since it was the first game that I really "discovered" and evangelized (this was before it gained legendary status, when it still just had clipart art). The amount of game to stuff in the box ratio was simply unmatched at the time, and it had this awesome appeal for core gamers in that the game didn't "baby" you, just a list of rules which laid out an admittedly pretty opaque resource flow system, a bunch of unique buildings, and the rest way up to you to figure out/break. And that was the fun of the game, breaking it wide open with zany combos and creative uses of seemingly innocuous effects. This sort of "unbalanced balance" has fallen out of favour in more recent times and so I don't think the game will hold up great today tbh. It's best held as a piece of gaming history/myth/legend and not much else given how far game design has come since then. Sort of how people reminisce about MtG from way back when and then play it today and realize it's a fundamentally flawed game which was stumbled into as a way to push packs of cards out of gaming store doors at a time when, throwing some collectible cards around a table for more than 20 minutes was truly groundbreaking. I'd say people who are interested in GtR for reasons beyond it's notoriety should keep an eye on Chudyk's latest project in the same vein, Aegean Sea.

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 30, 2023

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

CitizenKeen posted:

I have the black box GTR. It's a rock solid game.

It's probably the most interactive feeling action selection game I've ever played. When you play Race for the Galaxy, you're mostly playing by yourself but watching if anybody else is digging for the colors you are. When I play Concordia, I'm watching the board but I'm mostly only watching everybody else's actions to see what I can Diplomat. But with GTR, because your cards are so many things - actions, follow actions, blueprints, materials, victory points - I'm constantly watching what everybody else is doing. I am terrible at it, but I cherish it. In the bottom half of my top ten.

T&E is much cheaper than GTR on ebay. Sub-$100 doesn't feel like something I'd describe as a "grail game". What's the story behind T&E?

T&E is supposedly in a publisher's hands right now for a reprint, I've been waiting for news on that.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

armorer posted:

T&E is supposedly in a publisher's hands right now for a reprint, I've been waiting for news on that.

Who needs a reprint when you can make your own travel set out of Legos?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2839769/tigris-and-euphrates-lego-edition

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Glory to Rome is the first game on my chronological list of “favorite games”. That is, when I first got into board games, it quickly became my favorite.

GtR is a single deck game that solves the problem with single deck games by making every card absurdly powerful. It doesn’t matter what you draw, you can do something useful with it. However, the game’s strategy is absurdly opaque (thanks for the word!), so I’ve had no luck teaching it to people.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I played Glory to Rome once very early in my board games journey and didn't particularly care for it. Then, at the start of the pandemic I decided to design my own print and play for it, completed the design, printed a few test cards, and then completely abandoned it. It was a really weird time.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

i need more board games to exist on phones sos i can plays them with friends in other states

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Pvt. Parts posted:

I've learned long ago that the key to happiness in this hobby is to focus on finding gamers for the games you want to play, not games for the gamers you want to change or persuade or whatever. A game without an appropriate audience is a box of cardboard. Definitely if you love a game enough you can sit on that box for years until you do find that group for the game, but the real hard work is not finding that perfect game, it's curating a collection of people who enjoy the stuff you enjoy.

This is loser talk for people too cowardly to bully your friends and strangers into playing obtuse games for six hours.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Upsidads posted:

i need more board games to exist on phones sos i can plays them with friends in other states

Yea, I wish BGA did a bit more mobile-friendly design thoughts. There are a bunch that work mobile quite well, but then there are ones like warchest which on mobile gives you no way to see what each token's rules are which makes it hard unless you've memorised every single one.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Pvt. Parts posted:

Definitely if you love a game enough you can sit on that box for years until you do find that group for the game, but the real hard work is not finding that perfect game, it's curating a collection of people who enjoy the stuff you enjoy.

A good friend will play your games sometimes, but a great friend fits on your Kallax.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
We have some slightly damaged games that aren't quite good enough to put on our shelf that we're getting to lay claim to, and I'm not sure what to get. I don't really have much in the way of real life friends so I'm mostly interested in single player games specifically. Of the games that at least can be played single player, my choices are: Atiwa, Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Escape Plan, Great Western Trail 2e, Origins: First Builders, Rocketmen, and Sword & Sorcery: Ancient Chronicles.

So far I've listed my preferences as Bloodborne, Dark Souls, and Sword & Sorcery in that order. Those are the only ones that immediately appeal to me. Anyone got any feedback on if maybe those aren't great choices, or if there's something amazing I'm overlooking?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Twelve by Pies posted:

We have some slightly damaged games that aren't quite good enough to put on our shelf that we're getting to lay claim to, and I'm not sure what to get. I don't really have much in the way of real life friends so I'm mostly interested in single player games specifically. Of the games that at least can be played single player, my choices are: Atiwa, Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Escape Plan, Great Western Trail 2e, Origins: First Builders, Rocketmen, and Sword & Sorcery: Ancient Chronicles.

So far I've listed my preferences as Bloodborne, Dark Souls, and Sword & Sorcery in that order. Those are the only ones that immediately appeal to me. Anyone got any feedback on if maybe those aren't great choices, or if there's something amazing I'm overlooking?
I would steer (get it?) away from Great Western Trail as a solo game. There's apparently a fan-made automata for it, but it doesn't look like it's highly regarded.
Edit: Apparently 2e comes with a solo mode that's not bad from a couple of links further down the page I just went to close. Sorry, I have 1e, and I've heard 1e and 2e are practically identical; I was running on bad information.

As to the bolded part, Spirit Island is a fantastic solo (or multiplayer) experience. If you can get your hands on a copy, I cannot recommend it enough. It's complex enough that it's a puzzle every time, and its replayability is through the roof.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 30, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Big Ra came in. I'm still not sold on O'toole's over-designing but after comparing the BGG store tile upgrade for old Ra and the production samples for this one at Gencon, I decided to get this to replace my old Uberplay copy. It's a great production, the tiles, bidding tokens, and VPs are all really nice and should last forever. The auction board is fine but definitely the weakest part. Here's some pics I shot for the publisher

and for a box size comparison:

the large box is pretty annoying, but it couldn't really be cut down much considering how large and full the tile bag is.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Take it to criterion chat, y’all!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cross Postin' Ra and Illiterati pics

quote:

Going to have a shelf in my Kallax for Games With Bags Full Of Clicky Clacks
- Azul
- Illiterati
- Quacks of Quedlinburg
- Ra

The Ra auction tile bag is massive once filled.

Comparison of bags

Comparison of tiles

Ra's bag holds like 3 times the amount of tiles that Illiterati
Probably 10x the amount of Azul

SUPER nice tiles.

Edit: I forgot Paint the Roses Deluxe as well! Ok I have a full shelf :lol:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Cross Postin' Ra and Illiterati pics

Edit: I forgot Paint the Roses Deluxe as well! Ok I have a full shelf :lol:

drat, you're doing well!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Saw this on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3055789/what-game-buy-flowchart Some London board game shop has a flowchart to guide the uninitiated to what they should try. It's based on age of youngest player, group size and desired length and shows the price bracket. It has a few stinkers on there, but it also has Brass Birmingham as a suggestion. Looks like a perfectly reasonable start. Also, SH:CD is on there twice.

edit: vvvv Ah, never heard of them before.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 31, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magnetic North posted:

Saw this on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3055789/what-game-buy-flowchart Some London board game shop has a flowchart to guide the uninitiated to what they should try. It's based on age of youngest player, group size and desired length and shows the price bracket. It has a few stinkers on there, but it also has Brass Birmingham as a suggestion. Looks like a perfectly reasonable start. Also, SH:CD is on there twice.

Waterstones isn't a boardgame shop. It's a national chain of bookshops that also happens to sell a few boardgames. As such they're strictly amateur, and that's a pretty good chart by that standard.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

I really enjoyed my solo plays of Atiwa and I haven't beaten the challenges yet.

But I'm a sucker for Rosenberg games...

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jedit posted:

Waterstones isn't a boardgame shop. It's a national chain of bookshops that also happens to sell a few boardgames. As such they're strictly amateur, and that's a pretty good chart by that standard.

The other thing is, as I understand it with Waterstones, it's on a shop by shop basis how much effort they put into these things. So this is likely just some spod who thought it would help, which is super rad of them!

Like often Waterstones will be the only place you can buy Magic the gathering in a town, depending on how familiar the staff are with it, they seem to stock more or less. The one in Bath actually used to have some super knowledgeable people and they'd even run tournaments and stuff there! It's really cool that they give people leeway to do stuff like that, and organise in store events and things.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The former CEO of waterstones leads Barnes and Noble now and is trying to replicate that model. I hope it works!

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Any thoughts on Townsfolk Tussle? I love the aesthetic and the more gear, more synergies expansion sounds appealing (in the current KS), but I worry that the combat is too simple, seems only a little removed from "I move, I roll attack, done."

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Played a 2p game of Beast. Game good.

In 2p the hunter plays double handed, which isn’t perfect. That said, the game already assumes the the “hunters” would be communicating, so it could be worse.

I’m going to play a 4p game this weekend, very stoked.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

BinaryDoubts posted:

Any thoughts on Townsfolk Tussle? I love the aesthetic and the more gear, more synergies expansion sounds appealing (in the current KS), but I worry that the combat is too simple, seems only a little removed from "I move, I roll attack, done."
Just asked a similar question in the TG Crowdfunding thread, got a bit of an answer: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777631&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=557#post530855606

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm finding it hard to think of ways to summarise the games I've got to help get a buy-in before I start playing with my other half, can you help? Russian Railroads is pretty bloody straight forward: Players take turns placing workers on tiles which either give them points, or make it easier for them to gain points in future. The others, though?

- Concordia Venus: Players take turns playing actions which spread and construct buildings, and to produce, buy and sell goods. Each action you have and take throughout the game are aligned towards different scoring schemes, and at the end these are tallied up and multiplied.
- Troyes: Players place workers to create dice pools (and/or take actions) and then spend those dice to counteract negative events, and gain victory points either directly or indirectly.

Is that about right?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

they’re technically correct but usually the play is to lead with flavour when pitching a game, unless your SO is a pure mechanics fiend in which case I’d mention that concordia is a hand-builder and that troyes is a touch more technical than most dice-driven games

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ah, a fellow theme-hater. The deckbuilding/action retrieval aspect of Conc is pretty important when understanding the gameplay, you should mention that.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

She cares almost nothing for theme at all, actually - she's a Cribbage/Rummikub kind of player at heart - but I get your drift.

Of these three I guess RR / UR is probably the most straightforward, right? I'm expecting that in the next few days but I'd like to try to get Concordia or Troyes to the table first - any advice on making either as seamless as possible?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Everyone will respond differently to different things, so you'll want to just try it out to see what gets them fired up. In addition the the theme and mechanics, you could try talking about how it feels to play.

Concordia: you could talk about it having fast turns and an interactive system without much outright blocking, and never quite knowing how well you are doing, but in a good way.
Insider: alternately a game of wild puzzlement followed by getting suspicious of your friends or sweating bullets while you try to flim-flam out of the firing squad.
Heat: It's a pulse-pounding race game where you have to be bold and take risks to win, but as the pressure builds will you be able to take the heat?

I know around these parts "It's Just Fun" is a thought-terminating cliche, but you can structure sentences like, "This game is really fun because..." It's part of Quinn's suggestion for teaches from his video How To Teach Board Games Like a Pro. The steps are: "Who are we? How do we win? Why will this be fun?"

Ticket To Ride: "This game is really fun because you can plan ahead and make long routes and build this expansive network, or you can be mean and watch what cards other players are taking to figure out their likely moves and block them."
Codenames: "This game is really fun because there is virtually no limit to the creativity of the spymaster's answer, so you are playing in the infinite space of human language association."
Jaipur: "This game is really fun because the set collection is muddied by separate rewards for selling goods quickly and selling large sets, which makes it interesting to find the right time to strike and ruin your opponent's day."

I wrote these in great haste so honestly none of these sentences are very good examples. Still, I think something in this shape is something worth having in your toolbelt to proselytize games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

"This game is really fun because it's plastered in anime booba"

Did I do it right?