Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I was under the impression that Ayin's plan could distort people, since that's based on the mental state of people themselves, but that (stuff from late Leviathan and LoR) Carmen herself is actively sabotaging it to make more people distort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cirina posted:

I was under the impression that Ayin's plan could distort people, since that's based on the mental state of people themselves, but that (stuff from late Leviathan and LoR) Carmen herself is actively sabotaging it to make more people distort.

As far as I can remember, part of Ayin's plan (and the bit that the stopping early actually messed up, since even stopped early enough light went out to give people EGO/Distort) was that he was sharing the things he learnt from each of the Sephirah Breakdowns to everyone in the city. Those 10 virtues would thus help keep people in the right mindset to generate EGO rather than Distort, and the Light in of itself when shining is said to have pretty much quelled people's worst desires and made them feel happy and hopeful for the future. In turn the darkness after encouraged the worst in people and caused them to think naught but despair at the loss of the beautiful Light. Based on how things are described in Wonderlab.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Angela herself noted that nobody was supposed to distort and at worst people would just lose their EGO, she also acknowledged that the cause of the distortion was her messing up the spread of the Light.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Don't forget the Adam ending in Lobotomy Corporation, where Adam - declaring it to be the will of Carmen - unleashed the Light which turned everyone into Distortions. I'm inclined to believe that the Light being unleashed without a fully realized Ayin/X being part of it would have been disastrous.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ayin's plan did not distort people, it being interrupted by Angela is stated to have more or less caused the distortion phenomenon. Now, Ayin's plan may have distorted people anyway. But Library of Ruina is pretty explicit that Angela has culpability.

absolutely she does, but ayin's plan was always doomed to failure imo. he was depressed, had no ideological motivation other than "make carmen's plan work", and essentially created an excuse to kill himself 'redemptively'. unleashing the Light onto a populace with no warning or explanation was always going to break bad, because people in terrible circumstances given incredible power aren't always going to make the right decisions. Angela/Oswald/etc push people over the edge on purpose, but look at Yan. the city had already mindcrushed him. giving him the light only set him on the path to distortion.

The games are ambigious about how exactly the Dark Days hosed up the process, but it seems reasonable to me that it did it by unevenly distributing the light. even if it had gone off perfectly, it would've always required someone to be around to lead people into understanding its purpose

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Considering the fact that, direct quote from Angela in Gebura's third cutscene in Lob Corp is, "Monsters are in themselves repulsive, terrible creatures at the core and the start of their existence. However, abnormalities originate from humans." as a researcher is turned into everyone's favorite Nothing There, the only real difference between what was going on pre-light and post-light is terminology and how widespread it is.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

one of the reveals in LC is that enkephalin extraction isnt actually L Corp's singularity, its abnormality creation, and the enkephalin is the byproduct. the potential for abnormalities/distortions/EGO has always been inside humans, but it's the actual realization of that into physical form that they invented. whatever they discovered from that hole in reality in the Woods taught them how to do it. the only natural abnormalities pre-L Corp come from there, or probably other places on the edges of the world, where reality can fray.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1641674593424523266?s=20
Outis with Glasses pretty gud not gonna lie.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

studio mujahideen posted:

absolutely she does, but ayin's plan was always doomed to failure imo. he was depressed, had no ideological motivation other than "make carmen's plan work", and essentially created an excuse to kill himself 'redemptively'. unleashing the Light onto a populace with no warning or explanation was always going to break bad, because people in terrible circumstances given incredible power aren't always going to make the right decisions. Angela/Oswald/etc push people over the edge on purpose, but look at Yan. the city had already mindcrushed him. giving him the light only set him on the path to distortion.

The games are ambigious about how exactly the Dark Days hosed up the process, but it seems reasonable to me that it did it by unevenly distributing the light. even if it had gone off perfectly, it would've always required someone to be around to lead people into understanding its purpose

I mean, the entire point of the White Nights as seen in Wonderlab was to give people hope for a better future and one character (Taii or Flower I think?) noted how people were smiling and being kinder to each other. I don't buy the explanation that if people would have power to break the system constraining them they as a collective would turn on each other because it functionally breaks the theme of how people as a rule are decent and the system forces them into abusing each other to survive. Furthermore the whole "someone need to lead the people for their own good" isn't something that I think PM believes given WhiteNight :v: (EDIT: or even Ayin himself).

SITB fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 31, 2023

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Tellaris posted:

Considering the fact that, direct quote from Angela in Gebura's third cutscene in Lob Corp is, "Monsters are in themselves repulsive, terrible creatures at the core and the start of their existence. However, abnormalities originate from humans." as a researcher is turned into everyone's favorite Nothing There, the only real difference between what was going on pre-light and post-light is terminology and how widespread it is.

Actually after reading some stuff, Wonderlab mentions that Distortions don't produce enkephalin so its all of the downsides of producing abnormalities but with the only upside being free E.G.O. sometimes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also if you poke around the official website you can find rcorp gregor so we'll probably get that soon too

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

SITB posted:

I mean, the entire point of the White Nights as seen in Wonderlab was to give people hope for a better future and one character (Taii or Flower I think?) noted how people were smiling and being kinder to each other. I don't buy the explanation that if people would have power to break the system constraining them they as a collective would turn on each other because it functionally breaks the theme of how people as a rule are decent and the system forces them into abusing each other to survive. Furthermore the whole "someone need to lead the people for their own good" isn't something that I think PM believes given the WhiteNight :v: (EDIT: or even Ayin himself).

oh yeah no, im not making a human nature judgement, im saying that the system is effectively rigged against people. a big theme in Ruina is that everything feels inescapable, by design. its why I picked Yan, a guy who got closer than anyone else to seeing the city from a high level, and the cruelty of it broke it. giving ten random people nukes isn't going to overthrow capitalism.

i feel like some of these themes we get in chapter 2 with sonya and rodiya. the revolution needs both of them. you can't do anything without theory, and theory isn't good unless you do something. carmen was that to ayin, and losing her meant he lost the plot.

studio mujahideen fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 31, 2023

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

oh yeah no, im not making a human nature judgement, im saying that the system is effectively rigged against people. a big theme in Ruina is that everything feels inescapable, by design. its why I picked Yan, a guy who got closer than anyone else to seeing the city from a high level, and the cruelty of it broke it. giving ten random people nukes isn't going to overthrow capitalism.

i feel like some of these themes we get in chapter 2 with sonya and rodiya. the revolution needs both of them. you can't do anything without theory, and theory isn't good unless you do something. carmen was that to ayin, and losing her meant he lost the plot.

Carmen and Ayin's plan relied on giving everyone the power to break the system (as said by Geburah about Carmen and Ayin himself), the belief was that once they would be free from the constraints of the Head so no one would have to die meaningless deaths. I don't think he lost the plot either because as Binah herself noted Ayin did manage to break the cycle, which is why she was willing to give Angela a chance to see if she could break it again. Ayin failed because he had many flaws (and if he succeeded it would probably hew too close to one single savior redeems humanity* that PM showed they don't believe in), but he did in a small way succeeded and paved the way for others (Angela and Roland) to also break the cycle.

* I feel like WhiteNight imagery is about putting your trust into a divine being that absolves you from all sin contrasted with One Sin that shows that everyone can take their own steps towards redemption.

SITB fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 31, 2023

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

The real thing we should be debating is what is the Aberration of You're Bald, and who is gonna get the E.G.O. for it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Tellaris posted:

The real thing we should be debating is what is the Aberration of You're Bald, and who is gonna get the E.G.O. for it.

Ishmael is IMHO the only option.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Tellaris posted:

I yearn for an I'm Bald EGO, with a dumb animation like this one.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

actual footage of the bald is awesome ego in action

https://youtu.be/R_aniaGgSz4

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

now that i think about it, it would be really interesting if Demian's group was genuinely interested in Carmen's original ideal: giving people the power of EGO. and seemingly doing it the right way, which is trying to ease people into self actualization, rather than just overloading them with Light and letting their material situations take the wheel (ayin's terrible plan, only distorted people)

seems like something sonya would be interested in too

Demian's group seems to have to have a lot to do with with marks that mark someone out for a hosed up sort of greatness, which given the literary references they're drawing off of is in the PM take on it probably a very bad thing and runs counter to PM's themes of the whole "one big savior fixes everything" sort of deal being bad. So it seems unlikely that they're going to be the good guys that work towards Carmen's original ideal. At best they're likely to be misunderstanding the situation. Don't forget that Demian makes it clear that they don't have any intention of caring if a good chunk of humanity gets culled to see their ideals to fruition. If I recall it correctly Demian straight up says that Sinclair is special because he's going to be a part of their group and more importantly, survive whatever is coming by virtue of the mark. Dude's giving him a more alluring yet equally toxic version of Kromer's "I will have you eventually." treatment in their conversation while also casually dropping remarks that imply that most of humanity ain't gonna live to see the "paradise" that his group makes if they get their way.

To go off of what was said about whitenight above, the mark is according to the literary sources equivalent to the mark of Cain. Which is supposed to mark someone out for greatness and has obvious connotations of murderous deeds associated with it. Given who hands out marks in setting Demian and company are far more likely to get apostle-ified at some point unless there's a big swerve. Especially when you factor in the fact that WhiteNight's literary "influence" is rife with implications of it being either the antichrist or the devil and Demian's same named character is likened to a fallen angel.

TL;DR: Sonya and Demian are proper hosed in the long run unless they introduce a new story element that makes all of that be a red herring. And it's far more likely that they're playing for a pretty nasty goal given Sonya and Demian's speeches so far, which have some pretty horrifying exterminationist elements implicit to them amongst all the other nasty stuff that can be implied.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 31, 2023

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

oh yeah demians motivations are suspect, but itd be cool for a rival faction to be the group that figures out how to cultivate people's natural EGO, reflecting what limbus is doing with the sinners

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

I am down for Horse versions of our sinners

HAH, forgot what day it is in Korea

DropTheAnvil fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 31, 2023

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Of all the things to confirm that Dante's head really is a prosthetic (rather than him being a distortion like I expected), the april fool's day scene wasn't what I was expecting.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

lmao that was worth it, can't believe Virgilius is actually alt Amiya. also can't believe the new hire's rewards were also part of april fools and that's why they were hidden

Also 3* ticket gave me NCorp Saltman and 3 dupes, truly a guaranteed ticket (cause now I can focus on Pursuance. And maybe instead of Lantern, go for Rabbit Heathcliff)

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Cirina posted:

Of all the things to confirm that Dante's head really is a prosthetic (rather than him being a distortion like I expected), the april fool's day scene wasn't what I was expecting.
I'm not sure it does? It could still very well be EGO or a Distortion. Just because there's actual parts in there doesn't mean that it's manmade - just look at all the robot and machinery Abnormalities. You could probably open up something like You Must Become Strong or the ticket booth robot abnormality that's about to be in the Railway and tinker around in their innards and get a similar bizarre result to what happened to poor Dante.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

GilliamYaeger posted:

I'm not sure it does? It could still very well be EGO or a Distortion. Just because there's actual parts in there doesn't mean that it's manmade - just look at all the robot and machinery Abnormalities. You could probably open up something like You Must Become Strong or the ticket booth robot abnormality that's about to be in the Railway and tinker around in their innards and get a similar bizarre result to what happened to poor Dante.

True, the idea that he distorted rather than somehow replacing his head with a prosthetic before dying isn't done for yet.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DropTheAnvil posted:

I am down for Horse versions of our sinners

HAH, forgot what day it is in Korea

The refs to other gachas was a nice touch. Was that… Blue Archive, Arknights, and the horse game?

EDIT: Just pulled Tingtang Hong Lu with my guaranteed ticket :allears:

Quackles fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 31, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Quackles posted:

The refs to other gachas was a nice touch. Was that… Blue Archive, Arknights, and the horse game?

Yep.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

They also referenced other titles y only by the protag's rank (Master is obviously FGO and there was apparently the Girl's Frontline as well?)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

They also referenced other titles y only by the protag's rank (Master is obviously FGO and there was apparently the Girl's Frontline as well?)

Sadly no “Navigator” (Alchemy Stars) :(

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Quackles posted:

EDIT: Just pulled Tingtang Hong Lu with my guaranteed ticket :allears:

Oh my loving god. I just realized that smiling Vergilius is your generic gacha girl protag. That is so loving cursed! :v:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Quackles posted:

And brief mentions of even more - I don’t remember them all, but “Master” as a title could practically only be F/GO.

I don’t remember seeing “Traveler” or “Navigator” in the list and those would be almost the only others I’d positively identify.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

AweStriker posted:

And brief mentions of even more - I don’t remember them all, but “Master” as a title could practically only be F/GO.

I don’t remember seeing “Traveler” or “Navigator” in the list and those would be almost the only others I’d positively identify.

In total there's Producer, (Idolmaster) Leader, (Nikke?) Commander, (GFL) Master, (spoken in English, so has to be FGO) and Professor. (Neural Cloud)

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Archonex posted:

Oh my loving god. I just realized that smiling Vergilius is your generic gacha girl protag. That is so loving cursed! :v:
Vergil is the true heroine, confirmed!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Got a dupe Faust from the guaranteed ticket. Should have waited till Otis was added to the pool but I was impatient lol. Oh well

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Got a dupe Faust from the guaranteed ticket. Should have waited till Otis was added to the pool but I was impatient lol. Oh well
I'm not gonna use mine for at least a few months.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I got a new Blade Sinclair, plus the boxes from the event got me enough shards for R Heathcliff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its hosed up that we didnt get an idol virgilius CG

Archonex
May 2, 2012

For those that want the image references:

Bare witness to our Limbuscension. :unsmigghh:

Edit: They also made the old memes of Vergilius jokingly being assumed to be a gacha waifu protag prior to release canon, as someone on reddit pointed out and as people are jokingly melting down right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymK6o8fYGWQ

Translated youtube description posted a year ago posted:

I made this for fun with despair. It's not meant to be disparaging.

Recent posts on social media over the last hour or two summed up posted:

This is now canon. I want to distort

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 31, 2023

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
The April Fool's experience was "special" for me because the first time I loaded the game, I got the opening prologue segment in Korean, and it wouldn't let me change back to English. Turn it off, load it again, still the opening in Korean, close it and open it again--

Really putting me in the shoes of the Sinners there, game. Stop being broken, you drat clock.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Still haven't gotten any of the OOO N Corp identities, but the guaranteed ticket did finally give me an alternate identity for Sinclair. And apparently that one synergizes with Impending Day quite nicely, so he may get a spot on my main Refraction Railway team.

Eventually I'll use these 200-300 nominable egoshard crates, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I have 200 rn and I'm still unsure if to go for Pursuance (would need a bit of lucks), R Heathcliff (would need a lot of luck) or Lantern (could guarantee it). Cause Outis and Hong Lu shards are a bit too low to go for them at first.