Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Russell Wilson went for two firsts, two seconds, and three players.

Matt Stafford went for two firsts.

Carson Wentz went for two thirds.

So, you know, depends on which agenda you want to push I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Hey man I think the Jets should probably receive a pick just for taking that salary dump off the Packers hands!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fsif posted:

None of those guys were considered 1-2 years away from retirement. Stafford was 32, Wilson 33, Wentz like 28 or something. Rodgers is 39 right now and has talked about imminently retiring for the last 3 years.

There’s a reason Wilson and Stafford had multiple suitors driving up their price and Rodgers just had the Jets.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Half the Stafford cost was eating the Goff contract, and yeah Russ was supposed to be a long term answer

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wilson was 34 and looked broken in Seattle so long term is in the eye of the beholder I guess

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also Matt was a ticking time bomb if injuries that you hoped kept together to win as soon as possible before breaking down

Which to be fair is what happened

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wilson was 34 and looked broken in Seattle so long term is in the eye of the beholder I guess

He was 33 when the trade happened. He turned 34 during the season. Also his last season in Seattle was better than Rodgers last season in Green Bay, so if he looked broken the prognosis for 39 year old Aaron doesn’t seem great.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

None of those guys were considered 1-2 years away from retirement. Stafford was 32, Wilson 33, Wentz like 28 or something. Rodgers is 39 right now and has talked about imminently retiring for the last 3 years.

There’s a reason Wilson and Stafford had multiple suitors driving up their price and Rodgers just had the Jets.

Okay but at the start of the offseason last year, I think everyone would have valued Ryan much more highly than Wentz; Ryan ended up fetching considerably less more because of contextual factors (dealt late, Atlanta had no LEVERAGE) than via a straight valuation.

Anyway, I do feel like just a second is probably the fairest compensation for Rodgers at this state in his career, but Leverage Wars is putting us in a weird place.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

fsif posted:

Okay but at the start of the offseason last year, I think everyone would have valued Ryan much more highly than Wentz; Ryan ended up fetching considerably less more because of contextual factors (dealt late, Atlanta had no LEVERAGE) than via a straight valuation.

Anyway, I do feel like just a second is probably the fairest compensation for Rodgers at this state in his career, but Leverage Wars is putting us in a weird place.

Sure. If the Packers had traded Rodgers last season they would have gotten a haul, but they’re a year too late. Now his market is one team and his value is whatever they’re willing to pay for him, which will probably feel too low for a recent two time MVP and HoFer but also too high for an crotchety old dipshit coming off an injury riddled and disappointing season.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

crotchety old dipshit

Now there's a forum username :chanpop:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fsif posted:

None of those guys were 39 and carrying a 60 million dollar cap hit.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Hey man I think the Jets should probably receive a pick just for taking that salary dump off the Packers hands!

Yes. Unironically yes.

The only reason the Jets feel they have to pay anything is the context of their history and QB situation.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

sweet fancy moses just complete this stupid rear end trade already

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Never! I want it to be midnight of day 1 of the draft and the trade still hasn't happened yet.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

This is an elite quarterback one year removed from an MVP run who only had a down year because of his broken thumb and rookie receivers… but you'd have to pay me to take him!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

fsif posted:

This is an elite quarterback one year removed from an MVP run who only had a down year because of his broken thumb and rookie receivers… but you'd have to pay me to take him!

Lamar's 3 years removed from an MVP run and took his team to playoffs all but one year since then, and a fifth of the league publicly said "we suddenly think injuries matter"

You can have dumb fans, you can have dumb owners; you won't always have both, but in this league it's impossible to have neither

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

The only reason the Jets feel they have to pay anything is the context of their history and QB situation.

So very much to unravel here.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

Never! I want it to be midnight of day 1 of the draft and the trade still hasn't happened yet.

Trade won’t happen until the Hall of Fame game :getin:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

fsif posted:

Well it’s not like he’s free. That contract loving sucks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fartknocker posted:

Trade won’t happen until the Hall of Fame game :getin:

I just want it to be day 2 of the draft, pick 42 on the clock, footage of the Jets GM beet faced, yelling into a phone as time ticks down... then suddenly there's no pick, but the Jets are still on the clock because they also have pick 43, and as time ticks down.... the Falcons suddenly have a guy with a card in hand waiting for the timer to hit so he can run up and turn it in.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean despite what talking heads keep trying to convince people it’s definitely going up to the draft.

Which means we got three more weeks of by the end of the week nonsense

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

So very much to unravel here.

It's a franchise with a 97 year playoff drought and a 275 year home playoff game drought and the fans are loving livid to win. That is the only real pressure on the Jets.

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

It's a franchise with a 97 year playoff drought and a 275 year home playoff game drought and the fans are loving livid to win. That is the only real pressure on the Jets.

Oh, so nobody is going to be fired if they open the season with Zach Wilson at QB1?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Just announce it already

https://twitter.com/obj/status/1641529060496150530?s=46&t=P3XssXLM-C4CAr7AH0YIKA

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Oh, so nobody is going to be fired if they open the season with Zach Wilson at QB1?

I don't think that is an actual real option that could happen.

Nov 6, 2002

I hope not (well actually I do). Joe Douglas should be fired from a canon if Wilson is starting week one.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Well they’re probably not thrilled about paying Lamar 250+ guaranteed so maybe the packers do have some LEVERAGE if that’s the case??

Jets are also lacking a Great American playBook to make this happen

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 30, 2023

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean if you can't get this trade done going into the draft, you draft some QB in round 2 and go with god. No loving way does Zach start a game without a massive series of unfortunate events.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I hope not (well actually I do). Joe Douglas should be fired from a canon if Wilson is starting week one.

He should be fired from a cannon if he's the backup behind a 40 year old starter too tbh

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I know I've said there are worse divisions in the Worst Division race, but if this one tries another year of half its starting QBs being Mac and Zach they have to at least be given a significant boost up the rankings

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Kalli posted:

I mean if you can't get this trade done going into the draft, you draft some QB in round 2 and go with god. No loving way does Zach start a game without a massive series of unfortunate events.

Yea. The Jets don’t have any *good* options but they’ve got options that aren’t starting with Zack Wilson. Draft a guy, trade for Tannehill, sign Matt Ryan, whatever…nobody is getting fired before the year starts if they don’t land Rodgers. If the seasons goes badly some folks are getting fired but there’s a pretty reasonable chance of that even if they land Rodgers.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

already has a green jersey

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Drafting a QB in the second just because is maybe the saddest desperation move possible.

I think sadder than the Cam Newton experience

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Drafting a QB in the second just because is maybe the saddest desperation move possible.

I think sadder than the Cam Newton experience

Depends on who. Even if they get Rodgers is there they’ve got no plan for the future and no backup on the roster on the roster other than Wilson. If they can get Hooker in the 2nd round that’s not a bad outcome.

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022

Kalli posted:

I just want it to be day 2 of the draft, pick 42 on the clock, footage of the Jets GM beet faced, yelling into a phone as time ticks down... then suddenly there's no pick, but the Jets are still on the clock because they also have pick 43, and as time ticks down.... the Falcons suddenly have a guy with a card in hand waiting for the timer to hit so he can run up and turn it in.

It would be an excellent addition to the supercut of Jets draft disasters

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

Would this be a worthy addition to JetsDraftBlunders.mp4? I think so…

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Chris James 2 posted:

another year of half its starting QBs being Mac and Zach

The AFC Disney Channel Division

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Thread is writing JetsDraft fan fiction again.

Nov 6, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

Thread is writing JetsDraft fan fiction again.

It's fiction to imagine the Jets making bad decisions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

yes, things that you have imagined are fictional