Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
A lawyer walks into a bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
He has crippling alcoholism

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I love german humor.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Client: Hey man, if you ever have anything you need done around the office, let me know, I want to go to law school.

Me: Do you remember three months ago when your wife assaulted you and threatened suicide and you ended up in inpatient care because you threatened to kill yourself?

Client: "Yeah."

Me: "Worst part of your life, right?

Client: "Yeah."

Me: "Normal Tuesday."

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I love german humor.

How germane.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Anyone know an LA area med mal lawyer? Figure I'd ask before I use the referral service.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Chat GPT... Welcome to law school.

"We’ve created GPT-4, the latest milestone in OpenAI’s effort in scaling up deep learning. GPT-4 is a large multimodal model (accepting image and text inputs, emitting text outputs) that, while less capable than humans in many real-world scenarios, exhibits human-level performance on various professional and academic benchmarks. For example, it passes a simulated bar exam with a score around the top 10% of test takers; in contrast, GPT-3.5’s score was around the bottom 10%. We’ve spent 6 months iteratively aligning GPT-4 using lessons from our adversarial testing program as well as ChatGPT, resulting in our best-ever results (though far from perfect) on factuality, steerability, and refusing to go outside of guardrails."

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Seems like this kind of technology would be most beneficial to small practices that don't have massive staff reserves to put towards any given task. Rather than removing the need for attorneys it seems like it would very slightly diminish the advantage that large firms would have over their smaller counterparts, at least in some circumstances.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

Just for being orderly and poo poo, anyone needing a discord invite please post about it below and you'll be pmd an invite. If you don't have pm please make a temp email account.

You need to be:

- some form of lawyer or lawyer dawg
- some form of goon
- not a disruptive rear end in a top hat (HDD is already on the server)

Sounds good, I’ll take that PM

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

A PM for me too, thx.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Sent. Don't @ me

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
fresh meat

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Just for being orderly and poo poo, anyone needing a discord invite please post about it below and you'll be pmd an invite. If you don't have pm please make a temp email account.

You need to be:

- some form of goon

I don't have PM, should I post a temp email address?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hyper Inferno posted:

I don't have PM, should I post a temp email address?

Nah, don't worry about it. Post actively (preferably itt which is a good thread) and be merry.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

yronic heroism posted:

Sounds good, I’ll take that PM

I should try this Discord business.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Shageletic posted:

I should try this Discord business.

In general or are you asking for an invite?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I am!

E: lol sorry I meant I want an invite.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

You need to be:

- some form of goon

May I be invited as well? If it's applicable to law students.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

Y'all decide for yourselves what he meant, because as soon as I pointed out that the next page of his case contradicts his argument, he just tells the judge, "Well, I didn't actually read the case."

FYI this guy is in jail now and will almost certainly be losing his license

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Another W for the ole Blarzghster

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

blarzgh posted:

FYI this guy is in jail now and will almost certainly be losing his license

Nice.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Another W for the ole Blarzghster

Yes, all part of my plan to have him embarrass himself in court, which would cause him to choke out his elderly girlfriend six months later and also steal all of his clients' trust account money.

edit: then get him picked up at the same bar - while on probation - where the same cops arrested him the last time, for violating his probation.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Go to law school, kids!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Incredible seeing a master at work

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Blarzghinga!

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

blarzgh posted:

Go to law school, kids!

Let’s not say things we can’t take back

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Yes, all part of my plan to have him embarrass himself in court, which would cause him to choke out his elderly girlfriend six months later and also steal all of his clients' trust account money.

edit: then get him picked up at the same bar - while on probation - where the same cops arrested him the last time, for violating his probation.

Well when he got his probation he didn't read it on and on

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nichael posted:

This u?

Nichael the for real law student posted:

the law ain't real, lawboy

Color me sceptical.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 10, 2023

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Nichael posted:

Woah - incredible that there are people on SA young enough to still be attending law school.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sab0921 posted:

Woah - incredible that there are people on SA young enough to still be attending law school.

You don't have to be young. Just prone to bad life choices.

Toona the Cat posted:

Let’s not say things we can’t take back
You should go again.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This u?

Color me sceptical.

:ok:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

This u?

Color me sceptical.

It's skeptical, norseman.

I believe OP - who would pretend to be a lawyer/law student to get access to a lawyers only discord from a dying forum 20 years past its prime. That's a scenario that is too sad to entertain

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

blarzgh posted:

also steal all of his clients' trust account money.

Based on looking at disbarment cases for funsies awhile ago this is what's going to do it for this dude.

Also lawyers sure love getting DUIs

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's just a Discord where we yell at Nichael to quit

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Shageletic posted:

It's just a Discord where we yell at Nichael to quit

Dude ran a campaign to try to primary a sitting Senator (and got like 25% of the vote), I don’t think he’s going to quit that easy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/chancery_daily/status/1645525095857750032

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

HEAD?

After four years he can maybe, MAYBE find his own rear end.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nobody who knows how to do the job would take it. Everybody knows Musk has no intention of complying with any law until forced to do so.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Musk is gonna be scrubbing thru moot competitions at this rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nobody who knows how to do the job would take it. Everybody knows Musk has no intention of complying with any law until forced to do so.

My thoughts too. Was his only other offer to work for Trump on one of his criminal cases?

What are the chances a third year Skadden associate has seen the inside of a courtroom?