Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
:69snypa:

Latest casualty counts:

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

StoryTime posted:

Oh man, I still remember the massive strategy gaming forums flamewars about spearmen defeating tanks in Sid Meier's Civilization, back in the day. All kinds of wild scenarios were postulated to explain how the wily Aztecs managed to destroy rampaging modern armor. Digging huge holes and tricking the tanks into driving in was absolutely one of them.

I thought the arguments were real dumb. Silly me.

I think the closest thing to this in reality is during the Spanish conquest of Tenerife, where the local Guanches who were living in an essentially stone-age society, armed with literal rocks and hardened wood spears, were attacked by 1100 Spaniards who had horses, guns, crossbows and plate armor, but who were led by an arrogant noble who got just a little too overconfident in his technological superiority and managed to lead his force into a ravine where the locals killed 80%+ of them by throwing rocks down from the sides in the first battle of Acentejo.

Sadly, the noble managed to escape, and six months later came back with a similar force but with the arrogance dialed down a bit and conquered and enslaved the locals.

If someone believes that they are absolutely going to win because of superior equipment and has nothing but contempt on the abilities of their enemies, a smart adversary can defeat them. Regardless of the equipment.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Eckel/status/1641716943576088578
Russian General: We assure you you won't be sent to Ukraine to assault dug in defenders in piecemeal numbers.
Also Russian general: I lied!

This is just the regular bi-annual conscription call up, and the numbers aren't anything extraordinary. Now, what happens to the current outgoing intake is another story, they can go from being conscripts who can't fight unless a war is declared, to being mobilised as soon as they are discharged from their compulsory service.

As for the poo poo Erdogan is pulling, initially he demanded Sweden extradite some alleged PKK and YPG etc. members and supporters. After some Russian funded wanker burnt a Koran, Erdogan added dozens of names to the list of people he wanted extradited, including people accused simply of 'insulting the president' for criticising his rule.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tuna-Fish posted:

I think the closest thing to this in reality is during the Spanish conquest of Tenerife, where the local Guanches who were living in an essentially stone-age society, armed with literal rocks and hardened wood spears, were attacked by 1100 Spaniards who had horses, guns, crossbows and plate armor, but who were led by an arrogant noble who got just a little too overconfident in his technological superiority and managed to lead his force into a ravine where the locals killed 80%+ of them by throwing rocks down from the sides in the first battle of Acentejo.

Sadly, the noble managed to escape, and six months later came back with a similar force but with the arrogance dialed down a bit and conquered and enslaved the locals.

If someone believes that they are absolutely going to win because of superior equipment and has nothing but contempt on the abilities of their enemies, a smart adversary can defeat them. Regardless of the equipment.

yeah remember the ewoks took out stormtroopers and AT-STs using logs and some clever net traps at endor

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

yeah remember the ewoks took out stormtroopers and AT-STs using logs and some clever net traps at endor

I still cant believe how Joe Biden forced the empire to destroy Alderaan

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

:siren: deadly Ukrainian bioweapon in action :siren:

https://i.imgur.com/fQDcPdu.mp4

Untitled Goose Game sequel lookin' good.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

The Ukrainian foreign minister is asking for the UK government to deny visas for Russian tennis players at Wimbledon since sports has been a fairly hot topic for whatever reason lately.

https://twitter.com/DmytroKuleba/status/1641789759356907527?cxt=HHwWjsC9pc3F58gtAAAA

The top reply is uh certainly something, wow.

https://twitter.com/GabeZZOZZ/status/1641790704799084550

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Eckel/status/1641716943576088578
Russian General: We assure you you won't be sent to Ukraine to assault dug in defenders in piecemeal numbers.
Also Russian general: I lied!

Of course not, they'll just be pressed really, really hard into signing contracts so they can be deployed on the front lines.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Hungary deposited its ratification papers today, so their part is done vis-a-vis Finland's accession. Hopefully Turkey does the same next week.

https://twitter.com/_SzabolcsTakacs/status/1641821972303687681

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

How many goose gifs have there been? I can think of three.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Every time I see anything related to the 2nd Pacific Squadron I just mouth "Kamchatka" and start giggling. That loving boat and its crew were way ahead of the Battlefield 2 "ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED"-style griefing.

Yeah for those who don't know, the Kamchatka was a Russian supply ship on the Voyage of the Damned, who nearly started a war with the United Kingdom. Off the coast of England the Kamchatka decided she had spotted Japanese torpedo boats (OFF THE COAST OF ENGLAND. JAPANESE. TORPEDO BOATS) and started firing at them. They were British fishing trawlers. In the ensuing fire fight the Russians managed to kill one British sailor, but also one Russian sailor and a Russian chaplain, therefore managing to lose a naval battle against a handful of unarmored fishers.

After repeated similar incidents even the Russian fleet had had enough of the Kamchatka and told her to fall back to the rear of the formation and stop trying to start world wars.

And this isn't even the dumbest thing about the Voyage of the Damned.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah for those who don't know, the Kamchatka was a Russian supply ship on the Voyage of the Damned, who nearly started a war with the United Kingdom. Off the coast of England the Kamchatka decided she had spotted Japanese torpedo boats (OFF THE COAST OF ENGLAND. JAPANESE. TORPEDO BOATS) and started firing at them. They were British fishing trawlers. In the ensuing fire fight the Russians managed to kill one British sailor, but also one Russian sailor and a Russian chaplain, therefore managing to lose a naval battle against a handful of unarmored fishers.

After repeated similar incidents even the Russian fleet had had enough of the Kamchatka and told her to fall back to the rear of the formation and stop trying to start world wars.

Was posted in earlier iterations of the thread, but still worth a watch if you haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzGqp3R4Mx4

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
erdogan is a petty goof

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Our call up of 147k new conscripts will not result in them being sent to combat. Also, it's only a coincidence that you can't reach your son, he's, uh, training, with no cell signal.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

WarpedLichen posted:

The Ukrainian foreign minister is asking for the UK government to deny visas for Russian tennis players at Wimbledon since sports has been a fairly hot topic for whatever reason lately.

https://twitter.com/DmytroKuleba/status/1641789759356907527?cxt=HHwWjsC9pc3F58gtAAAA

edit by Toxic Mental: I'm gonna go the safe route and un-embed this one that shows historical black and white bodies https://twitter.com/GabeZZOZZ/status/1641825459007619072

Be allowed to post poo poo by subscribing blue!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 31, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tai posted:

Be allowed to post poo poo by subscribing blue!

Thanks for the inline corpses.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"The ship is also known in popular media for its habit of transmitting the query "Do you see torpedo boats?" in situations where enemy torpedo boats could not possibly have been present, nevertheless causing panic aboard other ships of her squadron"

loving lol (from Wikipedia)

Edit: holy poo poo

"After navigating a non-existent minefield, the Russian fleet sailed into the North Sea."

""the captain of the supply ship Kamchatka (Камчатка), which was last in the Russian line, took a passing Swedish ship for a Japanese torpedo boat and radioed that he was being attacked."

"Later that night, during fog, the officers on duty sighted the British trawlers, interpreted their signals incorrectly and classified them as Japanese torpedo boats although they were more than 20,000 miles (30,000 km) from Japan."

" During the pandemonium, several Russian ships signalled torpedoes had hit them, and on board the battleship Borodino, rumours spread that the ship was being boarded by the Japanese, with some crews donning life vests and lying prone on the deck and others drawing cutlasses. More serious losses to both sides were avoided only because of the extremely low quality of Russian gunnery, with the battleship Oryol reportedly firing more than 500 shells without hitting anything.[9]"

Just spectacular stuff. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogger_Bank_incident

Edit2: it just keeps going
"The Kamchatka eventually rejoined the fleet and claimed that she had engaged three Japanese warships and fired over 300 shells. The ships she had actually fired at were a Swedish merchantman, a German trawler, and a French schooner. As the fleet left Tangiers, one ship accidentally severed the city's underwater telegraph cable with her anchor, preventing communications with Europe for four days.[9]"

Roblo fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 31, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Roblo posted:

loving lol (from Wikipedia)

Edit: holy poo poo

Edit2: it just keeps going

It's absolutely astonishing stuff. If I didn't know it was real, it would be hard to believe it was true.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
kamchatka is where wrex the krogan is from

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
In the I hope it's true department, some combat video out there today with some DPR guys slinging the ole garbage rod as a DMR. Wonder if we're ever going to see what the Russian equivalent of the Krag was. We just need to get the T-34's out of storage and they can truly reenact WW2.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
It reminds me of the time Liechtenstein's army returned home from war with more men than it left with

quote:

Today, Liechtenstein is a small country – the fourth smallest state in Europe and sixth smallest in the world. It rests on the banks of the Rhine between Switzerland and Austria. It was named after the Princes of Lichtenstein, who united the County of Vaduz and the lands of Schellenberg in 1719, forming their small but charming Principality of Liechtenstein.

They managed to remain neutral (and thus largely avoid) both world wars. In 1943, the principality went so far as to ban the Nazi party. By this time, indeed, they didn’t even have an army, having disbanded it completely in 1868.

And yet their final deployment in 1866 remains notorious for two reasons: first, they lost no battles and suffered zero casualties (having avoided all fighting). Second, they left with a force of 80 men — and returned home with 81.

Or so the legend goes…

During the Austro-Prussian War of 1866, Liechtenstein sent an army of 80 strong to guard the Brenner Pass between Austria and Italy while a reserve of 20 men stayed behind. While the deployed force was there to defend the territory against any attack from the Prussian-allied Italians, according to War History Online, “there was really nothing to do but sit in the beautiful mountains, drink wine and beer, smoke a pipe and take it easy.”

In the main theater of the war, the Battle of Königgrätz would earn Prussia a victory, decisively ending the war.

So the men of Liechtenstein marched home. When they returned, however, their numbers had grown to 81.

But who was the extra man?

According to The World at War, an Austrian liaison officer joined them. Lonely Planet seems to share a version naming the newcomer an “Italian friend” — other sources have suggested that he was a defector.

None of the stories seem to be substantiated — but no one has debunked them either.

Meanwhile, Liechtenstein remains a thriving and successful country — that still has no army to this day.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1641774999416520706

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

It reminds me of the time Liechtenstein's army returned home from war with more men than it left with

Equally bizarre is how Lichtenstein is named after the Princess of Lichtenstein.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The best part of the whole thing is when they finally made it to the final stretch of their journey right next to Japan in the Tsushima Strait they mis-identified the Japanese fleet as Russian, identified themselves, and promptly got sunk.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

:69snypa:

Latest casualty counts:

Half the casualties of the average day on match.

Interesting. Why? The assaults aren't more effective so there must be a rampdown or the dream is fading for these offensives to the point that they don't have 1000 people to send and lose.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Warbadger posted:

The best part of the whole thing is when they finally made it to the final stretch of their journey right next to Japan in the Tsushima Strait they mis-identified the Japanese fleet as Russian, identified themselves, and promptly got sunk.

Identified themselves and sent their entire battle plan to the Japanese ship.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

WarpedLichen posted:

How long till Musk realizes his blue checkmark policies are the dumbest God damned thing ever?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Lammasu posted:

How long till Musk realizes his blue checkmark policies are the dumbest God damned thing ever?

How long until the world realizes Musk bought twitter to saddle with a bunch of debt then fire into the sun.

That’ll show those ‘pedophiles’

zone
Dec 6, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Interesting. Why? The assaults aren't more effective so there must be a rampdown or the dream is fading for these offensives to the point that they don't have 1000 people to send and lose.

It appears in line with the ISW reports, intelligence assessments, and OSINT community, as well as from the Ukrainian military themselves, about the news that in the last three or four days the number of attacks across the front line have gone down by more than half due to the possible culmination of their winter offensive and are primarily focused around Bakhmut and Avdiivka.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm blocked by whoever that other Gabe twitter account is so I dunno what it said but if they blocked me it was probably some really dumb poo poo anyway so no big loss

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the russian flag version of that is even worse :whitewater:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1641894463374086165
I wonder what's coming in this package?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah for those who don't know, the Kamchatka was a Russian supply ship on the Voyage of the Damned, who nearly started a war with the United Kingdom. Off the coast of England the Kamchatka decided she had spotted Japanese torpedo boats (OFF THE COAST OF ENGLAND. JAPANESE. TORPEDO BOATS)

This isn't quite as outlandish as you might think. The UK was a not-quite-ally of Japan and had been building ships for the Japanese for a number of years. It wasn't impossible that Japan could have commissioned torpedo boats from British shipyards and had crews there to take command of them.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Code book filled HIMARS Rounds to stop Russian aggression at once

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

I'm blocked by whoever that other Gabe twitter account is so I dunno what it said but if they blocked me it was probably some really dumb poo poo anyway so no big loss

yeah same, weird lol. thanks musk i guess.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

HonorableTB posted:

appropriatemetaphor posted:

yeah same, weird lol. thanks musk i guess.

Well, I preserved it for you, but it's pretty disgusting. Click to see, not hotlinking.

:nms: Tag for anti-Ukranian hot garbage image.

https://www.magetower.com/pics/NaziShitheadTweet.jpg

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

One: it snowed. A lot.
Two: those numbers mean nothing. It's just a propaganda number. Perun did a far better job of explaining why so I'm not going to even try

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

A single B2 and enough flight hours to see things to a finish, hopefully.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

HonorableTB posted:

account registered in Feb 2022, generic truck dude profile pic, literally only posts about one thing, contributes nothing to anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Huh. I'm sorry you went through the effort of uploading that, Locator. What a waste of bandwidth