Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

She mentioned that there were originally 9 but that they later recruited others

Yeah. And there have to be a whole lot of these ragechangelings, since we've already seen a bunch of them get vaporized. Including a few by Vadic herself, for reasons that aren't entirely clear beyond "character is EVIL, see?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

Taear posted:

She tells them that she linked with other changelings and they also got whatever is in her.

The changeling shoot out was a considered and thought about thing though.
And bashir wanting to suicide makes sense in the context of what they needed that changeling to do (he did also try to escape at first, but his role was HUGE)
There's a big difference between that and "we captured 9 founders"

Was it that thought out? Even assuming they make it to a planet, you don't know what is going to happen to the Changelings. Especially since they don't even know what they are. Seems it is a bit safer to make normal first contact, especially when you control one of the most powerful political entities in the quadrant, if not galaxy, in the Dominion.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

200 starships is a lot to be fair. The shows show the starships as always very busy, presumably because they are faster than everything else. And a lot of federation members still maintain their own fleets.

The Federation is made up of 150+ member worlds (assuming a lot more when you count small colonies). That is a lot of space you need to protect. And that isn't even getting into exploring the unknown. It just always causes me to roll my eyes thinking that Starfleet is apparently smaller than the US Navy when it comes to active members. That or just 99% of personnel are assigned to Starbases.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So Picard and Beverly think the Changelings need his body because Picard was to be part of the Frontier Day celebrations and Starfleet would scan him and his DNA before allowing him on stage.

But he's in a fake body now. Does it even have DNA? And wouldn't Starfleet have updated their scans to reflect the synth body? So getting his old corpse and his son's blood to create a fake makes even less sense.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Also the entirety of Starfleet Command are apparently all changelings who know the real Picard is on the run, so… who is this ruse even for? Just have a changeling be the one giving the blood tests and you’re all set. What’s to stop them from just having one of these meatlings impersonate Picard at the event anyway for the regular crewmen who haven’t been replaced yet?

See, this is where “we started to write the season without deciding if the big bads were changelings or conspiracy bugs” really becomes evident, because none of these motivations or complicated plans make sense with the former but would with the latter.

“Our bugs can’t control your new synth body, but they can puppet your old biological one and that’s why we stole it to impersonate you at Frontier Day”

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 31, 2023

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

'hey wait, this scan says that picard is picard. but isn't he a robot now?'

'yeah that's a good point! lets get him!'

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Come to think of it, now that Picard's a wanted fugitive, you'd think the event organizers would rescind his invitation to give a speech anyway.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

And all the Founders day plot stuff doesn't explain Jack or why he's a wizard now.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I love how there doesn't seem to be any internal consistency between episodes. In the previous episode they stated that the Daystrom Intistute merely inherited all of Section 31's stuff and was not responsible for the virus. Then this episode has Vadic going on about how she was experimented on and tortured at the Daystrom.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Also the entirety of Starfleet Command are apparently all changelings who know the real Picard is on the run, so… who is this ruse even for? Just have a changeling be the one giving the blood tests and you’re all set. What’s to stop them from just having one of these meatlings impersonate Picard at the event anyway for the regular crewmen who haven’t been replaced yet?

See, this is where “we started to write the season without deciding if the big bads were changelings or conspiracy bugs” really becomes evident, because none of these motivations or complicated plans make sense with the former but would with the latter.

“Our bugs can’t control your new synth body, but they can puppet your old biological one and that’s why we stole it to impersonate you at Frontier Day”

They should just lean into the stupidity and have both Changelings and conspiracy bugs. The season can end with the two sides destroying each out as they get in the way of the other side's attempt to infiltrate Starfleet. Only the crew of the Titan will be left, as the last remaining members of Starfleet not to be replaced and impersonated.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

They should just lean into the stupidity and have both Changelings and conspiracy bugs. The season can end with the two sides destroying each out as they get in the way of the other side's attempt to infiltrate Starfleet. Only the crew of the Titan will be left, as the last remaining members of Starfleet not to be replaced and impersonated.

See I actually think there's a decent chance that the guy in control of the changelings is a conspiracy bug.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I think it is a good chance the big bad is a classic TNG villain but this show is also the Picard Show so there is also a good chance it is angry Kes or the Suliban

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Can Changeling be Conspiracy bugged? If so, than all you need to do is get the whole package borg'ed as well and there, three villains for the price of one actor!

Think of the savings!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Edit: Conspiracy bug made me quote not edit. The bastard!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Even if the writing takes an upward turn they've blown past the point where they can set stakes by revealing the evil villain behind it all and have it be at all meaningful.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The big bad is actually Traveler Wesley, crazy with jealousy over Jack being Picard’s actual son

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Perhaps the big bad is a Pakled who got brain-boosted by the Cytherians.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Perhaps there is something wrong with YOU!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Powered Descent posted:

Perhaps the big bad is a Pakled who got brain-boosted by the Cytherians.

Judging by the state of starfleet and the whole idea of frontier day I think it's safe to say the Pakleds have joined the Federation somewhere between Prodigy and Picard

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Nah, they'd be ran more competently if the Pakled had joined.
Like their whole thing was that they tricked more advanced races into helping them and then stole their tech by playing idiots. That takes a bit more brains than what we've seen of the Federation in Picard.

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 31, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Alchenar posted:

The most positive thing I can say about this is that Amanda Plummer is doing absolutely heroic work with the script she's been given. It's not good, but someone else with that material could have been completely unwatchable

Her delivery is so out-of-place, I skip scenes where she's doing extended dialogue, same with Jack. Cut those 2 out of the show and we only have like 15 more cuts to make to get this show to be a real show.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

External Organs posted:

Judging by the state of starfleet and the whole idea of frontier day I think it's safe to say the Pakleds have joined the Federation somewhere between Prodigy and Picard

It does feel like Pakled logic to assemble the entire fleet together in one place for a dumb parade.

But I just remembered that distance and time are meaningless now so maybe they know what they're doing.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Big Bad: You never guessed it was I behind all of this, Picard! Whenever you have a son, I will be there to do bad things!
Picard: Daimon Bok! How did I not know?
Daimon Bok: That's because every time I appear, I make sure I am played by a different actor! Groppler Zorn, Armus, Sela, finish him!

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
Well now I want the big bad to be Groppler Zorn.

At this point I expect that the big bad is actually just meant to be a regular changeling that is directing these neochangelings. They don't seem to have any character beyond "Frontier Day! Get Jack Crusher! Grrrr!"

Penitent fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 31, 2023

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

DaiMon Bok! I should have known!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's no way that Avery Brooks comes back to TV for this show, surely.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The reveal next week will be that Jack is the host of the Phoenix Force

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alchenar posted:

There's no way that Avery Brooks comes back to TV for this show, surely.

I don't think I'd ever stop laughing, especially after Robert Beltran looked at the scripts and went "Nah, I'm cool homes, but gently caress you for asking though."

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

The Founders are loving gods in the Dominion. If 9 were missing they would be furious.

I could buy they rounded up like 2 of the Odo Changelings, but 9 of them?

It was my assumption that these were changelings that were spys during the war and got captured.

I had to laugh when vadic said they had to go to war because the solids ruin every world they touch. Well, you guys dominate every world you touch. You literally call yourselves the Dominion!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Alchenar posted:

Even if the writing takes an upward turn they've blown past the point where they can set stakes by revealing the evil villain behind it all and have it be at all meaningful.

There's nothing here to save. There's no 'interesting sci-fi story' or 'Trek-level moral quandary' to resolve here. There's just a 'basic adventure' plot - there's going to be an attack, we need to stop it - with the sci-fi element being bog-standard 'space ships and lasers' plus a dash of, I don't know, 'Jurassic Park' for whatever Jack is supposed to be.

This is not going to end with Humans coming to terms with their creation of V'ger or Picard understanding the metaphor language from Darmok or clever people figuring their way out of a doomed timeloop like Cause and Effect. This is going to be two and a half more episodes of dumb filler and a blue-beam-in-the-sky fleet battle, only with all the old ships from 30 years ago saving the day. It's loving Battlefield Earth.

There's no 'upward turn' for the writing to take. There's no meaningful story being told. This is a nostalgia wank, and the only good thing to come out of it is some actors and crew members are getting paid.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

It's their name! Of course they're going to dominate worlds!

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

ashpanash posted:

There's no 'upward turn' for the writing to take. There's no meaningful story being told. This is a nostalgia wank, and the only good thing to come out of it is some actors and crew members are getting paid.

Yeah... as much as this show makes me furious I must admit it's great to see the old TNG cast get another pay day from the franchise.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

dr_rat posted:

Can Changeling be Conspiracy bugged? If so, than all you need to do is get the whole package borg'ed as well and there, three villains for the price of one actor!

Think of the savings!

By Grabthar's hammer, what a savings!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lister posted:

It was my assumption that these were changelings that were spys during the war and got captured.

I had to laugh when vadic said they had to go to war because the solids ruin every world they touch. Well, you guys dominate every world you touch. You literally call yourselves the Dominion!

In fairness, that line was consistent with the Founders' point of view on solids. They basically started the Dominion because some rear end in a top hat species were racist to them thousands of years ago.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If nobody in starfleet can warn the fleet about the Frontier Day plot, it is too bad there's nobody not part of starfleet, who could get the word out. With experience with the changelings and credibility, like some kind of journalist who is a renowned writer. It is too bad there is no such person.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They could've done one episode with Vadic as some splinter zealot and all sorts of directions for a little excursion and changeling visit with some characters who we never saw deal with them in DS9.

They could've had an episode where Jack is having psychic poo poo going on and Crusher and Bev are worried he's going to go full blown Wesley or some poo poo but actually he just wants to synchronize dance.

Then they could've had an episode where they visit a planet that has a weird culture regarding family which causes these old characters to reflect on family or some aspect of it and moral obligation or whatever.

They could've had an episode with a museum holodeck malfunction.

An episode with data. Episode with other characters who get to shine for that plots moral question or conflict just anything a Trek episode should be about.

Evidently jamming in the old characters is more than enough for some people to ignore everything as say the show is good, which means they can do whatever they want no matter how stupid or lovely and a significant proportion of the audience will have the same baseline level of enjoyment and trying to rope others into watching.

Given that level of absolute freedom, I just don't understand why they've structured it this way and why they've chosen this one bad episode idea to stretch into the season. It's not even fun, it's not lovely because of misguided passion or some specific person needling through their pet ideas, it's just a quagmire of lovely and mediocre rough draft ideas.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The big bad is the nudist fitness hippies who are still mad about Wesley breaking their plant laws

But they can’t get Wesley so they’ll get Jack. Picard is just a red herring.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
There's just way too much poo poo thrown at the wall this season for no real reason. None of it is sticking and it feels like an incoherent mess. Seeing more of the TNG cast again is great but good christ they deserved so much better. I am still hanging on because yes, I want to see the big dumb scene with the hero ships or whatever, give me that slop right from the trough.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The antagonists of the show are the big women from the planet of the big women who wanted to gently caress the poo poo out of Riker in Season 1 and they're finally back to finish the job they started 30 years ago.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If nobody in starfleet can warn the fleet about the Frontier Day plot, it is too bad there's nobody not part of starfleet, who could get the word out. With experience with the changelings and credibility, like some kind of journalist who is a renowned writer. It is too bad there is no such person.

They're busy writing Kingdom Hearts fanfic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It’s exocomps. They’re back for revenge.