Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nameless Pete posted:

The first guy in the Superman intro is way too excited about seeing a bird.

Some people just really like birds. :colbert:

(They were actually probably disappointed when it turned out to just be a boring old superman.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Watching Black Panther again and that final fight between T'chala & Killmonger is barely watchable. At this point MCU's formula for end fights are more or less the same, but it's still disappointing that visually it's difficult to track where people are and to believe they occupy a real physical space (because they aren't due to them being completely CGI).

Another IIMM is MCU killing off all its villains. Killmonger was probably MCU's second-best villain (next to Thanos) due to having a goal that is somewhat understandable (despite being incredibly flawed in execution).

It will be interesting to see what they do with Magneto.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

It will be interesting to see what they do with Magneto.

Wait they're in the same universe? how did iron man not just immediately die the first moment he flew within range of magneto?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If you’re unhappy with the MCU, don’t worry. Since embracing the woke liberalism currently infecting Hollywood the MCU has drastically fallen in profitability and popularity and will soon be tossed aside like Visions corpse

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
MCU can't be that woke as they kept Letitia Wright as Shuri even after she revealed herself as an anti-vaxxer.

We'll see how things shake out with Jonathan Majors.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I know it's just the trailer but the first one for Elemental with the bus ride looked really cool.

The new one, where it shows the fire girl trying to learn to fill her dad's shoes and run his shop, and dating a water boy her daddy hates, and fire dad also makes him eat hot food to prove he is worth dating his daughter, and water boy asking fire girl why someone else gets to choose her future for her....okay Pixar, we've seen this poo poo before. Why does every movie about a dude and girl have to devolve to the same tropes?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

I know it's just the trailer but the first one for Elemental with the bus ride looked really cool.

The new one, where it shows the fire girl trying to learn to fill her dad's shoes and run his shop, and dating a water boy her daddy hates, and fire dad also makes him eat hot food to prove he is worth dating his daughter, and water boy asking fire girl why someone else gets to choose her future for her....okay Pixar, we've seen this poo poo before. Why does every movie about a dude and girl have to devolve to the same tropes?

It's a kids movie. It can't get too steamy.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!
I want to see a Pixar movie where it's the rebellious daughter who learns a lesson and the traditional, controlling father is proved right. Woke Pixar never lets Conservative Dad win.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

credburn posted:

I want to see a Pixar movie where it's the rebellious daughter who learns a lesson and the traditional, controlling father is proved right. Woke Pixar never lets Conservative Dad win.

Disney technically owns Fox now so just reboot King of the Hill.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Android Apocalypse posted:

Disney technically owns Fox now so just reboot King of the Hill.

They already are.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captain Monkey posted:

Wait they're in the same universe? how did iron man not just immediately die the first moment he flew within range of magneto?

Yes, why wouldn't they be? And because comic magic

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

he made a special suit out of wood

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Two households, both alike in dignity, In fair Verona, where we lay our scene

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

credburn posted:

Swap dad for mom and Brave is a bit of this.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

credburn posted:

The one good thing I have to say about Frozen is that it showed the sister's whirlwind affair with the prince dude was stupid and that she was being used.

More movies need to show that love at first sight is just lust and you shouldn't try to reorganise your life around some guy you've only known for two days.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The one good thing I have to say about Frozen is that it showed the sister's whirlwind affair with the prince dude was stupid and that she was being used.

More movies need to show that love at first sight is just lust and you shouldn't try to reorganise your life around some guy you've only known for two days.

Except she does fall in love with a guy she's known for 2 days at the end, but it's okay because he smells bad and their kinks align.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

All relationships are meeting someone and falling in love. Talking about the length of time is semantics. Humans used to live hundred of years and you probably had them talking about a whirlwind romance love at first sight thing of “only” 3 years.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm watching Re/Member, a Japanese horror movie on Netflix, but the tone is so bizarre. It's about high school students that are getting brutally slaughtered every night in a timeloop, and starts out as terrifying as that premise would imply. But then it cuts to them hanging out during the day and it's all cheery and happy like it's some sort of coming-of-age teen drama, best friends forever woo, as if they aren't experiencing the greatest trauma of their lives nightly. It's absolutely jarring. Even some of the scenes when they're being hunted is has upbeat rock music and the the next scene is shot like actual j-horror with someone getting their neck snapped and it's like, what is the mood that this movie is trying to convey here?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I still think the Hans thing was a loving copout. There was no reason he couldn't have kissed her and it not worked because they had puppy love, not real love. But nope, Disney has been on a twist villain thing for a while, now it's moved to "no clear villain" which is somehow just as boring. The ice dude was boring as hell for Anna. Elsa is the one with ice poo poo, the dude loves ice poo poo.

Give me loving Scar and Frollo villains, ones you hate but they are loving good at it!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Cowslips Warren posted:

I still think the Hans thing was a loving copout. There was no reason he couldn't have kissed her and it not worked because they had puppy love, not real love. But nope, Disney has been on a twist villain thing for a while, now it's moved to "no clear villain" which is somehow just as boring. The ice dude was boring as hell for Anna. Elsa is the one with ice poo poo, the dude loves ice poo poo.

Give me loving Scar and Frollo villains, ones you hate but they are loving good at it!
More proof for the theorem that the better the villain's song, the better the villain.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zero_Grade posted:

More proof for the theorem that the better the villain's song, the better the villain.

I will stan all day and night for Scar as a villain simply because his song has a fantastic zeugma: "Our teeth and ambition are bared...Be prepared!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

The last time they fought he made his armor out of carbon nanotubes.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

oldpainless posted:

Humans used to live hundred of years and you probably had them talking about a whirlwind romance love at first sight thing of “only” 3 years.

???

More like oldageless.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

oldpainless posted:

All relationships are meeting someone and falling in love. Talking about the length of time is semantics. Humans used to live hundred of years and you probably had them talking about a whirlwind romance love at first sight thing of “only” 3 years.

High-fructose corn syrup and 5G have utterly ruined us

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Noah lived to be a 950 because he wasn't on social media and never ate rear end

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Noah lived to be a 950 because he wasn't on social media and never ate rear end

If he ate the asses on the ark then we would not have asses today, qed.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The last time they fought he made his armor out of carbon nanotubes.

https://physicsworld.com/a/carbon-nanotubes-go-magnetic/

?????

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Breetai posted:

???

More like oldageless.
More like old

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

oldpainless posted:

If you’re unhappy with the MCU, don’t worry. Since embracing the woke liberalism currently infecting Hollywood the MCU has drastically fallen in profitability and popularity and will soon be tossed aside like Visions corpse

more like old ron desantless

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Magneto's powers are also not restricted to ferrous metals. Or metals at all.

Comics!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Comics!

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Comics!

Everything is magnetic in a strong enough field

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm pretty sure there's an area of the brain where magnets can make you super religious, or something like that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Beachcomber posted:

I'm pretty sure there's an area of the brain where magnets can make you super religious, or something like that.

ICP tried to warn us!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's the same part of the brain that attracts lead.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Ah, the Lowtax Cortex.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Marcade posted:

Ah, the Lowtax Cortex.

Definitely the worst Crash Bandicoot level.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Apparently they made a thing called The God Helmet.

Also apparently they can reduce people's belief in God and this also makes them hate immigrants less.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Beachcomber posted:

Apparently they made a thing called The God Helmet.

Also apparently they can reduce people's belief in God and this also makes them hate immigrants less.

quote:

Persinger reports that many subjects have reported "mystical experiences and altered states"[4] while wearing the God Helmet. The foundations of his theory have been criticized in the scientific press.[5] Anecdotal reports by journalists,[6] academics[7][8] and documentarists[9] have been mixed and several effects reported by Persinger have not yet been independently replicated. One attempt at replication published in the scientific literature reported a failure to reproduce Persinger's effects and the authors proposed that the suggestibility of participants, improper blinding of participants or idiosyncratic methodology could explain Persinger's results.[10] Persinger argues that the replication was technically flawed,[8][11] but the researchers have stood by their replication.[12] Only one group[13] has published a direct replication of one God Helmet experiment.[14] Other groups have reported no effects at all[15] or have generated similar experiences by using sham helmets,[16] or helmets that are not turned on,[17][18] and have concluded that personality differences in the participants explain these unusual experiences.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Aphrodite posted:

Comics!

Physics. A lot of materials are either paramagnetic or diamagnetic; they have no intrinsic magnetic field but if you apply a field they're either weakly attracted or repelled. Water is diamagnetic, which is why you can do things like levitate frogs with strong enough fields.

Back to the Matrix. It always bugged me that people in the Matrix have to dial out to separate cleanly or they die. I understand they did this for plot purposes, but it still bugs the hell out of me. It's a simulation, you're just feeding sense data to the brain, but if you stop feeding that data in one way people are corpsed and if you stop feeding that data another way, they're fine? Makes no sense. On one hand the movie could be trying to suggest that there's some vital spirit or essence or soul that *literally departs the body* and travels into this other *physical place* called the Matrix and if you sever the connection you leave the soul trapped in the machine so the body dies, but the film doesn't engage with this notion in any other way than "The body cannot live without the *mind*." The mind is just an emergent property of the brain, it hasn't gone anywhere, it's still in the freaking body. It's just as if if you turned off the power switch on a machine, the machine turns off, but if you unplug it, it explodes.