Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Dawgstar posted:

Was Perlmutter ever on the Disney board himself?

No. He was offered one after the merger, but declined because he didn't want to do public events and is notoriously reclusive. He contributes a ton of money to different NYU departments and charities, but hires people to attend the events honoring him in his place.

He's a strange dude.

Edit: I forgot, it also recently came out that he was basically the stealth Secretary of Veteran Affairs during the Trump administration because Trump wanted to give him a job, but he didn't want to be in public, resign from his current job, or have a confirmation hearing. So, Trump just unofficially asked him what to do in secret and had the Secretary of Veteran Affairs take orders from Perlmutter and two other guys.

quote:

In August 2018 non-profit news organization ProPublica reported that Trump had informally authorized three members of his Mar-a-Lago club to direct policy at the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and issue instructions to Secretary of Veterans Affairs Peter O'Rourke. Perlmutter was named among the three, collectively known as the Mar-a-Lago Crowd

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This whole thing was apparently because Perlmutter was trying to get his own guy put on the board to try and oust Iger, who finally had enough of Ike's bullshit and canned him. Ironically him not being on the board probably made that process easier.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Mr Perlmutter, known as Ike

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Karan Soni is an underappreciated treasure. Ike is an over appreciated (financially, at least) bastard.
Dopinder is just a delight.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Pictures have come out of Harrison Ford on the New World Order set and he is sans mustache.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh my God we have a Reverse Superman situation here.

$5 says he didn't want to grow the Stache so they cgi it and then he does the promo circuit with a glorious soup strainer.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

$5 says he didn't want to grow the Stache so they cgi it and then he does the promo circuit with a glorious soup strainer.

They couldn't decide what kind of mustache so they kicked it down the road.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
he only grows the mustache while in red hulk form

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

he only grows the mustache while in red hulk form

We’ll get a Professor Hulk style mid-credits scene where he starts to rage out but only the mustache pops into existence and he’ll give a trademark Harrison grunt in response.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Nah. He just does 1923 season 2 with one instead

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

I think the New Mutants cast deserve another shot too, especially ATJ as Magik.

Not only were they in the movie, they were so bad I'm beginning to suspect that they intentionally tried to sabotage the movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Lee Sung Jin is writing Thunderbolts, and he's worked with Yeun before on Tuca & Bertie and Beef.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I don't think this release exonerates Majors the way this attorney thinks it does... Yeesh.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1641455331229454336?t=2UVtVrX7MYsNGh4LNJ4_hg&s=19

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah not gonna assume he’s guilty or whatever, but you couldn’t make up a more convincing script for an abuse victim if you tried, Christ. It’s like a play by play of every single warning sign.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I don't think this release exonerates Majors the way this attorney thinks it does... Yeesh.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1641455331229454336?t=2UVtVrX7MYsNGh4LNJ4_hg&s=19

Yeah, "I told them it was my fault" is...woof.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Like in a literal "reasonable doubt" sense to get her client out of prison time? Sure, maybe it helps in court. But yeah, that 100% reads as an abuse victim and torpedoes any credibility he has as being truly innocent. I don't know why you would make those public

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gaz-L posted:

I don't know why you would make those public

Because he’s the kind of abusive narcissist who honestly believes “she was asking for it” completely absolves him.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
It was after reading Jonathan Major's brief essay in Variety on The Dark Knight that I started to wonder if perhaps not all was right with him.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/jonathan-majors-the-dark-knight-best-films-1235464101/

quote:

Did you notice how the eyes of both Christian Bale’s Batman and Ledger’s Joker are painted similarly, blackened by what looks like the love child of oil and charcoal, as if these two men, as dissimilar as they may appear, have seen the same things and perhaps see them the same way? This moral theme and argument prevail throughout the picture. What is right and what is wrong? My 18-year-old self sat in the cinema long after the credits rolled, gobsmacked by a beauty and complexity of humanity hitherto unwitnessed in cinema and dare I say in my own existence.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I dunno, sounds like typical cinema discusso stuff

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

To be fair, that is an extremely 18-year-old way to think about that movie, lol

gently caress him, though

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fangz posted:

I dunno, sounds like typical cinema discusso stuff

Rental Sting posted:

I started to wonder if perhaps not all was right with him.

Man, remember when The Dark Knight was the greatest film ever and the height of all art ever made? poo poo was a trip.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
the dark knight is just the boondock saints for 25-34 year olds

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Dark Knight is still a really good movie but as time goes on it becomes clearer and clearer that Ledger was the main reason for it and his performance is amazing and elevates the entire thing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's some good performances but I don't like the script.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It still holds up. It’s especially refreshing to rewatch even now that the MCU has sucked all the oxygen out of everything.

Begins is still the best though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean as I get older I just recognize that there’s just always some nerdy film that if you’re the right age and type when it comes out you lose your mind over it and become obsessed forever. Right now someone is developing a lifelong obsession with Cocaine Bear or something.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk the dark knight is a bit bigger than just something some nerdy kids got into. It was kind of a big deal. Even if people want to look back at it with disdain

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

When did the whole “Batman doesn’t kill” thing start? Has it always been in the comics and Begins just picked it up or did Begins really hammer it home as Bat-ethos and make it hard canon for everyone going forward?

I think about Batman 1989 and Returns and how Keaton Bats either directly murked dudes (like the guy he hands a grenade to in Returns which is actually played as a joke) or at least allowed them to die like the Joker and Max.

My problem with Batman killing dudes post-Nolan isn’t that Batfleck was shooting missiles at dudes, it’s that he was shooting missiles at dudes while having an in-universe rogue’s gallery still alive in Arkham (Leto Joker and the Suicide Squad, etc.) which meant either a) Superman existing elevated his methods to allow killing which felt unearned in the story they told or b) he was just really bad at killing the people he should have been killing.

I don’t necessarily think Batman should be the Punisher but I kinda don’t equate killing supervillains who murder thousands with becoming a supervillain. Marvel’s MCU dudes kill all the time and maintain Herohood.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

I'm killing people right now, for example.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CelticPredator posted:

Idk the dark knight is a bit bigger than just something some nerdy kids got into. It was kind of a big deal. Even if people want to look back at it with disdain

Well I was exaggerating with the Cocaine Bear thing obviously. But yeah, The Dark Knight was a good film for its time and perhaps more importantly a cultural hit. And I just think when you look back across generations at Star Wars and The Matrix and other big cultural hit nerd movies there's just a certain kind of fan that they seem to resonate with that turns "that was great" into "that was the greatest thing ever made and X is the greatest filmmaker of all time."

And I mean it probably happens all the time to smaller degrees. There's the Snyder/Man of Steel thing. Or that guy Jordan Peele scolded on twitter because he thought Peele was the single greatest horror director of all time. Or the various histeria over Joker. People are gonna connect with art and lose perspective. But the big cultural nerd hits of a generation seem to leave a mark.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

I'm killing people right now, for example.

Hell yeah

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

STAC Goat posted:

I mean as I get older I just recognize that there’s just always some nerdy film that if you’re the right age and type when it comes out you lose your mind over it and become obsessed forever. Right now someone is developing a lifelong obsession with Cocaine Bear or something.

it’s dune atm I’d bet

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

When did the whole “Batman doesn’t kill” thing start? Has it always been in the comics and Begins just picked it up or did Begins really hammer it home as Bat-ethos and make it hard canon for everyone going forward?

I think about Batman 1989 and Returns and how Keaton Bats either directly murked dudes (like the guy he hands a grenade to in Returns which is actually played as a joke) or at least allowed them to die like the Joker and Max.

My problem with Batman killing dudes post-Nolan isn’t that Batfleck was shooting missiles at dudes, it’s that he was shooting missiles at dudes while having an in-universe rogue’s gallery still alive in Arkham (Leto Joker and the Suicide Squad, etc.) which meant either a) Superman existing elevated his methods to allow killing which felt unearned in the story they told or b) he was just really bad at killing the people he should have been killing.

I don’t necessarily think Batman should be the Punisher but I kinda don’t equate killing supervillains who murder thousands with becoming a supervillain. Marvel’s MCU dudes kill all the time and maintain Herohood.

1940 it's on the page as a rule of his. He's had it a long time, Burton just didn't care about the comic a whole lot.

He'd still occasionally kill people indirectly for a few years until they put a hard stop though.

(Just stuff I found online once upon a time, I'm not a Batman history expert.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 31, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Not killing seems like a solid storytelling handicap when all your villains are just dudes in costumes and face paint.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its a natural thematic line to draw. Its what keeps him from becoming the Punisher, which is a story I have no real interest in much like I have no real interest in Death Wish or any of the other "mad as hell angry man uses some unfair thing to justify being a serial killer" story. And on Batman's best day he's already kind of 90% of the way there. He's pretty much a deranged psycho. So whether its "Batman doesn't kill" or the Bat Family or a love interest appealing to his humanity and trying to pull him back from the brink or Superman and Wonder Woman serving as foils with more hopeful world views... I think there's a consistent theme that Batman has to draw a line short of "I should just execute the Joker for the greater good" or else he's just that guy.

Obviously that's not a theme every version of him has used nor has every version of his been that violent or crazy. But I think it thematically is present in much of them. Even if Burton didn't have much concern for Batman killing people he still had a lot of stuff about him being on the edge of really losing it and having love interests to kind of try and keep him human. Hell, Alfred his basically the anchor for his humanity.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 31, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sandwolf posted:

it’s dune atm I’d bet

I think it'll depend on if Villeneuve sticks the landing on the second one later this year.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Dark Knight is Nolan's filmmaking and Batman as a franchise actually meshing together quite effectively, compared to Begins which they just kinda moosh sloppily against each other, or Rises where they bounce off each other with a cacophonous "PTANG!"

still only like the fourth best batman movie though

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Batman just doesn’t work as a killer, he becomes the Punisher. Why be a martial expert ninja when you can just lob a grenade in the room. Even leaving aside the philosophical reasons, for sheer practical storytelling there’s no reason not to literally be Punisher (but rich) if he kills.

But getting back to philosophical reasons, this debate was already had in universe between red batman and punisher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWh6A6ZIpfo

For separate but overlapping reasons, and sadly I seem to be in a minority, Batman shouldn’t wear armour beyond basic fire protection. I hate that movies and games keep trying to turn him into goth Iron Man.

I also hate that most films treat the cape like an annoyance, always flung back out of the way rather than having him wrap himself in it like a kid in an adult-size bath towel.

All I want is a spandex-clad ninja Batman, who doesn’t kill, and who embraces the cape as a fashion statement. One movie, just one.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I still love The Dark Knight. It moves so fast that during the first viewing it was easy to overlook all of the plot holes/inconsistencies and the fact that many of the cool sounding, highly quotable lines are sort of fatuous. These issues becoming glaring after you watch the movie several times, but I prefer to focus on the positive. TDK has some of the best action sequences of any movie made in the aughts and Ledger's performance is still the best of any Batman film. The film is also an interesting artifact because most of the comic book cinema that followed went in an entirely different direction.

Rental Sting fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Everyone remembers Ledger but Gary Oldman is also there acting circles around everybody else.