Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There’s no excuse to be operating only swipe card readers now, last time I was in the US it was chip-and-sign and that was 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thanks Ants posted:

There’s no excuse to be operating only swipe card readers now, last time I was in the US it was chip-and-sign and that was 2015.

If it's not regulated to be required and it's cheaper to not upgrade equipment, then you aren't going to get 100% deployment.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

KillHour posted:

Does your card still have the magnetic strip on it? If so - why?

It sure looks like it does but I have no idea why.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KillHour posted:

Does your card still have the magnetic strip on it? If so - why?

Most EU credit cards do still keep it for use in traveling outside developed countries. Every card I have (oldest from 2019, newest from 2023) is still chip + mag stripe.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

SlowBloke posted:

Most EU credit cards do still keep it for use in traveling outside developed countries. Every card I have (oldest from 2019, newest from 2023) is still chip + mag stripe.

Yeah but in my case my bank stopped supporting that entirely a couple years ago so I can't use the mag strip anymore, but it's still there for some reason. I agree that many banks still do support it, but mine doesn't.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TheFluff posted:

Yeah but in my case my bank stopped supporting that entirely a couple years ago so I can't use the mag strip anymore, but it's still there for some reason. I agree that many banks still do support it, but mine doesn't.

I think Mastercard/VISA provides the card specs and, to avoid UX issues, they leave it there to be enabled/disabled by customer banks. Since even Russia had chip+pin and contactless when I visited a few years ago, it's a reasonable idea to keep it disabled unless explicitly requested by the client.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Thanks Ants posted:

I got a chip card in 2019 and it's still not contactless

Granted I bank with a local credit union but still

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I hate it when I'm in america and the server at a restaurant wants to take my credit card and walk away with it. It's insane.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I hate it when I'm in america.

Enough said

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I hate it when I'm in america and the server at a restaurant wants to take my credit card and walk away with it. It's insane.

You expect me to press buttons on a credit card machine like some kind of worker?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's near every restaurant in the country with table service. Since Americans are completely out of their minds - as you note - many would consider it unacceptably gauche to run the bill at the table. The only other option is to pay at the counter, but part of the point of renting a servant to bring you food is so you don't have to get up.

Also the retail area at my work is still swipe only. No contactless, no chip. So everybody gotta keep that mag stripe to patronize my dear employer.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

A Bag of Milk posted:

That's near every restaurant in the country with table service. Since Americans are completely out of their minds - as you note - many would consider it unacceptably gauche to run the bill at the table. The only other option is to pay at the counter, but part of the point of renting a servant to bring you food is so you don't have to get u
p.

Also the retail area at my work is still swipe only. No contactless, no chip. So everybody gotta keep that mag stripe to patronize my dear employer.

ugh it's insane

Here you ask for "the machine" and the server brings you a pinpad/EFTPOS machine, and it's all done quickly and securely at the table. There is literally no other way to pay, you don't even bring bills to front desks anymore. Swipe is flatout disabled, most new-ish machines everywhere don't even have a mag stripe reader, they're chip/tap only.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

adnam posted:

Let me know if this is the wrong thread for this. But I recently moved off Lastpass to 1password (yes I know late), and after having my optometrist request my social security number, had a bit of a paranoid episode and ended up freezing all 3 major credit bureaus, lexis/nexis, NCTUE and ChexSystems databases.

Was this a bit mad, or do you guys routinely do this sort of identity protection?

Keep stuff frozen until you need to apply. At least one of the bureaus lets you do a temporary unfreeze if you do need to apply for something.

I hope you told your optometrist 'no'.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It's becoming more common in casual dining to have a machine at each table. They even try to monetize them with stupid mobile games.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Ynglaur posted:

It's becoming more common in casual dining to have a machine at each table. They even try to monetize them with stupid mobile games.

I think I've seen 1 place that has this set up (here in the PNW of the US). Everywhere else around here you still pretty much have to either give them your card or pay on the way out the door up front.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me honestly but I guess for some it is.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Yeah why wouldn't you want to stick your credit card in a knockoff android device that hasn't been patched in 4 years?

Honestly I don't get it in the US, someone is absorbing the cost of all the credit card fraud. I guess the card companies are making so much loving money on transaction fees and interest they don't give a poo poo? I suppose if they cracked down, it's not like they're going to lower costs to consumers or business, it would just be more profit for VISA so I don't give a poo poo either.

It does get really frustrating with the way backend processors hold account tokens (or whatever the hell) now instead of using the card number. Someone got my parent's card attached to their xbox live account, and every time visa cancels and sends them a new card, the instant it's activated the account gets re-linked to xbox live and fraudulent charges show up again. Somehow visa claims it's simply impossible for them to 'disconnect' it. They can't get a hold of anyone at xbox because they would have no idea what account it's associated with. After 3 cards they're probably just going to cancel the card for good and get a new one from a different bank.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I think I've seen 1 place that has this set up (here in the PNW of the US). Everywhere else around here you still pretty much have to either give them your card or pay on the way out the door up front.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me honestly but I guess for some it is.

I’m not seeing them permanently at each table much, but it’s becoming very common around me to have them bring a wireless terminal to the table for processing.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Rescue Toaster posted:

Yeah why wouldn't you want to stick your credit card in a knockoff android device that hasn't been patched in 4 years?
Yeah, they're pretty obnoxious.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

rafikki posted:

I’m not seeing them permanently at each table much, but it’s becoming very common around me to have them bring a wireless terminal to the table for processing.

This is still pretty much unheard of as far as I can tell where I'm at too. But I'm just one person and its not like I've visited every restaurant in the area.

I can say that there are still some mom n' pops and gas stations that will do a magstrip swipe even though they're not supposed to.

I know the chips are supposed to be more secure and all but they still are slower to use and surprisingly janky to get them to read often times. Especially at gas stations. Its better than it was when they were first introduced. They really sucked then.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Rescue Toaster posted:

Honestly I don't get it in the US, someone is absorbing the cost of all the credit card fraud. I guess the card companies are making so much loving money on transaction fees and interest they don't give a poo poo? I suppose if they cracked down, it's not like they're going to lower costs to consumers or business, it would just be more profit for VISA so I don't give a poo poo either.

It does get really frustrating with the way backend processors hold account tokens (or whatever the hell) now instead of using the card number. Someone got my parent's card attached to their xbox live account, and every time visa cancels and sends them a new card, the instant it's activated the account gets re-linked to xbox live and fraudulent charges show up again. Somehow visa claims it's simply impossible for them to 'disconnect' it. They can't get a hold of anyone at xbox because they would have no idea what account it's associated with. After 3 cards they're probably just going to cancel the card for good and get a new one from a different bank.

My bank covers me up to like $250k and asks for an approval on charges over a certain threshold so I don’t even care. I’ve had my card cancelled a bunch over it getting skimmed at Starbucks and somehow people made alibaba and Walmart charges on it but the money is refunded immediately so yea take my card and go do whatever with it. I don’t care

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

This is still pretty much unheard of as far as I can tell where I'm at too. But I'm just one person and its not like I've visited every restaurant in the area.
I've only seen them in a few major chains, all either owned or formerly owned by Darden. Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Longhorn, etc. It's nice when you have a group because you can either split the bill evenly or split by item entirely on your own, without wasting your server's time.

Cracker Barrel has a system I really liked the one time I've used it where there's a QR code and URL on the receipt that you can load on your phone and pay directly from your own device.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I like how things were in Disney and Universal. QR code brings you to the menu and you order and pay right on the spot and your food is brought out.

Though, obviously, that's also subject to someone putting a malicious QR code out and associating it with a fraudulent site to take fake orders and harvest card data.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

When I was at disneyland it was all in app. Order, schedule a pickup time, pay.

Easy to just pick a place off the map too

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

rafikki posted:

This has been the standard in Canada for probably ten years or more.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Probably a dumb question but how is a magstrip so much less secure than chip or contactless? What's keeping someone from building a spoof reader like on the front of a gas pump and just walking through a crowd rubbing it up against people's butts and scanning all the chip cards in their wallets?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Takes No Damage posted:

Probably a dumb question but how is a magstrip so much less secure than chip or contactless? What's keeping someone from building a spoof reader like on the front of a gas pump and just walking through a crowd rubbing it up against people's butts and scanning all the chip cards in their wallets?

one time password vs stealing someone’s password

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

the chip and contactless payments exchange unique transaction codes, using keys from the vendor and your card to encrypt

magstripe isnt any different than automated number entry

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

As I understand it the chip contains some secret data (think like private keys for encryption) which is supposed to be impossible to copy or extract. When you insert or tap your card the secret is used internally on the chip to digitally sign the transaction so the bank knows it's real. The secret never leaves the chip, only the signature.

A magstripe just stores a small amount of unencrypted data - like the card number, expiry date, and cardholder name. It's all the stuff written on the card (minus the CVV code) but in a format a computer can easily read. It's just so that you don't have to enter that stuff into the machine by hand.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

acetcx posted:

As I understand it the chip contains some secret data (think like private keys for encryption) which is supposed to be impossible to copy or extract. When you insert or tap your card the secret is used internally on the chip to digitally sign the transaction so the bank knows it's real. The secret never leaves the chip, only the signature.

A magstripe just stores a small amount of unencrypted data - like the card number, expiry date, and cardholder name. It's all the stuff written on the card (minus the CVV code) but in a format a computer can easily read. It's just so that you don't have to enter that stuff into the machine by hand.

A long time ago I worked in retail and we had to staff an outside stand that didn't have an electronic credit card reader, so we used the old-old fashioned system: a press that copies the raised text from the card onto carbon paper.

A few customers had cards where the text wasn't raised, and this was only found out when they had left because it was busy and we weren't paying attention. There our only choice to do it right was to copy the details down manually.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I still remember the sound of those things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfxD1ohT2N0

Virtually never see a manual card imprinter anymore. Last time I remember one was used for me was back in the early 90's. My current card doesn't have the raised letters so it wouldn't work on mine. Though I think they can just write the numbers and stuff on the slip if they had to.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KillHour posted:

You expect me to press buttons on a credit card machine like some kind of worker?

lol if your meal fits under the contactless limit, just lol

(we should have a meal like that again, KillHour)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Ah so pretty much PKI? That makes sense. Probably should have been doing it that way from the start but :capitalism:

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I still remember the sound of those things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfxD1ohT2N0

Virtually never see a manual card imprinter anymore. Last time I remember one was used for me was back in the early 90's. My current card doesn't have the raised letters so it wouldn't work on mine. Though I think they can just write the numbers and stuff on the slip if they had to.

Last time I saw one in the wild was mid 2010's in a taxi.
e:
Bonus points if the machine was broken so they just lay your card under the carbon paper and rubbed a pen flat across it to make the imprint.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The technology to run PKI on something that was as thin as a credit card didn't exist in 1970

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks Ants posted:

The technology to run PKI on something that was as thin as a credit card didn't exist in 1970

that's what they want you to believe...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

lol if your meal fits under the contactless limit, just lol

(we should have a meal like that again, KillHour)

We absolutely should. Maybe a weekend in May? Will give me an excuse to drive up.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ynglaur posted:

Red Robin deployed POS terminals on each table with cameras and microphones a little while before covid. They're custom units, they don't need to have cameras and microphones, and yet they do - which makes me inclined to think they're being used for consumer surveillance.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Kesper North posted:

Red Robin deployed POS terminals on each table with cameras and microphones a little while before covid. They're custom units, they don't need to have cameras and microphones, and yet they do - which makes me inclined to think they're being used for consumer surveillance.

It's so they can take your picture to prove you actually intentionally paid $10 to rent Angry Birds on your restaurant POS tablet for half an hour.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

LOL of course they'd do the right thing for the wrong reason.

Every time I'm in the US outside of major metropolis' I start raging at all the random bullshit you guys are subjected to.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Re: credit card chat

I have the opportunity to buy an ATM for cheap. Like $200 cheap. I want to do it and document the reverse engineering and subsequent creation of a skimming device to present at some talks later on this year. 10-12 years ago I was suuuuuper into carding (academically of course, I’ve always been whitehat) and would love to dip a toe back in now that I’ve been into 3D printing and CNC milling for a few years.

Back then the MCR206 was the hotness for reader/writers and skimmers were only just starting to implement SIM cards to send data. Wonder how things have changed in 10 years

App13 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Thanks Ants posted:

Public-key cryptography itself didn't exist in 1970.