Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

Those games are all just Crimson Land clones anyway.

That's an insult to Crimsonland.
Crimsonland had actual gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Although the real secret to enemies is to always try to stay diagonal to them and wait until they come to you. :ssh:

And also sometimes the enemies try to do the same and you just stand there for 10 seconds in some awkward standoff until one side gives up. But yeah, I thought the combat was fun and fine for what it was going for and ultimately judicious use of quicksaving will get you through any fight, which I was happy to do with some of the bosses.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

HopperUK posted:

This thread is a bit grouchy today.

I'm gonna buy Dredge I think! Looks fun as hell. I like the combination of the horrific and mundane.

Loved the demo, it was really dense with content where I could just sail to some random cove and find a unique item or event or whatever. From what I've seen in reviews they do a good job keeping that up over the entire game, so I'm hyped.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
EDIT this isn't the resident evil thread :downs: But now I'm wondering if there are any games where setting people on fire, or tricking them into setting themselves on fire, does not result in them surviving to throw more molotovs at you.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 31, 2023

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

credburn posted:

Anyone play Kenshi?

It's like if you wanted to play Fallout 1 but in the Mount and Blade engine and everything was 100x jankier and the dialogue is completely useless and written by what I guess are edgy 13 year-olds from 2003... it's a pretty rad game. I'm only 14 hours in, which is to say I've gotten to the part where I have like a little house and some buds. A legless bandit approached us as we were mining and he single-handedly mauled us. He stole our food, and as he crawled away my main character bled to death from head trauma.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/233860/Kenshi/

I love this janky rear end game.

Also: man, it ran like a fuckin hog to the point I didn't think it was playable. Then I downloaded this small mod some cocky fella made. Bam, the game looks fuckin twice as good and runs ten times better wtf

Kenshi owns. One of those games like Rimworld that I will always go back to.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Kenshi rules. One moment you get stopped by a gate guard who tries to extort you for money by falsely accusing you of bringing in contraband. Another time you pull the "HEY WHATS THAT BEHIND YOU" to hide your contraband. Then say "Oh, I saw an ugly person", to which the guard will get angry and say "That is my sister, you take that back!"

Then you tell him to gently caress off and get attacked.

KNR
May 3, 2009
Not to imply that Grimrock combat is really good or anything, but staying at a diagonal in a 2x2 room is really just the new enemy tutorial encounter. Any actual fight is going to be against multiple enemies and about target prioritization and disables.

Also using this opportunity to plug this guy's mods again: https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1712363347 . They are extremely well made, and could easily have been sold as sequels/expansion packs in a different era (though with less new assets). Despite what he says, I'd recommend starting with the guardians. Lost city is fine for a mod but the other two are what I'm really recommending.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I was really into the concept of Grimrock but the combat landed in a weird spot, felt almost like a rhythm game. I really wanted to hit pause and queue up some actions or barring that, not be restricted to tile movement. I ended up going back to Avernum and Ultima Underworld, their combat is also jank for a dungeon crawler but more enjoyable imo.

Wish there were more games in that genre. Maybe if Grimrock had had more success.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Fruits of the sea posted:

Wish there were more games in that genre. Maybe if Grimrock had had more success.

yeah, it never took off again and usually gets combined with "rogue like" nowadays which is just not the same.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The first one was quite successful, selling more than 600k over the first year, almost a million in two years, but it was released before Steam Greenlight and the indie game explosion. The second was against much tougher competition and I guess a lot people who bought the original never beat it and maybe had enough of that genre.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 31, 2023

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

I was really into the concept of Grimrock but the combat landed in a weird spot, felt almost like a rhythm game. I really wanted to hit pause and queue up some actions or barring that, not be restricted to tile movement. I ended up going back to Avernum and Ultima Underworld, their combat is also jank for a dungeon crawler but more enjoyable imo.

While it's not quite the same thing, there's always Potato Flowers in Full Bloom.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's a new Wizardry game from Japan that's still in Early Access. It's gonna get a web-based editor at some point.

There's also the Etrian Odyssey HD remaster trilogy coming out soon.

Both these options are kinda crazy pricy, though, but it is what it is.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I enjoy Etrian Odyssey to a point, but I'd enjoy the games a lot more if they were, say, half as long as they typically are.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just want someone to do the Wizardry 8's fantastic feature of giving your custom made characters actual character via lots and lots of situation appropriate voice acting.

It's such a cool feature that literally nobody has done ever since.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

While it's not quite the same thing, there's always Potato Flowers in Full Bloom.

Thanks, this looks neat. Looks like its missing the environmental storytelling present in some other crawlers but otherwise its exactly what I want.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Section Z posted:

EDIT this isn't the resident evil thread :downs: But now I'm wondering if there are any games where setting people on fire, or tricking them into setting themselves on fire, does not result in them surviving to throw more molotovs at you.

Hitman, the answer is always Hitman! Setting somebody on fire is ALWAYS a guaranteed kill (this includes yourself if you forget and drop a molotov cocktail that you're holding :sweatdrop:)

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone planning on getting The Last of Us on PC? Heard the launch was very crap but they've released a patch for it already. I'm wondering how long I'll have to wait until they patch the thing up properly.

I was actually looking at giving in and getting a PS5, spent a week or so keeping an eye on eBay in fact, just to play this game... and I had no idea it was coming to PC at all until yesterday when a news story about how terribly the launch has gone hit my feed lol.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I haven't followed closely other than, "Why would you give the project to the company known for releasing bad PC ports?" is apparently the scenario, so I'm waiting at least a month / until the Recent Reviews tend to balance out

But like most other AAA heralded for their story above all else, I'll probably wishlist it until it's half off, buy it, and then forget about it like I did with God of War :v:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
TLOU has been getting slammed by everyone including professional reviewers who would probably very happily shill for anything even remotely playable, so I don't feel like one patch is really going to do the job. I think this is the kind of port that's best to forget about for a long while and/or until you start seeing nothing except universal praise.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

HopperUK posted:

This thread is a bit grouchy today.

I'm gonna buy Dredge I think! Looks fun as hell. I like the combination of the horrific and mundane.

It's extremely good. Plays fantastic on a controller or God's perfect console, the Steam Deck. I'm not too far into it, but have a few upgrades already, found a few that are uhh... interesting, to say the least, the layers of horror are starting to unfold. Very interesting.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/dancow/status/1641097731157499905

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Where does the game take place? Maybe it's just insanely humid :v:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Sab669 posted:

Where does the game take place? Maybe it's just insanely humid :v:

The conversation is making Ellie really anxious.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

Hitman, the answer is always Hitman! Setting somebody on fire is ALWAYS a guaranteed kill (this includes yourself if you forget and drop a molotov cocktail that you're holding :sweatdrop:)

I was so very bad at hitman but also loved the hell out the fact all murders are true to save on multiple runs. "Says here you killed him via drowning, poison, electrocution, and an explosion... Checks out."

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Given the Grimrock talk I wanna plug Grimrock-like Vaporum: Lockdown (and the first Vaporum, but Lockdown is better)

If you can stomach old old games there's also the Dungeon Master series which Grimrock takes a lot of inspiration from!

ed: Oh yeah others I know of that are similar-but-with-different-vibes are the Geister series (Cyberpunk Mechs) and The Quest (real-time tile movement Arena/Daggerfall-like)

These are all more or less real time tile movement games though so if that was frustrating these may not be your bag. There's a ton of turn-based titles in the genre that you may or may not like more.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 31, 2023

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

OgNar posted:

Tainted Grail out today.
It is in early access as games are these days, supposedly made by 1 guy, or was, not sure if still.
I took the plunge and snagged it.
It is very much a non Bethesda Elder Scrolls game.
Combat feels fine, haven't really tried magic much though yet.
Spells are equipable, so its not like you get a ton at hand to use, though you can dual hand 2 at a time.

There is a wheel, but thats just to access your loadouts or 3 slotted consumables.
I would say that if you like Skyrim then its probably enjoyable.
It is pretty dark overall, but looks good.

There doesnt seem to be an option for gamma yet, or to change keybinds away from WASD.
Though he has said soon in the multiple threads asking.
Stuff like archery and athletics are leveled by using those skills.
So running and jumping like a madman is mandatory.
You start out at 5 str, 5 dex, 5 end etc and get a point on each level, plus a point for a perk, standard fare

Huh, apparently I just have this one since I early access backed the Tainted Grail deckbuilder one. That's nice of them.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

what's the canon of trad rogue likes? the ones that are ancient and presumably still in development via forks at least and usually free

i got a couple semi-traditional dungeon crawlers but i kinda feel like i need a primer of sorts

rogue itself has a paid cheap port on steam which is probably best since im on steam deck

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nethack & ADOM are the obvious big ones. After that, Angband maybe?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mescal posted:

what's the canon of trad rogue likes? the ones that are ancient and presumably still in development via forks at least and usually free

i got a couple semi-traditional dungeon crawlers but i kinda feel like i need a primer of sorts

rogue itself has a paid cheap port on steam which is probably best since im on steam deck

The ones that have been in development long enough to implement a lot of modern sensibilities, and thus are easy to pick up and play for people that haven't grown up on those kinds of games, are Tales of Maj'Eyal and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.
Both can be played for free from their respective websites and both are fantastic games.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

thx. ADOM is one of the ones i bought on the last sale. i think the problem was that the text was too big on steam deck

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you want a modern roguelike then I would highly highly recommend Jupiter Hell.
It's a proper "traditional roguelike" but it's fully playable with a controller and very easy to pick up and play.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mescal posted:

Caves of Qud is an amazing game, though it might be in the very border of what a trad roguelike is like.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Anyone else play Luck Be A Landlord? It's so stupid but I keep going back to it. It's a slot machine roguelike. Turns out a zero mechanics 10 minute strategy RNG game is something I'm often in the mood to play.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Caves of Qud is an amazing game, though it might be in the very border of what a trad roguelike is like.

that one seems even more 'advanced user" than rogue etc. i do have it though so if i cared i could

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

Anyone else play Luck Be A Landlord? It's so stupid but I keep going back to it. It's a slot machine roguelike. Turns out a zero mechanics 10 minute strategy RNG game is something I'm often in the mood to play.

Yeah, I played it for a while, great stuff. I do wish they had made some symbols unlockable because I dropped off after unlocking the 5th (?) level, since it starts to get a little samey after a while.

But when you get a good combo going and those coins just roll in, it's a great dopamine hit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/Levit0/status/1640895506116399104?s=20

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

After a few hours with the DREDGE, I can already say I'm having a lot of fun. It has a great, foreboding atmosphere and the fishing / upgrading your ship and gear is fun. There's a very sinister feel of everything not being exactly as the townspeople are describing it to be but I have no idea where this is gonna go.

And when you are sailing around at night time, put those lights on.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead deserves a mention in addition to all the other ones mentioned.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Does Dredge play well with a controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Great new HB

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/...vorslike_bundle

Rogue Genesia
Boneraiser Minions
Nomad Survival
Bounty of One
Just King