Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

There are no combat reliable ×39 or 5.45 ARs- even the most reliable might not be viable- I have little doubt they are using at least some corrosive ammo, which AR/M16 do not like.

5.56 is already in their supply chain- that doesn't mean it's available to him. I wonder what his 'basic' combat load is.

One side effect of this is watching militaries suddenly remember what war is like, and seeing practical conversations, like ammo management and realistic movement under fire.

If it hasn't already been done, I'm sure there is someone developing a program/app that does all the hard work of call for fire built into the drone operator system.

Ah, that makes sense I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Power Khan posted:

Javelin doing it's job deleting tanks. Some pretty spectacular explosions

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1641497769432035328

Absolutely wild footage, wonder when it was taken

Why does he care about having to carry extra 5.56 mags, that's what squires are for!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Xakura posted:

Absolutely wild footage, wonder when it was taken

I think I've seen the sequence with the smoking BMP starting at 1:15. It's at least 2-3 weeks since then. There's no snow in the video.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
That video definitely shows the need for APS on MBTs and IFVs

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Haven't done one of these in a while cause I've been busy with other things and also there have been less press conferences addressing these. Could be control of messaging regarding Ukraine, but could also be that the DOD press folks have been busy with prepping for and responding to congressional budget and posture hearings. Not a ton, as this is a general briefing and not specific to Ukraine.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transc...press-briefing/

Highlights:
-7,000 Ukrainians trained by USEUCOM since 2022.
-65 Ukrainians finished Patriot training in the US and have returned to Europe. Donated Patriot units are not yet in Ukraine.
-At the close of this month (March), 4,000+ soldiers done with training in Germany, and 1x M2 Bradley Brigade and 1x Stryker brigade will be done with combined arms training and be returned to Ukraine.
-Training two motorized infantry battalions in Germany presently

quote:

GEN. RYDER: On the training front, since Russia's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine in 2022, U.S. European Command, U.S. Army Europe and Africa and Security Assistance Group Ukraine have trained more than 7,000 members of the Ukrainian Armed Forces. Just this week, 65 Ukrainian air defenders completed Patriot training at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, and have now arrived back in Europe. They're integrating with other Ukrainian air defenders, along with donated Patriot air defense equipment from the United States, Germany and the Netherlands. Once in Ukraine, the Patriot air defense system will add to Ukraine's layered air defenses to provide protection and shield from Russia's wanton, brutal attacks on innocent civilians and civilian infrastructure.

Meanwhile in Germany, at the close of this month, more than 4,000 Ukrainian soldiers and two brigades, one equipped with M2 Bradleys and one equipped with Strykers will have completed combined-arms training and have returned to Ukraine. Additional combined-arms training is currently underway at Grafenwoehr and Hohenfels training areas in Germany, with two motorized infantry battalions consisting of 1,200 Ukrainian Armed Forces personnel. Operator and maintenance training on donated platforms is also ongoing, with more than 3,000 Ukrainian soldiers having completed platform training and 40 different programs of instruction on more than 20 systems since April of 2022. Training for Ukrainian Forces is an international effort being conducted in partnership with our coalition partners, who are currently training more than 11,000 Ukrainian soldiers across 26 different nations. The U.S. will continue to provide training and work closely with our allies and partners to ensure the Ukrainian people have the security assistance they need to defend the country -- their country and repel Russian aggression. We remain committed to supporting Ukraine for as long as it takes.

Q: Okay, then just one quick thing. The White House announced earlier today that Russia has reached out again to North Korea for some additional weapons et cetera, support for the war. Has the Pentagon seen any indication that any other additional weapons or any other military support is either preparing or moving from North Korea to Russia?

GEN. RYDER: We have not at this time, beyond which had been previously announced beyond the shipment that Wagner Group had previously arranged for. But it's, again, something we continue to keep a close eye on.

Q: Just a very quick question on the Ukrainians being trained, the numbers you gave there. The Ukrainians who are currently in training, is there an effort to get that training completed before an anticipated Ukrainian counter-offensive? Is that sort of the schedule you're working on? And are there subsequent plans to bring more troops in, following this group on the combined arms training and -- and other systems?

GEN. RYDER: Were you trying to ask me for the date of a Ukrainian counter-offensive? I'm just kidding.

Q: No --

GEN. RYDER: I'm just kidding. Yeah. So -- so a couple of things there.

So first of all, again, I'm not going to talk about potential future operations, I'm not going to talk about timelines. You know, this training -- this program for the combined arms training began in January, and at the time, we announced that -- the course for the -- battalion level courses would take about five weeks each as we cycled forces through. So that is on schedule as these tranches of forces come through to provide that mechanized brigade combined-arms training. That is all on track and on pace.

In terms of additional Ukrainian forces, as has been the case from the beginning, that is a iterative discussion with the Ukrainians in terms of what their needs are, and then you know, keeping in mind that they need to be able to ensure that they have the forces they need on the actual battlefield. So you know, we'll continue to train them, continue to have those discussions on what kind of future training might they need. But in terms as it relates to any type of potential future operations. I'm just not going to be able to talk about that. Thank you.

Q: Thank you for taking my question. My question is related to Ukrainian aid. So last week, Republican lawmakers sent a letter to President Biden urging the administration to provide Ukraine with cluster munitions. So does DOD support using cluster munitions in Ukraine?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, so again, I'm not going to get ahead of any announcements that we're making, so I don't have anything further on that. Thank you.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
New video from the "T" intersection of two UKR tanks engaging RU infantry at EXTREMELY close range featuring a near miss from some sort of anti armor munition.
:nms::nws:

Borscht fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 31, 2023

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Borscht posted:

New video from the "T" intersection of two UKR tanks engaging RU infantry at EXTREMELY close range featuring a near miss from some sort of anti armor munition.
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1641848860996771841

Man they get close to that defensive tree line.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Borscht posted:

Text on the video says it was ATGM "Fagot": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9K111_Fagot

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
The tank didn't see the white flag at 8:40

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Power Khan posted:

That looks like a bit of tarp caught on a tree

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So it looks like the Russians pushed the Ukrainians out of the position and then the Ukrainians sent in the tanks to take it back?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

psydude posted:

So it looks like the Russians pushed the Ukrainians out of the position and then the Ukrainians sent in the tanks to take it back?

Could be they were supposed to support the trench against attack, but got there too late

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Power Khan posted:

It was a piece of plastic caught on a jagged tree limb flapping in the breeze. It's a good 3 or 4 meters away from the trench.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Could be they were supposed to support the trench against attack, but got there too late

Trench warfare doctrine states you always counterattack with as much force as possible immediately after losing the position. You want to hit the new tenants while they are still dazed and exhausted, before they can fully occupy the position and retrofitting for the next fight. Not saying that's it, but something to always keep in mind.

The armor might have been working like a Pink Team- 'white' element will observe, identify, and mark for the 'red' element. It's often used with aircraft, but the concept works.

It also could have been a baited ambush- bleed them just enough they think they are winning, getting them to expend resources on the way in, and let them occupy. Then exploit the confusion before leadership kicks in.

I don't know- I just like playing hypotheticals, and look for lessons.

One thing is for sure- the RU squad had no leadership, no objective, and seemed to have no purpose beyond "Sit in hole. Die in hole."

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I think there's the very presence of the drone is significant. The drone is following the action, not attempting to scout out enemy positions. Also, have y'all seen colors flying from Ukrainian tanks since the first few weeks of the war? The combat looks real but I think (with a lot of reservations) the footage captured was for the purpose of release.

Also, did you guys notice the sound design when one of the trees splits a part?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I imagine drone duties are being differentiated between scouting, targeting, and C2 duties. By this point they probably have a very good sense of where a drone that's coordinating friendly forces should be positioned.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Borscht posted:

I think there's the very presence of the drone is significant. The drone is following the action, not attempting to scout out enemy positions. Also, have y'all seen colors flying from Ukrainian tanks since the first few weeks of the war? The combat looks real but I think (with a lot of reservations) the footage captured was for the purpose of release.

Also, did you guys notice the sound design when one of the trees splits a part?

I've noticed flags in the more recent footage from UKR forces. I think they will be more prominent in the coming 6 weeks, as UKR begins the first Offensive of the Campaign Season.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Borscht posted:

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1641848860996771841

Not easy to watch this one.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Might be good to get a thread update on how this rule is going to be treated: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4026124#post530610387

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Well poo poo. I saw similar stuff at the same location unspoilered earlier this week so I thought it was fine. I'll delete the post if needed and eat a ban or probe or whatever if that's what's right. My bad

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

RE: Tank Armor Discussion.

I was reading this thread on my work break, where I currently work in high grade ceramics for everything from consumer electronics to pacemakers to satellites, which replaced my job where I used to work on ceramics that went into things like tanks and armored vehicles. I'm going to be tip-toeing around NDAs, here.

When most people imagine a kinetic, solid-shot armor-piercing round striking an armored vehicle, I assume they imagine something like a bullet striking a steel plate but on a larger scale, where the projectile either makes a hole and goes through, or bounces against the surface and ricochets away. This isn't exactly the case anymore. The way modern projectiles work encourages the projectile to dig in and break down as it penetrates. There's a channel on Youtube called SY Simulations that tries to accurately model how certain penetrators will perform against certain armor, and while the channel has flaws in its methodology, they provide a helpful visual tool as to how modern penetrators and even stuff like high explosive rounds work.

That said, a modern sabot striking a T-54/55/62 or any basic steel armor is not going to look like a through-and-through hit where the sabot goes through the tank as one mass. It's going to hit the tank, start breaking down the second it hits the rolled steel, then do extremely grisly things to anyone and anything inside the tank, igniting anything it can strike, and striking with enough force to start making the structure of the vehicle itself start to buckle along the welds.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Due the lack of an autoloader, are T-54/55s less explodey than T-72s and the like?

Not really. The ammo in a T-54/55/62 is no more protected than the autoloader tanks against modern munitions. The T-62 even less so, as its main ammo is stored in the forward fuel tank next to the driver. The logic was that the diesel could douse or slow an ammunition fire, but that's never really been the case ever. They all even have ready racks along the turret wall for the loader, which creates an explosion hazard right next to everyone's head.

Autoloaders aren't inherently volatile. In fact, if done right, they can be extremely safe. Israel in particular runs a version of an autoloader in their Merkavas that actually feeds a round to a human loader in an effort to maximize crew safety. The problem is that the T-64/72/80 autoloaders all store live ammo openly in the crew compartment, which is just unacceptable in this day and age. The US never even gave up on autoloaders. They test them every now and again, and even fielded one in the M1128.

As for composite armor, a kinetic penetrator will ideally be sheared away as much as possible before it can score a penetrating strike. Simulations have shown that 105mm DU sabots will mostly go through any Soviet/Russian tanks frontally with some exceptions, while a few live fire tests in the '90s showed that less penetrators may have worked than we previously had thought. The Abrams/Leopard 2 120mm will have no problem. I can't speak for the Chal 2, but it seems fine going by the reported engagements they've had.

I keep harping on this point in different threads, but modern Russia fields so many different types of its many subvariants of tanks that giving definite answers is hard. Even if you can say, "Well, what about a T-72B3?" And my response would be "How many did they make, how many are in Ukraine, and how many actually have working upgrade components in them?" Just check out the "Operators and variants" section of Wikipedia for the T-72 alone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-72_operators_and_variants and realize that a good number of those are serving on both sides in the war along with 62s, 64s, 80s, 90s, and a smattering of each of their subvariants. It's a nightmare.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

No idea why they'd send that armor to clear that trench instead of two quadcopters with grenades. Best case scenario you've killed a squad of infantry, worst case you lose a fuckin tank.

e: holy poo poo that ATGM shot. They got insanely lucky.
e: any guesses why they're driving out into the field the original Russian attack came through instead of attacking the trench from what used to be its rear when it was Ukrainian-held?

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 31, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Borscht posted:

Also, have y'all seen colors flying from Ukrainian tanks since the first few weeks of the war?

I've seen various types of flags painted on, small banners hanging from random parts and yellow/blue ribbons painted on the barrel for quite some time now.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
I wouldnt be suprised if varous different battlegroups have their own variation of FFID on top of the arm bands, very hard to identify through markings alone on an armoured vehicle that you and the enemy use, i found it difficult when doing force on force when its challenger two during exercise, usually if their pointing at you then thats a good indication that they are not friendly but you can quickly become disorientated buttoned down in an armoured vehicle.

One think im very curious is the lack of coax MG being used on infantry, id be raking the gently caress out of that trench line after id disorientated with a HESH

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 1, 2023

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Thanks!

aphid_licker posted:

No idea why they'd send that armor to clear that trench instead of two quadcopters with grenades. Best case scenario you've killed a squad of infantry, worst case you lose a fuckin tank.

e: holy poo poo that ATGM shot. They got insanely lucky.
Maybe it was a personal thing? That tank crew seemed very aggressive and pissed off about something. And yeah holy poo poo at that ATGM shot :stonk:
edit: I think now when I feel the sadbrains, I'll try to be thankful that I'm not those Russians in that trench

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 1, 2023

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I haven't a clue if it was intentional- I highly doubt it was, but that round that fired and hit the ground immediately in front of the tank probably saved their lives by breaking visual, and causing the crew to cover.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Borscht posted:

Well poo poo. I saw similar stuff at the same location unspoilered earlier this week so I thought it was fine. I'll delete the post if needed and eat a ban or probe or whatever if that's what's right. My bad
It's not graphic and the thread isn't using it to get off, so it's hopefully fine. It's good to have discussion of the tactics and tech being used in the conflict, especially with the input of folks who've got subject matter expertise.

On the topic of the drones, I'd guess that group has multiple on location and the one taking the footage is explicitly reserved for cinematography, rather than providing support to the engagement. But I'm talking completely out of my rear end, so who knows :shrug:.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There was a brief clip of a more useful angle on the trench, so there were at least two drones up.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I thought it was pretty impressive how much cover the trench provided while being repeatedly shot at by the tank's main gun.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
russian tanks suck at depression

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ded posted:

Odd, since you'd think Russians would be experts at depression.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ded posted:

more focused on repression

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I wouldnt be suprised if varous different battlegroups have their own variation of FFID on top of the arm bands, very hard to identify through markings alone on an armoured vehicle that you and the enemy use, i found it difficult when doing force on force when its challenger two during exercise, usually if their pointing at you then thats a good indication that they are not friendly but you can quickly become disorientated buttoned down in an armoured vehicle.

One think im very curious is the lack of coax MG being used on infantry, id be raking the gently caress out of that trench line after id disorientated with a HESH

Traditionally, you always use the most casualty producing weapon first, provided situation dictates. You don't use a pistol when you have a grenade, you don't use a rifle when you have an MG type thing. It's efficient, and it produces a psychological effect.

That's also assuming they kept the Coax- they are often removed and reutilized in better roles. It's common in smaller/poorer militaries.

I personally would have chosen tanks to prove a point. Drones are a constant buzzing danger that drops fear and fragmentation, but it's a known thing. You have counter measures, ECW, and weapons to counter.
If you don't have proper AT weapons, the tank is an impossible beast, unstoppable death. It tells them that they are unimportant, and that you have enough metal monsters to risk 2 to squad wipe. The response it provokes might be part of the planning, too.

As always, just throwing poo poo at the wall.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not a military guy and I'm not even sure of what that tank (72, yeah?) has but I was surprised by the lack of coax. Like bulletsponge13 said it may have been removed and repurposed but while watching that video I just wanted some surpassing fire. Again, I don't know about that situation and maybe a tank idling nearby is "surpressing" enough between firing.

I just want to add that I certainly don't enjoy "bloodlust" or seeing people graphically killed but I do appreciate these on the ground combat videos. It reminds me of the humanity of it all. We can look at maps all day and also cheer when the good guys move an inch but sometimes I need and want the reminder that there are people really risking life and limb and sanity for their homeland. I think sometimes we view it as a chess game and choose to ignore the ugliness of it all. I understand it but I'm not sure it helps. I thought about those Russians in that trench. There was a human element. They are invaders and I have no pause in what their outcome was but there is more reality than just daily progress maps. I'm wording this poorly. I've both just woke up and am drunk.

Anyhoo, don't probe me.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

RoyKeen posted:

I'm not a military guy and I'm not even sure of what that tank (72, yeah?) has but I was surprised by the lack of coax. Like bulletsponge13 said it may have been removed and repurposed but while watching that video I just wanted some surpassing fire. Again, I don't know about that situation and maybe a tank idling nearby is "surpressing" enough between firing.

I just want to add that I certainly don't enjoy "bloodlust" or seeing people graphically killed but I do appreciate these on the ground combat videos. It reminds me of the humanity of it all. We can look at maps all day and also cheer when the good guys move an inch but sometimes I need and want the reminder that there are people really risking life and limb and sanity for their homeland. I think sometimes we view it as a chess game and choose to ignore the ugliness of it all. I understand it but I'm not sure it helps. I thought about those Russians in that trench. There was a human element. They are invaders and I have no pause in what their outcome was but there is more reality than just daily progress maps. I'm wording this poorly. I've both just woke up and am drunk.

Anyhoo, don't probe me.

I've had nightmares of being those poor Mobiks since I was a kid. Many- most, in my experience- troops have the same kind of nightmares where you have an enemy coming, and nothing works. They just keep coming, absorbing every hit with no indication of effect. It doesn't stop, and you are left silently screaming in your somatic coma as you plan to fist fight the armored leviathan.

In the best dreams, you wake up before the end.
In most, you wake up, sweat streaming down a jailbroke lock jaw, as your nerves have a schizophrenic signals of the death you just experienced.

It's fun.
Wait, unfun. Unfun is the word.

E- I'm in an unexpectedly weird mental state with the 20th anniversary of Iraq.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 1, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

RoyKeen posted:

Anyhoo, don't probe me.

A hostile tank pointing its main gun at you has a very suppressing effect on your morale.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

A hostile tank pointing its main gun at you has a very suppressing effect on your morale.

I do completely get that but there is a possibility, as in this case, of having some AT capability and taking the tank out. I'm just a civilian who has never been in such a situation and I'm sure I'd poo poo my pants but the tank couldn't assume they'd all be like me and I just guessed there would be more offensive suppression. Again, I totally understand the situation is definitely dynamic and chaotic and I'm just sitting in my chair thousands of miles away. I'm not second guessing people on the ground I just was curious what was doctrine and what not. I don't even know if that tank has or had a machine gun or who would man it or if in this case it would even matter or be used.

That's why I appreciate these kinds of videos. I'm honestly not into the tactics of it all. It helps me connect with the humans engaged in it all.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

bulletsponge13 posted:

E- I'm in an unexpectedly weird mental state with the 20th anniversary of Iraq.

Man. Remember what our bar for "worst President" used to be?

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

RoyKeen posted:

I just want to add that I certainly don't enjoy "bloodlust" or seeing people graphically killed but

Why do people keep doing this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Herman Merman posted:

Why do people keep doing this

Doing what? Editing posts out of context?