Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1641848553189277719?s=46&t=3d9JmXOJWgE8nozHLwUyjQ

Weak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
i honestly don't think it's an issue anymore with NIL, g-league and OTE. There are tons of ways to compensate top prospects. Vets don't need more young players taking money, and teams don't want guys who will never possibly contribute positively outside of a lebron situation

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/aldridge_12/status/1641851400513519637

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

>Pretend this is the image of Oden, Aldridge, and Roy together on the bench<

Every minute, LaMarcus?

Edit
gently caress, I missed the mark and made myself sad. I really loved Brandon Roy in a way his knees never did.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

Pretty much this he's been a top 2 guard this year it depends on how you feel about team success being weighted into the award

MVP should account for team success to a larger degree, it's mostly a narrative award and that's fine. All-NBA (which is larger pool and has contract impacts) should really be more focused on the player, imo.

I know realistically people just do things for whatever arbitrary reason and they'll justify their favorites regardless, but thats how I'll do it whenever the NBA gets around to giving us all here our votes.

Dejan Bimble posted:

i honestly don't think it's an issue anymore with NIL, g-league and OTE. There are tons of ways to compensate top prospects. Vets don't need more young players taking money, and teams don't want guys who will never possibly contribute positively outside of a lebron situation

Yeah I agree. I just don't see the burning motivation from either side. I don't think 18 year olds are any more likely to be busts, but I do think it is a bigger investment in development and time. I think a situation where you can draft an 18 year old but that first year is more of a 2-way thing and doesn't count towards the 4 year rookie contract might work but I don't see either side tipping the barrel over this.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
How do y'all feel about Jimmy Butler, this year?

And does Lauri make the third team? And if not, who takes his place?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Goddamn the Naz Reid injury is loving brutal. This team is loving cursed.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Someone compared Jimmy to Jaylen and they have similar stats. But I feel like Jaylen should be considered because he's not the #1 option but performs as well as other guys who are. Just my unbiased opinion.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
As long as Fox makes one of the all NBA teams, I don’t care which other guards make it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Lockback posted:

Yeah I agree. I just don't see the burning motivation from either side. I don't think 18 year olds are any more likely to be busts, but I do think it is a bigger investment in development and time. I think a situation where you can draft an 18 year old but that first year is more of a 2-way thing and doesn't count towards the 4 year rookie contract might work but I don't see either side tipping the barrel over this.

What about the fact that 18 year olds are adults when it comes to everything else in this country? It’s an arbitrary restriction only designed to help out corrupt NCAA programs. Just because 18 year olds will be eligible doesn’t mean that they’re going to get drafted. They still have to be good enough. It’s a dumb rule

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Bismack Billabongo posted:

In honor of the illustrious career of the now retired Ben Simmons I will permanently retire my gamer tag of Bismack Billabongo if the Suns win the NBA title this season. Accepting suggestions for a new screen name.
Alicia Blanco or Alicia-Monique Blanco

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

temple posted:

Someone compared Jimmy to Jaylen and they have similar stats. But I feel like Jaylen should be considered because he's not the #1 option but performs as well as other guys who are. Just my unbiased opinion.

I want to see the Celtics pull out all the stops to retain Jaylen so an aggressive All-NBA campaign to get him eligible for the super max would be a good idea.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Kibner posted:

I don't think he foul hunts.

he averages 10.7 fta a game, basically the same as harden did in his prime hunting days. close to giannis numbers who gets fouled because thats basically the only way to stop him. sga knows what he's doing

temple posted:

lowe and mcmahon on the lowe post, zach said jimmy blows jaylen away with advanced stats and im inclined to believe. plus with a game on the line who are you passing to, butler or brown? not a question imo

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I want to see the Celtics pull out all the stops to retain Jaylen so an aggressive All-NBA campaign to get him eligible for the super max would be a good idea.

true it'd create roster cost contraints for the celtics inhibiting them from fielding such a robust team, whats bad for the celtics is a general good

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ammanas posted:

he averages 10.7 fta a game, basically the same as harden did in his prime hunting days. close to giannis numbers who gets fouled because thats basically the only way to stop him. sga knows what he's doing

lowe and mcmahon on the lowe post, zach said jimmy blows jaylen away with advanced stats and im inclined to believe. plus with a game on the line who are you passing to, butler or brown? not a question imo

true it'd create roster cost contraints for the celtics inhibiting them from fielding such a robust team, whats bad for the celtics is a general good

Plus you have to compensate for the fact that in the playoffs Jimmy Butler becomes say 25% better which isn’t true for Jaylen Brown

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Ammanas posted:

Who would you trade for: brown or butler?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Jimmy's had a great year. Him and Tatum being first team forwards seems correct.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

temple posted:

This is kinda unfair in the context of how you're doing for the season since age is a factor in trade. Who would you trade for 1 season of play?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Lockback posted:

This is kinda unfair in the context of how you're doing for the season since age is a factor in trade. Who would you trade for 1 season of play?
Its easy to say brown.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

temple posted:

if im the Lakers? butler. if I'm the nets? brown. it depends.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

temple posted:

Well brown if the prices are the same, because youth and miles

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Actually I’m changing my pic to Butler for wearing his braids for NBA picture day and then immediately taking them out

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Dejan Bimble posted:

Actually I’m changing my pic to Butler for wearing his braids for NBA picture day and then immediately taking them out

that will forever own

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I know people will say "who's better this year":
Jaylen is the #2 option on one of the 2 best teams in the same conference and league. all star.
Butler is #1 option on a 7-8 seed with no major accomplishments to note other than blocking booker in a game.

I think people punish good players for being on good teams.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Ammanas posted:

They are over the cap no matter what. The only implications would be tax based which I do not care about and allegedly the owner doesn't either.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
There are just too many good guards in the league. Dame, Luka, SGA, and Fox all seem deserving to me.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

If i had to bet I would've said the Heat suck rear end without Butler but I looked it up and they're 8-8 without him. That statmuse site is really good for that, you can just type what you want in the search bar and it'll give you the results.

indiana pacers record without tyrese haliburton this season
The Indiana Pacers are 5-16 without Tyrese Haliburton this season.

76ers record without joel embiid this season
The Philadelphia 76ers have a 9-5 record without Joel Embiid this season.

denver nuggets record without nikola jokic this season
The Denver Nuggets have a 3-6 record without Nikola Jokic this season.

blazers record without lillard this season
The Portland Trail Blazers have a record of 5-13 without Damian Lillard this season.

warriors record without steph curry this season
The Golden State Warriors have a record of 14-12 without Stephen Curry this season.

lakers record without lebron this season
The Los Angeles Lakers have a 13-14 record without LeBron James this season.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ammanas posted:

That doesn't mean he plays in a foul hunting way with throwing his head back, hooking defenders arms on his drives, etc.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Drake saying no: NBA MVP
Drake saying yes: NBA G-League MVP

https://twitter.com/NBAPR/status/1641828960689352704?t=bsrJKbzVg0KwZnmyUcC8uA&s=19

Nobody is ready for the path of destruction Junior is gonna wreak off the bench next season. Dude can ball

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

temple posted:

Jaylen is the #2 option on one of the 2 best teams in the same conference and league. all star.
Butler is #1 option on a 7-8 seed with no major accomplishments to note other than blocking booker in a game.

the Celtics are one of the most stacked teams in the league of course individual achievements are going to be scrutinized a little harder for anyone benefiting from that. what do Brown's numbers look like if he's playing with Gabe Vincent, Max Strus, Tyler Herro, Caleb Martin, and Bam Adebayo instead of his Good Team?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kibner posted:

I don't think he foul hunts.

Agreed. Shai gets fouled because he's clever/quick/strong and he surprises his man by being past them unexpectedly. Like just watch him and watch Austin Reaves and you can see the difference between someone hunting fouls and someone getting fouled.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

temple posted:

It is really, really hard to be a #1 option.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

To give a general idea of how good or bad someone is scoring and also highlight the best and worst ever. The worst scorers have more FGAs than points.

In 1948 Joe Fulks shot 26% from the field while taking thousands of shots. The worst scoring season ever.

This year Jokic is shooting 68% from the 2P range and has scored many points. One of the best scoring seasons ever.

Stagger_Lee posted:

Yeah, I'm not confused about what True Shooting does. But just multiplying it by points would be a much stranger result than using the adjusted shooting numbers from br.

Multiplying those two together doesn't do very much. The correlation between (TS% * PTS) and points alone is virtually identical.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Stagger_Lee posted:

I think NP without adjusting as grown a little bit silly in the way that gives players positive credit for anything above 1 point per possession, which is significantly below the rate of even the worst teams. But it's not a really big deal, the people on the top of the list are still people who are finishing the most very good plays.

They both have their purposes.

Best/worst scoring (in a vacuum):

code:
Player		 NP		Year
Stephen Curry	 601		2016
Adrian Dantley	 563.76 	1984
Charles Barkley	 562.56		1988
Kevin Durant	 550.8		2014
James Harden	 531.48		2019
Kevin Durant	 517		2013
Karl Malone	 511.28		1990
Adrian Dantley	 511.08		1982

Joe Fulks	-409.72		1949
Hank Beenders	-416.08		1947
Stan Miasek	-428.4		1947
Joe Fulks	-429.24		1950
Joe Fulks	-432.44		1947
Ariel Maughan	-447.16		1947
Joe Fulks	-480.6		1948
Best/worst scoring (relative to league average):

code:
Player		 	 ANP		Year
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	 460.38		1972
Stephen Curry		 454.75		2016
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	 452.97		1971
Wilt Chamberlain 	 441.49		1967
Charles Barkley	 	 433.51		1988
Wilt Chamberlain 	 430.28		1962
Adrian Dantley	 	 404.84		1984

Reggie Jackson		-201.48		2022
Emmanuel Mudiay		-207.15		2016
Woody Sauldsberry	-208.82		1962
Jason Kidd		-211.43		1996
Josh Smith		-213.06		2014
Woody Sauldsberry	-221.38		1959
Mark Macon		-226.31		1992
Guy Rodgers		-234.96		1966
Woody Sauldsberry	-239.99		1960
Woody Sauldsberry	-245.82		1961

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Saul deez berries

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Joe Fulks must have been an all-time defender

e: he's in the hall of Fame with a .374 career TS%

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 31, 2023

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Nurse is apparently feeling a bit maudlin and now there's a rumour about the Raptors bringing in Udoka. Not really what I expected.

https://twitter.com/OGsHeadband1/status/1641938480484737029?s=20

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Stevie Lee posted:

Joe Fulks must have been an all-time defender

e: he's in the hall of Fame with a .374 career TS%

There are posters here who maybe could have been HoF players in the 40s.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Hand Knit posted:

Nurse is apparently feeling a bit maudlin and now there's a rumour about the Raptors bringing in Udoka. Not really what I expected.

https://twitter.com/OGsHeadband1/status/1641938480484737029?s=20

Around a month ago Ben Golliver predicted (not reporting/hadn't heard anything) that he was gonna resign at the end of this season soclearly the people who see him regularly think he's strugglin'.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Nick Nurse looks and sound like a general contractor I work with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Rick posted:

Around a month ago Ben Golliver predicted (not reporting/hadn't heard anything) that he was gonna resign at the end of this season soclearly the people who see him regularly think he's strugglin'.

This team has had some bad vibes around it this year and the results two of the last three years haven't been great so it's not like it feels unmotivated. Still, it feels surprising.