Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

isnt he just 'Hey you arent robin!'?

Oh no, way uglier.

I think whenever he shows up most modern artists either make the cape way darker green or just straight up black but it's still just bad imo.

You're probably thinking of Tim Drake's pre-New 52 Red Robin costume which looked kinda unfortunately similar (and everyone knew it too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I like Mid-Nite's design. It definitely isn't "good" but it embodies design elements from the Golden Age in a way you don't really see in any other Earth II hero except Alan Scott. It feels like a weird quirk of fate that he managed to keep the design for so long and I'd rather it be kept over a redesign.

Imo, it's Star Spangled Kid. Awful name, costume like a pair of kids pyjamas.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Original Star-Man isn't great. Like, I think anything you could levy against Dr. Mid-Nite could be levied against him, and arguably worse.

I'm also not fond of Hourman's hood over the eyes thing, but his costume is otherwise okay.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Heathens.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

He has a legitimate reason for the poor colour coordination.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

:hmmyes:

These drat kids today.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Skull Servant posted:

Imo, it's Star Spangled Kid. Awful name, costume like a pair of kids pyjamas.
What are the most embarrassing synonyms for 'youth' that have ever been used in a superhero title anyways? 'X Lad/Lass' is up there, 'Y Kid' seems even worse, 'Z Teen' has the most powerful 'i was named by my boomer boss' energy... what about weirder ones? Anyone out there called 'Justice Kiddo' or 'Power Toddler'? How about 'Hyper Child'?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I still find all the old JSA costumes charming, I like costumes with fins on the head (but I do like goofy retro poo poo). That said, there's some pretty dire stuff in the Detroit JLA outfits.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hawkman with beak upper and lower jaw never not funny

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I still find all the old JSA costumes charming, I like costumes with fins on the head (but I do like goofy retro poo poo). That said, there's some pretty dire stuff in the Detroit JLA outfits.

Yeah. G-word is just uncomfortable all around now. And Vibe is not.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Drakyn posted:

What are the most embarrassing synonyms for 'youth' that have ever been used in a superhero title anyways? 'X Lad/Lass' is up there, 'Y Kid' seems even worse, 'Z Teen' has the most powerful 'i was named by my boomer boss' energy... what about weirder ones? Anyone out there called 'Justice Kiddo' or 'Power Toddler'? How about 'Hyper Child'?
Not pointing this out to razz you as much as to point out how time passes and standards change, but all of the Golden Age superheroes were created by the parents and grandparents of "Boomer Bosses" so Pinky the Wiz Kid or Sandy the Golden Boy or etc. etc. were mostly created when Boomers were like negative ten years old and not in positions of authority.

In the early 20th century "Kid" had much more of an edge, a nickname more associated with gunslingers and boxers and street gangs than cartoons marketed at toddlers. "Teens" as a distinct social group/stage of development was largely a post World War II thing. Society (and how it views/uses words) changes constantly. "Spider-Punk" would have been very differently received and interpreted in the 1940s.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I’ve always hated Elongated Man’s JLI-era look, with the asymmetrical lavender and white suit. Really obviously a choice to make him distinct from Plastic Man and Reed Richards, but surely there were better ways than dressing him to look like a maternity ward.

And of course Firestorm’s…whole thing. Why the puffy sleeves? Is that a mask, or eyeliner, or what? What’s up with the shoulders? He’s always on fire or surrounded by atomic orbits, too, which just makes him all the more visually complicated.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Firestorm was born perfect, you filthy heathen. Stand in the Corner of Woe and reflect on your heresy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Comicsgate 2 is being born

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Splint Chesthair posted:

And of course Firestorm’s…whole thing. Why the puffy sleeves? Is that a mask, or eyeliner, or what? What’s up with the shoulders? He’s always on fire or surrounded by atomic orbits, too, which just makes him all the more visually complicated.

What the hell is this slander? Everything about Firestorm's look is perfect. More heroes should aspire for that look. Also more heroes should have their heads on fire. That makes any look 115% cooler.
Also on the opposite side of the spectrum jackets also make costumes 112% better (also why Ghost Rider is the best designed character because he has a flaming head and a jacket therefore he is 227% cooler than any other character ever).

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

And chains are very cool

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

He has a legitimate reason for the poor colour coordination.

Look, Daredevil managed to fix his poo poo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Look, Daredevil managed to fix his poo poo.

he cheated by making it all one color.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Skull Servant posted:

I like Mid-Nite's design. It definitely isn't "good" but it embodies design elements from the Golden Age in a way you don't really see in any other Earth II hero except Alan Scott. It feels like a weird quirk of fate that he managed to keep the design for so long and I'd rather it be kept over a redesign.

Yeah, I kinda like Mid-Nite's design too. I actually prefer the green cape and cowl over the all black one though, which probably explains why I don't love that Red Robin costume despite that. Maybe the floppy boots and hawking gloves are what makes it all come together.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
If anything, Doc's greatest aesthetic sin is going by "Mid-Nite"

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Dr
Crazy-eyes

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Madkal posted:

What the hell is this slander? Everything about Firestorm's look is perfect. More heroes should aspire for that look. Also more heroes should have their heads on fire. That makes any look 115% cooler.
Also on the opposite side of the spectrum jackets also make costumes 112% better (also why Ghost Rider is the best designed character because he has a flaming head and a jacket therefore he is 227% cooler than any other character ever).

Not sure how often he shows up anymore, but I thought Jason Rusch's Firestorm looked great when he was introduced

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Drakyn posted:

All the "Kid X" or "Y Lass" or whatever names are really funny when you think about Spider-Man being 15 when he started. and then Bendis created Miles Morales and he was 13 when he took over as Spider-Man in the Ultimate universe. But when Barbara Gordon was a sitting United States Congresswoman and her secret identity was still Bat-Girl

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

All the "Kid X" or "Y Lass" or whatever names are really funny when you think about Spider-Man being 15 when he started. and then Bendis created Miles Morales and he was 13 when he took over as Spider-Man in the Ultimate universe. But when Barbara Gordon was a sitting United States Congresswoman and her secret identity was still Bat-Girl

If I remember correctly calling him Spider-Man was a deliberate choice on Marvel's part to separate Peter from all the Lads/Lasses/Kids even though he was a teenager.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Snackmar posted:

Not sure how often he shows up anymore, but I thought Jason Rusch's Firestorm looked great when he was introduced

Same. He’d be a great member for a new Detroit Justice League.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I kind of liked Gotham City: Year One (Phil Hester's art was a big part of why) but the final issue shoehorned in a bunch of ridiculous connections to the Bat-mythos.

- Ace Chemicals used to be Wayne Chemicals.
- Richard Wayne used what is now the batcave to house his collection of adultery memorabilia and presumably to jerk off in privacy.
- Richard Wayne used "the bat-man' as his alias on the ransom note when kidnapping his own child.
- Constance Wayne asked Slam Bradley to mentor young Thomas Wayne so he'd know that it was unsafe to wander down alleys in Gotham. Slam refused. Oh no!

I'm not as down on Tom King as some people, but this was pretty hacky.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Who doesn't want a giant cave in which they can jerk off in peace?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I was gonna ask about it, it sounded interesting and I haven't read too much Tom King so I'm at least not numb to his style. Does the rest hold up well or just skip it?

In a weird question, classic Jim Lee WildC.A.T.s is too entrenched in the proto-Image universe for DC to reprint them, right? A combination of liking WildC.A.T.s/Aliens, thinking Waller vs. Wildstorm sounded interesting, and a high tolerance for '90s crap made me interested in reading them.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The weirdest retcon that is just sort of tossed into some flashback narration in the last issue of Gotham City: Year One is: Slam Bradley was apparently the only white person in Gotham who wasn't racist as all hell in the 1950s... because he's actually a light skinned black man who has passed as white all these years, and he became a cop to discover which cop murdered his non-passing brother! And when he couldn't figure it out he quit the force to become a private investigator. And also just never mentioned his brother or how he's black, like ever, to anyone, until he's dying and he wants to tell Batman about how his grandpa used the Batcave as his fuckpad back in the day.

There is also an open question of how Batman's grandpa was shot in the head and killed by his grandma when his dead aunt was still an infant, and then... somehow the widow Batgrandma gets pregnant again and gives birth to Batdad years later? but maybe this one is down to a line of exposition I missed and/or comic book artists not being able to draw babies/toddlers/children well, and the tiny pre-verbal/non-ambultory baby in the crib was written to be a four year old.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

That sounds awful

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've decided to get back into comics after over a decade of not paying attention to them and for whatever reason I decided to get into some DC titles despite being a Marvel fan for decades. I'm old.

Anyway, I got into DC because I saw that Wildcats was back! One of my favorite comics as a kid! I think I had every issue of the original run. Are there other Image titles being revived? What and how did they get here? Where can I read how those characters came into the mainstream?

I also grabbed the first issue of the new JSA. I'm completely lost but it's a fun ride. I always liked JSA over JLA so I'm looking forward to more.

Also is everything being rebooted? Is that just how comics are now? The last time I read DC was the Crisis event 15 or so years ago when Superboy died.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Walla posted:

I've decided to get back into comics after over a decade of not paying attention to them and for whatever reason I decided to get into some DC titles despite being a Marvel fan for decades. I'm old.

Anyway, I got into DC because I saw that Wildcats was back! One of my favorite comics as a kid! I think I had every issue of the original run. Are there other Image titles being revived? What and how did they get here? Where can I read how those characters came into the mainstream?

I also grabbed the first issue of the new JSA. I'm completely lost but it's a fun ride. I always liked JSA over JLA so I'm looking forward to more.

Also is everything being rebooted? Is that just how comics are now? The last time I read DC was the Crisis event 15 or so years ago when Superboy died.

Everything in both companies is rebooted on average every 12-18 months. Just pick up nooks with characters you are interested in. Check out DC infinite for lots of old comics. If you need recommendations s for anything older than 20 years a couple of use can give you some.

If you like thr JSA nearly everything to do with them from the silver age to modern is on DC infinite. Some of the writing is dated, but overall most of it is enjoyable comics. The early 90s jsa series is not good though.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 31, 2023

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Walla posted:

DC bought Wildstorm in like, 1998 or something, and fully folded WIldstorm into the DCU in the New 52 reboot in 2011 after years of slowly bringing the two closer together.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

catlord posted:

DC bought Wildstorm in like, 1998 or something, and fully folded WIldstorm into the DCU in the New 52 reboot in 2011 after years of slowly bringing the two closer together.

Wildstorm does feel like mostly completely ingrained in DC even if people don't usually act like there's at least one other Superman-level meta in Mr. Majestic and maybe Apollo and also Midnighter is Batman but super-powered. For a while it seemed they mostly remembered the WildCATs and maybe Fairchild.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

catlord posted:

I remember reading New 52. That was fun. I even remember the Worldstorm event. But have the characters just been on the shelf the past decade?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Walla posted:

I remember reading New 52. That was fun. I even remember the Worldstorm event. But have the characters just been on the shelf the past decade?

Grifter showed up in the recent Batman anthology book for a story, and Midnighter turns up occasionally but otherwise.... yeah?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I think everyone but Grifter in WILDCATS is like, a new verion that's not been used in DC before.

I have no idea what possessed them to make Fairchild a kid who turns into the classic Fairchild. It's like they just took the name and pasted it on a new character who has pretty much nothing to do with the old one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

I have no idea what possessed them to make Fairchild a kid who turns into the classic Fairchild. It's like they just took the name and pasted it on a new character who has pretty much nothing to do with the old one.

That's a very weird take on it. Doing a sort of a Shazam thing, I guess?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

That's a very weird take on it. Doing a sort of a Shazam thing, I guess?

i feel like if you're gonna do that kind of thing you shouldn't do it with a character for who it was literally a running joke in their original series that she was constantly half-to-mostly nude because of her clothing being destroyed by her superpower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Skwirl posted:

Random question that I'm curious about : When Barbara was a congresswoman, which political party was she affiliated with?