Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Dying Light 1 is absolutely incredible barring the last 5 minutes which almost singlehandedly ruin the game.

I can't believe the final mission of Dying Light 1 is forced to single-player. Literally everything else in the game is playable in co-op, why separate me the for the finale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Suburban Dad posted:

Heh, I hated the driving open world stuff. "let's completely remove the fun parkour and need for your cool grappling hook" Great idea that was.

Yeah, Dying Light had an incredible sense of place. There was no fast travel and you had to plan your routes, evade open spaces cause they are dangerous, know the land. It wasn't a masterpiece or anything but it had a proper open world. When people complain about the abundance of open worlds I think they miss that we don't have a lot of properly made open worlds, what we usually get is a big level creating an illusion of there being more to the game than there really is.

And DL expansion world is like that pointless open world. Instead of cohesive world you get points of interest separated by an empty space, and there's so much empty space they give you a car. Or maybe they wanted to add a car and thus they had to add empty space, but both possibilities are bad.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mescal posted:

dying light was your goty 2016?

This is the free games thread. I usually get games way after they come out on deep sales so the bangers from then I probably didn't get to until later. I bought Titanfall 2 for 5 dollars. Doom for less than 20 probably. Dying light is fun, man. I don't remember what else I was playing then but remember thinking it was in the top 3 easily.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
dying light made me more nauseous than any other game I've played, and I have an iron stomach. some combo of the FOV, HDR, filters, chromatic aberration, motion blur, texture quality, idk--it was just bad. I played it coop up until the second act where it got stale even though we'd just snagged the grappling hook. I preferred dead island coop since that game is dumb as hell and it starts off with a banger of a quotable line with "WHO DO YOU VOODOO, BITCH?"

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Motion blur is eye cancer. I cannot believe it is (a) an option and (b) turned on by default in most games. If a game has motion blur that cannot be turned off, it might as well be free for all the chances that'd I'd play it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Caufman posted:

Motion blur is eye cancer. I cannot believe it is (a) an option and (b) turned on by default in most games. If a game has motion blur that cannot be turned off, it might as well be free for all the chances that'd I'd play it.

:yeah:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I like Per-Object blur when it's done right but it rarely is, and full screen motion blur is satan's own device

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Caufman posted:

I turned all that poo poo off and it was still almost just as bad. I had to make a hefty bunch of config changes to make it playable iirc

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Suburban Dad posted:

Dying Light 1 is real fun. Was my GOTY back in 2015 or 16. I was bummed when the sequel got pretty middling reviews.

2 is fine, just more of the same and fairly forgettable. Def worth a cheap pickup though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Is motion blur that bad? I don't notice it when it's there and I don't miss it when it's absent.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

JustJeff88 posted:

Is motion blur that bad? I don't notice it when it's there and I don't miss it when it's absent.

For me the game feels weird and feels like my brain is hosed up, and then I turn off motion blur and it's fine.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It makes both me and most of PCs nauseated. I hate that poo poo and don't see what anybody could possibly get out of it. I trust that there is. I'm not looking for examples. I just can't even fathom that on my own.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.gog.com/en/game/deep_sky_derelicts

is the new free gog game

it's like scifi darkest dungeon

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Having just played dying light 1 and 2 in order (though without finishing either), both have their strengths. 1 is hardcore and more unforgiving, 2 is more colorful and arcadey, which for me kinda fell apart in the second section. You switch from low houses to a business district where you also get a paraglider. It kinda takes the oppressive feelinf away.

However, 1 for free is a no-brainer, it's very rewarding since the parcour is fluid and fun, and you for the most part have great control of how much risk and reward you wanna take.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I am a big baby when it comes to scary games and movies. The first night in dying light was an experience.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

JustJeff88 posted:

If something's supposed to be moving so fast it blurs, then the game can just move so fast it actually blurs in my eyes. Alternatively, it can gently caress off with that. Same thing with depth of field - my eyes already do that when I'm looking around anyway. Those are the two graphics options I immediately nuke.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Complications posted:

If something's supposed to be moving so fast it blurs, then the game can just move so fast it actually blurs in my eyes.

This is not how monitors or human vision work.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Sure does on my VA panel.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Sometimes I have to wear a special helmet to degauss my eyeballs.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

It's very subjective of course. For me lack of motion blur makes everything look extremely artificial. Everything looks as if it was filmed with a slow-motion camera and then sped up. Higher frame rate only makes it worse.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Complications posted:

If something's supposed to be moving so fast it blurs, then the game can just move so fast it actually blurs in my eyes. Alternatively, it can gently caress off with that. Same thing with depth of field - my eyes already do that when I'm looking around anyway. Those are the two graphics options I immediately nuke.
Exactly, and hell yes. It gives me a damned headache whenever a piece of media tries to simulate what my eyes are already doing, with only one exception that then also sucks if you take it too far.

In filmmaking, focus is used to, well, focus the viewer's eyes. In film school, we jokingly referred to this as the attention simulator. You rack focus from a person in the foreground to a person in a background, and yeah. That's exactly what your eye would do, and now we know that background person is what we should be watching.

But when you do that poo poo in a loving 3D movie? GAH.

Now, I don't have depth perception from a "corrected" lazy eye (they just corrected how it looks when I was a child, leaving me with no way to see depth) so maybe this is unique to me, but my eyes and brain really want to be able to bring things into focus that aren't in 3D movies in a way that 2D movies doesn't set off, and when they can't do so, they rebel by giving me one of those achy-eye headaches that travels to the back of the neck and then, after a time, :barf: .

Motion blur and depth of field in games are instant offs for me for the same reason.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
as someone who does have depth perception i do think it's very much a you problem

which is fine, just don't think it's a universal problem or something fake that other people don't experience

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i dont get a headache from bad depth of field effects in games but they are still stupid bullshit

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

LividLiquid posted:

Exactly, and hell yes. It gives me a damned headache whenever a piece of media tries to simulate what my eyes are already doing, with only one exception that then also sucks if you take it too far.

In filmmaking, focus is used to, well, focus the viewer's eyes. In film school, we jokingly referred to this as the attention simulator. You rack focus from a person in the foreground to a person in a background, and yeah. That's exactly what your eye would do, and now we know that background person is what we should be watching.

But when you do that poo poo in a loving 3D movie? GAH.

Now, I don't have depth perception from a "corrected" lazy eye (they just corrected how it looks when I was a child, leaving me with no way to see depth) so maybe this is unique to me, but my eyes and brain really want to be able to bring things into focus that aren't in 3D movies in a way that 2D movies doesn't set off, and when they can't do so, they rebel by giving me one of those achy-eye headaches that travels to the back of the neck and then, after a time, :barf: .

Motion blur and depth of field in games are instant offs for me for the same reason.

Yeah, so your situation is a little more unique in light of the monocular vision... for everyone else, the fact that we see with two eyes and their converges and the point at which they focus to give us a sharp image IS actually a core part of image processing. Not only does it give us depth, but the distance matters. A screen is always going to be a flat plane with no actual depth to it, so images will always partially appear flat to use specifically because our brain knows it's only focusing on an image X distance away from us, regardless of whether we're looking at the foreground or background.

Part of the point of depth of field, along with drawing your focus, is to actually simulate the loss of detail and blurriness of the periphery to try and confound our brains into thinking that the background is further away than it actually is. This, like stuff with motion tracking and blur, has varying levels of success on different people. It works better for many, but a handful of people still notice it and don't like it. In the case of 3D movies that are actually shot in 3D (vs bullshit software "3D") they don't actually have this effect added to them, because they don't need it... both cameras are focused and angled in the correct locations, which is why the effect is way more believable.

Getting back to the point of motion blur in video games, it's entirely a modern concession to LCD screens and pixel perfect monitors. It wasn't necessary in the days of CRT because of the nature of CRTs and how thy work, so even at 24fps someone moving around moved smoothly and it was fine, because there was a gradient to what was being lit up on the aperture grill. LCD etc screens are binary, the pixels are on or off, and they flip instantly. Without motion blur, a lot of people see choppy and artificial jumpiness to the movement because their brain's vision patterns just can't auto-complete the movements to make things look smoother. This is less and less necessary as framerates go higher and higher as there is actual frame data for each frame and thus good continuity between each image.

So yeah, where the free games at?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Fuzz posted:

Without motion blur, a lot of people see choppy and artificial jumpiness to the movement because their brain's vision patterns just can't auto-complete the movements to make things look smoother. This is less and less necessary as framerates go higher and higher as there is actual frame data for each frame and thus good continuity between each image.

Motion blur is different from those other effects like field of view, chromatic aberration and flare lens cause it doesn't try to emulate camera behavior but the human eye. 30 FPS with proper motion blur looks more natural to me than 144hz. Perhaps at 300hz, I'll stop seeing the difference between reality and the screen. People in tech obviously went with higher framerates rather than emulating the way the human eye works and they probably know what they're doing, the eye behavior is probably hard to emulate. Usually, everything in game state is tied to framerate, most noticeably controls, so even perfect motion blur making a 30 FPS game look exactly the same I perceive reality will probably feel wrong cause of input lag. Plus I don't know how subjective even the perfect blur would look.

Anyway it's a moot point cause none of the techniques used look very good. And people tried since times immemorial, a trail behind swinging sword or ray of light instead of flying bullet is all a form of motion blur. Still prefer some light form of it over nothing.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I'm fine with elements having motion blur for style, but general motion blur (and depth of field) in games tends to assume that you're only focusing on the exact center of the screen and uh no that's not how this works. I didn't switch to a 40ish inch 4K monitor that I can push up to 144hz with my hardware to focus only at the very middle of it.

Natural motion blur at 24 fps in movies is one thing, I don't want or need it at 60+ in a shooter/racing game where it's only reducing the amount of information available

/e: It's basically the opposite side of hating motion smoothing (gently caress motion smoothing), just give me the raw data.

stringless fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 3, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've never been able to have motion blur on without it making me feel sick as hell, same for a lot of my friends. I don't actually know a single person IRL or who I regularly game with who leaves it turned on.

So there's definitely an argument for "if its doing what its supposed to be doing, why is the experience so much worse for so many people with it on".

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I just bought Nienix, a game that left early access less than two weeks ago, that's a pretty good space ARPG/looter shooter. By default, this game which just left early access less than two weeks ago starts in fullscreen instead of borderless fullscreen.

There's no loving telling why people keep making these incredibly dunb decisions.

/e: it's got a free demo but if it's possible to move saves it's manual

stringless fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 3, 2023

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FFT posted:

I just bought Nienix, a game that left early access less than two weeks ago, that's a pretty good space ARPG/looter shooter. By default, this game which just left early access less than two weeks ago starts in fullscreen instead of borderless fullscreen.

There's no loving telling why people keep making these incredibly dunb decisions.

Doesn't fullscreen give better performance than borderless fullscreen? I could see wanting it to launch that way because you can't be sure how it's going to run on any given PC setup

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Len posted:

Doesn't fullscreen give better performance than borderless fullscreen?

It's very, very marginal these days.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

dogstile posted:

I've never been able to have motion blur on without it making me feel sick as hell, same for a lot of my friends. I don't actually know a single person IRL or who I regularly game with who leaves it turned on.

So there's definitely an argument for "if its doing what its supposed to be doing, why is the experience so much worse for so many people with it on".

I guess I'm part of the small demographic who likes motion blur? Crysis 1 and Warhead had excellent motion blur, but I can't easily recall other games where I had a positive or negative reaction to motion blur. I always leave it on but don't notice it in particular.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

FFT posted:

I especially enjoy games starting with a real-time rendered video with the graphics settings either on a 160x120 resolution or UltraSuper500%UpscalingHD-1024xMSXAA-RTX-16k-textures settings resulting in 0.02 fps and then preventing me to get into the menu until it is over. Bonus for no frame skipping & audio artifacts.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Len posted:

Doesn't fullscreen give better performance than borderless fullscreen? I could see wanting it to launch that way because you can't be sure how it's going to run on any given PC setup
Not enough to matter or justify the annoyance of how much more time it takes switching back and forth or having no visibility on the game while taking a moment to complain about the inconvenience of old-school fullscreen

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

traditional fullscreen no longer exists in newer games that use DX12, it's all borderless now

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

RabbitWizard posted:

I especially enjoy games starting with a real-time rendered video with the graphics settings either on a 160x120 resolution or UltraSuper500%UpscalingHD-1024xMSXAA-RTX-16k-textures settings resulting in 0.02 fps and then preventing me to get into the menu until it is over. Bonus for no frame skipping & audio artifacts.
A few games I've played recently let me turn subtitles on before they started showing opening cinematics, and holy poo poo why was this not always how it worked!?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Why are subtitles not on by default nowadays?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Commander Keene posted:

Why are subtitles not on by default nowadays?

Are subtitles a game option, a sound option, a graphics option, or an accessibility option?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FFT posted:

Hey guys I just bought Skyrim AE finally the last edition in addition to SE so I can mod the steam version properly this is the right place to talk about games we bought right? Because I wish I’d stuck to pirating it or just left it at SE. They’re never going to update some things to AE so some conversion/guides will never work right.

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

Are subtitles a game option, a sound option, a graphics option, or an accessibility option?

:thunkgun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Waffleman_ posted:

Yes

Legitimately just put it in every single menu, gently caress it.