Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I remember the last time I did UO, I had a three day park hopper, and all I did the third day was run around like a dumbass trying to get all my rerides. Way too stressful, never doing that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word
Someone is going to come along and do all the parks and also Castaway Cay in 13 days, then how is he going to feel???

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This guy's page sounds like he goes constantly anyway, and has done similar smaller scale challenges (like Parkeology) already.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Lol

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
:stonklol:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mr. Frictionsheets' challenge sounds like hell and I would rather die than even attempt to do it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
so uh...I am probably moving BACK to the Orlando area sometime in the next few months.

Is the Annual Pass situation for Disney still stupid?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

so uh...I am probably moving BACK to the Orlando area sometime in the next few months.

Is the Annual Pass situation for Disney still stupid?

Yep. You can only buy a weekday pass with a ton of blockout dates atm.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can upgrade on renewal, but that’s it for now.

Also my condolences.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Me and my dad did all of HHN in one night super loving drunk. + the mummy

I should get a prize

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Nanigans posted:

Yep. You can only buy a weekday pass with a ton of blockout dates atm.
Honestly I think there are fewer blackout dates on that pass than there were three years ago.

Basically they gave you back the mid-June through mid-August chunk, but took away large holidays.
Not sure I’d go to WDW in July anyway, though.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
… I would totally do the every ride every park challenge.

Definitely not anytime soon though, bringing a toddler along on that would be insane.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I think September is the hottest there, comparing Labor Day to mid July.

Long live the 50th - May you live on sweetly in our memories

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
September it gets to normal people temps, it’s August that’s really brutal.

Don’t get me wrong, the first couple weeks can be pretty unbearable, but once you get into HHN season it’s okay. Still loving rains every other day though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
code:
High °F	Low °F	Month	
78 - 60	66 - 36	January	
81 - 64	68 - 40	February	
83 - 69	70 - 45	March	
87 - 75	73 - 52	April	
91 - 82	77 - 60	May	
93 - 86	80 - 67	June	
94 - 88	81 - 69	July	
94 - 88	81 - 69	August	
93 - 86	80 - 65	September	
89 - 79	78 - 54	October	
84 - 70	73 - 43	November	
80 - 63	69 - 39	December	
87 - 77	75 - 53	Entire Year
Sept is not really any better. You might get lucky with a day or two here and there but generally its still butt.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah it’s still hot in September but there’s something about that summer afternoon sun bouncing off concrete that feels brutal. Could all be in my head.

Edit: lol also it’s almost 90 in Orlando right now.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah it’s still hot in September but there’s something about that summer afternoon sun bouncing off concrete that feels brutal. Could all be in my head.

Edit: lol also it’s almost 90 in Orlando right now.

it's going to be 90 here this week and I crave death*. (not actually but still, guh)

I can take my service dog to orlando between November and mid March and that's about it. I dunno how the dogs survive it in summer.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I’m going first week of June. Probably going with the rope drop/lunch at pool/evening at park method.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Me and my dad did all of HHN in one night super loving drunk. + the mummy

I should get a prize

I did this by myself last year. I'm a friendly extroverted drunk so I would just shoot the poo poo with random folks. It was a really fun time. I tend to find the people who attend HHN to be either extremely friendly or completely unbearable with zero in-between.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Douchebag posted:

I’m going first week of June. Probably going with the rope drop/lunch at pool/evening at park method.

Still the best way to go. The parks are busiest mid-day and the afternoon sun through much of the year in Florida is brutal.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Still the best way to go. The parks are busiest mid-day and the afternoon sun through much of the year in Florida is brutal.

It’s the method I’ve used since my son was 4 (he’s 15 now). It makes the day more enjoyable overall and reduces the stress the heat causes. Might have a few days where it doesn’t work out this way this trip due to Genie and Virtual Queues etc but we will see.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
My wife and I are going back to Disney World alone after having gone in December with our 2 kids. We are approaching our 60 day reservation mark for the trip in June and honestly we weren’t super impressed with our dinner choices last time. We did all the major places and had lunch and dinner booked almost every day for six days.

Sooo we’re thinking of just booking a couple places and just doing quick serve or going with the flow every day.

Is this a good idea or should we try and book as much as possible to save the headache of fighting crowds lol.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
The cancellation window is now 2 hours, not a whole day. There's no risk in booking now and canceling later - but you may not be able to book something you'd love to do if you wait.

There are tons of great non reservation options- eating around the world at Epcot or doing all the lounges on the Monorail (Trader Sam's, Enchanted Rose, etx) are both great options easier for just adults. What dinner places did you not like last time?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Disappointing Pie posted:

My wife and I are going back to Disney World alone after having gone in December with our 2 kids. We are approaching our 60 day reservation mark for the trip in June and honestly we weren’t super impressed with our dinner choices last time. We did all the major places and had lunch and dinner booked almost every day for six days.

Sooo we’re thinking of just booking a couple places and just doing quick serve or going with the flow every day.

Is this a good idea or should we try and book as much as possible to save the headache of fighting crowds lol.

I’m team go with the flow. We’ve cut way back on sit down meals at WDW. Very few in park restaurants are worth it anyway so no huge loss. I don’t like eating big meals when I’m all hot and sweaty and running around. We like to graze/snack.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. More QSR's have mobile ordering. While not always the case, a few of the sit down joints have QSR versions. Limited menu compared, but they'll have some good stuff for sure.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Akileese posted:

I did this by myself last year. I'm a friendly extroverted drunk so I would just shoot the poo poo with random folks. It was a really fun time. I tend to find the people who attend HHN to be either extremely friendly or completely unbearable with zero in-between.

I feel like this describes most adult theme park guests without children.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Which places did you go that you weren't impressed with?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

Which places did you go that you weren't impressed with?

A lot of the more recommended ones it seemed lol?

We did: Ohana, Tusker House, Garden Grill, Boma, Chef Mickey, 50s Prime Time, Cinderellas Royal Table, Be Our Guest, Yak and Yetti, Whispering Canyon and maybe a couple others?

I am far from a foodie. But honestly I wasn’t very impressed with the actual food at very many of them at all. Many seemed to overly rely on an African / middle eastern theme, maybe that was our poor choices too lol. But it seemed there was a lot of repetition in the meals. We didn’t have any awful meals just none of them really blew us away.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

We did: Ohana, Tusker House, Garden Grill, Boma, Chef Mickey, 50s Prime Time, Cinderellas Royal Table, Be Our Guest, Yak and Yetti, Whispering Canyon and maybe a couple others?

I am far from a foodie. But honestly I wasn’t very impressed with the actual food at very many of them at all. Many seemed to overly rely on an African / middle eastern theme, maybe that was our poor choices too lol. But it seemed there was a lot of repetition in the meals. We didn’t have any awful meals just none of them really blew us away.

What time of day did you do Tusker House, Garden Grill, Be Our Guest, and Boma?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

What time of day did you do Tusker House, Garden Grill, Be Our Guest, and Boma?

Tusker was lunch, the rest were dinner meals.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

If you didn't like them, that's fine. Everyone has their preferences. Did you check the menus beforehand so you knew what you were getting into?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

I don't think you're going to ever be blown away by disney meals. They've gotten significantly better but nothing along the lines of what you'll get in foodie towns like New York, Chicago, etc.

A lot of the places you went to are churn and burn places with characters. That likely didn't help as there is less of a focus on food but on experience.

Some places at springs are legit great - Jaleo and Wine Bar George are up there. I think Skipper Canteen and Flying Fish are worth checking out closer to the parks. Steakhouse 71 is good for the price. Or just do quick service and epcot booths and not care/pay as much.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you didn't like them, that's fine. Everyone has their preferences. Did you check the menus beforehand so you knew what you were getting into?

For sure and we definitely did and wanted to try new things. It just wasn’t that great for the price we were paying. We did have some great quick serve places though. And some of the food was solid, most of the meats were really good at most places.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hold on, this is the conversation subject and no one is going to make the username joke?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The disappointing pies are at Diagon Alley.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tracks with our experience visiting WDW to be honest. There are only 3 sit down restaurants outside of Disney Springs that I'll pay for these days. California Grill, Tusker House breakfast, and Le Cellier. Le Cellier is usually a pass for me, it's just a steakhouse and I can grill a better steak at home, and I'm spoiled for choice when it comes to steakhouses in Texas. My wife and our traveling companions love the place, so we generally go once a trip.

Ohana has gone downhill the last few years. It's supposedly getting better. It was really good and worth it in like 2015/2016. 2018 it was just alright and we haven't been back since. Skipped it in 2019, 2020 and 2022. Supposedly it's better than it was.

Now Disney Springs has some really good restaurants. Morimoto Asia and Jaleo by Jose Andres are two that I recommend without reservation. D-Luxe burger is a fantastic QSR. This might make someone cranky but I find Chef Art Smith's to be way overrated, but I'm from the south and picky about southern food. Most people think it's pretty good.

Outside of V&A and California Grill, none of the food is really worth the price. I have a formula I use to see determine if a restaurant is "worth it" at WDW.

I assume a meal to be 50% more expensive because it's on property. So Boma dinner is 54 plus tax and tip. Call it 70 bucks give or take. Would I be disappointed if I paid 35 dollars for this meal somewhere other than Disney World? If the answer is yes, we stop going there. If the answer is no, we leave it on the OK list.

Character meals I do the same thing with, but I split the 50% in half again, so 25% of the cost. I figure 50% for being on property, and another 25% for being a character meal. So would I be disappointed with this meal if I paid 25% of this somewhere other than Disney World? Let's just say the only character dining we do anymore is Tusker House breakfast. CRT and Akershus breakfast both failed this test. CRT is the worst offender of a one and done.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I have reservations for Yak and Yeti next trip—never been. I feel like the people in my party will like it, but I’m struggling to find anything outside of the sushi bowl that sounds appetizing. I’m just not at all a fan of salty+sweet, and seemingly all the dishes are basically that. I’ll be fine with the bowl, but I honestly would probably prefer the Nomad Lounge.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

skipdogg posted:

This might make someone cranky but I find Chef Art Smith's to be way overrated, but I'm from the south and picky about southern food. Most people think it's pretty good.
FWIW I’m not from the south and I found it to be mediocre.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Nanigans posted:

I have reservations for Yak and Yeti next trip—never been. I feel like the people in my party will like it, but I’m struggling to find anything outside of the sushi bowl that sounds appetizing. I’m just not at all a fan of salty+sweet, and seemingly all the dishes are basically that. I’ll be fine with the bowl, but I honestly would probably prefer the Nomad Lounge.

In my experience, Yak and Yeti is basically just fancy mall chinese food, so salty + sweet is a pretty good description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
APs are back!