Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

duz posted:

Only if he's played by John de Lancie.

:dudsmile:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

duz posted:

Only if he's played by John de Lancie.

Yes!

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
But the FBI doesn't actually arrest murderers anymore...

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
New X Files has the agents pressuring teenage aliens into abducting humans.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Payndz posted:

Hell, the final revival series devoted a whole episode to how Mulder and his quest for the truth have become completely irrelevant in a post-truth world of dumbfuck rabbit-hole Q bullshit. And it was fantastic. (But then, it was a Darin Morgan script.)

"I'm FOX FREAKIN' MULDER, you punks!"

Yeah "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" kind of nailed it, including a general point that it's never rewarding to actually revisit your nostalgia and that people should just be willing to accept that things were tied to their moment in time.

Making it a stealth Fringe reboot could work well. As a few people pointed out, the 90s had some gnarly stuff alongside g-men and black helicopter stuff too that didn't necessarily infect the show. But the revival season tried to tap into the conspiracy theory mythos of today and ended up casting not-Alex Jones as a hero for shutting down a deadly vaccine plot (in a dream vision), so...tread carefully, I guess.

dr_rat posted:

Oh just noticed it's going to be a animated comedy thing by the guy who did that god awful Paradise PD dreck. So yeah it's going to be complete garbage.

That's apparently a separate project that's in development hell, which is probably where it belongs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was reporting recently that the animated X-Files spin off is officially dead.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It is kind of weird how alien abduction just kind of dropped right out of the culture between 9/11 and Obama. I’m tempted to do like a marxist reading of it as an expression of anxiety over the end-of-history era and its denial of politics as a tool capable of improving human life.

The X-Files is very interesting in that regard, insofar as politics is an entirely settled question there. I don’t think Mulder and Smoking Man actually disagree that 1990s capitalism is the only possible world.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Allen abduction was a lot of white guys being terrified of stuff being put in their butts

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shockingly a lot of alien abduction/sightings stopped once everyone started carrying cameras with them at all times.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m tempted to do like a marxist reading of it as an expression of anxiety over the end-of-history era and its denial of politics as a tool capable of improving human life.

Do it, you coward. Give in to the temptation

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

precision posted:

Allen abduction was a lot of white guys being terrified of stuff being put in their butts

Poor Allen

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

precision posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tZar4wRP40

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

precision posted:

Like most alien stuff, it mostly boils down to "What if aliens treated us the way we treated minorities?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

muscles like this! posted:

There was reporting recently that the animated X-Files spin off is officially dead.

I was gonna say that'd be awesome if they did it like the old Men In Black animated series, but then lol'd remembering The Springfield Files happened and may be canon.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Like most alien stuff, it mostly boils down to "What if aliens treated us the way we treated minorities?"

More like what if aliens do stuff to me that I don't want to admit I want done to me?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Alien abduction stories started to dry up once Sleep Paralysis started to enter the public consciousness as a relatively understood phenomenon

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ghost stories, too. I remember a friend was convinced he was in a haunted house after hurricane Katrina because he had hour long nightmares in five minutes of sleep, three times in a row. That's not magic, you're just having nightmares, they don't happen in real time!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, as someone who has experienced panic attacks that are practically hallucinatory, it's very easy to understand how someone expeiencing that would justify it as supernatural.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I was in a skepticism group in college as a thing to do and I remember while preparing a presentation I read a paper that was fairly confident that sleep paralysis was 95%+ of demonic possessions, UFO abductions, and ghost encounters. The main thing I remember is the graph of these things over time as movies came out, which was their attempt to show that the total amount of these things was always pretty similar but the ratio at which they appeared was heavily influenced by pop culture.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TTBF posted:

I was in a skepticism group in college as a thing to do and I remember while preparing a presentation I read a paper that was fairly confident that sleep paralysis was 95%+ of demonic possessions, UFO abductions, and ghost encounters. The main thing I remember is the graph of these things over time as movies came out, which was their attempt to show that the total amount of these things was always pretty similar but the ratio at which they appeared was heavily influenced by pop culture.

This is just because demons, Aliens, and Ghosts like messing with people when they have sleep paralysis obviously.

Next time any of you have sleep paralysis, remember this! :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

TTBF posted:

Yeah, I was into Skepticism stuff closely for a long time too (don't have the time to follow it super closely anymore) and it's pretty interesting if you like nerd stuff and feeling like a buzzkill :). Sleep paralysis ties into a bunch of old fables, like the Old Hag, and people just sort of adapt it to whatever is happening at the time. There are also interesting things like "possessions" in other cultures being wildly different. For example, in at list one region it was just an evil spirit forcing you to treat yourself to a nice day off, since it will only leave if you're relaxed and happy. You also had stories of alien zeppelins showing up before people conceived of modern UFOs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_airship.

Tech is a big part of it. Ghost and cryptids took a bad hit because of the prevalence of cell phone cameras. The "wow and you didn't record any of this?" factor was just too much. Although judging from a few videos I've watched, idiots falling for incredibly lame hoax videos is bringing them back. On the flip side, UFOs are having a little resurgence because of cellphones being able to capture all the weird crap that's in the sky.

At the same time, I wouldn't really say that they ever went away. Plenty of TV shows, conventions and communities for Ghost, Cryptid and UFO people, I think they just tend to stick to themselves online and people just don't sit around and watch History/Discovery/Travel Channel/Sci-Fi marathons like they used to.

dr_rat posted:

This is just because demons, Aliens, and Ghosts like messing with people when they have sleep paralysis obviously.

Next time any of you have sleep paralysis, remember this! :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

There is a whole school of thought that all the sleep paralysis throughout time stuff is in fact simply proof that aliens have been with us this whole time and they take on whatever form we are capable of understanding.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

... and they take on whatever form we are capable of understanding.

So, David Morse.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I feel like aliens specifically stopped being a fear because futurism became more and more seen as the only thing that can save us and what's a little butt stuff, clearly the little green men are superior technologically so they must be doing something right. Don't get me started on our misplaced worship of Elon Musk

Plus each generation is less religious and the bible is full of supreme others who are kinda dicks. See God in the book of Job. How is that cool but all of a sudden secular aliens doing it is horrifying?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

But God hasn't kidnapped men and did butt stuff on them (that I know of).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Enoch

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What is death but permanent kidnapping?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

There is a whole school of thought that all the sleep paralysis throughout time stuff is in fact simply proof that aliens have been with us this whole time and they take on whatever form we are capable of understanding.

Chances are that if humanity ever does encounter intelligent life, it'll take a form that is absolutely, well, alien to us and we won't recognize it as such. Like hyper intelligent shades of blue that communicate along spectrums we can't even perceive, or space whales

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Chairman Capone posted:

Also notable that both Timothy McVeigh and Chris Carter were radicalized into their conspiracy views from reading Behold a Pale Horse.

Piers Anthony has a lot to answer for.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1641192749574631424?s=20
https://twitter.com/theJaybrody/status/1640540870935187458?s=20

lol that this movie is trending of all things

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"I was his body guard, buy which I mean I was not his body guard, and he fired me for looking him in the eye, by which I mean I was fired and also had looked at him."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can definitely believe Mike Myers has done terrible things

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Well yeah, he made the Love Guru and The Cat in the Hat movie

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Love Guru is really funny for the fact that that of all things was his big passion project and it basically ended his career. Other than cameos the only things he's done since were Shrek 4 immediately after, and then The Pentaverate last year which I don't think anyone I know is even aware of.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Are there any examples of actor/directors big passion projects not immediately being complete failures?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The Pentaverate seems like it was deliberately buried.

From the 2 clips I saw, for a good reason.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Remulak posted:

The Pentaverate seems like it was deliberately buried.

From the 2 clips I saw, for a good reason.
I saw those as well and I was amazed that anyone was still giving Myers money to make his projects

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Beachcomber posted:

Are there any examples of actor/directors big passion projects not immediately being complete failures?

I can only think of animated ones. GDT's Pinocchio was in development for at least 10 years. Phil Tippet had been trying to make Mad God for even longer.

I guess James Cameron was trying to get Avatar made since the 90s and I understand that was something of a success.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sourdough Sam posted:

I can only think of animated ones. GDT's Pinocchio was in development for at least 10 years. Phil Tippet had been trying to make Mad God for even longer.

I guess James Cameron was trying to get Avatar made since the 90s and I understand that was something of a success.

Pretty sure Titanic was also his passion project.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure Titanic was also his passion project.
It’s all passion projects with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Beachcomber posted:

I feel like Nolan and Memento is a success story.