Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

I thought people were making a mountain out of a mole hill about the map until I looked up a comparison video. That is a bummer on one hand because botw's beauty was with the exploration and wonder. I'm sure there's tons of new stuff to see but I guess it makes sense if this is truly a sequel. It's weird for the franchise but it's still Zelda and I'm sure I'll like it no matter what anyway.

Oh I thought everyone was goofing and joking. Not even a little bit worried and stuff like this is why games shouldn't even show footage until the game is practically available for sale. How fun a game is half the game and half you, and you're never doing yourself favours idly dwelling on potential disappointments or impastabowl expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

RareAcumen posted:

Can't believe they reused the map. Standard game development is to scrap all code and tear down your office and start fresh. No reusing code, hire new employees, nothing from the last game carries over

With all the cave stuff, I thought they were going to take the base geometry of the map and flip it both horizontally & vertically. So instead of Hebra Mountain in the north west, it would be Hebra Crater in the south east, etc.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Oh I thought everyone was goofing and joking. Not even a little bit worried and stuff like this is why games shouldn't even show footage until the game is practically available for sale. How fun a game is half the game and half you, and you're never doing yourself favours idly dwelling on potential disappointments or impastabowl expectations.

My brother refuses to watch any trailers and especially demos. He just peordered it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I mean they got this whole new cave gimmick, so maybe there's caves everywhere now. An entire vast underworld. All kinds of friggin dungeons. You see they buried the dungeons. The Zonai built them to gently caress Link back before Zelda 1.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Well since they showed the whole game in the few trailers and the extremely small amount of cutscenes I will not be buying this game. More like Failda: Tears of the Exact Same Game.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Link could play a bass guitar to summon his elephant.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I think I picked up the bass when I was 13 because Japas was just so cool

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just canceled my preorder, because I can't believe they are releasing the game in this state. I was watching the 10 minutes of gameplay, and apparently this game is so broken that it just randomly jumps to different parts of the game randomly? Like he's bashing those things with a stick rock and then suddenly the game glitches and then he's building a raft? That's unacceptable.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I decided to give master mode a go before tears comes out. This is significantly harder than I thought it'd be. Well taking enemies head on is. "Hit da bricks" and "bomb off cliff" strategy got me through most of the plateau. Now I'm just snagging shrines and other things I don't need to fight enemies head on for. Slowly gathering power. Sneak attacks seem to waste monsters all quick like.

I steam-plat'd Elden Ring I can do this, right?!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I found the start of master mode to just be too frustrating. I'm using two sticks on a bokoblin and getting one stick in return. I just gave up.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

I found the start of master mode to just be too frustrating. I'm using two sticks on a bokoblin and getting one stick in return. I just gave up.

Key was realizing you don't actually have to kill any of them or the ones you do can be bombed/smacked off a cliff.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

I decided to give master mode a go before tears comes out. This is significantly harder than I thought it'd be. Well taking enemies head on is. "Hit da bricks" and "bomb off cliff" strategy got me through most of the plateau. Now I'm just snagging shrines and other things I don't need to fight enemies head on for. Slowly gathering power. Sneak attacks seem to waste monsters all quick like.

Not until you can do the Trial of the Sword on Master Mode.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I'm also doing Master Mode for the first time

I don't mind health regen, but I do mind how aggressive it is. Knocking enemies away ends up being a net negative because they're far enough way to start regenerating. just like... give me a few more seconds!

It's fun to avoid enemies. even a Lynel is weak to the strategy of "turn tail and run away"

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I don't know why they ripped off the narrator from Stanley Parable. And they hosed up the audio tracks so sometimes you hear a Japanese voice under the English one?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Anybody else curious why Link can just go about a fuse whatever the hell he wants?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

zonai wizard did it

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Khanstant posted:

I thought people were joking like it was the same map which I didn't expect to actually be true. :v: I think it'll be fine if it's familiar but different enough. I probably forgot half the poo poo anyway by now. I replayed twilight princess recently for the first time since it released and it was playing a brand new game. Granted that's like 15 years but still. :corsair:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Shiroc posted:

The Shadow Temple is kinda presented as "the place that Sheikah tortured and executed the enemies of the Royal Family" so it wouldn't be entirely out of place for them to have some bad elements.
yeah the shiekah kinda flip flop back and forth a bit throughout the games

in Skyward Sword, they're implied to be warrior monks and dedicated worshipers of The Goddess Hylia™. In Ocarina of Time, they're the pet assassin clan of the royal family. In Twilight Princess, they're largely wiped out with the exception of that one old lady. In BotW they're the scientists and eccentrics, but the Yiga clan is a direct offshoot from them - the game claims that it happened at the same time as the initial calamity 10,000 years prior but A: thats such a ridiculously long time gap that even suspension of disbelief can't fix, and B: the evidence is contradictory.*

Also even if theyre nice in BotW, they are still the people who sell you the ninja stealth armor, and in the final memory cutscene there's a pair of them in combat armor acting as zelda's retainers. They're still the same ninja clan, just much more low-key about it. King Rhoam probably didn't have a torture dungeon. Probably.

*Impa claims that the Yiga split off because 10,000 years ago, the king of hyrule was like "hey i find your tech levels to be inherently suspicious and im exiling all of you because of it", and the schism happened because some were like "okay but what if we just got rid of the tech and became ninjas rice farmers, is that cool?" and some others were like "gently caress you, king shithead, we didn't want to be part of your government anyways!!" If we assume this to be true, then it makes no sense for the yiga to be at the exact same tech level of everyone else. Even if it degraded from lack of resources, they should still have something. Given the shared iconography and continued bad blood between the two groups, it's more likely that the split happened maybe a generation or two before impa. Hyrule is just really loving bad at keeping historical records even when they aren't being ravaged by apocalyptic doom boars.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

I thought people were joking like it was the same map which I didn't expect to actually be true. :v: I think it'll be fine if it's familiar but different enough. I probably forgot half the poo poo anyway by now. I replayed twilight princess recently for the first time since it released and it was playing a brand new game. Granted that's like 15 years but still. :corsair:

The last map didn't have any floating islands (and probably underground stuff) everywhere so even if the base map was truly untouched there'd still be plenty to explore I think

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

*Impa claims that the Yiga split off because 10,000 years ago, the king of hyrule was like "hey i find your tech levels to be inherently suspicious and im exiling all of you because of it", and the schism happened because some were like "okay but what if we just got rid of the tech and became ninjas rice farmers, is that cool?" and some others were like "gently caress you, king shithead, we didn't want to be part of your government anyways!!" If we assume this to be true, then it makes no sense for the yiga to be at the exact same tech level of everyone else. Even if it degraded from lack of resources, they should still have something. Given the shared iconography and continued bad blood between the two groups, it's more likely that the split happened maybe a generation or two before impa. Hyrule is just really loving bad at keeping historical records even when they aren't being ravaged by apocalyptic doom boars.

They were very distracted by bananas. The enlightened Sheikah have overcome such worldly desires and thus were able to successfully steal tech from the Zonai and claim it as their own.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Impa was my second favorite in both Hyrule Warriors games because she was such a ridiculous fighting beast. Shiekah exist to pose and murder the gently caress out of the enemies of the Royals.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Mustached Demon posted:

In master mode you will still be able to break it two by late game and be OP, easily.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Blaziken386 posted:

King Rhoam probably didn't have a torture dungeon. Probably.

Hyrule Castle literally has a dungeon in the basement.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mister Facetious posted:

Hyrule Castle literally has a dungeon in the basement.

not all dungeons are torture dungeons! I think!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Why is this $70 wtf nintendo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ninjoatse.cx posted:

$35 per cutscene.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

qbert spotted

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

In master mode you will still be able to break it two by late game and be OP, easily.

It's been a while since I've done a playthrough but I remember dunking on guardians with the master sword. No elixers or food, just the sword and guardian armor. Nothing was really hard once the various boss gimmicks clicked.

My key's gonna be not sucking at lynels enough to get the armor upgrades.

Edit: got the phantom armor and regular trash enemies are easy. I can actually clear camps!

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 1, 2023

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Personally, Marvel's Spiderman on PS4 was unplayable garbage and only worth $10 at most because it was set on a map I was already familiar with, New York City

No it doesnt matter that it apparently had "phenomenal gameplay" and "lots to do" and "many surprises" - i already knew going in that central park was north of the empire state buiulding and i couldnt fuckin play that trash

should have been dlc for google maps

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I fail to see the problem with the world map being reused, it's a huge loving map and I will call bullshit on anyone who is familiar with every single nook and cranny, for me I am interested in seeing how familiar territory has been changed over the years since BOTW and what's now waiting for me there.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

I will call bullshit on anyone who is familiar with every single nook and cranny

Normally I'd agree with you, but I've seen some people just absolutely destroy Hyrule Guessr, and that's just the people putting that on youtube.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Just get one of those e-shop vouchers and use it on this game and another game you want.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
the idea of going through the same huge, well designed world but there's totally different poo poo in it gives me a raging hard-on, no irony

I hope BotW 3 is in the same place too, I want to watch Hyrule expand and build and become a high tech metropolis, growing and evolving every game while Link expands his adventures to the dungeons and the seas and other dimensions and poo poo

the thought of it going from a Zelda 1-esque wasteland in the first game to having a Hyrule Space Program in future games, oh my god, I need it, someone buy me a switch

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Judge Tesla posted:

I fail to see the problem with the world map being reused, it's a huge loving map and I will call bullshit on anyone who is familiar with every single nook and cranny, for me I am interested in seeing how familiar territory has been changed over the years since BOTW and what's now waiting for me there.

I dunno man, a huge part of the whole experience is new ways to get lost and new poo poo to gawk at, amd nothing we've been shown really seems to suggest that there's a whole new game's worth of new stuff to do so with.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

They've spent 5 years on it. Gonna give them benefit of the doubt that there's plenty of new content.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Tears of the Fin-dom

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I dunno man, a huge part of the whole experience is new ways to get lost and new poo poo to gawk at, amd nothing we've been shown really seems to suggest that there's a whole new game's worth of new stuff to do so with.

I’ve reported this post to Nintendo and they’re not gonna allow you to buy the game now.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

There's a whole rear end Sky Kingdom above Hyrule op, and possibly below too if fans' speculation were to turn out to be true. Not to mention the new gameplay mechanics they just showed us and these are just what little we know of the game so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

the elusive third cutscene