Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Problem with the zero suit is I dont want loving nerds looking at my space waifu that way

One if the zero mission endings shows her in a gold colored getup and she's sitting at a counter of what looks like a bar (with an alien bartender), so presumably that's what she wears when she goes out for the night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Asterite34 posted:

Samus should have stuck with the bike shorts and tank top look, she used to dress like she was gonna go clubbing in a space-disco out of an 80s scifi anime and that's a somewhat novel aesthetic these days compared to spandex mecha plugsuit

While I really like the idea of the zero suit and an interface to the actual suit,

the bike shorts look is absolutely the best of samus's 2d death sprites

e:
also the zero suit should have better footwear. She's got nice sturdy boots in Metroid and Super and Fusion and she always should.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Old Bird: Hatchling!!! You think you're going out dressed like that????

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The zero suit is okay but it's usually just an excuse for Samus to be in a skin tight outfit with like size G breasts. Give me a loving buff Samus that looks like she could rip a Space Pirate's head off even without her suit.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'm giving Metroid 2 an honest try for the first time in the NSO but man... I'm dying without a map. As a kid I beat Metroid 1 but I only had a few games and endless time then.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

MokBa posted:

The zero suit is okay but it's usually just an excuse for Samus to be in a skin tight outfit with like size G breasts. Give me a loving buff Samus that looks like she could rip a Space Pirate's head off even without her suit.

It's a blatant thirst trap. Shes a one woman army who regularly spends days in caves murdering aliens so hard the planet explodes. She should be scarier without the helmet.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i for one am terrified of blondes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
she just reminds me of very bad AGDQ posters

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Electromax posted:

I'm giving Metroid 2 an honest try for the first time in the NSO but man... I'm dying without a map. As a kid I beat Metroid 1 but I only had a few games and endless time then.

here's a few tips which you can discover yourself (I did), but will help with mapless navigation if you just want to skip the discovery process:
  • The "spine" of the planet, where the falling acid is and where the heroic music plays, is a place you only ever visit between zones. You use it as a road between major areas, and only go back to it after all metroids in an area are dead. It is almost completely linear.
  • Each zone is designed as a big cave containing chozo ruins, with chozo rooms going inward, and tunnels going outward. The different chozo rooms and the different tunnels don't connect to each other--it's completely a hub-and-spoke system. Once you finish exploring a path off of the cave, you can safely forget everything down that path--just remember that you've been there
  • There's some exceptions, but for the most part, most upgrades are in the ruins, and most metroids are in the tunnels

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Great Beer posted:

It's a blatant thirst trap. Shes a one woman army who regularly spends days in caves murdering aliens so hard the planet explodes. She should be scarier without the helmet.

she's a lazy millennial leaning on inherited wealth (space bird superweapons) to maintain an unjust advantage over the common man

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The Nintendo Power cross section Samus is the best zero suit imo. She should probably have some sort of shoes in there though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It doesn't really gel with the canon but I like the idea of Samus basically piloting the Varia suit rather than wearing it and physically moving it around. By this point that Dread rolls around she is basically a human-bird-metroid hybrid and the latter aren't known for their physical prowess. Essentially the suit is less her controlling it with her huge Amazonian body and more that the suit is basically holding her together.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MokBa posted:

I got you fam

I just googled “buff samus”

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Zero Mission is 100% ruined for me by the sealed upgrades. I get they wanted to make the suit upgrade feel special ...
That's not why they did it though.

The three "Unknown Items" simply didn't exist in the original Metroid, and as a remake of that game they wanted Samus's abilities to mostly match up through the Mother Brain fight and escape. (Yeah sure she has super missiles and the speed booster too.)

Then yes once those items are unlocked it gives incentive to explore the original areas post-escape and just tear though them with screw attack space jump.

I mean, sure, they could've just given them at the end of the game too but the whole Unknown Item bit adds mystery to it, and anyone who played both OG and Super Metroid would recognize the iconography and know what those items were, but since the whole post-escape stealth segment was actually a surprise, you were left wondering what they were going to do with all that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Electromax posted:

Metroid II's map fundamentally doesn't work the way OG Metroid does. You're basically only ever scouring relatively small areas at one time, and while you can backtrack at any point there's no need to except in one well sign-posted instance. For the most part you're just moving forward killing Metroids, and not supposed to think too hard about exactly where you are in the twisty caverns.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The only thing that bugs me about the zero suit is the "combat heels" they gave her in Smash Bros. That's not canon imo.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
tbf ness and fox's movesets aren't even 'canon' (fox's moves besides the blaster is poo poo he does in the arwing)

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Electromax posted:

Draw one.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

CuddleCryptid posted:

It doesn't really gel with the canon but I like the idea of Samus basically piloting the Varia suit rather than wearing it and physically moving it around. By this point that Dread rolls around she is basically a human-bird-metroid hybrid and the latter aren't known for their physical prowess. Essentially the suit is less her controlling it with her huge Amazonian body and more that the suit is basically holding her together.

That’s the way I think of it, kind of like how she transforms into spirit energy when inside the morph ball. It’s similar to inside the suit, where her body isn’t actually doing those movements. I can’t imagine someone’s body doing okay after an insane amount of flipping, running extremely fast and shine sparking.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Wait are you guys telling me that Smash Bros isn't canon to all the games??

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Good Sphere posted:

That’s the way I think of it, kind of like how she transforms into spirit energy when inside the morph ball. It’s similar to inside the suit, where her body isn’t actually doing those movements. I can’t imagine someone’s body doing okay after an insane amount of flipping, running extremely fast and shine sparking.

That is part of it, but I more mean in the sense that she has so much incompatible DNA in her now that the suit is basically her body now. She certainly has some sort of bio-link with the suit seeing that her DNA transformed it into a metroid suit at the end of Dread. If you fully took her suit off she's basically flop onto the ground and possibly die.

Of course that's entirely disproven by being able to see her face in Dread, and the fact that she has a body that can still put on ridiculous amounts of mascara just like she did in Prime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's not why they did it though.

The three "Unknown Items" simply didn't exist in the original Metroid, and as a remake of that game they wanted Samus's abilities to mostly match up through the Mother Brain fight and escape. (Yeah sure she has super missiles and the speed booster too.)

Then yes once those items are unlocked it gives incentive to explore the original areas post-escape and just tear though them with screw attack space jump.

I mean, sure, they could've just given them at the end of the game too but the whole Unknown Item bit adds mystery to it, and anyone who played both OG and Super Metroid would recognize the iconography and know what those items were, but since the whole post-escape stealth segment was actually a surprise, you were left wondering what they were going to do with all that.

You pretty much shot your own point in the foot by pointing out they already added items you can use before that point.

Also there is about 5 minutes and one boss left by the time you get them. I'd rather it be treated like Hyper Beam/Metroid Suit/Ice Beam than locking powers off.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Xenomrph posted:

I got you fam

Samus is a Jojo

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Federation force team report in! Not bad, eh??

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Federation force team report in! Not bad, eh??

I dug it! I like how varied the missions are so far, it isn’t just “stomp around and shoot stuff” (although you do plenty of that too).

We’re playing again this evening at 8PM EST for anyone who wants the 4th player slot.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

I dug it! I like how varied the missions are so far, it isn’t just “stomp around and shoot stuff” (although you do plenty of that too).

We’re playing again this evening at 8PM EST for anyone who wants the 4th player slot.

:hellyeah:

Hope you guys stick with it. FYI there is a secret ending, which might have implications on the series. Maybe.

To get it, on Mission 17, all players must retrieve an egg

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WHY BONER NOW posted:

:hellyeah:

Hope you guys stick with it. FYI there is a secret ending, which might have implications on the series. Maybe.

To get it, on Mission 17, all players must retrieve an egg

When you say you all players, do you mean it can only be done with 4 people, with everyone retrieving an egg? Or could you do it with 2 players as long as both retrieve an egg?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

When you say you all players, do you mean it can only be done with 4 people, with everyone retrieving an egg? Or could you do it with 2 players as long as both retrieve an egg?

Internet says it's easy to do with one player, since you only need one egg. The secret ending is a post credits sequence.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xenomrph posted:

I got you fam

MMX when you go to Chill Penguin’s stage first

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MokBa posted:

Brick shithouse Samus best Samus.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Grace Baiting posted:

Samus is a Jojo

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

oh HELLLLLLLLLLLLLZ yes

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

『S H I N E S P A R K』

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I like the the Varia suit has its own abs.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MokBa posted:

I like the the Varia suit has its own abs.

To be fair so did the varia suit in Prime.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I don't know what a JoJo is but that's 1000 times better than the zero suit.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Great Beer posted:

I don't know what a JoJo is but that's 1000 times better than the zero suit.

This should clear it up: :v:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Samus needs more friends for Bizarre Adventures.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

The only thing they should bring back from Other M is Anthony, but make him full Jojo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

This should clear it up: :v:

RuPaul: The Anime?