Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

YouTubeTekReviewer posted:

I've seen plenty of praise for the 12 Monkeys show on the forums so I've had it on my list of shows to check out. After watching three seasons of Picard, though, I can't imagine it being anything but dog poo poo. Is anyone familiar enough with both shows to compare?

After season 2 of Picard, I binged 12 Monkeys because I wanted to know why everyone thought Terry Matalas was such hot poo poo. The first season was great, most of the second season was pretty alright, and then it went downhill from there as it started disappearing up its own rear end in a top hat with mystery boxes and "clever" twists.

I was in full hate-watch mode by the end of season 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

A.o.D. posted:

Exactly how would these fleets have gotten through the wormhole?

Assuming the Dominion even knew they were captured in the first place and not just killed. Hell, it can help explain why there are so many Changelings on the show. They found out after Vadic escaped, and enough of them went rogue that they can replace 80% of Starfleet.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Are the events of Sacrifice of Angels not a thing? If the Dominion wants to bring a fleet to the Alpha quadrant, they have to take the long way there.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
My assumption would be while they still can't bring fleets through the wormhole, they could probably sneak some individual Changelings through on merchant ships or something. That or the writers just didn't think about it... which is probably the actual explanation.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

My assumption would be while they still can't bring fleets through the wormhole, they could probably sneak some individual Changelings through on merchant ships or something. That or the writers just didn't think about it... which is probably the actual explanation.

Oh yeah, that's completely plausible, there just aren't going to be any howling hordes of Jem Hadar streaming through there without a damned good explanation.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Picard’s dog will end up being a Changeling working for Section 31.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Onomarchus posted:

So after kidding around about the Traveler and Wesley (a hobby of mine; try it yourself), it hit me last night that the talking head is probably a Pah Wraith. I imagine everyone realized this before me. Many reasons this works, but what I like best is that the unwise assembling of the Federation ships for the silly holiday is meant to be a parallel to how the Dominion assembled much of its fleet to pass through the wormhole, allowing the Prophets to wipe it out.

This probably makes Jack and Picard endowed with some Prophet/Emissary powers, and the "place" Vadic mentioned is either the Celestial Temple or the Fire Caves of Bajor. Not so hot on the ramifications for Picard, but I'll take it for a chance for this show to go back to DS9, the Celestial Temple, or especially the Fire Caves.

:lol:

Holy gently caress it's Gul Dukat in Pah Wraith form, because that's the dumbest loving thing imaginable, because this show seems to think Picard and Gul Dukat were enemies, even though they never loving met, that would be loving Gul Madred you absolute idiots.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

T.C. posted:

Yeah, having Picard and Crusher super quickly decide to shoot a prisoner seconds after Picard using "*I* didn't know" as a reason to dismiss war crimes was pretty bad.

Why did they capture her if they planned to kill her?

You also can't get emotional weight out of "we can't let Data die!" when this is already resurrection number two or three.

I love some masks style spiner but they really should have just made him be lore. This would be a lot more fun even if you just dropped lore into the existing script as the manic bad guy with B-movie over the top cackling spite as his motivation. Lore is trying to blow up a holiday in an overly complicated plan because he's angry and thinks it'll be funny and screw over some people? His personality and motivations make all sorts of nonsense pretty easy to write while still being a consistent story.

And I just realized while writing this that they keep trying to do Wrath of Khan with people that there's no emotional connection to. Lore on the other side would let Spiner go full melodramatic and fill the Stewart/Spiner thing they've been focusing on since the end of TNG. You can also write nonsense and still have it work because of who Lore is as a character.

Exactly! Why is Lore not the main antagonist of this season? He's like tailor made as a character to do Wrath of Lore.

That would require Terry and the writers to WATCH TNG though, and not play Mass Effect 3 and choose the blue ending.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This is all explained in the episode you didn't watch but continue to post about.

I don't need to watch Picard fully to think it's trash, because I can watch scenes if I want and go by what people are saying and explaining in this thread, "oh God the writing here sounds awful and does not remotely line up with established canon".

Like I don't know why you keep insisting people are invalid in criticizing if they don't watch the dumpsterfire directly. Like... no?

I don't need to watch Paul Blart Mall Cop to know it's poo poo. You can watch Picard and even like it if you want, and I can talk about the writing and reference infinitely better shows. Everyone wins :)

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 1, 2023

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

TulliusCicero posted:

I don't need to watch Picard fully to think it's trash, because I can watch scenes if I want and go by what people are saying and explaining in this thread, "oh God the writing here sounds awful and does not remotely line up with established canon".

Like I don't know why you keep insisting people are invalid in criticizing if they don't watch the dumpsterfire directly. Like... no?

I don't need to watch Paul Blart Mall Cop to know it's poo poo. You can watch Picard and even like it if you want, and I can talk about the writing and reference infinitely better shows. Everyone wins :)

it's fine to not want to watch a show, but you're also criticizing the imaginary show you're creating in your mind based on forums posts instead of the actual show, so it's understandable that people are going to question you when the thing you're complaining about wasn't in the show they watched

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

TulliusCicero posted:

I would say it's more bad in the way something like Moulin Rouge was bad. You know it's most likely going to be bad, but you've heard a few good reviews so maybe there's a chance.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Chairman posted:

it's fine to not want to watch a show, but you're also criticizing the imaginary show you're creating in your mind based on forums posts instead of the actual show, so it's understandable that people are going to question you when the thing you're complaining about wasn't in the show they watched

Fair point, I concede that.

It's more I'm vastly irritated with what (DISCO/ Picard) modern Trek writing has become, and the show that arguably should capture TNG's original vibe and writing is just seemingly woefully not up to the task, and it's utterly disappointing as someone who grew up watching TNG.

Like at least Shaw is great and the Titan Nebula stuff was fine (besides everything about Jack Crusher), I'll give it that. And Worf's reading off his titles like he's a dnd paladin. Hell I watched that stuff. I'm not above giving the show some props when they do something fun. I liked some of the Q stuff early on in an otherwise awful season 2.

I just want competent, trying to do their best Starfleet again. The new grimdark tone is dumb and does not fit the premise of TNG or Star Trek as a whole.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 1, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This is all explained in the episode you didn't watch but continue to post about.

It's really not, there's 9 captured ones but she has definitely linked with other ones, she said so.
The entirety of what they've done with these changelings doesn't fit how we know they work

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I laughed when there was an announcement in the background about the cadet duty schedule. Why a general announcement to the whole ship instead of just to the cadet's com badges? Why did Ro evacuate half the crew and leave the Titan with a skeleton crew, but leave behind some bloody cadets? Cadets are barely adults, don't send them on the suicide mission, Ro. You monster.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
When Vadic first arrived on board, she scanned for life signs and we saw there were dozens of them all over the ship.

First - uh, I thought there was only a skeleton crew? And why was everyone scattered all over the place?

Second - why was a Vulcan derelict blocking life signs in the first place? Do they just do that now?

But this leads me to my main point - if Vadic had a scanner strapped to her forearm, where did it go when she turned into meat goo?

Same with when she hid on the turbolift and took over the bridge - where did her weaponn vanish to?

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

Given that Vadic is both undetectable and able to pass it on, she may well have made dozens of trips through the wormhole and brought countless other undetectable Changelings back with her.

Edit: when Picard and Crusher figured out that the meat Changelings all have a specific isotope inside them, the first thing they should have done was to tell the computer to lock on to any signals containing that element and beam then into the warp core.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

While we're playing dumb resolutions roulette, I'll spin my wheel and the ball lands on:

The changeling experimentations were introductions to borg nanoprobes, trying to mix the two together to understand them. So these are like, instead of borgs that have learned how to assimilate changelings, it's more like 'changelings that have learned how to assimilate from the borg.' Jack is somehow a different kind of meta-borg because of Picard's spooge. The big bad is just a new character, because they thought it would be 'so cool' if instead of a Borg Queen, we had a Changeling King.

Hmm. It doesn't all add up, but since when was that a problem for Picard

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Edit: when Picard and Crusher figured out that the meat Changelings all have a specific isotope inside them, the first thing they should have done was to tell the computer to lock on to any signals containing that element and beam then into the warp core.

The radioactive isotope thing was especially dumb: they’ve recovered the remains of multiple nu-changelings to the point that Bev could dissect one and determine they’d “evolved”, but they didn’t scan them for anything unusual?

Just like not checking Jack’s DNA to establish paternity when they found him, or Bev never waving a tricorder over Jack to check if he didn’t inherit JL’s terminal brain disease at any point (on a medical ship), these characters are suffering major brain damage.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy gently caress it's Gul Dukat in Pah Wraith form, because that's the dumbest loving thing imaginable, because this show seems to think Picard and Gul Dukat were enemies, even though they never loving met, that would be loving Gul Madred you absolute idiots.
lol yes, my big dumb theory is that Pah-Wraith Dukat uses Jack Crusher to create CHANGELING LOCUTUS from Picard’s old body. Shaw’s rant in the bar was foreshadowing, you see.

And like why not, at this point I just wanna see ‘em go full shlock. Do the Trek equivalent of Super Shredder.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TulliusCicero posted:

The Chairman posted:

Yea it's this. Criticize away. There's a bunch of dumb poo poo. But don't just make up things to get mad about or jump to dumb conclusions because you are getting info from people that were looking at their phone while Picard was playing in the background which causes them to miss things that are blatantly stated / shown in the episode.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
People are being way harder on Picard than I think it deserves. I think it's bad, but drat.

There were other changelings besides the Dominion commander that came through the wormhole. One showed up to Sisko as O'Brien and flexed about how they nearly transformed the Federation into a terrified police state with just a few infiltrators.

We also know Basic has recruited from the Unnamed Founder Homeworld because Presumably Odo informed Worf that some of their kind was missing.

I'm presuming you can't rip DataLore's arms off without some crazy trauma. He's no longer wearing artificial skin and the mechanical organs in his body are supposed to be the bleeding edge of simulated human biology. Even if there was not blood everywhere, how do we know Data is not going to feel the sensations you would if your arm was ripped off.

The Lore stuff is nostalgia bait, but I kind of like the idea that Data needs to win a battle of willpower over Lore in order to be human. Though emotions dominated Data's narrative in the second half of TNG, one thing Data lacked was an ego and Lore was just a huge hammy ego. A more human Data would be one that worries about that Lore/Ego taking control.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 1, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea it's this. Criticize away. There's a bunch of dumb poo poo. But don't just make up things to get mad about or jump to dumb conclusions because you are getting info from people that were looking at their phone while Picard was playing in the background which causes them to miss things that are blatantly stated / shown in the episode.

This is like a level beyond TVIV, we call it... TVIV 2.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

This is like a level beyond TVIV, we call it... TVIV 2.

Don't you mean TVV? :smug:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

No Picard is awful, we are 7/10ths of the way through the story and the real stakes and villain are still being kept in a mystery box. Picard is now 'could go either way on genocide and murdering prisoners'. Geordi just wanted to give up at one point this episode. Nobody's decisions make any sense. Characters appear and disappear at random. There is no consistent thread between episodes on this serialised show, we randomly jump past important events and are told to make something up in our imaginations to reconcile it all.

The good episode that felt like Star Trek was Episode 4: Escaping the Nebula but that whole 4 episode arc would have been done in one tight episode of old star trek.

And the dialogue is just atrocious. We see something. A character says what we saw. Another character asks if that's what we saw. The first character repeats what we saw. Over and over and over again.

It's fanfiction written by untalented teenagers.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Craptacular! posted:

People are being way harder on Picard than I think it deserves. I think it's bad, but drat.

Star Trek: Picard is the sad, empty echo of a once great show. Its only play that has any effectiveness is to poorly homage much better, much more well-earned moments from the past. It is completely drained of cleverness. Instead of being light on its feet narratively, it drags situations out until they wear down into nubs. And it is entirely too pleased with itself for being what it is.

It's the muffled cry of TNG being strangled by autoerotic asphyxiation.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Craptacular! posted:

There were other changelings besides the Dominion commander that came through the wormhole. One showed up to Sisko as O'Brien and flexed about how they nearly transformed the Federation into a terrified police state with just a few infiltrators.

Odo met another of the 100 castaways too.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

ashpanash posted:

Star Trek: Picard is the sad, empty echo of a once great show. Its only play that has any effectiveness is to poorly homage much better, much more well-earned moments from the past. It is completely drained of cleverness. Instead of being light on its feet narratively, it drags situations out until they wear down into nubs. And it is entirely too pleased with itself for being what it is.

It's the muffled cry of TNG being strangled by autoerotic asphyxiation.

You're supposed to smoke weed before watching, hope this helps

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TulliusCicero posted:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The explanation for these changelings sucks and i'm not sure why sometimes phasers wipe them out and sometimes not.

This show oscillates from having some pretty interesting stuff to seemingly showing off how cheap the whole thing is- the bird-people being changelings themselves.. idk.

I think one of the reasons the show felt somewhat listless the last couple episodes is the nonstop go-to about losing hope oh actually they have it in such transparent terms.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That they need to be mutants to successfully pass scans so they can have internal organs is loving stupid. Especially as they don't have DNA now.

They could pass all starfleet scans before! They could replicate internal organs before! They could turn into a loving warp capable ship if they wanted!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DickParasite posted:

Odo met another of the 100 castaways too.

At least read the thread before joining in saying people aren't watching the show.

Yes 100 castaways were sent out. And if they'd said to us "Section 31 got 9 of those castaways" it'd be TOTALLY FINE. I think if Matalas had actually watched DS9 that's probably what he'd have done. But they didn't, they're just captured. That thing that was really hard and if it had ever happened would have been mentioned at least once.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That they need to be mutants to successfully pass scans so they can have internal organs is loving stupid. Especially as they don't have DNA now.

They could pass all starfleet scans before! They could replicate internal organs before! They could turn into a loving warp capable ship if they wanted!

Yeah "not having internal organs" would be an easy as hell thing for them to scan for before and a far easier test then the blood thing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Taear posted:

At least read the thread before joining in saying people aren't watching the show.

Yes 100 castaways were sent out. And if they'd said to us "Section 31 got 9 of those castaways" it'd be TOTALLY FINE. I think if Matalas had actually watched DS9 that's probably what he'd have done. But they didn't, they're just captured. That thing that was really hard and if it had ever happened would have been mentioned at least once.

I disagree with that, there were plenty of changelings I'm sure were assumed dead that could have been really captured in secret. Section 31 would never let anyone find out.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Lmao

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Alchenar posted:

No Picard is awful, we are 7/10ths of the way through the story and the real stakes and villain are still being kept in a mystery box.

yeah, we at least know this isn’t trying to be the Inner Light or Darmok; it’s aiming at the same target Star Trek: Nemesis did (edit: in a general plot sense), Picard is just trying not to trip in the process.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I liked how Vadic's choice of appearance reflects Odo's experience..

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I disagree with that, there were plenty of changelings I'm sure were assumed dead that could have been really captured in secret. Section 31 would never let anyone find out.

Yeah, Taear seems to be operating under the idea that the Changelings are like Jedi and if one dies, they psychically feel it, and I never got the sense that was the case. Drop and ocean and all that, but when the drop is not in the ocean, it doesn't have like homeopathic resonance or whatever. It's a separate being that could die and the ocean would never know until it was told. Like, it's not like they knew what happened to Odo until he came back.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The mention of kal-toh is the real clue for the big bad of the season: alternate dimension Naomi Wildman and her henchman evil Harry Kim. They lived! And they’re pissed about being excluded from the kadis-kot tournament on Rigel 7.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, Taear seems to be operating under the idea that the Changelings are like Jedi and if one dies, they psychically feel it, and I never got the sense that was the case. Drop and ocean and all that, but when the drop is not in the ocean, it doesn't have like homeopathic resonance or whatever. It's a separate being that could die and the ocean would never know until it was told. Like, it's not like they knew what happened to Odo until he came back.

yeah, and conversely Odo couldn't automatically pick changelings out of a crowd, didn't intuit anything the Dominion was up to besides the indistinct images he saw during the couple hours he was within the great link, etc

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

angerbeet posted:

The mention of kal-toh is the real clue for the big bad of the season: alternate dimension Naomi Wildman and her henchman evil Harry Kim. They lived! And they’re pissed about being excluded from the kadis-kot tournament on Rigel 7.

You joke, but Matalas said in an interview a bit ago that he tried really hard to work Naomi Wildman into this season, but couldn’t make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

https://youtu.be/kDfIdo-6DpI

DS9: “Four changelings on the entire planet are all it took for Starfleet to turn on itself and go full fascist and I’m gonna sit here and gloat about it while wearing your friend’s face because we’re legitimately smarter and more cunning than you solids”

Picard: “Everyone you’ve ever known is a changeling but also we still haven’t figured out our grand plan hours before it’s supposed to happen, also we’re made of meat now because YOU DID THIS TO US *clicks, snarls*”

Colm Meaney is having an insane amount of fun in this scene and I love it.