Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Payndz posted:

Prometheus and Covenant are Alien movies, right?

"Hey, my kajigger says it's air! Imma take off my helmet!"
"Uh, you sure about that? There might be airborne pathogens, toxins, microbes, spores, any number of potentially deadly thi-"
[Clunk thunk] "Yeehaw, AAAAIIIRRRRRR!"

I often feel like those movies are more akin to one of the many low-budget Alien ripoffs that were made in the 1980s, like Inseminoid (aka Horror Planet). That movie was full of the dumbest people making the dumbest decisions at every turn.

The best example of this from that movie is probably the lady who gets her foot stuck in some scrap metal that's located just outside the airlock to the base. The planet's temperature is below freezing, and she's in a spacesuit. There are other people in the base, exhorting her to hurry up and get inside (instead of, you know, suiting up and going out and helping her). So what does she do? Disconnects her spacesuit's oxygen tube, opens her helmet's visor, jams the oxygen tube in her mouth, and proceeds to freeze to death while also trying to chainsaw her stuck foot off.

If you haven't seen it yet, I highly encourage it as part of a "so bad it's (almost) good" movie night. The people in that flick make the crews in Prometheus and Covenant look like absolute geniuses in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I want to see a sci-fi horror movie where the astronauts are smart, work as a team of professionals, do everything right and aren't being deliberately sabotaged, but still one by one end up as monster food because the creature is just that nasty. Helmet-removers and egg-looker-intoers need not apply.

(I'd forgotten about Inseminoid, but now I remember my reaction to the foot scene being "Wh- what are you doing? Why would you even think to do that? Why is nobody helping you? Who the hell wrote this, and have they ever met a human before?" Also IIRC it was less chainsaw and more electric breadknife, which made it even funnier/more inexplicable.)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Payndz posted:

I want to see a sci-fi horror movie where the astronauts are smart, work as a team of professionals, do everything right and aren't being deliberately sabotaged, but still one by one end up as monster food because the creature is just that nasty. Helmet-removers and egg-looker-intoers need not apply.

Man it feels like I've seen a movie in this vein recently but damned if I can recall it

This is my fantasy aliens movie:

Cornered colonists are about to get killed by a xenomorph. All is lost. Suddenly an armored figure appears out of nowhere and starts beating the poo poo out of the xeno. Head to toe in futuristic armor...is loving iron man in this movie? No, this guy's armor is blue and white. Whoever he is, he's laying waste to the xeno, between melee attacks and blasts from his arm cannon, the xeno is toast.

As the xeno writhes in death, the mysterious warrior yells to the colonists, "get to my gunship!" But his voice...he's a lady? Oh my God it's Samus. She turns into a morph ball and scoots into the nearby vent that the xenos were using. She rolls towards the hive.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Payndz posted:

(I'd forgotten about Inseminoid, but now I remember my reaction to the foot scene being "Wh- what are you doing? Why would you even think to do that? Why is nobody helping you? Who the hell wrote this, and have they ever met a human before?" Also IIRC it was less chainsaw and more electric breadknife, which made it even funnier/more inexplicable.)

You're right, it was definitely more of an electric breadknife kind of thing, I'd thought it was a bigger implement for some reason. And yes, it does make it even more :confused: as to why anyone involved with the making of that movie would have ever thought it was a remotely good idea (though to be fair, the movie is pretty much like a fever dream, so consistent internal logic is definitely not its strong suit).

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'm still mad about the sci fi movie where the central conflict was that the rescue ship didn't have enough stasis chambers or whatever for the crew and the people they got deliberately sent to rescue

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm still mad about the sci fi movie where the central conflict was that the rescue ship didn't have enough stasis chambers or whatever for the crew and the people they got deliberately sent to rescue
Rescue and retrieval. Never said anything about return :colbert:

(I don't know what film this is)

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Splicer posted:

(I don't know what film this is)
Rescue, Retrieval, Return, duh.

https://youtu.be/_vktceH8ZA0

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I was like just get rid of the aliens!

I dont know what was meant to happen but they hosed it up in every film I saw

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhHx-haQges

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Latest targeted ad I saw on Instagram:

Yup, my phone is definitely eavesdropping on me.

"Oh, oh Geoffrey and Bungle told you not to touch those eggs, Zippy!"

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Lawrence Fishburn's character in Event Horizon was ready to GTFO as soon as he realized they had gotten more than they'd bargained for. Too bad the ship didn't want to let them go.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Zombie Guy posted:

Lawrence Fishburn's character in Event Horizon was ready to GTFO as soon as he realized they had gotten more than they'd bargained for. Too bad the ship didn't want to let them go.

He was going to nuke the Event Horizon until he ran out of missiles, or there was nothing big enough to target.

It’s the only way to be sure.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

This has some of the test footage and some stills from it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1GfUoB0kog

I've wondered what that final fight scene from Predator would've been like if it involved prime-Arnie up against JCVD in an appropriately-sized Predator costume. I bet it would've been pretty neat.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

JCVD was on-set in Mexico during the first part of filming, as you see from that video BB linked. As they attempted to film it this way, everyone started to realize this particular suit and approach just wasn’t going to work.

If I recall correctly, it was Arnold who suggested calling Stan Winston, who he knew from filming The Terminator.

JCVD was let go, which he was pretty happy about. The director John McTiernan filmed everything he could that didn’t involve shots of the creature, while Winston worked up sketches of his vision for the creature, with McTiernan collaborating on what he wanted to see. And then finally they had to actually take a hiatus in filming, while Winston created the rubber molds and various prosthesis and as they did test shoots of Kevin Peter Hall moving around wearing it.

Once the suits were ready they went back to filming in the jungle in Mexico (and a couple of interior sets) and the rest, is creature feature history.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

For that particular guy, it would be.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Is there test footage of the monkey in the original Predator costume? Why they thought that'd be a good idea...

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Dog Aliens vs Monkey Predator is a movie I would watch.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Parkingtigers posted:

This is just making me think of that dog-riding monkey that was a big deal for a hot second in the 00s

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Parkingtigers posted:

I think there was a xenomorph dog in Alien 3

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I think there was a xenomorph dog in Alien 3

Depends on the version :colbert:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Icon Of Sin posted:

Depends on the version :colbert:

I saw it once on HBO, and bought the blu-ray. Never actually watched it tho

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

He only talks about bill for like 1 minute in this but I was recommended many other videos and uh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbHREBvkOx0

So apparently someone drugged about 150 people on the set of Titanic with PCP. They all go to the hospital and Bill is like "yeah this sucks I'm just gonna go back and drink a case of beer and ride it out."

:allears:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, that story is loving insane.

It has never happened to me, but I’d imagine being unknowingly dosed with a hallucinogen has to be utterly terrifying for a lot of people.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

skasion posted:

This is just making me think of that dog-riding monkey that was a big deal for a hot second in the 00s

In one of the recent BBC nature documentaries, not Planet Earth but something else, there's a shot of a monkey riding a deer.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

He only talks about bill for like 1 minute in this but I was recommended many other videos and uh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbHREBvkOx0

So apparently someone drugged about 150 people on the set of Titanic with PCP. They all go to the hospital and Bill is like "yeah this sucks I'm just gonna go back and drink a case of beer and ride it out."

:allears:

no wonder Leo couldn't stay on that door

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I had a few thoughts about Aliens. One thing that I think makes it such a great movie is that it follows a dialectic in which the "slave" liberates herself, "reuniting" with the daughter that was (basically) taken from her by the corporation, and going from a disposable worker in a pod to nuking the corporation's assets without asking for permission. "They can bill me."

Ripley also starts out as a vulnerable, traumatized women (but who is caring and empathetic towards her cat) who is expected to play a supporting role to the "protagonists" who are mostly-male marines. There are some gender-reversal jokes like Vasquez being asked if she's ever been mistaken for a man, and she replies to Hudson, "no, have you?" But the table gets flipped on them when they're ambushed by the aliens, and Ripley seizes the initiative to push the feckless Lt. Gorman aside and pull them out of the fire. The aftermath leaves Hudson in a vulnerable position much like Ripley used to be, while she's the one who's actually in control and knows what's going on.

She has some muscle, but she also uses her brains. She works alongside the men but isn't dependent on them. She also has feminine intuition and empathy that unites the two previous stages of the film in a unity, selecting out the undesirable traits of both who she was in the beginning and who the marines were in the middle, while she also unites the positives of the previous stages (empathetic / badass) and becomes a truly human person. Essentially, in this progression, the final synthesis serves to negate the antithesis that itself negated the original thesis, while also preserving elements of both in a new unity or identity.

I think the theme of Aliens is also about alienation in the philosophical sense of people becoming alienated from their humanity when their virtues are split off (alienated) from them when they're used as tools by others. The corporation wants to use her as a tool, are using the marines as tools, who are just told what to do and don't have any control over the situation. There might also be an analogy to Ripley being in her pod in the beginning of the movie to the colonists who are being cocooned; all of them are disposable objects as far as the impersonal, systemic force of domination represented by the corporation is concerned.

In the 1980s, in the U.S., corporations were also on the rise. It was the beginning of the death of unions, and the birth of resurgent laisse-faire capitalism, which makes Burke an even more menacing figure (and everyone likes it when he gets eaten). There's a bit of Dante's Inferno in this too, with the corporation's drive to exploit its labor force (to the point of luring colonists to the planet so they'd serve as a hatchery) leading to ever more serious crises, with the characters discovering this by descending deeper and deeper into "hell."

But alongside this apocalyptic reading, there's also some optimism. Ripley gets in the exoskeleton and uses it to defeat the alien queen, but the larger backstory in the universe is that these exoskeletons became widespread because of the demand for skilled labor after increasing viral incursions into human populations.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 3, 2023

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
That's some good solid thinking about Aliens there

edogawa rando posted:

I've wondered what that final fight scene from Predator would've been like if it involved prime-Arnie up against JCVD in an appropriately-sized Predator costume. I bet it would've been pretty neat.

I'm imagining the predator is doing a lot of split kicks.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I had a few thoughts about Aliens

I appreciate the effort that went into this post. I know how much it takes to post something like this with all the embedded GIFs

The effort to think up and type out something like this, especially I appreciate:

quote:

Essentially, in this progression, the final synthesis serves to negate the antithesis that itself negated the original thesis

This guy is going to fit in here just fine (although he should also crosspost it to the CineD thread)

e: could use more of Nature vs Nurture, and themes of mothering, and loss of child, etc.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, excellent post BrutalistMcDonalds.

Could definitely go in the CineD Aliens Thread as well, I'm sure some of the heads in there will appreciate it. But beware, certain posters like to use that thread (entire subforum?) as their practice grounds for debate club. They will cocoon you and implant you with disingenuous arguments.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I think the theme of Aliens is also about alienation in the philosophical sense of people becoming alienated from their humanity when their virtues are split off (alienated) from them when they're used as tools by others. The corporation wants to use her as a tool, are using the marines as tools, who are just told what to do and don't have any control over the situation. There might also be an analogy to Ripley being in her pod in the beginning of the movie to the colonists who are being cocooned; all of them are disposable objects as far as the impersonal, systemic force of domination represented by the corporation is concerned.

James Cameron touches on this a bit on his commentary for The Terminator for the MGM DVD circa 2006-ish. About how part of what he was going for with the Terminator was evoking the isolation people have in modern society and how it's a factor in the fear of how anyone could blow them away at any time (a factor along with how, of course in the US specifically, yeah, anyone can blow you away at any time) and how that effects a population and how that paranoia makes us all more machine-like.

With how capitalism-powered nightmare the world of Aliens seems to be (colonial marines that seem like they're owned by a corporation/etc.) you can see how much it's broken everyone down to their most basic value of what license they have, what their rank is.

Goreman doesn't have any real experience, but I'll extrapolate that he doesn't have any real training in any of the empathy or compassion you mention Ripley having and you see that come through in his dumbass tactics. Like even if he's shocked by the ferocity and quickness of the aliens' attacking the marines ordering them to retreat would have been an obvious thing to do. Or earlier on in the film having them do a more thorough job of securing the previous areas of the colony they go through instead of just strolling. He doesn't know the desperation someone who went through Ripley or Newt's situation has so he lacks humanity. Newt's gone through some poo poo so she's able to survive on a level other than "lay down a supressing fire" and just having the marines blindly keep moving forward like Goreman does.

Ripley's lured back to to going on the mission at all with the temptation of having a "real job" again instead of the work Burke low key insults but fortunately, as if she'll have a chance to climb the ladder like Burke has. We see how Burke ends up treating her and Newt instead, just as expendable as everyone else around him.

I was always so happy that she gets to battle the queen with the power loader. Because I do sometimes see a take on Aliens that the alien infestation is like a metaphor for Ripley/etc. going in to put down a worker's revolt. But I always saw it the other way, that the infestation is just the like final endgame of late stage capitalism that you have this endlessly reproducing for the sake of it cycle that doesn't actually add anything (since every single alien there popped out of a colonist). It's heavy handed ( :haw: ) but I appreciate any plot development that acknowledges that there's no such thing as "unskilled" labor.

Anyway this part of your post in particular is an aspect of Aliens I that I think gets overlooked a lot. It's actually a clever thing about the movie for the time it was made imo, that unlike in Alien the literal machine corporate representation isn't hidden at all, and the "corporation" itself has this friendly personable face in Burke to do the same heinous horrible stuff the corporation has always and will always strive to do, but with a reassuring smile.*

Corporate two-faced douchebags have been in movies and tv shows for a long time but Burke is one of my favorite uses of it. Not just because of movie in general being great and Paul Reiser being awesome, but because a lot of his dialogue especially early on is so 100% on point with actual conversations I've had with douchebag managers about stuff over the years.

*Unrelated but I love Burke's costume design so much. It's such a great "this is what uh the honest working American man wears to work right?" completely unscuffed bullshit outfit lol

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I saw an interview with Paul Reiser from a while back, where he knew he played Burke as a perfect slimeball. His evidence? His own mom said “yea, Burke deserved what happened to him, sorry about it son!” :laffo:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

I'm imagining the predator is doing a lot of split kicks.

So what you're saying is: it would have ruled.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://twitter.com/elle_hunt/status/1379341076687904773

The thread is great. I'm struggling to think of the last time anyone was this Wrong about anything.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:psyduck:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’s a horror film, and the true monster was on screen a ton.

it was Ash, and the scene where they interrogated his head haunted me as a kid more than anything the alien ever did :cry:

As opposed to the alien, who got like 10-15 seconds here and there.

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

Tobias, have you been flogging Simpsons prop replicas on the internet again?

Icon Of Sin posted:

It’s a horror film, and the true monster was on screen a ton.

it was Ash, and the scene where they interrogated his head haunted me as a kid more than anything the alien ever did :cry:

As opposed to the alien, who got like 10-15 seconds here and there.

Just rewatched Prometheus and, while not an Alien movie, it does recognise this premise instead and play with it extremely well. Might gently caress around and rewatch Covenant in the same light, I remember it being a huge disappointment on the Shaw and Engineers fronts but Fassbender plays a drat good villain.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
What a dream job.

https://twitter.com/ludoiochem/status/1639826597560692737

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I hope those guys got credited as bug wranglers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've probably mentioned it in here before but I used to love this 90s program on Discovery called Movie Magic. It was all about the behind the scenes stuff like this. I LOVED seeing the miniatures and matte paintings and the insanely detailed poo poo that they built.

I'm pretty sure they had a Starship Troopers segment. Also Alien Resurrection. Unless those were other shows. Discovery used to have cool stuff.

edit: it ran from 1994-1997. It was SOOOOOO good. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108865/

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 4, 2023