Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1642106623836540928

This needs to be reposted too:
https://twitter.com/_Alex991/status/1641828391341924352

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jeremy Vine is the drizzling shits

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I got him confused with Jeremy Kyle.

Stupid question. I'm earning enough to be decently paying off my student loan now, it should be paid off in about 7 years (i know, guillotine)
I also have a mortgage with 18 years on it that is fixed for 4 more years (double guillotine)

I'm assuming any extra overpayment I should sink into my mortgage as much as possible and ignore the student loan since its pre-tax. Whereas other debts are after tax.

I'm also trying to work out how to not be utterly hosed if I'm ever able to retire. (triple guillotine) It's looking like since I'm basically starting now aged 40 i need to salary sacrifice an absurd amount (22%?) to be ok by 68. Does that seem right?

We had a fun financial planning thing at work where they spent the first half telling us how likely we were to die before retiring, then said oh hey but if you survive, how about a pension! Then they caused a riot by explaining how lovely life insurance was regarding existing conditions. Fun week..

Mebh fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 1, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BazakeMedia/status/1642060770681798656

I love Bazake

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tompkins particularly

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

Tompkins particularly

Indeed https://twitter.com/BazakeMedia/status/1641718234893230080

There are so many satire accounts that are part of Bazake that I can't keep up with them, and they all bounce off of each other so well :allears:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mebh posted:

I'm assuming any extra overpayment I should sink into my mortgage as much as possible and ignore the student loan since its pre-tax. Whereas other debts are after tax.

Usually no. Assuming you're fixed at a pretty low interest rate, you're better off clearing after-tax debts and then plowing extra cash into maximising tax-free pension contributions first, which is tax-advantaged and has a higher ROI. (At least this is how it would work in Ireland) . There's going to be people on moneysavingexpert or somewhere with flowcharts going through your best options, but that would be the general approach.

Of course, some people just psychologically want to be mortgage-free so they prioritise that, but the numbers usually don't add up - as they say "a mortgage is the cheapest money you'll ever get ". But also, who knows what rate you'll be able to re-fix at in 4 years :shrug:

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Failed Imagineer posted:

Usually no. Assuming you're fixed at a pretty low interest rate, you're better off clearing after-tax debts and then plowing extra cash into maximising tax-free pension contributions first, which is tax-advantaged and has a higher ROI. (At least this is how it would work in Ireland) . There's going to be people on moneysavingexpert or somewhere with flowcharts going through your best options, but that would be the general approach.

Of course, some people just psychologically want to be mortgage-free so they prioritise that, but the numbers usually don't add up - as they say "a mortgage is the cheapest money you'll ever get ". But also, who knows what rate you'll be able to re-fix at in 4 years :shrug:

Basically this - doing overpayments on a mortgage is very rarely worth it, especially if you would otherwise put the money in a pension, or even in an ISA invested in ETFs over the long period. Depending on how low the fixed rate is you might even be better off putting the money in a savings account - NatWest is doing a 6% account that you can pay up to £150 a month into for example.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

The UK Personal Finance has a great flowchart that helped me make sense of all this, yeah

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887120&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Mebh posted:

fixed rate mortgage overpayments are capped at 10% of the balance per year. With a variable you can pay off more, if you're in a position where you're likely to have lump sums available on a regular basis

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

I got him confused with Jeremy Kyle.

Stupid question. I'm earning enough to be decently paying off my student loan now, it should be paid off in about 7 years (i know, guillotine)
I also have a mortgage with 18 years on it that is fixed for 4 more years (double guillotine)

I'm also trying to work out how to not be utterly hosed if I'm ever able to retire. (triple guillotine) It's looking like since I'm basically starting now aged 40 i need to salary sacrifice an absurd amount (22%?) to be ok by 68. Does that seem right?

We had a fun financial planning thing at work where they spent the first half telling us how likely we were to die before retiring, then said oh hey but if you survive, how about a pension! Then they caused a riot by explaining how lovely life insurance was regarding existing conditions. Fun week..

Depends what you mean by 'be ok by 68' - have a good think about that! Some of the figures I see bandied about are unbelievable - considering I'm fast approaching 63 now and have nowhere near these amounts.

Also bear in mind that any money you pay into a pension scheme now you will not be able to access until you're 57 as it stands at the moment (it's 55 at the moment but going up to 57 in 2028) so have a think about what 'life circumstances' may occur that require you to get your mitts on the money earlier (kids - 'college funds' or weddings for example, known health conditions that may deteriorate etc - though I think some pension funds will allow you to withdraw funds earlier if you have a terminal illness) - before deciding how much you should pay into a pension plan.

I see someone already directed you to the UK Personal Finance thread: in case you missed it, it's here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887120

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Here it is! Keith’s incredibly weak sauce and pathetic claim of the day!

https://twitter.com/keir_starmer/status/1642120485826592769?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Thanks for the advice. Had no idea there was a thread! Time to do some reading.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

It's quite hilarious that poor dear Keir's handlers have decided he needs a reminder of who's in charge. I wonder if Starmer did anything for this to happen - maybe he started acting like they have an equal partnership, or perhaps he started making demands or asking for favours he thinks he's due... after all, he's done everything he's told, he's kept laying the boots into the lefties, and he's even made it clear to Jewish party members that they should only be part of the right organisations. I expect we'll see a full apology within a week, and a properly-worded one as well, none of the usual "Sorry you're offended because you suck" political apologies, but him apologising for his own (in)action.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

fuckingusername posted:

Unfortunately our bathroom is without exaggeration slightly smaller than some first class aeroplane cubicles (or so I have been told). The tooth brushes are stored in a cupboard over the lav.

10 years ago my phone fell out of my pocket into the toilet.

Pretty much destroyed it.

The lessons I've kept to this very day every time I use the bathroom are

1) wait until I'm sitting down before taking my phone out of my pocket
2) Never wear anything with shallow pockets
3) ALWAYS CLOSE THE TOILET LID WHEN NOT IN USE

I suspect the third lesson will be useful to you unless you poo poo in a hole in the ground or something.

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Depends what you mean by 'be ok by 68' - have a good think about that! Some of the figures I see bandied about are unbelievable - considering I'm fast approaching 63 now and have nowhere near these amounts.

A lot of the 'you need X hundred thousand in your pot to retire' some pension calculators estimate do assume a very generous retirement income (quite often more than the average working salary) and that you'll be a couple driving a fat SUV each, going on a world cruise every 6 months and putting your grandkids through uni. Which is a) obviously targeted at the well to-do classes and b) coincidentally persuades people to invest lots of money in the private pension operators behind the calculators.

I hedged my bets and overpaid the mortgage, made pension contributions and stuck some in ISAs. You never know what the future holds personally or globally, paying off my mortgage maybe didn't give the best financial return (although given the state of the markets and house prices maybe it did) but the peace of mind is priceless.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kin posted:

I suspect the third lesson will be useful to you unless you poo poo in a hole in the ground or something.
If you poo poo in a hole in the ground it's especially important to close the lid when not in use. There's no flush and no water trap, and you really don't want the air currents to reverse.

Also make sure your vent pipe is a person and a half high at least and has a fly screen.

This post brought to you by the innovative private solutions for post-Brexit sewerage team.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

Also make sure your vent pipe is a person and a half high at least and has a fly screen.

This post brought to you by the innovative private solutions for post-Brexit sewerage team.

It'd suck for the downstairs neighbours though

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure my team of disruptive innovators will be able to combine it with the pothole filling problem.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

Here it is! Keith’s incredibly weak sauce and pathetic claim of the day!

https://twitter.com/keir_starmer/status/1642120485826592769?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lemurtron posted:

A lot of the 'you need X hundred thousand in your pot to retire' some pension calculators estimate do assume a very generous retirement income (quite often more than the average working salary) and that you'll be a couple driving a fat SUV each, going on a world cruise every 6 months and putting your grandkids through uni. Which is a) obviously targeted at the well to-do classes and b) coincidentally persuades people to invest lots of money in the private pension operators behind the calculators.

I hedged my bets and overpaid the mortgage, made pension contributions and stuck some in ISAs. You never know what the future holds personally or globally, paying off my mortgage maybe didn't give the best financial return (although given the state of the markets and house prices maybe it did) but the peace of mind is priceless.

Yes. I am mortgage free, only because I live in the tiniest flat available in my area (and the cheapest by at least £20k when I bought it - the only other similar price was a mobile unit on a riverside park that got washed away in the floods 3 months after I bought this and would have had double the monthly charges). I was not able to get a mortgage due to age and lack of earned income so I had to scrape every bit of savings possible together and cash in most of my SIPP to buy it plus do a substantial money transfer from credit card.

I don't have to worry about mortgage rates, though our flat service charges are going to have to go up - we need a new flat roof est £25k, electricity costs have more than doubled and that's on a 2 year fixed rate contract through til summer 2024 plus everything else going up, internal decs not been done for 14 years and it's looking really shabby meaning it's getting harder for people to sell their flats.

You might be thinking :sobsobsowhat: at this point, but as these are retirement flats, the majority of sales relate to people who have died or who have moved into care homes (charging £1k per week!) and their families trying to sell them but having to keep paying service charges in the mean time - one has been on sale for over 3 years now and the deceased owner's daughter is in despair over having to fork out a relatively modest £130 per month s/charge but with no sign of a sale in sight.

I'm putting any spare in SIPP (you can get govt tax rebate 25% on contributions even if you do not earn enough to pay tax). I found a couple of cash funds I can include so while they only earn the usual savings % (bout 3.5-4% now) they aren't volatile and I've got the govt's dosh on top. Before I realized this, they were just cash sitting there doing nothing). Anything over and above that is going in an ISA with an islamic bank paying a profit rate about 3.5-4%.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Speaking of potholes, been out on rural roads for a family event and my god are the roads of this country a loving disaster outside of the metropoles. Like driving on hexagonal wheels.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

If you poo poo in a hole in the ground it's especially important to close the lid when not in use. There's no flush and no water trap, and you really don't want the air currents to reverse.

I love that it's a VIP toilet

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Back in the day you had to be very important to have a seat while making GBS threads. Proles had to squat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

keith hates potholes and the causes of potholes; pot

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I love that it's a VIP toilet

Very Important Poo

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Oh god. We’re at the stage of the election cycle where focus groups start pulling these stupid loving stereotypes out of their arses

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

smellmycheese posted:

Oh god. We’re at the stage of the election cycle where focus groups start pulling these stupid loving stereotypes out of their arses

Quiet batpeople.

fuckingusername
Jun 6, 2008
Why do they always make them sound like archaeological mysteries. Workington Man. Stevenage Woman. Quiet Batpeople.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

The kind of charisma that clears entire shopping centres

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I think possibly because they're loving dickheads with no personalities who have long since lost sight of whatever got them into that stupid career in the first place. Maybe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kingturnip posted:

The kind of charisma that clears entire shopping centres

Nobody has ever been that excited to be next to poundland.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

OwlFancier posted:

My wife would like a word.

I am so grateful she gets excited about going to Asda for holiday decorations and not John Lewis.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
poundland? maybe, the one at the greyhound estate has a resident cat

b&m? hell yeah

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

home bargains for the weird sweets

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

https://twitter.com/CeilNoyle/status/1642188691740278785

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

OwlFancier posted:

Ashens?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

Their knockoff toblerones are good :colbert:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuckingusername posted:

Why do they always make them sound like archaeological mysteries. Workington Man. Stevenage Woman. Quiet Batpeople.
The three-age division of the prehistory and protohistory of humanity has become controversial among certain scholars, who accuse the system of dismissing or minimizing important epochs such as the Steven Age, the Sewer Age, and the Saus Age.