Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Zesty posted:

So people in 20 minutes get the joke.

lol that only the desantis tweet is still up, after more than 2 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Imagine the panic attack on the Twitter coder(s) that put in author_is_elon to avoid getting fired like the guy who just tried to tell him his tweets suck, when the ol' Musky just announces he's releasing Twitter's code, lol

":stare:"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yes but he doesn't even know how to decipher BASIC so he's just going "hm yes this is a big printout very good"

10,00 lines of code? Good.

TWO lines of code this week? No excuses about "Critical bugfixes", You're fired for laziness!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

goatface posted:

Is this a one time only gift to the current top 10,000? What happens when the 10,000 and 10,001st accounts swap place? Does the badge change instantly? End of the month? Is it the account with the average most followers in the past day/month/year or the most followers at the instant it ticks over? If you have a paid-up account do they refund you when you get onto the list?

And a billion more questions.

Someone at Twitter is desperately writing a "remove checkmark from all organizations, SELECT 10000 FROM orgs_on_twitter ORDER BY number_of_followers, add checkmark" script in Python and scheduling a cron job to run it every minute.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

davidspackage posted:

Imagine the panic attack on the Twitter coder(s) that put in author_is_elon to avoid getting fired like the guy who just tried to tell him his tweets suck, when the ol' Musky just announces he's releasing Twitter's code, lol

":stare:"

Just going my percentages that dude was probably fired months ago.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/esjesjesj/status/1641961377303494657

lmao. Of course, Halli is not a reply guy.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Twitter is kinda going through some things right now as a bunch of legacy checkmarks have decided to just go out having some fun (here's a whole thread of stuff)

https://twitter.com/rebeinstein/status/1642018969333932032

It also seems as though people impersonating Elon are getting their names and avatars blanked, I noticed it with Eve6 who is now just a "." with a blank avatar but there's a bunch of those now

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/JUNlPER/status/1642018001955307521

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Lol and lmao

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Guys do NOT take out author_is_elon.... i've got 2 1/2 million bots on standby feeding him feel good nonsense, affirmations and autogenerated memes. The last time somebody turned that off he Chained the doors of Twitter HQ and made everybody look at his memes for 48 hours. The fire marshal was not happy.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1642044533482590209?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Guys do NOT take out author_is_elon.... i've got 2 1/2 million bots on standby feeding him feel good nonsense, affirmations and autogenerated memes. The last time somebody turned that off he Chained the doors of Twitter HQ and made everybody look at his memes for 48 hours. The fire marshal was not happy.

We can't remove author_is_elon anyway, it's a load-bearing Boer.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dohohohoho

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Oh lord I forgot that today all the BRANDS are gonna try to be funny too. This is certainly going to be an interesting day on Twitter, lotta things happening at once and Musk in the middle, memeing his way through like a trooper.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Load...boering?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks, Rich Evans!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
So when do the legacy check marks go away?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks, Rich Evans!

his name is Dick, The Birthday Boy

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Someone at Twitter is desperately writing a "remove checkmark from all organizations, SELECT 10000 FROM orgs_on_twitter ORDER BY number_of_followers, add checkmark" script in Python and scheduling a cron job to run it every minute.

Apparently the verification system code is so janky, the process for adding/removing checkmarks is basically done manually on what might as well be an Excel spreadsheet

quote:

The removal of verification badges at such a wide scale has the potential to disrupt systems across Twitter’s website, including its recommendation algorithms, spam filters and help center requests. Twitter has previously relied on the badges as an important signal affecting all of those areas — for example, using verification to decide to boost a public figure’s tweet into a user’s timeline.

Removal of verification badges is a largely manual process powered by a system prone to breaking, which draws on a large internal database — similar to an Excel spreadsheet — in which verification data is stored, according to the former employees. Sometimes, an employee would try to remove a badge but the change wouldn’t take, one of the former employees said, prompting workers to explore workarounds. In the past, there was no way to reliably remove badges at a bulk scale — prompting workers tackling spam, for example, to have to remove check marks one-by-one.

“It was all held together with duct tape,” the former employee added.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Twitter can't even remove the checkmarks from subscribers that cancel their subscription :elon:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

haljordan posted:

Apparently the verification system code is so janky, the process for adding/removing checkmarks is basically done manually on what might as well be an Excel spreadsheet
They are clearly using Excel as an example for people who don't know what databases are because it's exceedingly easy to remove flags from an Excel.

I can't imagine a database that you just can't go in and remove a flag. It might be with a login only a VP has, it might take a small book of command prompt commands. But the whole point of structured data is to work on it at large scale. If I can't remove a flag from everyone I don't have a database, I have a data pile.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I bet it's stored as like, has_checkmark, checkmark_color, checkmark_description and they don't have anyone left who can easily blank the checkmark list without taking it away from bluebers

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

haljordan posted:

Concerning

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haljordan posted:

They probably just said that as an analogy non-tech people would understand. What's more likely happening is some poor fuckers are manually scrolling through a database table and manually editing fields like it's an Excel spreadsheet.

Then hoping replication doesn't eat the changes by overwriting it from other backups so they have to start over again.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1641993780508213249

This is a wilder ride than I was prepared to experience

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
And they released the info themselves! It's fantastic! Musk is thick as poo poo goddamn

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Legacy checkmarks still around. Elon the coward pisses pants.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're still working out how to cascade the changes in a manner that sticks.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

E the Shaggy posted:

Legacy checkmarks still around. Elon the coward pisses pants.

It’s only 7am on the west coast, there’s plenty of time for Elnold to slam his dick in a gull wing door.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1641921726941626368

I haven’t bothered to look at what was released because I figure people smarter than me will, and will call out anything good, but it’s kind of telling if the code is missing the portion that applies/adjusts the weightings - Presumedly that’s where they made the post Super Bowl adjustment, and the post post Super Bowl adjustment after he got embarrassed by the articles saying “every tweet in for you is now elon”.

code:
author_is_elon = true
   tweet_weighting = tweet_weighting * 1000
However, that was the part of the algo where it seemed like scammers would analyse for ways to exploit so maybe it makes sense; but this is the elon thread and I prefer to think it was removed to hide the promote elon and promote super users stuff we’ve been hearing about.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Steadiman posted:

Twitter is kinda going through some things right now as a bunch of legacy checkmarks have decided to just go out having some fun (here's a whole thread of stuff)

https://twitter.com/rebeinstein/status/1642018969333932032

It also seems as though people impersonating Elon are getting their names and avatars blanked, I noticed it with Eve6 who is now just a "." with a blank avatar but there's a bunch of those now

I've made some pro clicks in my time, and this yet another one of them.

Who on earth could have forseen any of this when Elon arbitrarily decided that verification was a paid system...?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It still seems like he genuinely doesn’t understand that it was called a “verified” check because Twitter used to verify that celeb accounts were real and that that was the original point of the check marks.

He’s so loving thick.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Scratch Monkey posted:

So when do the legacy check marks go away?

I'm predicting that when he sees that everyone of note says "gently caress off" to paying for a tick, Elong will turn around and say "April fools actually :smug:" to try save face

(or they can't figure out how to actually get rid of them and its same end result)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Entropic posted:

It still seems like he genuinely doesn’t understand that it was called a “verified” check because Twitter used to verify that celeb accounts were real and that that was the original point of the check marks.

He’s so loving thick.

His echo chamber told him the woke leftists at Twitter sold them to other woke leftists and so they were worthless, and now he's made them so.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
So the apex of free speech is some lovely rock band (presumably comprised of grown adults) pretending to be radiohead on the internet...

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

he's going to either declare it an april fools day joke or say he was "starting" to remove the checkmarks on 4/1

or he'll go through with it

no matter what happens, it'll be funny and elon will look bad

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Glad I'm wrong predicting this to be as interesting as the twitter files lol

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Entropic posted:

He’s so loving thick.

He literally went through that very same Verification process so you would think he'd understand what it means. He is currently still using it as well. Is he going to loose his checkmark today? There's no way to test in advance what kind of effects a major software change may have.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

armpit_enjoyer posted:

This is a wilder ride than I was prepared to experience

Nothing about this surprises me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Elon musk bought 44B dollars of rakes, set them in a straight line, and told the world to watch him step on each and every one.