Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

this is why I lower my cavern water percentage in worldgen to avoid flooded caverns. i also hate all the tiny little crumbly areas so openness is way up for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

TurnpikeLad posted:

I've had some fun making gpt-3 write the books described in dwarf fortress. I wonder how much generative ai could be implemented in DF in the future, even if only in the context of books and songs etc. I know Toady has been thinking of generating procedural tavern games for a while..

What kind of prompt are you using? Also, :justpost: what it produced.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Oh man, I had started to get a bit bored with this game after my, like, 5th fort in a row to make it to 200 people and pretty much able to shrug off any invasion or monster. Royals, everything gold. etc etc.

But I never tried deploying evil. This is fun. I might finally get a failed fortress!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

duck monster posted:

Oh man, I had started to get a bit bored with this game after my, like, 5th fort in a row to make it to 200 people and pretty much able to shrug off any invasion or monster. Royals, everything gold. etc etc.

But I never tried deploying evil. This is fun. I might finally get a failed fortress!
Can you make soap? Have you conquered the circus?

If all else fails, dig deep and greedily!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I totally overprepared for the circus and it was actually a cakewalk. Never even got any further spawns from the edges as I constructed my hell glass and pale metal fortress

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Nosre posted:

I totally overprepared for the circus and it was actually a cakewalk. Never even got any further spawns from the edges as I constructed my hell glass and pale metal fortress

The clowns are randomly generated, and in power can range between "a random cat that slips in kills the lot of them", to being unstoppable murdermachines that simply cannot be beat with any weapons, requiring sideways solutions. Mostly depending on what material they are composed of.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Can you make soap? Have you conquered the circus?

If all else fails, dig deep and greedily!

Yes, and no. Could never work out quite how to get down there and struggled to make myself interested in it.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Tuna-Fish posted:

The clowns are randomly generated, and in power can range between "a random cat that slips in kills the lot of them", to being unstoppable murdermachines that simply cannot be beat with any weapons, requiring sideways solutions. Mostly depending on what material they are composed of.

In my case, I never found out because I constructed a series of 3-layer cave-in traps going up the gem spire. The first one took out ~60 of the 86 that spawned, and the second killed the rest

I had made 7 individually-triggered traps (so 21 total cleared and engineered levels), backed up by more defensive poo poo after that ahahaha

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Nosre posted:

In my case, I never found out because I constructed a series of 3-layer cave-in traps going up the gem spire. The first one took out ~60 of the 86 that spawned, and the second killed the rest

I had made 7 individually-triggered traps (so 21 total cleared and engineered levels), backed up by more defensive poo poo after that ahahaha

Yeah, that'll do it. :)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

duck monster posted:

Yes, and no. Could never work out quite how to get down there and struggled to make myself interested in it.
Time to start working on stupid dwarf tricks then.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Genpei Turtle posted:

My main magma dump is only one z-level deep and I’ve never seen a magma splash happen in the 10 or so years my dwarves have had it. Does magma depth make a difference as to whether it will happen? It’s a 4/7 depth pit that I created with minecarts full of magma rather than a natural flow.

I am uncertain about magma depth having an effect, it very well might. I tend to just make a very long channel down all the way to the sea or magma pool. I think another thing that impacts the splash height is the weight of what gets tossed in there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How do I erase part of or edit a burrow designation in the Steam version now? All I seem to be able to do is paint new additional areas.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Zereth posted:

Those blocks still make the same number of tiles of wall or floor, though.

Nah, one boulder makes 4 blocks, while 1 tile of floor/wall takes either 1 block or one boulder. Blocking first gives you 4x as many walls/floors. [Doesn't apply to metal or wood which make blocks 1:1]

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 28, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Wait, so processing all my spare stone into blocks for trading/gradual low-effort consolidation in one place is actually creating more clutter?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wait, so processing all my spare stone into blocks for trading/gradual low-effort consolidation in one place is actually creating more clutter?

I mean, it makes them WAY faster to haul and you can build more with them, but generally yeah. I'm more-or-less against exploiting in this game and others via stuff like drawbridge pulverizers, but quantum stockpiles are totally good and I use them all the time for this exact reason.

Also you dont want to do it for all your boulders, some stuff like pots can only be made from them.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Trading stone blocks is just throwing out magic beans anyway, all of that stone should be a mighty wall and flooring scheme designed to ferry goblins into your death traps with little fuss and your exports should be their copper and iron, or melted down into fine goblets to be encrusted with gems and such!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Skyl3lazer posted:

Nah, one boulder makes 4 blocks, while 1 tile of floor/wall takes either 1 block or one boulder. Blocking first gives you 4x as many walls/floors. [Doesn't apply to metal or wood which make blocks 1:1]
The original complaint was "it takes the same amount of material to make a wall completely filling a tile as it does to make a floor which does not fill a tile". Turning a boulder into blocks means you can make more of either, but doesn't change that floors are not more material-efficient than walls.

(Roads are, but I think you can't actually build things on top of them so they're not a good replacement for floors except in places you already want to not build things in, like paths for the caravan.)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Also you dont want to do it for all your boulders, some stuff like pots can only be made from them.

Well yeah, I usually just assign one not-very-good mason to be the Blocks Guy and set him on a repeating task in his own workshop on the same Z-level as the living areas, far away from the stairs. This causes him to build up masonry skill and gradually tidy up the living quarters around him. Once he's reasonably skilled I'll unassign the workshop and assign it to another bad mason who could benefit from Blocks Guy practice (possibly relocating the shop first if it's hopelessly cluttered and/or would be more useful cleaning up a different part of the living areas).

It's a nice, low-effort, low-micromanagement way to keep things reasonably neat while also producing something I might want a lot of at some point.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Angry Diplomat posted:

Well yeah, I usually just assign one not-very-good mason to be the Blocks Guy and set him on a repeating task in his own workshop on the same Z-level as the living areas, far away from the stairs. This causes him to build up masonry skill and gradually tidy up the living quarters around him. Once he's reasonably skilled I'll unassign the workshop and assign it to another bad mason who could benefit from Blocks Guy practice (possibly relocating the shop first if it's hopelessly cluttered and/or would be more useful cleaning up a different part of the living areas).

It's a nice, low-effort, low-micromanagement way to keep things reasonably neat while also producing something I might want a lot of at some point.

This doesn't work any more, block making is the smoothing labor now apparently. Set one dude to make blocks is still worthwhile but for a skilled furniture guy I set someone to turn junk stone into statues.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Wait making blocks trains engravers? gently caress that's even better, makes getting the fort all smooth and tidy into a nice efficient workflow. Blocks Guy duty for the trainees, experts smooth and engrave. I like it!

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wait making blocks trains engravers? gently caress that's even better, makes getting the fort all smooth and tidy into a nice efficient workflow. Blocks Guy duty for the trainees, experts smooth and engrave. I like it!

Aren't smoothing and engraving different tasks now?

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Tuna-Fish posted:

Aren't smoothing and engraving different tasks now?
Yes, stonecutting is smoothing as well as cutting blocks. Engraving is only engraving.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Well. That certainly explains why my smoothing and engraving projects have been proceeding so slowly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah its genuinely a mess now

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Look at this idiot getting mad because he sat in a chair I stuck next to this glass wall as a sort of a reading nook

1 level immediately above him:

On another note, I wish the glass block wall texture actually looked see-through. Is there anything else that conveys the look of a window but isn't destroyable like windows are?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The only downside to the glass block floor is that if you engrave it you lose the see-through effect.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Nosre posted:

Look at this idiot getting mad because he sat in a chair I stuck next to this glass wall as a sort of a reading nook

1 level immediately above him:

The way the game works right now, when a dwarf decides to eat they will not head for a dining room, but if they don't own a chair they will head for the nearest chair and eat there. If that chair is in a dining room, they can get a happy thought for "dining in a legendary dining room". For this reason, you should never have any chairs anywhere without an adjacent table.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

I have no idea how this happened and how long this have been going on.. Apparently some of my visitors decided to take a shortcut across the pond and got stuck, but since the water is not too high, they dont drown, and the only reason I was made aware of it, was because an agitated bird attacked the goblin. At least they are all pleased about their swimming skills increases.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I had a wereiguana show up and wasn't alerted until he was already across my drawbridge. Thankfully my guard dog distracted him enough that my army was able to kill him with only one dead human visitor! Seconds later, before I could even assess everyone who was injured, a visiting werehedgehog bard (?!) showed up and bit a child.

There had been one dwarf that survived injuries from the wereiguana, so I locked him and the child in a room and walled them in. I had been in the middle of trying to figure out who was a vampire when all this went down, so I figured it would be a good time to check legends.

Turns out the vampire is my broker, the human visitor killed by the wereiguana was an imposter plotting to steal an artifact, and the dwarf locked in with the child was not actually a were-anything, but had been bribed by a goblin to steal the same artifact. Dwarf child werehedgehog eventually took care of the plotter, lava took care of her, and now I just have to figure out if I want to wall my broker in a room and make him the manager, or drop him in a well and turn my fortress into a vampire den.

As an aside, I tried to just evict the dwarf child but when I clicked on her parent in the Relations tab, it just took me to a random empty spot in my fort, and the name isn't anywhere in my list of residents. What's up with that?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

My favorite is when a werecreature transforms when they're in the middle of dancing or something, so not only do they not go berserk and attack your dwarves (because they're still dancing), but dwarves won't see them as an enemy, and they'll usually morph back before the dancing is over and leave peacefully*.

*If I didn't jail them on trumped-up charges and have them killed, that is

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

DFHack is coming to steam soon, for ease of installation and autoupdates. Good time for a new fort :toot:

It's done as a standalone thing because of some folder issue with how it installs: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2346660/DFHack__Dwarf_Fortress_Modding_Engine/

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Ive finnaly gotten a fort to 90+ dwarves and i feel like im in a position to keep going, but im not sure what to do.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

if you've gotten to 90, going further isnt a real leap. The only limit here is the game slowing down. :(

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

Ive finnaly gotten a fort to 90+ dwarves and i feel like im in a position to keep going, but im not sure what to do.

Are you making pants yet? See about setting up some clothes making and get everybody in the fort new pants. Unless they want dresses.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Synthbuttrange posted:

if you've gotten to 90, going further isnt a real leap. The only limit here is the game slowing down. :(

Speaking of

Any way to mass delete animals easily without killing pets

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

butcher em all and let armok sort em out

(you cant butcher pets)

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
quick q about the time passing on this game, when i pause i still see my dwarves moving and stuff, what's happening there?
also I still have so many mussel sheels jesus

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Are they actually moving or is it just flashing between creatures sharing a square?

Time genuinely fully halts on pause.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Re shell: you can have craftsdwarves decorate everything with shell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

I got my first fort to 130 or something and it didn’t feel that hard, even though I know nothing about traps, haven’t seen magma, have no idea how to handle the military (though I did form a squad).

Gonna start a new fortress now but try to get into having it decorated well, and have it run for much longer, see what invaders come and getting down to the magma.