Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Vichan posted:

Christopher: Great, my own mother. gently caress you, you loving whore!

Silvio: Son of a bitch!

when I came in to open up one morning, there you were with your head half in the toilet... your hair was in the toilet water. disgusting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

you just revealed your own ignorance

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I revealed my own WAT?!?! :argh:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So he finally reads a book and it's bullshit.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I read People's History of the United States when I was about 17-18 so I find that scene with AJ super relatable.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

codo27 posted:

3 o'clock

I think about Chrissy's vision of hell all day, every day.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

global tetrahedron posted:

when I came in to open up one morning, there you were with your head half in the toilet... your hair was in the toilet water. disgusting!

I told you, I had the flu...

I said my piece, Chrissy :colbert:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now that would be interesting. :smuggo:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

crispix posted:

I told you, I had the flu...

I said my piece, Chrissy :colbert:

for what it's worth, I can confirm he was sick for a little while there

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Watching Artie loving up is the most painful part of the Sopranos.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMI5BNEfVGk

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Selklubber posted:

In Another Toothpick when he thinks he and Tony are going to go into business together, and when he tries to court Adrianna is more painful than the entirety of Everybody Hurts imo

e: that lamp microphone subplot sure was a wet fart, wasn't it? Chase is fully in "screw the audience" mode at this point.

Futanari Damacy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 31, 2023

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Meadow taking the lamp back to school is just another instance of her "saving" Tony.

The Feds would've had him dead to rights on tape shortly after, if Meadow hadn't taken the lamp.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I did not enjoy watching the sopranos, but, after it was done, I enjoyed having watched the sopranos. I really did enjoy reading jerusalem's summaries over the past few weeks. When I forced myself to finish last year, I'm like, flinching, cringing, saying that's me, the guy getting shot in the face right now is me, everyone in this show would kick my rear end and yell at me for making them do it, and meanwhile I'm missing basic plot ideas like Tony's mom actually wants the cookies. It's a stressful show and it makes my media literacy go into the toilet but I enjoyed having it explained to me afterwards.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Krinkle posted:

Tony's mom actually wants the cookies.

Seeing her face light up and then the way she physically wills herself into declining the cookies just to not give Tony the satisfaction of knowing he'd correctly done something nice for her was astonishing to see happen. What an amazing monster Livia was.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Futanari Damacy posted:

In Another Toothpick when he thinks he and Tony are going to go into business together, and when he tries to court Adrianna is more painful than the entirety of Everybody Hurts imo

e: that lamp microphone subplot sure was a wet fart, wasn't it? Chase is fully in "screw the audience" mode at this point.

God, Artie deciding he was in love with Adriana was the most cringey poo poo, in a show full of stuff that's sometimes hard to watch (in a good way). The scene where he confesses to Tony, who rapidly runs through the emotional gamut of disbelief, hilarity, pity, rage, etc was so good. Jesus christ can you imagine if Chris heard about it

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

~ so go back inside
and get your appraising poo poo
and start appraising ~

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

God, Artie deciding he was in love with Adriana was the most cringey poo poo, in a show full of stuff that's sometimes hard to watch (in a good way). The scene where he confesses to Tony, who rapidly runs through the emotional gamut of disbelief, hilarity, pity, rage, etc was so good. Jesus christ can you imagine if Chris heard about it

and then he does the exact same thing with another hostess who dates a made guy later on :cripes:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Jerusalem posted:

Seeing her face light up and then the way she physically wills herself into declining the cookies just to not give Tony the satisfaction of knowing he'd correctly done something nice for her was astonishing to see happen. What an amazing monster Livia was.

Then there's the one time she can't even be bothered to put up a front. "Almonds? Good, leave 'em here"

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

One thing I liked, and only stuck out to me reading the summaries here, was the visual metaphor of Tony's trauma, and him deciding gently caress it- just get high on peyote in the desert for a chemical epiphany and skip the hard work of therapy. Meanwhile his guys found that it was too much of a hassle to properly dispose of asbestos (even half assedly) so they just dumped it in some wetlands. Incredibly on the nose. He would not engage with therapy or process his toxic poo poo and in the end he dumps it. It will cause other people's problems in the future and he won't acknowledge the connection. Melfi ending their sessions feels like a formality at that point. He was done with it the instant he cried at the sun and tried to tell everyone ehh you had to be there.

Also I think a the-test-dream-explained essay snuck in an idea that when he yelled "he's dead" to the las vegas sky he was actually maybe talking about his dad instead of just christopher. He never has to feel bad about finger chops or shot beehive hairdos again.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Palmtree Panic posted:

Meadow taking the lamp back to school is just another instance of her "saving" Tony.

The Feds would've had him dead to rights on tape shortly after, if Meadow hadn't taken the lamp.

Yeah, Meadow is his unwitting guardian angel. Recall that Fabby Petrulio, the “rat” Tony spots in s1e5 “College” is onto him, and manages to figure out what hotel they’re staying in.

He shows up one night to kill Tony, then decides not to take the shot because Tony is helping his drunken daughter into their room.

And then of course, she’s late for dinner in the ultimate episode because she’s having trouble parallel parking. My interpretation is that the bell on the door rings for the last time as she walks in, to see her father shot in the head from Tree ‘o Clock. Guardian angel magic finally used up.

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

Selklubber posted:

It’s so brilliant, he’s like Tony’s funhouse reflection. Artie himself is a gourmet chef, co-owns and operates a successful restaurant, is capable of personal warmth, and sometimes even manages to be charming. He should be one of the coolest dudes on the show, but his own inability to face up to his personal failings and grow from them hold him back.

Love him.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Selklubber posted:

qu'est-ce que c'est?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

you figured, worst case, you eat for free

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Really? You know better than New Jersey Zagat?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"I guess because you know how to eat, you know how to run a restaurant" said to Tony of all people is a mic drop.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Artie is the only person who could get away with poo poo like that. He also threw food at Tony and pulled a gun on him.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

It was a nerd rear end gun to pull on tony. I think that helped.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s his rabbit hunting rifle.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Artie is maybe the only character in the show to get a happy ending. And it's literally just "this guy's midlife crisis might be over".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It makes Artie and Charmaine’s last scene with Tony and Carmela so satisfying. They’re back together, the restaurant has recovered, their kids are doing well, etc. And Tony is trying to be the sadclown while Carm is just openly insulting her children to try and save face.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Jerusalem posted:

leave some fuh the idiots

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Futanari Damacy posted:

Then there's the one time she can't even be bothered to put up a front. "Almonds? Good, leave 'em here"

BRING THUH COOKIES

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

She must have realized Tony only handed them out because that cookie poo poo makes him nervous.

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 1, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
*choking fit*

Why do they make cookies that way?!

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
You’re using mesquite! It makes the sausage taste peculiar!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

gabagool?! ovaaah heeeeeh

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

imo my favorite scene from the show is Tony beating up Zellman in his underwear while the Chi-Lites are playing in the background

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Zelman all casual like “oh hi Tony. What brings you here?” to a man who not only showed up unannounced at his house in the middle of the night but made his way up to the bedroom and is looming over him and removing his belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Even funnier is how that eventually led to the dissolution of his marriage