Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

M_Gargantua posted:

The problem being Maya as Demiurge is incredibly Rad and that contradicts her whole lesson.

Sorry not listening to wisdom, to busy simping

She's rad but so are all of them, and none of them were ever happy, except grandpa dragon when he forgot to be sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
One thing that is really nice about Maya and Alison is that this is going by so quickly. Boom, Flashback. Boom, Jagganoth with hair. Boom, blue skinned blood arts rear end in a top hat. Boom, quick fight scene that's awesome. Boom, training montage and now Maya has turned a number of forum goons gay.

This is in contrast to Jadis arc, which felt like an eternity. Note, I know that's intentional because Jadis was about falling into complacency and loss, but it is super refreshing to go from the drawn out to this blistering quick pace.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Allison has gotten to this point killing precisely zero demiurges. The point isn't to kill them, but to kill their way of life. You don't do that by killing one or all of them extra hard, someone will always rise to take their place. Maya's name is Murder the Gods and Topple Their Thrones, but what if we just Toppled Their Thrones?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Brief aside, but I just recommended this comic to some friends and going back to the first page makes the artistic development of this comic so obvious. The latest page is barely looks like it's from the same artist it's so many leagues ahead in colouring, linework, background, etc.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

maswastaken posted:

Sounds like the question is going to be "How do I win?" and the answer, "lol. lmao."

No, that was Incubus’ question.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Donkringel posted:

This is in contrast to Jadis arc, which felt like an eternity.

It did take more than a real-life year, that might be part of it. Yeah, I couldn't believe it either.

coolusername posted:

Brief aside, but I just recommended this comic to some friends and going back to the first page makes the artistic development of this comic so obvious. The latest page is barely looks like it's from the same artist it's so many leagues ahead in colouring, linework, background, etc.

IIRC the first several pages weren't even colored until like a year in.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 1, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A.o.D. posted:

Maya's name is Murder the Gods and Topple Their Thrones, but what if we just Toppled Their Thrones?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GreenMetalSun posted:

he's not excellent

anyways, im gay

hi gay, i'm zoss

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

e: rip me, triple posting

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bussamove posted:

It's interesting that Maya's kept her head shaved, while Allison is growing hers out. Did Meti do the same thing in the flashbacks we've seen with her and her two terrible students?

Also goddamn Maya save some baller for the rest of us.

Maya didn't actually shave her head, she just chose to become bald.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Maya didn't actually shave her head, she just chose to become bald.

She wields the Maybe Clippers.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

She needs to stop hogging all the means of production and give her key's powers to everyone equally. The point of this comic is that communism is the way forward.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

coolusername posted:

For all the fantastic improvements Abbadon has made, I still prefer the original art style for the comic. The less polished look lent a certain mood to the setting that I think has steadily diminished throughout the comic. Things feel less ugly, less alien, and less...weirdly uncomfortable (?) than they do when rereading the early pages. Maybe that's an intentional change to reflect Allison's growing familiarity with Throne, but it's also a feature that really drew me in at first.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think all those weird alien looking demon designs are really hard to keep up, and he can emote and do action scenes better with more recognizably human characters. So it makes sense that over time he gravitated towards those.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
the right question is "how do I cut him" imo

or maybe just "how do I cut"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

placing my bet on this

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Allison has gotten to this point killing precisely zero demiurges. The point isn't to kill them, but to kill their way of life. You don't do that by killing one or all of them extra hard, someone will always rise to take their place. Maya's name is Murder the Gods and Topple Their Thrones, but what if we just Toppled Their Thrones?

Well actually that 'another will take their place' thing was what I had in mind in a 'find people who will listen to her and explain that they need to form a posse with gog to whoop jagganuts. If she can just vamp In and throw them for a whirl to get them to do that much it'd also count.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vorgen posted:

She needs to stop hogging all the means of production and give her key's powers to everyone equally. The point of this comic is that communism is the way forward.

The only thing greater than Royalty is typically a Revolution.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think all those weird alien looking demon designs are really hard to keep up, and he can emote and do action scenes better with more recognizably human characters. So it makes sense that over time he gravitated towards those.

i feel like the original inferno, uh not that original one uh, what the gently caress's that guy's name? anyway that was like a work. you probably really got to get into the mode to be belting out poo poo like that

fake edit: barlowe's inferno, i knew it started with a b but had to start googling to remember.
which also has the complex diadem-like manifestations of halos (which i'm not an art expert), but seems like an extremely derived form from the sunbursts of the bronze age or w/e the first halos cropped up from. Probably a cave dork waking up and being like "oh poo poo og u looked badass for a second"

does anybody know if there's an example of this more complicated motif that predates barlowe? this halo of words?

Barlowe's use of weird symbols is clearly pulled from various kinds of angel magic and stuff like that, the ring-terminated symbols are pretty distinctive, which is a derived form of normal writing that goes back to hebrew. In barlowe's they don't always show up as crowns or halos, but they can. This use is p certainly referring back to renaissance halos being floating disks or rings in perspective, which goes back to older depictions as a sun disk behind the head or having a ring of fire or w/e

in k6bd it has evolved to this manifested willpower / spiritual potency type effect, and always seems to take the form of a crown, which is then colored by the "backing agent" like the word fire or blade or etc. As you go less in power i think they may become more specific, more finely divided, like devil names, but i'm not 100% on this don't remember. smaller pieces of understanding are fused together to more universal concepts until you get zoss' singular crown, which is like dee's monad glyph (maybe not coincidentally this glyph is the 7 classical planets -- lo and behold we got 7 jerkbags).

in k6bd you can get words by just kicking rear end real hard, which is an innovation. but like dee you can sort of backtrace to the primeval real-deal language and get the 72 names of god, and then sorta merge them into the one real king-rear end king thing. Also like dee k6bd is anti-realist or antimaterialist or w/e -- there's an philosophy term that isn't jumping into my brain rn that explains what i mean. idk i don't have the faculty to hammer this out well enough atm & and getting off into the weeds.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Donkringel posted:

What is a War Shade?

That thing she is being carried on?

Does she need that many?

also yeah, she's just on a normal sedan & i'm like 99% sure warshades are the hulking devils like the one to her left. if that thing's even a devil. i bet it's something like that tho, she's talking about them the same way she talks about war chariots or like you can imagine some old-era hannibal talking about war elephants

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Her eyes are very similar (or even identical) to stinkboi's there in the last panel

Poisoned by the sword.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pattonesque posted:

I dunno, it seems like that question gets answered when you become capable of Cutting rather than by having somebody tell it to you.

It probably isn't even the right solution to Jagg! Once she ask the right question and obtains an answer, fighting him is probably going to become irrelevant.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

habeasdorkus posted:

Poisoned by the sword.

Christ, maybe wash that blade once in a while.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Asking how to cut is probably the question to ask when wanting to master the sword, but that isn't a question that will actually solve the issue of Jaggahog considering his immortality/invincibility granted by Metatron him/itself.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The answer to "how do I cut Jagganoth" is the same as the answer to "how do I kill/defeat/fight Jagganoth", which is: you can't. There exists an absolute physical power, his name is Jagganoth.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Maybe it’s something about how do the mice save themselves?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The right question isn’t “how do I defeat him?” it’s “how do I make him lose?”

The answers are not the same.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm glad to see Alison swole again.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder if those swords on Queen Maya's sedan are decorative or if she's like a golfer, and one sword is like a 3 wood, and another a putter, etc

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

also yeah, she's just on a normal sedan & i'm like 99% sure warshades are the hulking devils like the one to her left. if that thing's even a devil. i bet it's something like that tho, she's talking about them the same way she talks about war chariots or like you can imagine some old-era hannibal talking about war elephants

shades are already just the souls of the dead in this universe, no? i assume that it's ones that've been bound to something they animate to fight, or which are particularly coherent and used for fighting, or whatever

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

There's a non-zero chance that she has additional hidden swords providing the internal support structure for her hairstyle.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Maya is one of those pokemon trainers that only chooses moves that deal damage. "Do I need something to balance this build out? Nah, more swords."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Scallop Eyes posted:

Maya is one of those pokemon trainers that only chooses moves that deal damage. "Do I need something to balance this build out? Nah, more swords."

*sweats intensely at prompt to forget a move for Swords Damce*

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

I wonder if those swords on Queen Maya's sedan are decorative or if she's like a golfer, and one sword is like a 3 wood, and another a putter, etc

She needs a sword golf bag like Zeno from FF 14.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I thought the question was "what do you think about death?", because that's the one that Maya's been asking since Book 1.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I thought the question was "what do you think about death?", because that's the one that Maya's been asking since Book 1.

oooh that's a good one

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I don't think Jagganoth needs to be defeated. I think he needs to be saved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Metatron is the one that needs a good killin