Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1642053659713314817

With 11 minutes to spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1642054942700584963

alright then

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
This lady is hard as hell

https://twitter.com/_MarcusD3_/status/1642012388059742210

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

quote:

The NBA is implementing a second salary cap apron -- $17.5 million over the tax line -- and those teams will no longer have access to the taxpayer mid-level in free agency. Those changes will be eased into the salary cap over a period of years.

Under these changes, Golden State's Donte DiVincenzo, Milwaukee's Joe Ingles, Boston's Danilo Gallinari and former Clippers guard John Wall wouldn't have been able to sign with those teams last summer.

Lmao drat gotta shut those dudes getting paid down NBA. But, the taxpayer MLE was already kind of a joke so this seems like something that was probably easy to give up especially since non-supermax raises got upped to 140% which is basically Jaylen Brown keeping the tradition Chris Paul started alive of putting his own bag ahead the the NBA middle class. The extra two way slot is an unexpected win for the entry level class so I'm only half serious with that comment.

The midseason tournament will probably be fun but is pretty stupid but oh well Adam Silver wasn't ever going to give up on it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The first midseason tournament injury is going to drive a season’s worth of discourse.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1642061058251603968

https://twitter.com/OfficialNBABuzz/status/1642060487922954240

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Getting rolled by the knicks makes fools of us all. I totally understand and am here for you in your hour of need.

Thank you I wasn't myself

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vox Nihili posted:

I've heard enough. The Lakers are guilty of releasing COVID-19 on an unsuspecting world.

They actually got it before the Suns game so you should blame either them or the Kings (who they played previously before traveling to Phoenix)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

So legit. Amazing some of the best defenders in the country (at least at the college level) just getting absolutely cooked.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1642066134240206849?s=46&t=3d9JmXOJWgE8nozHLwUyjQ

Good on them

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I really want to hear the details on the new trade rules for under the cap teams that Woj mentioned in his first tweet. Like it makes sense that they would do something to facilitate teams with high salary moving players to teams with low salary but it rarely happens so maybe the rules will help that.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

In season tournament is dumb. As someone said the first injury will launch a million takes or the first team to load manage through it.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I'm in favor of weaker caps, but KD/others being able to promote his own line of overpriced marijuana products is pretty cool, so it's hard to say whether the new agreement is good or bad.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Ringers a loving joke. Sbnation level content

As the manager of an SBNation site I feel attacked but also it's p. much true

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Aye Doc posted:

the Celtics are one of the most stacked teams in the league of course individual achievements are going to be scrutinized a little harder for anyone benefiting from that. what do Brown's numbers look like if he's playing with Gabe Vincent, Max Strus, Tyler Herro, Caleb Martin, and Bam Adebayo instead of his Good Team?

i know the answer to this one: nobody knows

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
The details of the in season tournament say that all games except the championship are baked into the regular season. The two teams who make the championship will play 83 games so there shouldn’t be any complaining about injuries from extra games. I don’t understand how this is going to work but that’s the details they gave.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

who will be the first NBA player elected to the hall of fame primarily on the back of in-season tournament championships

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

The details of the in season tournament say that all games except the championship are baked into the regular season. The two teams who make the championship will play 83 games so there shouldn’t be any complaining about injuries from extra games. I don’t understand how this is going to work but that’s the details they gave.

I thought only the poop play games are baked in. Link?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Rick posted:

So legit. Amazing some of the best defenders in the country (at least at the college level) just getting absolutely cooked.

I’ve been on a YouTube binge watching her drop 30+ on teams left and right. It’s amazing. She’s so much better than her opponents, it’s baffling.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

65 games?

Introducing 2 time MVP Russell Westbrook

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Aye Doc posted:

who will be the first NBA player elected to the hall of fame primarily on the back of in-season tournament championships

me

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

RCarr posted:

I thought only the poop play games are baked in. Link?

I don't know about poop play games but no one is a more respectful Scat enthusiast than Silver so I am sure things will be at the utmost class.

For in-season this is the framework they were considering earlier this season:

quote:

The eight teams with the best records in those games (pool games) would advance to a single-elimination tournament in December. The other 22 teams would continue their regular seasons.

All In-Season Tournament games would count as part of the 82-game schedule. The two teams that reach the final will end up playing play one extra game during the regular season (83 total).

Charania provided an update on this report on Nov. 30, suggesting that if/when the In-Season Tournament is approved, the NBA would release an 80-game schedule, with each team's final two games scheduled after eight teams advanced to the knockout rounds of the tournament.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-in-season-tournament-regular-season/cn3fenkdydgijf189tjlaigg

That sounds like what they're doing so as to "how": Each team has two built in flex games. Otherwise all of the tournament games just count as regular season records. And since I am not aware of players being immune to injury during regular season games either this just seems like a way to add a little spice to what's an overly long regular season anyway.

I was hoping the tourny winner would get, like, a guaranteed first round home series or something competitive. This years West I could absolutely have seen a team winning that tournament but now struggling to get or keep in the top 4.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 1, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/1642035112425447425?s=19

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the in season tournament is bad, nobody wants it

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I'm trying to figure out where the demand for this in-season tournament is coming from. It's not like fans are clamoring for it, so why the push to make it happen?

Also can't wait for some team to get hot early, make the tournament, and then cool off and miss the playoffs by a hairs-breadth because they had to play an extra couple games against the Bucks/Warriors/whoever relative to their opponents. It could have very well happened in the West this year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Increased minimum games played for an award, plus a tournament, but no reduction in regular season games. Sounds great for players.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

the in season tournament is bad, nobody wants it

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
It sounds fun why do you bozos hate fun

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
The player associations in general are pretty ok with taking deals which are bad for the elite players. At least they aren’t signing up franchise tag’s like the NFL. I wonder what the projected revenue from the tournament was. I really wonder if it’s as simple as Turner/ESPN will pay X for this extra game.

So all our elite forwards over 30 are never making all NBA again?? I am going laugh when this means some random guy makes 3rd team all nba demands the max and screws a team’s salary cap.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Henchman of Santa posted:

Increased minimum games played for an award, plus a tournament, but no reduction in regular season games. Sounds great for players.

I called it, swish

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
There isn’t an increase in games.

The in-season tournament will arrive beginning in the 2023-24 season. The event will include pool-play games baked into the regular-season schedule starting in November — with eight teams advancing to a single-elimination tournament in December. The Final Four will be held at a neutral site, with Las Vegas prominent in the discussion, sources said.

Each in-season tournament game would count toward regular-season standings; the two finalists would ultimately play 83 regular-season games. Winning players and coaches will earn additional prize money.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
What is the point of a tournament that’s part of the regular season? You can’t even do the fun ideas like throw a G-League or Eurobasket team in that way.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the goal at some point and this is just the start.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Ja morant had 57 games last year when he won MIP and then in the covid year giannis/trez/ingram all had under 65. That's it going back to 2016.

postseason includes all-nba right? this year feels different with steph, KD, AD and... dame? loads I'm not thinking of. I don't want to go thru those historically either.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
i wonder if the game minimum is an attempt to curtail load managementing the name players.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

In season tournament sounds fun and I guarantee the ratings for it will be higher than they would for normal games

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
The WNBA Commissioner's Cup is just a nice little bonus thing, I don't think doing it that way changes a lot of things. Games are marked as such so it's another incentive to catch that game since it counts for the in season tournament.

Will give people another thing to talk about and keep eyes during a long season and maybe tune in to Tuesday Pistons/Wizards games.

dokmo posted:

i wonder if the game minimum is an attempt to curtail load managementing the name players.

100%

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am genuinely perplexed at what the point is for an in-season tournament, but it seems like it would be a funny thing to make fun of a crappy team for winning and then putting up a banner.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

IcePhoenix posted:

In season tournament sounds fun and I guarantee the ratings for it will be higher than they would for normal games

yeah and a whole lot more interesting than the all star game which should be scrapped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Kind of incredible considering the depth and talent that's out there now.

Not a hot take, but women's college basketball nowadays is a better and more enjoyable experience than watching the men frantically chuck shots every possession.