Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Boba Pearl posted:

Name a game with more realistic graphics, a more star studded cast, another game where Christopher Walken calls you a slur.

dis game is un-FUCKIN-believable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

and that's why one might learn more about the crushing effects of capitalistic enterprise right here, in the mines just outside ebonheart, than in any university classroom

nebula is an online streaming service that

Lmao

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

and that's why one might learn more about the crushing effects of capitalistic enterprise right here, in the mines just outside ebonheart, than in any university classroom

nebula is an online streaming service that

haha what posted:

dis game is un-FUCKIN-believable

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ulvir posted:

its kind of insulting how these 4 hour long videos of someone senselessly rambling on about some children's cartoon or whatever gets called a video "essay", there's nothing remotely essayistic about any of them. there's not even any creative use of the camera, it's just "here's some cut footage from this thing, here's some more, here's a shot centred precicely at my upper torso like a TV presenter, back to more footage" before they end with a little shake of their beggar's cup

It's always just "let me read the summary of every quest from the wiki".

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Research

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

a while back I watched a comprehensive breakdown/retrospective/review of Morrowind that was 8 hours long, and then followed it with one by the same guy about Oblivion that was 12 hours long, and then finished that off with a two parter about Skyrim that was 20 hours in total. They were pretty good. Dude knew his stuff.

would rather blow my brains out

surc
Aug 17, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

wouldnt it be cool if the bandits started wearing the best armor in the game and still tried to shake you down for five gold coins

That's just consistent worldbuilding, the player wears the best armor in the game and just wanders around stealing worthless poo poo from everybody, so will the npcs

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The worst type of 'essay' is when the author painstakingly tells you the plot of the TV show, episode by episode, making jokes and unrelated observations, and barely summing it up in a coherent point somewhere towards the end of the video. I've seen the show, I know the plot! Otherwise I wouldn't be interested in what someone else thinks about it. You can just reference things we both already know, you don't need to literally include every plot point to say the show is actually about climate change. But it's actually even worse when it's an 'essay' about how some stupid show like Brickleberry is actually bad and they try to explain why every single joke in the show is either funny or not for 3 hours. Utterly pointless Nostalgia Critic tier drivel.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I just remembered one of my favorite threads in the goldmine. It's not as funny as I remember it these days, but it's still good.

Join us in Ducktales Online!

Carecat posted:

Anyone who found out the exploit to attach a plunger to your belt slot please talk to me ASAP. Someone told the pubbies how to do it and everyone is blaming us for half the server waddling around with what appear to be giant boners.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
the biggest problem w these guys is theyre too stupid to be analyzing anything more complex than the back of a cereal box, but theyve found an audience of equally credulous rubes willing to fork over both hours of their lives and money to someone who would get a c- on their work

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

how the hell did senior woodchuck not post in that thread

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

the biggest problem w these guys is theyre too stupid to be analyzing anything more complex than the back of a cereal box, but theyve found an audience of equally credulous rubes willing to fork over both hours of their lives and money to someone who would get a c- on their work

Paladinus posted:

The worst type of 'essay' is when the author painstakingly tells you the plot of the TV show, episode by episode, making jokes and unrelated observations, and barely summing it up in a coherent point somewhere towards the end of the video. I've seen the show, I know the plot! Otherwise I wouldn't be interested in what someone else thinks about it. You can just reference things we both already know, you don't need to literally include every plot point to say the show is actually about climate change. But it's actually even worse when it's an 'essay' about how some stupid show like Brickleberry is actually bad and they try to explain why every single joke in the show is either funny or not for 3 hours. Utterly pointless Nostalgia Critic tier drivel.

I'm reminded of how mentioning Quinton Reviews in the Online Creators thread usually results in a derail as people get mad that he spends dozens of hours basically recapping a Nickelodeon kids show like iCarly and never once talks about the fact it was a show run by Dan Schneider.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmFQR0IltDQ

This guy mostly does very lengthy video game analyses but he does actually talk about themes and what kind of stuff lands in games and what doesn't but he also does these long travelogues like this one where he and a friend actually drove the Lincoln Highway across the country and it made a very good companion to achievement hunting in Vampire Survivors

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

pentyne posted:

never once talks about the fact it was a show run by Dan Schneider.

those videos are like 6 hours long lol that’s absurd to not even talk about the most notorious aspect of production.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the quinton reviews are closer to outsider art than traditional essays

the world's dullest man droning for hours over a sitcom for tweens

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
at first i thought y'all were talking about hbomberguy or lindsey ellis or whatever and was like "no no their video essays are GOOD and INTERESTING honest GUYS" but then i realized you were talking about the Incredibly Normal People who Upload 30 Hours Discussing Nicktoons and :psyduck: yeah

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
throwing jenny nicholson into the thread like a molotov cocktail

rox
Sep 7, 2016

her vids are cool, i liked the one about the worst best ghost hunting show paranormal home inspectors

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

the church play cinematic universe one was legit hilarious

she def does pretty well researched stuff so it's a lot difference than some guy reading a wiki for 9 hours but some of her stuff is so niche and incredibly long that you wonder where the market is for that and then you remember she has even longer patreon only videos

plus if you mention her in the RLM thread it immediately ignites a pro jenny/anti jenny holy war

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I agree with Radia.
Jenny Nicholson is great.
I also enjoy Sarah Z and Izzy, especially when they're talking about some aspect of internet culture or Fandom that I have zero experience with or previous interest in. They present their stuff in a manner that's easy to listen to, and Izzy always has a different spectacular makeup and fashion thing going on. I'm a simple guy. I like pretty wild colours.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Who was that woman twitter weirdos tried to drag over a 12 hour Joker review by a bunch of a furries, and when she tweeted "yeah, I'm not gonna watch that" she got a ton of poo poo from people accusing her of making it about herself for no reason until she pointed out they literally put her name in the title of the video.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Youtube recommended me a 20 minute video on the Missing 411 series and now I hate short video essays

These deaths and their circumstances are all extremely explainable! There's no mystery about any of them!!

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Izzy is a fashion icon

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

B33rChiller posted:

I agree with Radia.
I also enjoy Sarah Z and Izzy, especially when they're talking about some aspect of internet culture or Fandom that I have zero experience with or previous interest in. They present their stuff in a manner that's easy to listen to, and Izzy always has a different spectacular makeup and fashion thing going on. I'm a simple guy. I like pretty wild colours.

this is correct

haha what posted:

her vids are cool, i liked the one about the worst best ghost hunting show paranormal home inspectors

i really want to unironically watch that just for the insanity of it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

pentyne posted:

I'm reminded of how mentioning Quinton Reviews in the Online Creators thread usually results in a derail as people get mad that he spends dozens of hours basically recapping a Nickelodeon kids show like iCarly and never once talks about the fact it was a show run by Dan Schneider.

The videos creep me out

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Lady Radia posted:

at first i thought y'all were talking about hbomberguy or lindsey ellis or whatever and was like "no no their video essays are GOOD and INTERESTING honest GUYS" but then i realized you were talking about the Incredibly Normal People who Upload 30 Hours Discussing Nicktoons and :psyduck: yeah

Yeah, there are good essayists who are on youtube. Even ones dealing with frivolous subjects like the handwich, VamPire Diaries, or Gorillaz Plastic Beach; but youtube just sees “this viewer likes long videos I bet she wants to hear a full reading of the Archie Sonic Comics wiki” after watching them and I really don’t

Edit: I see I didn’t need to make the oblique jenny reference since someone else already got there

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

womb with a view posted:

Youtube recommended me a 20 minute video on the Missing 411 series and now I hate short video essays

These deaths and their circumstances are all extremely explainable! There's no mystery about any of them!!

Missing 411 symptoms: is disabled, a child, or elderly; disappeared near water or heights.

What happened NOBODY KNOWS

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

B33rChiller posted:

I agree with Radia.

I can't deal with Sarah Z's holding a glass in one hand and never moving it or drinking from it. It's fine to have a signature thing but it just screams "this is a prop" and is so mundane that it stands out

rox
Sep 7, 2016

TheSwizzler posted:

Izzy is a fashion icon

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Dear youtueb, I enjoyed it the first couple times, but stop autoplaying Dan Olsen's latest after every other video, thanks.
But please keep up the fall of civilizations autoplay for sleepy time

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Heath posted:

I can't deal with Sarah Z's holding a glass in one hand and never moving it or drinking from it. It's fine to have a signature thing but it just screams "this is a prop" and is so mundane that it stands out

Maybe I dreamed it but I swear she specifically mentioned that to be a thing she does to bait comments. I can enjoy the idea that people get mad enough about a glass that it drives engagement.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

B33rChiller posted:

Dear youtueb, I enjoyed it the first couple times, but stop autoplaying Dan Olsen's latest after every other video, thanks.

you'd think youtube, which has literally the history of every video i've ever watched on their platform, would know that no i don't want to be recommended something i've already watched, especially as a play next

e: okay actually it doesn't, i delete ben shapiro or whatever when cspam gets me to hatewatch it but you get what i mean

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

TheSwizzler posted:

Izzy is a fashion icon

I steal their eye looks with alarming frequency.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Arivia posted:

e: okay actually it doesn't, i delete ben shapiro or whatever when cspam gets me to hatewatch it but you get what i mean

skill issue

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Arivia posted:

you'd think youtube, which has literally the history of every video i've ever watched on their platform, would know that no i don't want to be recommended something i've already watched, especially as a play next

they even have an option to 'not recommend' a video for the reason 'already watched' and they freakin do it anyways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Grassy Knowles posted:

Maybe I dreamed it but I swear she specifically mentioned that to be a thing she does to bait comments. I can enjoy the idea that people get mad enough about a glass that it drives engagement.

I mean that's fine I guess but it's effectively the same thing as that "hurr durr look at me I'm a moron" "Shut the gently caress up moron" "haha got em" comic where yeah I get what you're doing but it is actually annoying

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Stux posted:

would rather blow my brains out

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I have spent well over a decade curating my youtube so that these days it mostly recommends dj sets, vinyl rips, album uploads, live performances, etc. it kicks rear end.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Heath posted:

I mean that's fine I guess but it's effectively the same thing as that "hurr durr look at me I'm a moron" "Shut the gently caress up moron" "haha got em" comic where yeah I get what you're doing but it is actually annoying

have u thought about not caring? how do you not just tune it out lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

for a while people would always do some bizarre mispronunciations to drive engagement