Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jabor posted:

Although unlike planeswalkers, you get to choose whether you put battles in your deck alongside those cards.

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Is this any good in standard, seems like the counter would still be useful enough in shutting off common enough 2 mana non RG spells.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Khanstant posted:

Is this any good in standard, seems like the counter would still be useful enough in shutting off common enough 2 mana non RG spells.

Oof that's a gnarly card against Red Deck Wins, it's basically a 1U Counterspell. We're not even supposed to get UU Counterspell anymore!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Seems pretty strong, lot of good hits. Fable, Bankbuster, most of Grixis’ removal, Corpse Appraiser, Thalia, Hearse.

Great sideboard card, but I think it might be good enough to main deck even if it’ll be weak in some match ups.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
On second thought, this thing loving owns a bunch of cards in GW Tox decks too. I wonder if this is enough to boost MonoU Tempo into Tier 1 for Standard.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Rinkles posted:

Seems pretty strong, lot of good hits. Fable, Bankbuster, most of Grixis’ removal, Corpse Appraiser, Thalia, Hearse.

Great sideboard card, but I think it might be good enough to main deck even if it’ll be weak in some match ups.

I think it's better than Make Disappear.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mycomancy posted:

I think it's better than Make Disappear.

In general yeah. For mono blue, though I’d be worried about Invoke Despair.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

It's the two best Strixhaven characters and this could be the card that makes me want to play commander again, but, listen, I keep reading this card name as Timon and Pumbaa. It's not my fault! It's not my fault. It's a new cool durdle commander that I will lose with over and over again and I want to call it my timon and pumbaa deck, because I probably won't be doing much except eating bugs (sacrificing pests and insect tokens) and kingmaking (raising Simba).

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
So the mtg japanese site has it's april fools page up, and it's a celebration of the 300th anniversary of game. There's a fake timeline and everything. Google translate works really well, but you kinda need to tilt your head 90 degrees to read it.

https://mtg-jp.com/

https://twitter.com/mtgjp/status/1641998940420857857
Ji Eishu vs Zhang Dongluo (from 1823 "Rouin")

Lol one of the twitter replies to the quoted tweet is "When Oko-dono, Uro-dono, and Omonasu-dono were imprisoned in the Ansei Purge, I felt murderous against the shogunate, but now that I think about it, it can't be helped..."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

Nah I think it's very bad as a main deck card, make disappear plus negate are still better

I guess it probably goes into "oops all counterspells.dec"

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Being unable to counter on curve on the draw against a bunch of decks makes Change the Equation not that playable MD. Strong SB card though.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

incubate is gonna be an incredibly strong mechanic in limited, the way theyre using it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sylvian Wastes posted:

So the mtg japanese site has it's april fools page up, and it's a celebration of the 300th anniversary of game. There's a fake timeline and everything. Google translate works really well, but you kinda need to tilt your head 90 degrees to read it.

https://mtg-jp.com/

https://twitter.com/mtgjp/status/1641998940420857857
Ji Eishu vs Zhang Dongluo (from 1823 "Rouin")

Lol one of the twitter replies to the quoted tweet is "When Oko-dono, Uro-dono, and Omonasu-dono were imprisoned in the Ansei Purge, I felt murderous against the shogunate, but now that I think about it, it can't be helped..."

Haven't clicked the thing yet but I already want a set done in this style in the thumbnail hot drat

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

It's me or this Is really good?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

very appropriate

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's me or this Is really good?

yes

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's fine, but not fantastic. Against wide aggro decks it costs 5, and if sweeping the board this turn and playing a chonky creature next turn is enough to put away the game then any of the other sweepers will also do that. In other matchups getting a 2/2 or whatever when you clean up Wandering Emperor tokens is fine, but not really exceptional either.

I don't see it being run over Depopulate ever, maybe replaces some copies of Farewell if that versatility becomes less important?

Absolute limited bomb though, as sweepers tend to be.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit

Khanstant posted:

Haven't clicked the thing yet but I already want a set done in this style in the thumbnail hot drat

They're doing some odd fading in thing with the images on the april fools site that results in getting these sorts of .png images with transparent backgrounds missing the background they're supposed have because is a separate image directly underneath that you cant click on.

These could probably be saved and resized or
used as avatars.

edit: these 2 extra are just .jpgs, no extra layers.

Sylvian Wastes fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 1, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jabor posted:

I don't see it being run over Depopulate ever, maybe replaces some copies of Farewell if that versatility becomes less important?

Absolute limited bomb though, as sweepers tend to be.

Depopulate and Farewell are both rotating in autumn, currently no replacement 4 mana sweeper in standard

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Based on only seeing wedge 3 colour teamups so far, I'm going to make the no doubt very wrong guess that WotC are going to finish the cycle and have the enemy tangolands in this set

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Does anyone remember 1996 when a Jester's Cap was worth the same as an Alpha Tropical Island (~$30)

Also what the hell is the Killer Instinct card game?

https://imgur.com/a/UZ4Sg

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tropical Island is just a land, you know

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Whooping Crabs posted:

Does anyone remember 1996 when a Jester's Cap was worth the same as an Alpha Tropical Island (~$30)

Also what the hell is the Killer Instinct card game?

https://imgur.com/a/UZ4Sg

Hi that's me I remember! Wish I wasn't 13 then and had disposable income. I would've 100% bought a playset of Beta or Unlimited if I was 10 years older.

Also that KI game is probably in a landfall next to all the Decipher Star Trek cards that no one bought.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I remember checking the back of Inquest magazine when it arrived and being blown away that a Black Lotus could be worth as much as $300

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I got a taigia out of an unlimited starter deck and was really upset at it being the ‘rare’ when I was 10, and then someone who worked at the card shop told me it was worth 20 bucks and I still didn’t give a poo poo. Leviathan is a 10/10 flier, that’s where it’s at.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I tried getting into Magic as a kid but only had like 2-3 booster packs worth of cards from a birthday or something, and it was only these older kids who knew how to play and they were not interested in teaching (and in hindsight doubt they even knew the rules really). I wanted lands as I only had a couple. After a few weeks I traded em for Pokemon cards since we were all into Pokemon and didn't really play by the rules but could half-rear end a game of sorts with them, or just collect to try and get the whole set or your favs.

Glad I don't remember what I had, or even what set the boosters were lol.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I remember how we played Pokemon as kids: Shuffle all your Pokemon cards together, each player reveals the top of their deck, and the one with higher HP wins. Loser is knocked out and discarded, then you reshuffle and try again.

Now cards from those days in mint conditions are all worth hundreds of dollars. What's a sleeve?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I played some cards in the starter deck duels thing on Arena today, one of them brought something from graveyard or exile to my hand. I hadn't paid attention before but it shows your opponent that card. The card I used to get it in hand said nothing specifically about revealing it to an opponent.

The opponent would know what card it is, it's not a secret, but it's also a reminder that only benefits your opponent. And if my opponent IRL asked because they forgot, I'd tell them or show them the card again. But would I have to?

Just wondering if since that card was public information, and there is no mystery at all as to where that card is, are you also obligated to reshare that information at any time. In context of Arena, this card is face-up to your opponent in hand.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Khanstant posted:

Looking forwards to describing this card as "effectively counterspell in Modern" and seeing how much it upsets people.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Exiling everything is a significant upside and not one they've ever put on a 5 mana wrath before (without a downside). Given that you can also make a guy later Sunfall seems pretty pushed.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

How much of a downside do you think they'd have to put on a card to do a one mana board wipe? "W: Destroy all creatures. Your opponent gains 20 life."

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I played some cards in the starter deck duels thing on Arena today, one of them brought something from graveyard or exile to my hand. I hadn't paid attention before but it shows your opponent that card. The card I used to get it in hand said nothing specifically about revealing it to an opponent.

The opponent would know what card it is, it's not a secret, but it's also a reminder that only benefits your opponent. And if my opponent IRL asked because they forgot, I'd tell them or show them the card again. But would I have to?

Just wondering if since that card was public information, and there is no mystery at all as to where that card is, are you also obligated to reshare that information at any time. In context of Arena, this card is face-up to your opponent in hand.

If you're playing in a competitive level event your opponent is expected to track this information themselves and you're under no obligation to help remind them. At more casual events you can do it if you don't feel like being a dick.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

So are we getting a new Professor Onyx in this set or what, I wanna see Liliana going all Professor McGonagall on some phyrexians

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

CatstropheWaitress posted:

How much of a downside do you think they'd have to put on a card to do a one mana board wipe? "W: Destroy all creatures. Your opponent gains 20 life."

They'd make it so you have to play it right when you draw it, and only if it's the first card you drew that turn. You'd be able to play it normally, but it would cost six mana instead.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It could make the opponent gain a trillion life and I'd still play that card in my Jace, Wielder of Mysteries deck. Maybe they could print "W: Destroy all creatures. You lose 19 life." Or "W: Destroy all creatures. Sacrifice all lands you control." Those might still get played, but they would require specialized decks to work instead of simply going in every control deck in existence.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

mycomancy posted:

Hi that's me I remember! Wish I wasn't 13 then and had disposable income. I would've 100% bought a playset of Beta or Unlimited if I was 10 years older.

Also that KI game is probably in a landfall next to all the Decipher Star Trek cards that no one bought.

Same (I was 12) and I still have some Star Trek ccg, star wars ccg, x-files ccg, and something called "Young Jedi". I was trying to pull a Future Enterprise from the Star Trek boosters (alternate universe expansion?) which was worth $100. Started playing at the tail end of Revised but mostly used my allowance to buy 4th edition, ice age, and Chronicles ugh. I did have a bit more expendable income in 1998 and split a booster box of Urzas Saga withy brother and later bought a bunch of Revised dual lands in high school for $10 each. Also got some grab bags of random bulk beta cards (I think they were 10 or 20 for $10, also got a couple Alpha commons/uncommons), and Arabian Nights commons for about the same price around 2002. Wish I would have loaded up then.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Exiling everything is a significant upside and not one they've ever put on a 5 mana wrath before (without a downside). Given that you can also make a guy later Sunfall seems pretty pushed.

Hallowed Burial is pretty close to exiling everything at 5mv

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

dragon enthusiast posted:

If you're playing in a competitive level event your opponent is expected to track this information themselves and you're under no obligation to help remind them. At more casual events you can do it if you don't feel like being a dick.

If the effect chooses a particular type (land or creature being the most common) and/or requires targets, your opponent should get an opportunity to verify that the card you chose or targeted is legal. You can't misrepresent a gamestate, but you also can't be super sneaky.

Of course, I was also informed that taking notes during a match was illegal when they head judge's kid wouldn't let me write down what they had before I resolved a Duress, so, who even knows. Rules are made up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Anyone going to an Acorns in April event this weekend? Heading to w different store than usual since my main one isn't hosting it.