Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Last of Us PC port is bad, therefore Star Citizen is good. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/RdVNCyQ.gifv

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

I guess I'm a woman :confused:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I guess I'm an otter :confused:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Wanna catch those hands

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Brendan "PlayerUnknown" Greene hawking an Earth-sized Second Life on the pages of PC Gamer. Listen to him echo the Crobbler here:

https://www.pcgamer.com/i-got-to-see-pubg-creator-brendan-greenes-next-project-a-digital-world-the-size-of-a-real-planet/

Edit: gently caress, there's more:

I mean, that stuff is still more reasonable than the stuff people have been saying Star Citizen will be coming out with. "Your village gets AI helpers to help automate mundane tasks no one wants to do" and having fake wildlife that can accidentally explode in numbers are things we've seen (or heard horror stories of from development of older games). Sure the last line about wanting to live in a real environment has some serious "go outside and touch grass" energy, but hey, people like survival Sims.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Yeah it’s not that egregious compared to most virtual world dreams.txt, and it seems like he has the resources to pull of some version of it. But it feels like it’s just going to turn into another open world survival/crafting snooze fest. At this point whenever I see an article like this plastered with screenshots of proc-gen forests, my mind just shuts down.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

grimcreaper posted:

I'm glad to see in the years I've been gone star citizen has made the same amount of progress as I have in life. None.

Excuse me? Didn’t you see the soda cans accumulating in the trash can?

We are writing history here

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

colonelwest posted:

Yeah it’s not that egregious compared to most virtual world dreams.txt, and it seems like he has the resources to pull of some version of it. But it feels like it’s just going to turn into another open world survival/crafting snooze fest. At this point whenever I see an article like this plastered with screenshots of proc-gen forests, my mind just shuts down.

Yep, I don't think it's ridiculous, it just sounds really boring.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The thing is you can make that sort of game interesting, but you have to you know have more features other than just big + generically realistic.

Look at Dwarf fortress! Absolutely crazy list of features and doable things, but you know there is actual thought put into those features and how they interact with each other and the player, so it actually has heaps of personality because of it.

For me honestly the brokenness isn't the worst part of Star Citizen, it's the total lack of personality to it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It helps that Dwarf Fortress breaking spectacularly is practically the point of the game.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Brendan "PlayerUnknown" Greene hawking an Earth-sized Second Life on the pages of PC Gamer. Listen to him echo the Crobbler here:

https://www.pcgamer.com/i-got-to-see-pubg-creator-brendan-greenes-next-project-a-digital-world-the-size-of-a-real-planet/

Edit: gently caress, there's more:
This is all completely doable if you're making a game about those things. There was a star wars edutainment game about building a functioning ecosystem that was very close to that. The thing that makes star citizen absurd is trying to shove all of those dreams onto the idea of a space mmo where none of that poo poo matters outside of delusions posted on a forum of some Ur-game to obsolete literally all others.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Dwarf Fortress works because it's single player so you can feasibly manage your forts plethora of items/boulders.

Star Citizens are built different so this isn't a problem in an MMO.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
Yeah, I mean I guess I just wish people had a bit of self-awareness when they go the route of creating open-world survival. Just a, "we know this is a difficult genre full of expensive misfires, but we're going to learn from past mistakes" kind of thing. VR didn't start getting better until people acknowledged that 99% of what's out there in terms of tech and applications, present and historic, is bullshit. Even then VR still isn't all that great. But it's better.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

"I see us having AI helpers in the game," he says. "You [could] have a wood chopper, or a scientist, or a metal worker that you can show where the forest is. And then they go and run back and forth and get you wood. And maybe the more players you get in your civilization or your village, the town grows, the borders grow, you get more AI, this kind of fostering community, right? And I'm trying to see if we can do something like a massive life game mode."

He's making Age of Empires... ?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

bandaid.friend posted:

Nah… more like Black & White. But without the same levels of team competence and trustworthiness as Peter Molyneux.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

qine… :cripes:

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

bandaid.friend posted:

lmao you’re right

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
That box art thing earlier reminded me: where's Shelly Miscavige Sandi?

Come to think of it, where's the rest of the failarmy crew, in this time of new patches that break everything?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

colonelwest posted:

Friend of the thread Montoya is still trying to hawk his lovely crypto scheme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2QyGz_0wBg

lmao every goon click is a significant increase in viewer-count~

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

lmao every goon click is a significant increase in viewer-count~

If you look at his other videos they all get a few thousand views nothing too crazy but it's consistent and then each video labelled "Web3" is only a few hundred. That people are still trying to push NFTs and new coins is hilarious.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Tane

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Only Kindness posted:

That box art thing earlier reminded me: where's Shelly Miscavige Sandi?

Isn't she a board member now? Getting paid a fat salary to go to a meeting every couple of years or so, if she can be bothered to? A nice little sinecure as a reward for all the grueling, non-stop work she put in as the Best VP of Marketing Ever. Chris pops up very briefly, doing and saying very little, but at a guess he's still elbow-deep in yelling at people to bring more fidelity to the mess hall scene while flop-sweating through his black turtlenecks.

Erin's probably still super-busy splitting his time between stress-eating and slowly deskeletonizing. Tony Z probably caught his reflection in a mirror in 2021 and is still talking to himself about his deep thoughts. I think Brian Chambers got sent on the Asian fundraising expedition/booze cruise a while back, so that's at least one of the usual suspects that's been seen in the wild, although if you told me he passed away tragically eight years ago and has just been haunting his own body, it would explain a lot.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Cloud Stimperium

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Popete posted:

If you look at his other videos they all get a few thousand views nothing too crazy but it's consistent and then each video labelled "Web3" is only a few hundred. That people are still trying to push NFTs and new coins is hilarious.

Montoya reeks of someone who bought in big to Crypto/NFTs right before the crash, and now he’s trying to recoup some of his money. He seems to hope that his new shticoin gets adopted by a ton of Star Citizen streamers, and then eventually gets so popular that it has a decent dollar value that he can cash in.

Implicit in all of that is his feverish belief that Star Citizen is the next big thing, and as the leader of the game’s biggest guild, he’ll be capitulated into being a big deal some day. It’s all bs, but it’s the sort of magical thinking that you need if you’re going to squat in a broken tech demo for 11+ years.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 31, 2023

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Popete posted:

Dwarf Fortress works because it's single player so you can feasibly manage your forts plethora of items/boulders.

I think the addition of lava pits that delete objects from the game world would be a great solution to SC's item persistence problems

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

We all predicted that PES would be a giant self-own that would just break the game in new ways. And we all know where it’s going. After a few more years, millions of dollars and untold man hours, they’ll just introduce some culling feature that will start removing objects when the local count hits 100. They’ll call it dynamic entity streaming or some poo poo, and Piss Cat will write a wall of text about how it’s a massive technical triumph.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

colonelwest posted:

We all predicted that PES would be a giant self-own that would just break the game in new ways. And we all know where it’s going. After a few more years, millions of dollars and untold man hours, they’ll just introduce some culling feature that will start removing objects when the local count hits 100. They’ll call it dynamic entity streaming or some poo poo, and Piss Cat will write a wall of text about how it’s a massive technical triumph.

…and it will invariably prioritise removing players from the game world rather than decorative objects.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Don't have to remove players from the game world if they can't log in

mantappingonheadmeme.gif

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
There's been people locked out for almost a month. Numbers are growing. YouTube 3.18 ads still rolling. CIG remains silent.

....early days

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Tippis posted:

…and it will invariably prioritise removing players from the game world rather than decorative objects.

No no, it will be coded to remove the oldest objects first. So it will start with the old space station, then the planets, sun, trains, and so on.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

pun pundit posted:

No no, it will be coded to remove the oldest objects first. So it will start with the old space station, then the planets, sun, trains, and so on.

Good point.
Also, any accounts that were added to the database before the world item in question was implemented.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well, there went my hopes and dreams of hiding wine glasses amongst 120 systems.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Forget about SC or SQ42, what are the latest news about Theaters of War?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

My friends invited me to play SC this morning and it wasn't too bad. We went to some big cave on a desert planet and killed some guys. Then we did a mission on the cloud city planet but one of the NPCs spawn in a wall and we couldn't kill him by clipping through, or grenades, or sniper rifles, we even tried pushing one person through the wall by ramming them into it with the nose of a ship, but we just gave up and logged off because it looked like there would be no way to finish the mission.

Great poo poo, Crobberts

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

To understand this you have to understand what Persistent Entity Streaming, server meshing, Gen12 / Vulkan and Squadron 42 Episode One will bring. Squadron 42 right now is the developmental 'hot-bed' and testing area for a lot of capability and content coming to the PU mainly because the current servers without server meshing couldn't handle all of it, and also because of 'spoilers'.

First - server meshing will allow the game to expand both in scope and the number of concurrent players per shard once the physical limitations of AWS server build are no longer relevant. The only reason the servers are struggling now is because they have to hold the whole Stanton system and everything in it - 4 planets, 12 moons, 19 space stations, dozens of outposts, as well as everything the 100 players bring. With server meshing they can have a server only hold one moon, or even one space station. Without all that Stanton content the servers can hold a LOT more players each. They can have as many AWS servers per shard as they please and those servers will run more efficiently with Gen12, the first iterations of Gen12 are in the game now.

The limit to dense collections of players in an area becomes the capability of the PC clients connected to each shard, those limitations will also be lessened by Gen12 / Vulkan. To control this they will restrict player movement about the game space by (in lore methods) shutting down Jump Gates temporarily if an area gets too crowded for example. we're not allowed to post spoilers or leaks in this forum, but there is a leaked Squadron 42 video out there that will clearly demonstrate that fleet battles can be huge even though they are running on a single PC.

Second - the star systems being developed for Squadron 42 can be released to the PU after Squadron 42 E1 is no longer kept under wraps. Best guess by those of us following SQ42 E1 closely is around 10 or 12 star systems for Squadron 42, even Pyro is bigger than Stanton - that will be a massive expansion of the play space. So 10,000 players per shard spread over that huge play space will still be a fairly 'lonely experience' as far as player / player encounters go. They can spin up as many shards as they need, as each shard's efficiency increases (with dynamic server meshing for example) they can reduce shards to regional.

Third - and most importantly, both the expansion of the PU to Pyro and Nyx, coupled with SQ42 E1 systems (and SQ42 E1 sales) will bring in more general gamer interest and funding to hire more staff to create new star systems much faster since the tools have been made to do it already. They are already significantly expanding the teams making content. Those who don't understand point to the number of jobs advertised by CIG, but that says nothing - they plan to more than double the number of team members they had in 2020, so they'll always be vacancies even though they are recruiting more than ever.

When people talk about the 100 star systems mentioned at Kickstarter launch (when the game plan was tiny compared to what it is now) they intrinsically think of games like NMS, Elite Dangerous etc where you roll through that system in an hour or maybe two, but the Star Citizen star systems will be so packed with stuff to do and see you'll spend months or even years in one place, even if there are only 20 star systems that's more content than any player could get around to in a lifetime. Absolutely no-one will see all of it, or even a large proportion of it. CIG has new hires making things for the game for a fun introduction to the tools and company that other game companies make a whole game out of! We know there's going to be scramble races on Hurston, because it's on the Roadmap. They can do this stuff because there's no 'suits' tapping their wallets impatiently telling them they can't.

Another advantage of the years of R&D and tool making is that they can take far less experienced (and cheaper) team members to learn those tools in-house to grind out content. For example a brand new hire made the turret for the 600i update recently and they have recruited many new hires in the last year to the props teams and landing zone teams / Sandbox teams- Lorville is getting a big expansion right now. Which is why they have moved to bigger, better equipped premises in the last couple of years in Canada, the UK and Germany. They are reaching out to schools and colleges to recruit even now. They have a whole department in 4 countries dedicated to recruitment.

The final foundations - Persistent Entity Streaming, Server Meshing and Gen 12 - are being worked on now as well as Quantum (massive dynamic NPC populations) and Quasar (the game economy system), they aren't some nebulous future goals, Once those foundations are in place and stable then expansion can just take off because of all the work done to date which was done in anticipation of those core pillars being in place.

There will always be the negative-nancy's decrying everything insisting that no work has been done (server meshing has been worked on for more than 3 years) but even they can't argue that content is being added to the game at a faster and faster rate despite the current server limitations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

that's it im convinced this is actually tony z on a bad trip and he thinks he is someone else

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Is Gen12 their version of Vulcan?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mirificus posted:

" but the Star Citizen star systems will be so packed with stuff to do and see you'll spend months or even years in one place, even if there are only 20 star systems that's more content than any player could get around to in a lifetime."

lol. One day Star Citizen was walking in the forest and it found the magical content fairy. Star citizen said hello to the magic content and the magical content fairy said hello back and told Star citizen that it could grant it one wish! Star Citizen used it one wish to wish for infinite content! The content fairy said done! It than gave them a magical seed which they planted in the middle of the office, and from that seed a large content tree grew, laden with magical content fruit, and they found no matter how much content fruit they took from the content tree there was always more. And they lived happily ever after. The end!

In short I wish I had a magical infinite content tree like star citizen. Would make life so much easier. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

quote:

Star Citizen star systems will be so packed with stuff to do and see you'll spend months or even years in one place, even if there are only 20 star systems that's more content than any player could get around to in a lifetime. Absolutely no-one will see all of it, or even a large proportion of it.

how many of those things will actually be fun though