Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
how many cutscenes must a game walk down, before you can call it a good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Why is this $70 wtf nintendo

Welcome to Joe Biden's America

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Hey, you know what game didn't reuse a map? Zelda 2.

It does :actually:, the lower part of the zelda 2 map is the zelda 1 area, which was just the surrounding death mountain area

Edit: i should read more posts before replying

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
BotW had a sweet-looking world and I don't mind the recycling of the map at all, but when it comes to meaningful content the game didn't hold a candle to Majora's Mask. I really dislike collectibles (like the korok seeds) that are detached from story-threads and thrown into the game in order to pad out the playtime (hello, Ubisoft). Same goes for the shrines, whose cookie-cutter design was the least immersive part of the BotW. The villages also felt too devoid of content.

Hope they integrated more dungeons and fleshed-out NPCs / sidequests this time.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah, I don't get the map issue. So what if the physical geography is the same on the surface if what's meaningful about it has completely changed? Yeah, I scaled Death Mountain in BotW...to kill a huge lizard, but now there's weird malice goop stretching skyward out of the caldera and this doesn't pique my interest at all? And oh, of course I know everything about the Hebra region because I explored it ad nauseum in BotW, except now there's a dungeon under Mount Hebra and get to see a cutscene of a Divine Beast lasering the mountain.

I get it, "familiarity breeds contempt" but if you flip this issue on its head, now I have to be suspicious about everything I once knew on the map. Exploring becomes less of "what's over the next hill" and more of "there was X over the hill last time, I wonder if that's still true?" Now, the critics will have a point if 6/10 times, the old thing is still there but I don't see it happening. I'm sure most of the points of interest that were shrines and korok puzzles before (and had queues to say "LOOK OVER HERE") have their rewards replaced. The locations themselves might not change but what greets you when you get there will be totally different.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

sigher posted:

Or a Cuccoo to an arrow and you can orbital strike snipe from a distance.

If we can’t call in cuccoo air strikes by bow & arrow, I’ll now consider TotK an abysmal failure of imagination.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

seeing how the map has changed in subtle and less subtle ways is one of the things i'm most excited about tbh

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The map is the same. There are only three new caves total. There are seven sky islands that just have one puzzle each. Ultrahand and Fuse only work in like, ten different combos. And two cutscenes.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
and they shrunk Link's wiener

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Cancelling my preorder

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Won't matter: Link's seductive powers have no limitations

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

tag yourself. I'm warlord garfield.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The Korok on a motorbike.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

9/10, didn't spot a crying statue of liberty

edit: 9.5 for the happiest bullet bill I've ever seen though, that fucker is jazzed

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 1, 2023

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Winifred Madgers posted:

the elusive third cutscene

OK so my uncle said first you have to get General Leo in your party

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
how weird is it going to be if we get two mainline Zeldas in a row with no triforce

or is that the third cutscene

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My uncle said that you can only unlock the third cutscene if you play the game on the Zelda edition OLED switch with the Zelda edition pro controller, and then you recite the magic phrase from the original Japanese version of the collectors edition art book.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Cojawfee posted:

My uncle said that you can only unlock the third cutscene if you play the game on the Zelda edition OLED switch with the Zelda edition pro controller, and then you recite the magic phrase from the original Japanese version of the collectors edition art book.

no Zelda amiibos required? I'm calling bullshit

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

how weird is it going to be if we get two mainline Zeldas in a row with no triforce

or is that the third cutscene

you actually have to craft the triforce out of bokoblin guts and a knight's claymore

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lunatic Sledge posted:

no Zelda amiibos required? I'm calling bullshit

You don't need them for that because you already have to scan every Zelda amiibo just to start the game. And if your wolf link amiibo doesn't have 20 hearts, the game deletes your save file when you go to start the final boss battle to defeat Calamity Tingle.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1642180190351548416
:thunk:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Just get one of those e-shop vouchers and use it on this game and another game you want.

If you have a Costco membership they currently have a sale on gift cards. So you can get 100 eshop bucks for $80, use that on a set of vouchers, and get TotK plus something else pretty reasonably.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nintendo is being extremely coy about what’s new so any judgement call on the amount and quality of content at this point is pure guesswork.

I just used a voucher to get the game (along with Kirby RtDL Deluxe)

edit: fwiw here’s what ceo bowser had to say about it

quote:

“We look at what the game has to offer. I think fans will find this is an incredibly full, deeply immersive experience. The price point reflects the type of experience that fans can expect when it comes to playing this particular game. This isn’t a price point that we’ll necessarily have on all our titles. It’s actually a fairly common pricing model either here or in Europe or other parts of the world, where the pricing may vary depending on the game itself.”
:shrug:

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 1, 2023

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

I guess at this point it feels like this game is just going to be BotW but better, which is great and all, but where will that leave BotW? Just TotK but worse? Will there be any reason to replay BotW? If TotK has a distinct identity outside of BotW+, they certainly havent shown it.

Not that I'm not going to play the poo poo out of it, but the reused map is still going to be a disappointment. I've climbed death mountain, it can't possibly feel as special when we do it again to deal with those malice tendrils or whatever.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i really think people are underestimating how significant the changes to the map will likely be. "re-used" is a starting point, they didn't develop this for six years just to add a bunch of floating stuff.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
At what point in the leadup to this game did people come to believe we weren't going to be, at least in part, exploring Hyrule?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

My Second Re-Reg posted:

At what point in the leadup to this game did people come to believe we weren't going to be, at least in part, exploring Hyrule?

People are loving stupid.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

People are loving stupid.

:hmmyes:

It's a sequel to an open-world game that was universally lauded. "Dammit, I guess I'll have to play more of this piss poor GOTY/GOAT game again...woe is me."

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

My Second Re-Reg posted:

No, the issue is that we already explored it. I hope caves/sky islands are a whole game's worth of exploration, but if that's the case, they certainly haven't demonstrated it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

No, the issue is that we already explored it. I hope caves/sky islands are a whole game's worth of exploration, but if that's the case, they certainly haven't demonstrated it.

You do know that, unlike real life, nothing prevents Nintendo from modifying vast areas of the map, right?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

My best hope is that I'm thinking in terms of surface area when the actual exploration will be in volume; like, not enough sky islands to get a whole new Hyrule but that the volume is multiplied several times over now that empty air is explorable space.

Still wish they'd built a new map so I can be excited about seeing what's behind those bluffs again.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Mister Facetious posted:

You do know that, unlike real life, nothing prevents Nintendo from modifying vast areas of the map, right?

If they've done that they haven't shown it. Even the area around the woodland tower has the exact same towers and barricades (minus the actual sheikah tower). The dueling peaks tower is in exactly the same place, so presumably all the other stables will be too. I guess the plateau doesn't have snow on it anymore?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

If they've done that they haven't shown it.

the thing about video games is that it's cool to not know everything before you start playing them

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I recall distinctly looking into the distance on a rewatch of the gameplay trailer when he fell and seeing a ton of new weird poo poo on the ground too.

I think perhaps people are getting "same map" mixed with "same geography". This is not going to be the exact same map its going to be a new map using the same geography as a baseline, something easily seen in the trailer.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

tag yourself. I'm warlord Ganon garfield.

I'm teletubby wolfos howling twice for the kids at home

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

the thing about video games is that it's cool to not know everything before you start playing them

And if you absolutely need to know everything before you consider playing it there's this period after launch where anyone can tell ya

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I'm Homer Simpson.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

For me it feels like the Dark World in LttP or Adult Links map in OoT. Sure the topography hasn’t changed but everything is different.

Also mark me as a sucker that loves to see a landmark or environment I know changed because of circumstance or weather.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

kidcoelacanth posted:

Thr difference of course being that in the trailers for literally 100% of games I've ever seen, it's been all new material, where large swaths of these trailers are "yep, that's Hyrule Field alright."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Thr difference of course being that in the trailers for literally 100% of games I've ever seen, it's been all new material, where large swaths of these trailers are "yep, that's Hyrule Field alright."

you ever hear of a game called Yakuza?