Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Augus posted:

you ever hear of a game called Yakuza?

Oh yeah, forgot about that one (haven't played or really engaged with them at all, just knew they reused maps). How do they make those new each time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m interested to see what’s getting rebuilt. There’s a whole runined town near Hebra tower, be interesting to see if it’s been reclaimed.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Thr difference of course being that in the trailers for literally 100% of games I've ever seen, it's been all new material, where large swaths of these trailers are "yep, that's Hyrule Field alright."

Well if the game comes out and it turns out they didn't change or expand the map very much, then you'll get to feel so much satisfaction in your numerous complaints being justified.

Like yeah, I get it. A lot of the magic from BotW was the surprise of exploring the map in all its variety. Nintendo could have pulled that trick again by giving us a new world to explore. Maybe we'd get some new abilities and maybe some more classic dungeons as well! I wouldn't complain about getting more of the same because BotW was great.

But Nintendo likes to zag when everyone else would zig. By staying in Hyrule, it looks like they're pushing their ideas to the breaking point. We already know that the new abilities are going to make this a very different experience than BotW. But they're also using the old map as a base which means they essentially have a decade of game development on this one game.

Hyrule in BotW had a lot of dense parts and a lot of big empty spaces that were just fun to ride around in. And even though it had a high range of elevations (which is a lot of the fun), it wasn't very vertical in the fact that generally there wasn't anything directly above or below you. Which is more or less how the natural world works — there's usually not a cave below you and very rarely is there an island floating in the sky above you. And BotW was a love letter to the Earth's many natural landscapes.

In TotK, we know for a fact that now there's a LOT above us. It might not be the same amount of square footage as the Hyrule map but it looks like it's going to be a significant chunk of new places to explore. And we know that caves are coming back in a big way. I doubt there's going to be a huge underground labyrinth that extends throughout the game, but it's likely that we'll be able to go inside a lot of the mountains and uncover all sorts of new surprises. Suddenly Hyrule has three levels instead of just one. On top of that, I'm sure the regular old map is going to have a ton of changes. Maybe we go back in time or maybe a lot of new buildings have been constructed, but from what we've seen in the videos there is a lot of new content on the old map.

If they had done the regular approach of creating a new map, the amount of content in the game would be much smaller. Instead they're building on what came before and giving us the biggest, densest BotW sequel that's possible. And I'm very down for it.

Plus the post-credit scene in BotW is about Zelda and Link working to restore Hyrule, and I want to see that followed up on!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m interested to see what’s getting rebuilt. There’s a whole runined town near Hebra tower, be interesting to see if it’s been reclaimed.

I did a playthrough about a year ago traveling solely by horseback and found this town for the first time. Earnestposting if you're jonesing for TotK and haven't done this before I really recommend it, it's a totally different way to explore Hyrule

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I was thinking about replaying botw, and that sounds pretty neat honestly, I presume thats "no teleporting, no gliding from high places to get to places, try to follow ground routes where possible"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My Second Re-Reg posted:

At what point in the leadup to this game did people come to believe we weren't going to be, at least in part, exploring Hyrule?

Yeah I'm not sure how they could have done "a direct sequel to BotW" without re-using the map in some capacity. I don't think most people would have been very happy if the game took place in some completely new country without any of the known Zelda areas like Death Mountain, Kakariko, Hyrule Castle, etc.

The only element to the "it's bad they're re-using stuff" argument that I kind of agree with is that it *is* pretty weird that they seem to be reusing stuff like the horse riding and stable music. I'm really not sure what to make of that, since it seems like one of the most obvious things to update.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i did a zero fast travel playthrough of botw a while back and it was really satisfying

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zoig posted:

I was thinking about replaying botw, and that sounds pretty neat honestly, I presume thats "no teleporting, no gliding from high places to get to places, try to follow ground routes where possible"

I did "no fast travel, everything else ok but prioritize horse" and loved it. Particular highlights are Hebra and the Zonai Ruins, interestingly enough.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I wish I had the patience for that. My version of Link freaks out and/or annoys the entire world population by just constantly teleporting in and out of places to avoid even the slightest bit of inconvenient walking for a minor errand.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

kidcoelacanth posted:

i did a zero fast travel playthrough of botw a while back and it was really satisfying

It's a game I never want to fast travel in, a nce so much of the content is between point A and point B. The complete lack of bottlenecks means every journey between any two points will lead you to stumbling on something new.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

quiggy posted:

I did "no fast travel, everything else ok but prioritize horse" and loved it. Particular highlights are Hebra and the Zonai Ruins, interestingly enough.

I allowed myself "fast travel to the Divine Beasts and Medallion", mainly so I could take a break from the Divine Beasts if I wanted to cook something or pick something up, or get to the Blood Moon shrine in time, and prioritised "using paths instead of climbing" as well as horse. But yeah, it's a great way to enjoy the geography.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Yeah I did my second playthrough with zero fast travel and it was wonderful. I might try it on my first one this time around.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I will admit I have a bit of misgivings about the reused map, but only because I am currently trying to finish up my first playthrough, just now; if I had completed it like a year ago then that would be more pleasant.

I did watch the Zeltik video on the new gameplay footage which makes for some good watching.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

I probably have more free time than most people, and this would still be way too much for me. Do people seriously do this any time they want to restock arrows or whatever? Just go on a giant marathon to various towns?

Usually my approach to exploration is "teleport to top of tower, look around for something I want to check out and go there."

Maybe it makes more sense during repeated runs where you've already seen most stuff in the game? In that case I could understanding encountering more new stuff through taking weird/tedious routes. But at least for a first play-through, you'll definitely find more neat stuff by actually heading towards stuff that looks neat at a distance (and the game itself supports this with the towers + ability to mark stuff with the camera). Usually when I head off in a random direction, the most I'll find is "a place with some high-tier cows to kill."

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

tears of the kingdom will do the same thing where the hyrule from breath of the wild is a small segment of the new map. except people are mad this time

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Unlucky7 posted:

I will admit I have a bit of misgivings about the reused map, but only because I am currently trying to finish up my first playthrough, just now; if I had completed it like a year ago then that would be more pleasant.

I did watch the Zeltik video on the new gameplay footage which makes for some good watching.

"Reused map" really means "geography is the same". If you think the quests or stuff to find will be the same idk to what to say to you

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

quiggy posted:

"Reused map" really means "geography is the same". If you think the quests or stuff to find will be the same idk to what to say to you

it's just a romhack of botw that costs ten bucks more than the original. we all need to cope w thia fact

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Ytlaya posted:

I probably have more free time than most people, and this would still be way too much for me. Do people seriously do this any time they want to restock arrows or whatever? Just go on a giant marathon to various towns?

Usually my approach to exploration is "teleport to top of tower, look around for something I want to check out and go there."

Maybe it makes more sense during repeated runs where you've already seen most stuff in the game? In that case I could understanding encountering more new stuff through taking weird/tedious routes. But at least for a first play-through, you'll definitely find more neat stuff by actually heading towards stuff that looks neat at a distance (and the game itself supports this with the towers + ability to mark stuff with the camera). Usually when I head off in a random direction, the most I'll find is "a place with some high-tier cows to kill."

You happen to run across enough stables that restocking arrows isn't really something that you have to go out of your way to do.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

quiggy posted:

We’ve also seen that Hateno Village is still around and doesn’t appear to have changed much, so I’d expect most settlements to still be the same, though hopefully with some new/expanded ones (Tarrey City!!!)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

We’ve also seen that Hateno Village is still around and doesn’t appear to have changed much, so I’d expect most settlements to still be the same, though hopefully with some new/expanded ones (Tarrey City!!!)

When did we see Hateno? Like I'm not doubting you I just don't remember

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

quiggy posted:

This is partly why I actually like the idea of the "re-used map." It gives a point of reference that can make any quests/changes more interesting.

And it's not like the broad geography in BotW was a secret; you can climb any of the towers and see the general lay of most of the map. You're not exactly going to stumble across most of the major geographical features unless you're deliberately avoiding ever going to high places. I can understand the appeal of exploring a completely new overworld map, but there's also a separate appeal to exploring "the same geography, but with different stuff in it."

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

quiggy posted:

There's a shot in one of the trailers overlooking the lab (and town from a distance)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

quiggy posted:

Of course I get that. I was talking about having it less fresh in my head.

Edit: editing because the original response was kinda pissy.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 1, 2023

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

MokBa posted:

Yeah I did my second playthrough with zero fast travel and it was wonderful. I might try it on my first one this time around.

bold to assume fast travel is back :getin:

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

best case scenario is they utilize familiarity with the old map to evoke nostalgia and also surprise. im not opposed to eating some member berries. a place is never the same. a familiar location but changed in big & small ways can bring up strong feelings. im hoping for vibes anyone who's ever driven past their childhood home to see the new inhabitants got rid of the shed & the big rock in the front yard, or returned to a town they lived in a couple decades ago, can understand. the poo poo that's the same hits harder than the poo poo that's new sometimes.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I mean I remember whole cliff scaffold area near the desert that got actual use. Just populating that and adding some other bits to make it a full on level would completely change it up.

The main thing is that if they use this to put a personal touch in areas that were just 'generic treehouse' before everyone is gonna love it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

quiggy posted:

I did a playthrough about a year ago traveling solely by horseback and found this town for the first time. Earnestposting if you're jonesing for TotK and haven't done this before I really recommend it, it's a totally different way to explore Hyrule

That's what I want to do for TOTK. If a game has fast travel, I tend to use it too much and miss out of neat side stuff.

Same with Skyrim. If you stick to the roads, so much cool stuff happens and there's very little to see if you go straight towards each waypoint.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

quiggy posted:

Around 0:35 in this trailer

https://youtu.be/fYZuiFDQwQw

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
From memory the entire southern tropical jungle area and that coastal fishing village had no actual purpose in the game they were just there to explore for the of it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

CK07 posted:

OK so my uncle said first you have to get General Leo in your party

That's easy, all you have to do is follow the actual guide posted on SA a decade ago to no-poo poo readd General Leo to your party in an unmodified copy of the game so what's next?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
One thing I do want is some sort of transmogrification/glamour system.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Unlucky7 posted:

If the lucha libre costume returns, this won't be necessary

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Next step here, looks like you gotta go find Luigi on the roof of Hyrule Castle.

(i read that lp as it was originally posted, how am i this old)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

This would be really nice. I'll never wear something like the big anti-flame suit. I always used alternatives to that, even if they required tediously crafting elixirs.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Ytlaya posted:

This would be really nice. I'll never wear something like the big anti-flame suit. I always used alternatives to that, even if they required tediously crafting elixirs.

I kind of like when games make you wear whatever works best, regardless of driplessness. Your outfit signals purpose rather than style.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I kind of like when games make you wear whatever works best, regardless of driplessness. Your outfit signals purpose rather than style.

In that case it should be entire outfits. Wearing anti-flame pants and some other chest/headpiece isn't going to be any more effective than not wearing them.

Or there should be a way to easily swap outfits, so you can have a "anti-flame loadout" and what have you.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
a wise man once said you can't cross the same Hyrule twice; it's never the same Hyrule and you're never the same Link

then he made me pay 20 rupees for blowing a hole in his cave (not a euphemism)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

In that case it should be entire outfits. Wearing anti-flame pants and some other chest/headpiece isn't going to be any more effective than not wearing them.

not true at all, individual pieces of gear in BoTW give you bonuses, not just the full sets. there are many areas in botw where you only need one piece of gear with heat/cold resistance and then you can use the other two slots on whatever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Augus posted:

not true at all, individual pieces of gear in BoTW give you bonuses, not just the full sets. there are many areas in botw where you only need one piece of gear with heat/cold resistance and then you can use the other two slots on whatever.

I know; my point is that if someone is arguing "you should need to wear appropriate gear for realism," then BotW's system of piecemeal buffs conflicts with that. I meant that "just wearing an anti-flame helmet wouldn't really do anything for you in reality but does in the game, so you might as well just let people change their appearance however they want."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

CK07 posted:

Next step here, looks like you gotta go find Luigi on the roof of Hyrule Castle.

(i read that lp as it was originally posted, how am i this old)

ok now what