Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I just can’t figure if the mobiks are insanely brave, or so poorly trained they don’t know what they are doing is insane.

Like throwing hand grenades at a tank, or advancing across an open field pockmarked with shell craters towards a defended trench. You couldn’t get me to do that poo poo if we were fighting actual Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Vengarr posted:

Like throwing hand grenades at a tank
There are anti-tank hand grenades with shaped charges. Better than nothing, though I sure wouldn't want to be in a position where that's my best option. Couldn't say whether that's what they actually attempted to use in the video.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Vengarr posted:

I just can’t figure if the mobiks are insanely brave, or so poorly trained they don’t know what they are doing is insane.

Like throwing hand grenades at a tank, or advancing across an open field pockmarked with shell craters towards a defended trench. You couldn’t get me to do that poo poo if we were fighting actual Nazis.

You are missing the most probable reason- no other recourse.
What are your options? Attack, maybe die, maybe get a chance to surrender.
Don't attack, maybe die by sledgehammer, get no chance to surrender. Maybe they kill your family for the inconvenience.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I'm not sure it's so easy surrendering when the fight is hot.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Power Khan posted:

I'm not sure it's so easy surrendering when the fight is hot.

Agreed, but I'm just trying to explain their actions.
The Mobiks also probably have a distorted reality, being force fed propaganda that makes it seem better to die a cold bloody mess than being captured.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GD_American posted:

Man. Remember what our bar for "worst President" used to be?

If you judge by immediate effects of bad decisions, W is still worse than Trump.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

There are anti-tank hand grenades with shaped charges. Better than nothing, though I sure wouldn't want to be in a position where that's my best option. Couldn't say whether that's what they actually attempted to use in the video.

At that point the Russians were all cowering face down in a trench that was too shallow to bury a person in and the guy who threw a grenade just kind of chucked it behind him like "ehnnn". They'd fired an ATGM earlier, but by that point it looked like they had given up on trying to influence the outcome of the battle. This footage was almost the polar opposite of the "predator" fight we saw earlier. I'm not calling those doomed Russians cowards though, they were just in way over what their equipment and trained prepared them for.

Stultus Maximus posted:

If you judge by immediate effects of bad decisions, W is still worse than Trump.
The presidents immediately before and after the civil war are also worse. Not that I'm implying that Trump was anything other than abysmal. If it is proven that he was actually taking marching orders or collaborating with Putin, then I'll be happy to call him the worst American ever.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 1, 2023

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Trump didn't destabilize 1/3 of the world.
Every so often I think about writing Dubya a letter, but I realize he won't read it, it would be a waste of ink to scream at the void.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Stultus Maximus posted:

The PATRIOT Act was the root of the new Superpresidency, and the new RESTRICT Act is going to be able to do way more than ban TikTok thanks to its super vague and open-to-all-kinds-of-interpretation language.

The only reason Trump didn't get us involved in more wars is because that would have required too much paperwork and procedure he couldn't shirk.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Every so often I think about writing Dubya a letter, but I realize he won't read it, it would be a waste of ink to scream at the void.

He's a painter now. :downs:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 1, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

Trump was on his way to doing so. I don't think its fair to dismiss the sheer damage he did locally versus globally. Had he been given a second term, I can imagine he would've given Bush a run for his money.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Bush hosed the western world over by making us overly focus on fear and defense spending.

Trump did irreparable damage to the diplomatic service and American diplomacy writ large, because it's now inevitable that someone worse than him will come along, and everyone who used to rely on us being predictably crazy and selfish now has to plan for periodic malevolent idiocy as well.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

bulletsponge13 posted:

"Dear George,"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is one of those odd bits of trivia: the AFU dug up the bodies of 1700 literal Nazi soldiers in 2022 just incidentally while digging trenches for defensive positions.

https://twitter.com/HoansSolo/status/1642047823683125248

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

And some say denazification isn’t working.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I wonder if they are returning them, re-intering, or just using them for decorations.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Give the dead Nazi bones to the Russians so they can declare mission accomplished.

Hurrah, we have now removed the last of the true Nazi's from Ukraine time to go home in peace.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Andrew Johnson was the worst president from the ‘lasting impact on the US’ perspective I think. I wonder what we’d be like if you rolled straight from Lincoln to Grant and kept Congress in line.

All the losses of enfranchisement, and political participation. Imagine if the Klan never was allowed to get off the ground, the Jim Crow era never happened. Maybe they would have in some form, but I think we’d be way ahead of where we are today if that shitbag was never President.

Reminds me that I wish I could get one of my friends who hit his 20 with 99/100% disability this year an operation useless dirt shirt.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
James Buchanan's own presidential museum calls him the worst president in American history.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I still believe Bush did vastly more damage, and he lead directly to Trump and the current world.

But it's not a contest, and the only good President is William Henry Harrison.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vengarr posted:

James Buchanan's own presidential museum calls him the worst president in American history.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bulletsponge13 posted:

Counterpoint, and admittedly hard to prove. Covid killed a fuuuuuuuuckload more americans than it would have if someone competent was in charge that took it seriously up front.

That said I think its kind of 1A/1B for Dubya and Trump.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That Works posted:

Counterpoint, and admittedly hard to prove. Covid killed a fuuuuuuuuckload more americans than it would have if someone competent was in charge that took it seriously up front.

That said I think its kind of 1A/1B for Dubya and Trump.

I'm not trying to absolve Trump of all of blame here, but I think American campism in general would have resulted in people screaming about "Mah freedoms!" regardless of whoever was in the white house. I mean look at how many states spitefully refused to accept medicaid funds from the ACA back in 2010.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

psydude posted:

I'm not trying to absolve Trump of all of blame here, but I think American campism in general would have resulted in people screaming about "Mah freedoms!" regardless of whoever was in the white house. I mean look at how many states spitefully refused to accept medicaid funds from the ACA back in 2010.

Things might have looked a lot different if the US had taken a leadership role in handling covid instead of the Commander-in-Chief encouraging people to believe "that one day, it'll go away, like a miracle"

Cool Kids Club Soda fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 1, 2023

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Regardless, I'm sad I never met Colin Powell, because I was going to punch that motherfucker so hard, his ancestors would have broken noses.

I hope that gently caress suffered every second.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You gotta give Trump some time to settle in order to get a proper judgment. I think if he had not stoked the fire of Covid poo poo, denial would have still happened but would have been less of a whole movement. Though considering Trump himself (who you do not have to hand it to) was trying to talk up his own vaccine efforts and stopped due to poor crowd response... who can say?

Nessus fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 1, 2023

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/justartsndstuff/status/1642202887513321476

Worn out barrel, or a drone stuffed a banana into the tube.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Power Khan posted:

https://twitter.com/justartsndstuff/status/1642202887513321476

Worn out barrel, or a drone stuffed a banana into the tube.

Gun captain was a mobik named W.E. Coyotsky.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I haven't a loving idea, but I'm going to throw out a guess that a charge detonated either way too early, or way too late in the barrel.

Could be plain old metal fatigue/poor metallurgy/excessive wear, too, I guess, but I be little gun toucher, not big gun toucher.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

bulletsponge13 posted:

Could be plain old metal fatigue/poor metallurgy/excessive wear,

^ it's that. If a something detonates in the barrel it will look very different. Big guns do that when you just plain shoot them too much, or too rapidly.

I was (technically) a big gun toucher.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
That's a lot of rust on the rifling. It's obviously been abandoned in the elements, but I'm a bit surprised there's not enough of a coating or hard chromed layer to delay rusting out so bad at least a little bit.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nessus posted:

You gotta give Trump some time to settle in order to get a proper judgment. I think if he had not stoked the fire of Covid poo poo, denial would have still happened but would have been less of a whole movement. Though considering Trump himself (who you do not have to hand it to) was trying to talk up his own vaccine efforts and stopped due to poor crowd response... who can say?

USPS had a plan in April 2020 to send 5 n95s to every household in the country and to re up afterward. White House admin directly shot it down because they didn’t want to wear masks, had already attacked masks as weak etc.

To me, if that program has started right at the beginning of Covid, it would have radically changed the national conversation and perception of masking especially if the White House had gone along with it and supported it instead, it turned into a divisive partisan issue even further.

All of this is very hard to prove or quantify, so I’m not going to die on this hill or anything so please don’t take this as being super argumentative or pedantic or anything like that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

No, I agree; if nothing else, he could have refrained from introducing Yet Another Axis of Political Partisanship onto that stuff.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He should have leaned into the grift and sold bright red MAGA masks

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

BobHoward posted:

That's a lot of rust on the rifling. It's obviously been abandoned in the elements, but I'm a bit surprised there's not enough of a coating or hard chromed layer to delay rusting out so bad at least a little bit.

It doesn't matter what was there originally. If you fire a gun very much (such as, the amount that will do that to a barrel), the lining will erode off.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I reckon someone jammed a load of C4 in the end to deny the gun to their enemy

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

I reckon someone jammed a load of C4 in the end to deny the gun to their enemy

You don't use C4, you use thermite, and neither one of those things looks like that.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Tunnel warfare rumours from Bakhmut: https://youtu.be/9EF4JU2-sNY

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Yes, let's make this war more terrifying by summoning the Dwarves.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yes, let's make this war more terrifying by summoning the Dwarves.

It’s not the dwarves to worry about. They’ve been warned about digging too deep to satisfy their greed, lest they free an unholy Thing that can only be described as living shadow and flame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

It’s not the dwarves to worry about. They’ve been warned about digging too deep to satisfy their greed, lest they free an unholy Thing that can only be described as living shadow and flame.

Uh didn't the Soviets already unearth that?

And nuke it back to the depths?