Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The in season tournament is the only conceivable way for Dame to win a "championship" with the Blazers so it is in fact a very good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

rjmccall posted:

Just the fact that it’ll be mid-season games between top teams where both teams will actually be playing all their starters makes it pretty enticing.
I don't think they will, or should.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:lol: Draymond so worried about his bag flying away
https://twitter.com/Money23Green/status/1642204723297267712

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

verbal enema posted:

idk bout that but they got mad swag

Kim Mulkey is a dusty old bitch!!!!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

WhyteRyce posted:

:lol: Draymond so worried about his bag flying away
I mean, gently caress Draymond forever but with the "easing in over a period of years", I don't think it'll cost him money?

Seems like it's just terminal warriorsbrain, that any limitation on their ability to add talent is an affront to god and nature. The mechanics of basketball's revenue split (which, as it doesn't account for franchise valuation increases, is stupid horseshit) means that this won't reduce player salaries but may change how they're allocated... and it seems like that pressure would be towards boosting the value of basketball's "middle class" rather than further pushing towards the 3max+mins model?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Paracaidas posted:

I mean, gently caress Draymond forever but with the "easing in over a period of years", I don't think it'll cost him money?

Seems like it's just terminal warriorsbrain, that any limitation on their ability to add talent is an affront to god and nature. The mechanics of basketball's revenue split (which, as it doesn't account for franchise valuation increases, is stupid horseshit) means that this won't reduce player salaries but may change how they're allocated... and it seems like that pressure would be towards boosting the value of basketball's "middle class" rather than further pushing towards the 3max+mins model?

Seeing warriors fans in the comments saying winning teams keep winning because they are just better run than bad teams while pretending the Spurs do not exist anymore is fantastic

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

verbal enema posted:

idk bout that but they got mad swag

Why was 30-2 LSU a 3-seed?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Its the myth that drafting well is the right way to build a team. The draft is to create parity and if a team drafts/develops multiple good players, there has to be a backstop somewhere.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

I assume players can vote down the CBA right?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

WhyteRyce posted:

LeBron wouldn’t pay for pandora $500k will look
enticing to him

First prize is a Twitter Blue checkmark

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

kingcobweb posted:

I assume players can vote down the CBA right?

Yeah, the players and owners will get a ratifying vote. The people who negotiated this for the players were assigned by the players and usually given pretty straightforward instructions so this will very likely pass.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

NickRoweFillea posted:

Kim Mulkey is a dusty old bitch!!!!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Taking the tax payer MLE from teams absolutely is a strike at the NBA middle class. Several teams once again did not use their regular MLE to avoid paying tax so it’s hard to see this as anything but the elimination of some mid level contracts.

Lockback posted:

65 games seems a little too high to me but I wonder who would have been impacted by that in the past? Ja Morant MIP? (I don't know if MIP is one of the awards that requires it).

I really like the higher extension limits. That fixes a rule that I thought just didn't make any sense.

My theory is that Brad Beal’s previous contract had a bonus for making an all nba team and we already know Leonsis will lock a league out for his pocketbook.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah feel free to hate the warriors and Dray or whatever, but he's not wrong.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Spring Break My Heart posted:

If you go by percentage of games played than Embiid would have been ineligible in 2020-21 when he finished 2nd in MVP voting.

If you go by All-NBA than last year Morant, Durant, Curry and LeBron would have been ineligible, while Giannis, Doncic, Booker, Embiid, Paul and Siakam just barely make the cut. Just 5 of the 15 All-NBA players from last year played 70 games or more.

So basically All-NBA is going to become a young man's award? Hard to see Curry, Lebron, Durant, or in a few years, Embiid, playing 65+ games in a season. I guess that's good for allowing more younger players to secure larger contacts in their prime.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

Taking the tax payer MLE from teams absolutely is a strike at the NBA middle class. Several teams once again did not use their regular MLE to avoid paying tax so it’s hard to see this as anything but the elimination of some mid level contracts.

I agree with this but it does probably push things towards parity (which right now I don't know that you need to do but w/e). Keep in mind this just takes that money and redistributes it, so as much as it's a blow against the NBA middle class, it benefits the rest proportionally.

Rick posted:

My theory is that Brad Beal’s previous contract had a bonus for making an all nba team and we already know Leonsis will lock a league out for his pocketbook.

A sound theory, tbh.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

So basically All-NBA is going to become a young man's award? Hard to see Curry, Lebron, Durant, or in a few years, Embiid, playing 65+ games in a season. I guess that's good for allowing more younger players to secure larger contacts in their prime.

Also not a bad theory for some of the real reason to push this.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

I agree with this but it does probably push things towards parity (which right now I don't know that you need to do but w/e). Keep in mind this just takes that money and redistributes it, so as much as it's a blow against the NBA middle class, it benefits the rest proportionally.

A sound theory, tbh.

Teams don't spend money because they don't want to.

The Bulls knew Lonzo was donzo for the year but waited until the day after they could have used the exception to add someone.

Like one of the bucks owners bailed because the team is going to be paying the LuxTax and they didn't want to do that.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 1, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Dejan Bimble posted:

Dwyanye Wade doesnt deserve HOF. The nba rewarded his tactic of running into defenders for years. Low skill low morals player. If anything his career should be erased from official records

He should’ve been executed by firing squad after the 2006 finals for crimes against watchable basketball

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

i am a moron posted:

He should’ve been executed by firing squad after the 2006 finals for crimes against watchable basketball

Well Idaho has some good news for you

temple
Jul 29, 2006

JB can stay with the boys yea

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

Teams don't spend money because they don't want to.

The Bulls knew Lonzo was donzo for the year but waited until the day after they could have used the exception to add someone.

Like one of the bucks owners bailed because the team is going to be paying the LuxTax and they didn't want to do that.

Sure but another reason teams don't spend money is when they can't. So if the highest spending teams (which correlates to highest performing teams) can't spend on a tax-MLE player it brings them down a little. There are probably guys who'd rather play for a mid-level team for some of their cap room rather than play for the warriors/Lakers/whoever for the minimum (instead of 6.7m taxMLE).

I don't think we really need to do much right now to create more parity but I think the bigger issue is some teams just don't give a poo poo about living in the tax, and if the luxury tax stops working then tighter cap restrictions will be the next step. There's too many owners who don't want competitive advantage to be tied to spending willingness.

And note that being willing to spend more adds 0 dollars to the pool of money the players get,. It just moves money from other teams.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 1, 2023

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

i am a moron posted:

Amen

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Rick posted:

we already know Leonsis will lock a league out for his pocketbook.

the difference here is probably that the NBA owners saw how lockouts can damage a league to the point where they are gonna be behind MLS very soon and aren’t interested in following him

I guess if the competition during a lockout would be the NHL though ironically the NBA would know they can probably press the issue against the NBAPA

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 1, 2023

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
A mid/early season tourney where the winning team is guaranteed a play in spot would be interesting. A team like the Jazz could’ve won in December and pretty much have the Mavs eliminated by now.

Only down side is if a team like the Rockets accidentally won and they killed their draft pick.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Isentropy posted:

the difference here is probably that the NBA owners saw how lockouts can damage a league to the point where they are gonna be behind MLS very soon and aren’t interested in following him

I guess if the competition during a lockout would be the NHL though ironically the NBA would know they can probably press the issue against the NBAPA

The last lockout they changed the BRI split, which was the problem. I would be really surprised if they forced a lockout over these topics.

The players prefer open spending so they can have more power, but keep in mind the players get their cut whether or not money is spent on contracts or not. Even if they instituted a had cap the players would get the exact same amount of money than if they allowed teams to spend whatever they want.

Players always get 50% of the BRI. The contracts just decide the ratios as to who gets what. The rest is controlled by escrow.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
[NBPA general membership meeting for discussion of the contract]

Speaker clears throat, speaks clearly into mic: “weed”

Rank and file murmurs, claps, whoops, cries of “weed” ring out

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

NBAPA approves of 42.0% BRI split to loud cheers with a special provision that 10 year vets with no all-star game appearances no longer count against the cap

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

WhyteRyce posted:

Seeing warriors fans in the comments saying winning teams keep winning because they are just better run than bad teams while pretending the Spurs do not exist anymore is fantastic

What? The Spurs are a great example of a team that won a ton for years at least in part because they were run really well.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

What? The Spurs are a great example of a team that won a ton for years at least in part because they were run really well.

Yeah, I always thought the Spurs were literally the model the Warriors were trying to follow, at least at first. The definition of a well run franchise leading to consistent success.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Vox Nihili posted:

Yes, but they haven't won much the last couple years. So, they must now be a poorly run team.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

You’d think that but the Spurs haven’t won in years so they are obviously not a well run team because winning is a never ending thing if you are a well run team like the Warriors

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Rick posted:

That only holds true if it doesn't adjust team behavior, which would make it a pretty pointless rule change. For the teams above the apron, this will functionally reduce their tax burdens (as they'll be unable to acquire players using the taxpayer's MLE) which modifies how the owners allocate their chunk of BRI but does not touch the player's side. Given the breakdown of taxpaying and not taxpaying teams, this takes money out of more owner pockets than it protects.

Stripping a few (4, I believe?) taxpayer MLEs essentially starts a ticking clock, particularly for teams who've dealt away future draft assets in their surge above the apron... they'll no longer be able to supplement their rotations with the Ingles and Gallos of the world. The CBA's intent appears to be that it'll further disincentivize the ultra top heavy rosters (GSW: 4 players > $10m, Last year's Lakers ending at 3 players > $10m) and incentivize a more balanced approach around multiple stars (Dallas: 7 players > $10m, LAC: 8 players > $10m).

I don't know if this goes far enough in making that construction unappealing/unsustainable (in conjunction with repeater taxes, etc) but if it does, turning $30m into $20m and $10m (or 10&10&10 or 15&15, etc) seems like a massive win for the NBA's middle class... at the expense of a few guys losing their MLE shot and heavily dropping the salaries of the fringe max crowd.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Yeah the breakdown I heard is the bottom feeder teams will be getting less of a payout, making staying under the tax less appealing. Because the apron is generous, teams might peek over it a little knowing they can use the MLE.

SGA continues to hustle. 1000 tommy points
https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1641957124870897664

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1642288042395291649

Oh I missed this part.

This owns.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

>All-NBA teams will be positionless

Embiid is finally in for first team!

>with a 65-game minimum to be eligible for selection

And Embiid is out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Part of me kinda likes the arbitrary designations but this makes a lot more sense in general.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Blind Pineapple posted:

A mid/early season tourney where the winning team is guaranteed a play in spot would be interesting. A team like the Jazz could’ve won in December and pretty much have the Mavs eliminated by now.

Only down side is if a team like the Rockets accidentally won and they killed their draft pick.

Yea I think something like this would be interesting. There are probably a lot of unintended consequences it would have if a really lovely team won but if the 11 or 12 seed in a conference won it might be interesting.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

lmao when a championship contender wins, and then just relaxes for the rest of the year.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Goodbye guards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Going to be so many games like the one Jrue played one possession of to get a bonus last year