Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Zero_Grade posted:

Throwing/kicking mooks off platforms is always satisfying, especially when the game realizes this and gives you a little added extra like that.

It's a delight only surpassed by yoinking them off a rooftop from below.

The minority report game on PS2 had fancy physics for glass shards when windows broke so there were tons of chances to kick dudes through them. Many were windows to the outside in very high buildings. Since it was minority report you were accused of precrime murder.

So right after sending half a dozen dudes out a skyscraper you'd get a cutscene like "I'm not gonna kill anyone something is wrong!" :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Since last page was talking about Yakuza, I appreciate that enemies always draw first blood so you never have to feel guilty about testing out a new move or weapon because they instigated the fight.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Philippe posted:

The Sparta Kick in AC Odyssey is a little thing in games all by itself. I've lost count of how many Greeks I've kicked off a high place.

I thought the same thing reading that. I especially love the one side quest where this lady is just a huge pain in the rear end and you just hate her by the end of it. Funny enough the quest ends with her standing right on the edge of the cliff….

I’d love to see stats on how many people just immediately booted her over the edge.

I don’t even think it gives you the “don’t kill civilians” warning, meaning that Kassandra actually did it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

All this also reminds me of Sleeping Dogs, which had the same thing with environmental takedowns, except just a little more grounded and more (sometimes much more) brutal. But the best part was that sometimes you'd do something like grapple a guy and kick out his kneecap, and all the other enemies still around would flinch and cringe away in sympathy :allears:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Perestroika posted:

…and all the other enemies still around would flinch and cringe away in sympathy :allears:

Until I was in a theater for John Wick 4 last week I had forgotten what a joy it is to hear an entire auditorium of people go “oooof!” at the same time.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Joey Freshwater posted:

I thought the same thing reading that. I especially love the one side quest where this lady is just a huge pain in the rear end and you just hate her by the end of it. Funny enough the quest ends with her standing right on the edge of the cliff….

I’d love to see stats on how many people just immediately booted her over the edge.

I don’t even think it gives you the “don’t kill civilians” warning, meaning that Kassandra actually did it.

There's no "don't kill civilians" warning in Odyssey. You just get a higher bounty, which means that more mercenaries come up to you and give you their gear.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Also, all the civilians around you get mad and start attacking you, making it difficult not to get into a positive feedback loop making your bounty go up even faster :v:

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Perestroika posted:

All this also reminds me of Sleeping Dogs, which had the same thing with environmental takedowns, except just a little more grounded and more (sometimes much more) brutal. But the best part was that sometimes you'd do something like grapple a guy and kick out his kneecap, and all the other enemies still around would flinch and cringe away in sympathy :allears:

Nothing will beat bodyslamming some crook onto a pallet of upright swordfish heads.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'd be more shocked to learn there are people who DON'T immediately kick her off the ledge when that quest ends.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Roblo posted:

Nothing will beat bodyslamming some crook onto a pallet of upright swordfish heads.

I love how that even in a game as brutal as Sleeping Dogs gets, they still managed to escalate it with the last guy. The loving ice chipper. Jesus Christ. :stonk:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also, all the civilians around you get mad and start attacking you, making it difficult not to get into a positive feedback loop making your bounty go up even faster :v:

When that happens I just run away and hide on a rooftop until everyone has calmed down. The worst time this happened I killed a cultist, aggroed the whole town, then had to leave and come back to stab him later so the prompt wouldn't get interrupted.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got to the Destroyed Argent Facility level in Doom 2016 after the ridiculous marathon that was the level before it (which felt super long as you kept returning to old areas but with new paths to follow) and love that it gives you a view of the entire facility wrapping around your start point, with the whole thing completely engulfed in flame and infested with swarms of Cacodemons flying around in the distance. Gives a great sense of scale, especially since you can see where the level will end so unlike the prior Hell level you at least feel like you are going towards somewhere in particular.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Perestroika posted:

Especially while sparring with fellow students to learn new moves. Come student, you are needed for a demonstration...

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

moosecow333 posted:

RE4 remake added stealth kills, which is fine in its own right. What I really appreciate is that they allow you to stealth kill enemies who have just turned around and seen you, but would have no way to react in time.

Empty quoting this a week late

Actually, to expand on this I'm delighted that you can one hit stealth kill brute ganados and it was goddamn relieving to figure that out just as I got to the fish farm. Saved me a full tube of shotgun ammo.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 01:29 on Apr 1, 2023

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I just finished Hi-fi Rush. There's a lot of little things about that game that made me giggle, but one right in the final level The boss throws off his jacket to reveal his mechanical body, which immediately starts building pieces out Iron Man-style just to recreate the jacket.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Stealth games with a little last-second window before you're detected are great. MGSV has tons of fun ways to interrupt people right after they see you. Oh, you're gonna try to radio me in? How about an unconscious body in the face :madmax:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Captain Hygiene posted:

Stealth games with a little last-second window before you're detected are great. MGSV has tons of fun ways to interrupt people right after they see you. Oh, you're gonna try to radio me in? How about an unconscious body in the face :madmax:

The best is when you're in the slow-mo alert stage right before they call you out, you can throw an empty magazine. If you hit them in the head you get a satisfying klang and they get knocked out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

swordfish duelist posted:

The best is when you're in the slow-mo alert stage right before they call you out, you can throw an empty magazine. If you hit them in the head you get a satisfying klang and they get knocked out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVDaoOvJCSE
It's so good! It makes me laugh every time. I think you can even do it outside of reflex mode, but that feels like a one-in-a-million shot.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Especially while sparring with fellow students to learn new moves. Come student, you are needed for a demonstration...

Gotta break the knee for a few minutes before learning the new move

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I went back to the first two levels in Doom 2016 (not beaten the game yet, just felt like getting some extra things) to find the remaining secrets there and love that some of the secrets are interconnected, like there are 4 secrets that string into each other in the second level, culminating in potentially getting a gun early (although I already had the gun from the later levels). I also like that there are some unreachable areas that you can get to with the double jump going back to them, but while they don't count as secrets they did put items there to reward you finding those ledges. Like there are armour shards on the top of the first of the pump things in the first level.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Solenna posted:

In Yakuza 0 there are two protagonists who can both do special attacks depending on what kind of stuff is around you. Hit them into walls, slam car doors on them, that kind of thing. So if you're on a bridge over a river or lake you can instadefeat enemies by knocking them into the water. One guy accomplishes this by punching them in the stomach and doing a fancy back kick to knock them over the railing. Very cool, flashy move. I just discovered the other character does it by picking his opponent up over his head and just loving hurling them into the water with the camera making sure to zoom in on the enemy's terrified "oh gently caress this wasn't supposed to happen" face.

I am going to throw so many people off bridges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgQyx5xBu0U
Crime solved :cool:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Octopath Traveller 2 fixed one of the big complaints about the lack of party interaction in the original by adding side-stories that involve a pair of party members. Once they're both at a set point in their own main story, you unlock a little side-adventure focusing around them somewhere in the world. They also have multiple parts to unlock too, so they get a bit of depth and aren't just one-off vignettes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something that I appreciate about Doom 2016's UI is the little score counter in the top right showing how many enemies you've killed via the little filling in circles. It's a nice marker of how far into the level you are. On the level I'm currently on, Lazarus, it looks like I'm roughly halfway through as it's starting to fill the third little circle.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Haven't played it in years but DOOM felt like a constant string of "the little things." Such a great game all around.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Playing Fallout: New Vegas and I liked how Novac's name gets explained through environmental story telling: It's an old motel and the only letters that lights up on the No Vacancy sign is the first five

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

This glitch in Doom 2016 is annoying, but it's also hilarious. I chainsawed someone in a very late room in the Lazarus Labs, and it pushed me into a crate, so now I am trapped in a small box with no way out. Nothing can hit me, and I can hit nothing as I am in a small crate. I'm laughing right now.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
That’s actually very useful in speed runs as it can push you into walls and out of bounds (same with glory kills)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also just killed the (first actual boss at end of Lazarus Labs) Cyberdemon. I liked that it felt like an even match, because while it did a lot of damage, its attacks weren't THAT hard to dodge, I just had to be careful of some of them, particularly the shockwaves. It helped the power fantasy that some of my weapons were tearing through its large health bar, especially the Gauss Cannon.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Playing Fallout: New Vegas and I liked how Novac's name gets explained through environmental story telling: It's an old motel and the only letters that lights up on the No Vacancy sign is the first five

Likewise, the Ton Hotel in Deus Ex is a Hilton Hotel with a broken sign.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

BioEnchanted posted:

This glitch in Doom 2016 is annoying, but it's also hilarious. I chainsawed someone in a very late room in the Lazarus Labs, and it pushed me into a crate, so now I am trapped in a small box with no way out. Nothing can hit me, and I can hit nothing as I am in a small crate. I'm laughing right now.

New meaning for Time To Crate

"This is my crate! It was made for me!"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

SimonChris posted:

Likewise, the Ton Hotel in Deus Ex is a Hilton Hotel with a broken sign.

There's a town in Fallout 3 called Arefu, named after the highway sign outside, where the C and L in CAREFUL have been scuffed up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Toilet Rascal
There was an old quake mod where every player looked like a crate and also the map was full of crates that weren’t players. I never tried it but I really liked the idea

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Now you know how Doomguy felt before the game started.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Another small thing I like in Doom is enemies having varying animations both for dying and for killing you. I love the one with the Revenants where they rip your arm off and beat you with it. Also one pretty cool animation where something hit me from behind and it just resulted in Doom Slayer looking down to see a claw coming out of his chest. Also when strong weapons hit enemies and they just explode. The Cacodemons just pop like balloons, it's really satisfying, and I like that enemies take locational damage. At one point I could swear that I had one poor zombie with no arms still trying to headbutt me to death as whatever splash damage was done to it had failed to kill it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Basically Doom 2016 is just endless little things that add up to an absolutely amazing thing overall, it's top tier. :allears:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Philippe posted:

There's a town in Fallout 3 called Arefu, named after the highway sign outside, where the C and L in CAREFUL have been scuffed up.

It's also a village in Romania that's close to the castle that used to belong to Vlad "the Impaler" Tepes;:drac:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I liked that they changed Ashley in RE4 remake to be a tiny cartoon mouse

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

goblin week posted:

I liked that they changed Ashley in RE4 remake to be a tiny cartoon mouse

This is a weird meme. The internet is weird.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Holy gently caress that fight against the boss of the Necropolis in Doom 2016 was fun. His attacks in the latter half of the fight could be a pain (the vertical shockwaves were hard to predict, although the spinning flame attack basically acted as a break for me to relax) but I loved the bit where after you kill him, 2 more spawn and this time they are both easier as they share a health bar and get in each other's way and also don't have the shield at all, or the shockwave because they haven't got the sword anymore. It's quite funny how sometimes if one gets hit by the other they'll take a brief break to argue. Also it was nice that if you were good at the fight and knew how to stagger them you got extra health and ammo out of it. That was nice for those like me who suck at the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
I still find myself humming the title screen music from Far Cry 5.