Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

EorayMel posted:

I hope the hydraulic press channel squishes clay replicas of T-72s next week

Why not an actual T-72? They’re just lying around right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Vengarr posted:

Why not an actual T-72? They’re just lying around right now
Due to the lack of T-72s, they will squish a T-55 instead.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Unlike Swiss arms export licenses which are for display purposes only, the Finnish ones demand that you have to put them into use against Russia if there is a political opening to do so.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

EorayMel posted:

I hope the hydraulic press channel squishes clay replicas of T-72s next week

"It is very dangerous, and we must deal with it."

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

finally, common ground between the US and Russia

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The problem for Russia is that when they’re not doing their ‘I’m totally not owned bro’ media, is that Finland joining means an enormous amount of their non cruise missile or air dropped bomb nuclear deterrence is now like a helicopter jaunt from a NATO member. Along with the, correct me if I’m wrong, the biggest of their submarine bases. That’s why they’re being dongs about it and setting up all the GPS jamming along the border.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

finally, common ground between the US and Russia

The difference is you actually get some cool toys out of the MIC

E: :lmao:

https://www.reuters.com/world/north-korea-accuses-ukraine-having-nuclear-ambitions-kcna-2023-04-01/

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 1, 2023

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://mobile.twitter.com/leventkemaI/status/1642136073319985154

This is rad. gently caress putin and gently caress assad

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Kyiv in 10,000 years!!

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

GABA ghoul posted:

Yearly income:
-70 km2 empty land
- two empty villages
- 2 beet farms

Yearly expenses:
- 50k human lives
- 1k armored vehicles
- 200 aircrafts
- 2 million artillery shells

Someone who is good at imperialism, please help me manage this, my country is dying :(

Expend less lives.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

I can change her

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Potrzebie posted:

Expend less lives.
                                  no
                                 /

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Did loving Ukraine send aid to northern Syria? Jesus what a world. They just keep the dunks rolling

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

no
                                 /

Buy more candles? loyalty!

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I can change her

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I can change her

FMguru posted:

no
                                 /

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

FMguru posted:

no
                                 /

lmao

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Der Kyhe posted:

Taiwan part won't happen, but it does seem that China is at least looking into the possibility and options for retaking the parts of Manchuria that were lost to the Tsar in late 1800's.

Ah yes, it's the Taiwan part that makes this scenario insane.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

China is whining about nuclear weapons in third party countries because there's rumours that if Taiwan was genuinely threatened America would lend Taiwan some nukes. There may even be some there already, who knows.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I can change her
From being a lich?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lammasu posted:

From being a lich?

Don’t kink shame.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Lammasu posted:

From being a lich?

Litch, please.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukraine is popping counter artillery radars in big numbers.

This will drastically change how effective Russian Counter battery fire.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Hachi machi posting pals, take a look at all the lovely defenses the Russians threw up on Crimean beaches:

(satellite photos of said lovely defenses located in the article, so click thru!)

https://english.nv.ua/nation/occupiers-building-defensive-structures-en-masse-in-crimea-satellite-imagery-50314909.html

quote:

Russia’s military seems convinced that Ukraine’s long-expected counter-offensive will take place in Crimea, based on new defensive structures seen in satellite images analyzed by journalists from the Schemes and Crimea.Realities projects.

They published photos taken on March 10, 13, 14, and 16.

The images show two lines of trenches built just behind the administrative border, near the Russian checkpoint in Armyansk and the Perekop Isthmus. A branching system of fortifications has been built along the E-105 road, near Lake Syvash.

Further inside the Crimean Peninsula, beyond the Perekop Isthmus, new lines of defense are being created. A network of trenches spreads across both sides of the E-97 road, near the village of Filativka.

A strip of forest behind the village of Ishun, along the road toward Vorontsovka, has been turned into trenches. At least seven kilometers of trenches can be seen near the Yevtaporia beaches.

These defensive structures effectively cut off the Kerch Peninsula. Near the E-97 road, behind the village of Batalne, new trenches and caponiers for equipment can be seen.

“This may indicate that Russia has already begun preparing for a possible attack by the Armed Forces of Ukraine,” the journalists said.

Russian occupiers are digging trenches and fortifications practically along the entire coast of the Crimean Peninsula or on the Kerch Peninsula, the permanent representative of the President of Ukraine in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, Tamila Tasheva, told Radio NV in an interview.

In the fall of 2022, against the backdrop of statements by the Ukrainian government about the liberation of Crimea, Ukrainian military’s General Staff said the invaders were improving the fortifications of the defensive lines on the left bank of the Dnipro River and the north of the occupied Crimea.

Schemes is a Ukrainian investigative journalism project, which focuses on uncovering corruption and abuses of power in Ukraine.

Crimea.Realities is a project of Radio Free Europe/Radio Svoboda, which provides news and analytics about Crimea and its annexation by Russia. Both projects have extensively covered the situation in Crimea since the annexation in 2014.

Also, have some sick pro-Ukrainian graffiti (from the article):

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1642380057057304576
We'll get em next time!

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Getting called a brotherly people by the Russian state means you are about to get treated worse than the Germans in 1945.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ah good good yes and some cocktails to go with the bread baskets

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

HonorableTB posted:

Also, have some sick pro-Ukrainian graffiti (from the article):

loving LOL that the other end of the handcuffs disappears into the sewers

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

You see, they didn't explicitly said WHICH march

checkmate natoailures

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Well, Elon...

e: found a better link

https://twitter.com/P_Kallioniemi/status/1642425186224947200

https://twitter.com/P_Kallioniemi/status/1642425189680963584

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 2, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

drat, it's almost as if being against Ukraine winning the war and expelling Russia out from their borders is explicitly a right-wing viewpoint

Nutty

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Toxic Mental posted:

drat, it's almost as if being against Ukraine winning the war and expelling Russia out from their borders is explicitly a right-wing viewpoint

Nutty

Yes but have you considered that Elon is a centrist and we can't know his politics.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Someone should send him over there to negotiate.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Some more stuff from Yle, this time an interview with a Russian journalist who has faced serious consequences for opposing Putin and the war. The translation is by me, and as a small note in the "she got angry, I got angry, they got angry" section naturally in the original Finnish the source was not gendered because we don't have gendered pronouns, but for readability I replaced the gender neutral third party pronoun.

Original author: Sanna Uosukainen
Source: Yle

Yle posted:

"Now we understand that they were preparing for war" -- muscovite Margarita Aljohina recounts the events leading up to her losing her job.

Russia's strict media laws force journalists to follow censorship protocols, or to leave the country. Yle reached a freelance journalist in Moscow, who considers herself lucky despite her difficult situation.

Journalist Margarita Aljohina was fired after the beginning of the war in Ukraine. Now she tries to make a living by writing for small publications for small pay, but she isn't ready to leave Russia just yet.

In what kind of situation are you answering this phone call?

I have been unemployed for a year. I'm working as a freelancer.

Tell us about yourself. What have you been working on as a journalist these past few years?

I was a legal reporter for RBC. It's a big Russian media. I reported on legal cases relating to corruption and security organizations for over five years.

A year ago I had to quit my job, even though I loved it. The situation in the media changed in 2021, and now we can understand that [the government] was preparing for war.

Government officials executed a purge in the media field and put us under tight controls. Any even slightly liberal media was branded as foreign agents. It was extremely difficult to do our jobs. I could not speak to experts or human rights organizations, because they had also been branded foreign agents.

I was fired on the third day of the war, on the 26th of February, because I took a comment from an expert who had been branded a "foreign agent". The publication's editorial staff changed the expert's title, and she got angry, then I got angry, then everyone got angry. And then I was fired.

Can you write under your own name anymore?

Sometimes yes. In some situations I write under my own name, if it's an article that doesn't deal with sensitive subjects. If the article does, I will use a fake name.

How are you able to keep working in these circumstances?

I think I will keep working as a freelancer for different media, even though it means a lot of work for very little money.

I can't rule out the possibility of leaving Russia and finding some way of working remotely.

Do journalists have ways of circumventing the media laws?

They can leave Russia, like many of my friends and colleagues did. Many also left because they were forced to. They were threatened or charged, or it was just dangerous in general to work as a journalist in Russia. Not many of them actually wanted to leave.

Another alternative is to work in an independent publication in Russia. There are publications which are published from abroad, and small publications aimed at professions, like the small legal publication I work for. That way you don't have to work against your conscience. And of course you can also quit your profession and do something else.

Have journalists fled the country, as far as you know?

There are so many journalists in Georgia. They aren't very happy though, sadly. A friend of mine who left recently just keeps crying, and I don't know how to help them. Leaving a country is one thing when you want to do it, but being forced out quickly is painful.

Are there people in Russia trying to change things?

They definitely exist. I am not surrounded by people who support Putin or the war. Some try to help Ukrainians who arrive in Russia. There are also protests, but they are small due to our recent legislation.

I participated in demonstrations before the war. Now I can't, because I need to look after my mother. People aren't afraid just for themselves, but also their loved ones and relatives. Because of this many are forced to be more passive than they would like to be.

How can you oppose the war from within Russia?

We can help those who have been hurt by the war, for instance by losing their homes. We can also write on social media, to show people they aren't alone. Assemblies are practically forbidden. It's dangerous to transfer any money to Ukrainians, because the government is actively monitoring that. In Moscow there was a case where a man had transferred money to a pro-Ukrainian charity. He is now being charged with treason and is facing a 20 year prison sentence.

What kind of topics can you cover as a journalist?

Relating to the war, I can write about the poor treatment Ukrainians face in Russia, and I can write about criminal cases being brought against brave protestors. I can research statistics related to court cases, or how the war is being financed. For instance, the staff of Mediazona, who I work with, is trying to find irregularities in these statistics and analyze them.

Do you know of any journalists, who are working in an anti-war movement?

In Russia we are used to separating journalism and activism. Journalists who work as activists will have a hard time finding jobs in any bigger publications. They will work in small medias, and are a very small group.

Is there anything else you would like to say?

My sources have gone quiet. They refuse to tell me anything. They are scared. Some have moved and become alienated from our current situation.

I can't meet anyone face to face, which is important to me as a journalist. My life has become more difficult, even though I am comparatively in a pretty good situation compared to those who have been forced out, and those who are being persecuted. Every Russian lost something over the last year, even though they might not think so.

In this article series we call Russians on the telephone, and try to find answers on how life is for different Russian profesionals, citizens, journalists and activists.

E: fixed a typo

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 2, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Lines up with the recent uptick of news from Russia, of a rise in informers reporting everyone they could possibly think of, to the cops and FSB. The local population is still mostly with Putin and his government and consider anyone even slightly against the war or trying to help those affected by it as traitors. I fear it'll only get worse from here as things go even more badly on the battlefield for Putler's rag-tag army.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Drone_Fragger posted:

China is whining about nuclear weapons in third party countries because there's rumours that if Taiwan was genuinely threatened America would lend Taiwan some nukes. There may even be some there already, who knows.

Nukes don't really work, if no one knows you have any.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have nukes.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Karate Bastard posted:

I have nukes.

We know, Mr. Putin, you've mentioned as much.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

THE BAR posted:

Nukes don't really work, if no one knows you have any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Schrodinger's Nukes