Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How do I use the ascension planet thing? I was bombing some filthy xeno planets and noticed that they had a tier 1 ascension factory world and tier 1 ascension capital. I can't find a button anywhere for it. And I thought that was locked behind dlc anyway? Is it yet another thing the AI is allowed to use regardless but I have to buy it, in freaking singleplayer? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It's really frustrating trying to get back into the game and not being to do anything but play military focused empires, since you always, ALWAYS start off with slaving despots or hegemonic imperialist neighbors (sometimes both!)

Edit: sorry, this post wasn't true. Sometimes, you get purifiers. I haven't been able to get my feet off the ground for 3 tries now. Was it always this bad?

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 1, 2023

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
:xcom:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It's really frustrating trying to get back into the game and not being to do anything but play military focused empires, since you always, ALWAYS start off with slaving despots or hegemonic imperialist neighbors (sometimes both!)

Edit: sorry, this post wasn't true. Sometimes, you get purifiers. I haven't been able to get my feet off the ground for 3 tries now. Was it always this bad?
Kinda yeah.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

This has always been an issue. The only sure way to a friendly galaxy is still manually selecting which empires you want to spawn.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sometimes the true origin story is that you won a military conflict with the evil civilization a few systems over.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I don't even want a friendly galaxy, I would just like to not have aggressive fleet spamming assholes directly on all of my borders every time I play.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

I don't even want a friendly galaxy, I would just like to not have aggressive fleet spamming assholes directly on all of my borders every time I play.

A map designer/scenario editor is something I've wanted for a while with Stellaris. It's fun to have some assholes in the galaxy, but being pinned between two genocidal empires from the jump is just restart worthy.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2621564981

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I have an empire near me that I want to impose ideology on, but he has numerous vassals, some between me and him. What happens if I take vassal space and status quo? Do the vassal systems become a new nation?

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 2, 2023

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
My current run in Fear of the Dark I’d planned to eventually take the fanatic purifier at the end of the origin when starting out, but despite my two nearest neighbours being slaving despots and a criminal syndicate, pretty much every single other state in the entire galaxy was either fanatic egalitarian or fanatic xenophile, which made the mid game pivot feel a little…unlikely. the only halfway plausible reason I could come up with to decide to start blasting was it might have been the one way I could shut up the galaxy from sending me about fifty proposals a month for various commercial, research and migration pacts.

Instead I’m going to use my free fourth civic slot to take pompous purists to give my ears a rest.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Reveilled posted:

My current run in Fear of the Dark I’d planned to eventually take the fanatic purifier at the end of the origin when starting out, but despite my two nearest neighbours being slaving despots and a criminal syndicate, pretty much every single other state in the entire galaxy was either fanatic egalitarian or fanatic xenophile, which made the mid game pivot feel a little…unlikely. the only halfway plausible reason I could come up with to decide to start blasting was it might have been the one way I could shut up the galaxy from sending me about fifty proposals a month for various commercial, research and migration pacts.

Instead I’m going to use my free fourth civic slot to take pompous purists to give my ears a rest.

I use the pompous purists civic a lot for precisely this reason.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Everyone in this universe is too nice and we all killed the space racists so there's no conflicts and now I'm bored as poo poo

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

Everyone in this universe is too nice and we all killed the space racists so there's no conflicts and now I'm bored as poo poo

Well the only option ist to become a space racist and kill them all.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I did a life-seeded start so I had to be nice to all the aliens so I can colonize all these horrible non-Gaia worlds. Nice races loving suck.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Yami Fenrir posted:

This is unironically a massive advantage and I should get it more often.

10% research speed is honestly nothing given that early you can't really afford too many science labs anyway.

Improving the appearance rate of purple card techs is also a valuable component of that Perk.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It's been a while since I really dug into the game, but if anything it always felt like +10% early is more significant than +10% late, since you reach the various key techs earlier. And does it even matter if you don't have many science labs early especially when techs are cheaper early too, if your garbage research takes you 100 months to research something important in the space stone age, cutting it down to ~90 is welcome regardless.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 2, 2023

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

HiKaizer posted:

Improving the appearance rate of purple card techs is also a valuable component of that Perk.

yeah i'd still take it early. Just second perk instead of first.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Kanfy posted:

It's been a while since I really dug into the game, but if anything it always felt like +10% early is more significant than +10% late, since you reach the various key techs earlier. And does it even matter if you don't have many science labs early especially when techs are cheaper early too, if your garbage research takes you 100 months to research something important in the space stone age, cutting it down to ~90 is welcome regardless.

More research is always good but you may be looking at a significant opportunity cost in the early game for it. 10% looks big on paper but when that is turning 10 base research into 11 you can probably get better results building a lab and doubling your base output first. With the way tech cost scaling works even if you delay your tech a bit you'll still have caught up by mid game if not pulled ahead thanks to a stronger economic base.

The usual caveats of how your current economic and political outlooks apply of course. If you're anticipating early war then getting weapon techs a year early may be vital.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Im continuing this game purely out of spite at this point. My planets are all tiny and I just found the cybrex homeworld... linked to the militant isolationists. Humbug.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I have an empire near me that I want to impose ideology on, but he has numerous vassals, some between me and him. What happens if I take vassal space and status quo? Do the vassal systems become a new nation?

If you have claims on them, they'll become your systems instead, I think. New space nations can only form if the systems taken include at least one planet anyway.

If you don't have claims, then your occupiers just leave and release them back to the vassal in question.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Speaking of those xenophobe assholes, every single game I play there will be a primitive civ adjacent to them that gets turbofucked as soon as they hit the space age.

One game even had the broken shackles civ start next to them in a dead end cluster that they never could get out of, and they spent the entire game getting war dec'd by the FE on cooldown. At some point a grey goo fleet made it back to them and put them out of their misery.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Hey, as long as the devs don't add better start editor functions, the observe and play x commands are your friend, also force-spawning your own NPCs to fill up slots.

There's also a mod that I'm using that prevents empires from spawning too close together. You don't have to be as obsessive/compulsive as I am about things, even: If you use the mod and set spawning in the start menu to "clusters", the mod will spread empires mostly equally out across the galaxy. (It can't really control where raiders and fallen empires land, though. If one of those falls down near your starting point, you'll still have to deal with it.)

Edit:

I nearly forgot, this mod is literally called "No Clustered Starts", so you can find it in the workshop.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Man, the AI is REALLY annoying when a few empires vassalize all their tiny neighbors, then the handful of overlord all have defensive pacts to each other. Literally any war I declare kicks off a galaxy wide war.

Edit: Even the option of getting their vassals to all swear secret fealty to you is dumb because they all decide to have 10+ claims each so there is 0 chance of winning the war when those chuckle fucks don't even bother invading the systems they claim.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 2, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Either Payback is a much harder origin than it seems or I've somehow inexplicably had my Stellaris skills massively deteroriate (or the AI got smarter again I guess). I put the difficulty down to Captain and I'm still routinely getting my butt kicked because I can't dig out of the technological/economical hole, and I do not get it. It's Captain difficulty! I should have the rest of the galaxy lapped by 2350!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CapnAndy posted:

Either Payback is a much harder origin than it seems or I've somehow inexplicably had my Stellaris skills massively deteroriate (or the AI got smarter again I guess). I put the difficulty down to Captain and I'm still routinely getting my butt kicked because I can't dig out of the technological/economical hole, and I do not get it. It's Captain difficulty! I should have the rest of the galaxy lapped by 2350!

When was the last time you played, and are you using scaling difficulty, because yes the AI is smarter. It has been improved a lot in recent patches.

Traditional wisdom if you aren't hyper optimizing the early game is to use scaling difficulty.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Payback also has you starting down 10 pops, with less research completed, and with starting devastation. That's a decent amount to claw back from.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
They must have fixed pre-FTL civs hitting hyperdrive tech, it now properly costs influence to annex the new planet, rather than before where it cost influence to let them go.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I found a void dwellers pre-ftl and used espionage to annex them, but they had a planet capital building instead of a habitat one, so I couldn't build any advanced buildings because the habitat buildings require the habitat capital upgrades.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

bobtheconqueror posted:

I found a void dwellers pre-ftl and used espionage to annex them, but they had a planet capital building instead of a habitat one, so I couldn't build any advanced buildings because the habitat buildings require the habitat capital upgrades.
Yup. Congrats on your new strategy of trying to rush habitats so you can house them somewhere productive!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp. Looks like paradox is shutting down game studios, including the one currently working on Stellaris. Gotta chase those quarterly profits. Did they up the price on the last dlc to try to squeeze out the last drips?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtH_2JTYj28

Poil fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 4, 2023

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Poil posted:

Welp. Looks like paradox is shutting down game studios, including the one currently working on Stellaris. Gotta chase those quarterly profits. Did they up the price on the last dlc to try to squeeze out the last drips?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtH_2JTYj28

Did you miss the whole intro to this video which is a lengthy apology for misleading people into thinking what you posted is what's happening?

Paradox is laying off some people from a studio which has a few people that work on Stellaris. That's all. Staff already confirmed on the PDX forums that the "vast majority" of staff are unaffected and development is continuing, including Custodian work.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/paradox-closing-studios-montu-plays-report.1576739/page-2#post-28859477

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't understand why only Stellaris has a Custodian team.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Vicky 3 is still too recently released to really need to worry about that sort of thing. CK3 maybe could use it soon and I have no idea about HoI4. It never really interested me.

I found an annoying interaction with criminal syndicates. If they're a vassal when you go to war with the expropriation casus belli it will remove the branch offices of the overlord if you win, while the vassal criminal syndicate is unaffected. I hope this gets fixed soon because it's annoying.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TOOT BOOT posted:

CK3 doesn't really need it quite yet. They are still expanding and overhauling base game stuff, see the latest dev diary about feasts, hunts, pilgrimages, etc.

EUIV desperately needs one, and that there's no sign of it ever getting one indicates to me that EUV is at least in the planning stages.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bobtheconqueror posted:

Have you tried demolishing and replacing the building? That should work.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Can you demolish the capital buildings? I've never tried personally because I assumed they were unable to be removed.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

TOOT BOOT posted:

We need one for Imperator: Rome. We need it desperately.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HiKaizer posted:

Can you demolish the capital buildings? I've never tried personally because I assumed they were unable to be removed.

Huh. I looked this up in my current run, and it turns out that this function must have been patched out at some point, because I remember it being possible at some point.

I also can't find the button to just abandon a colony, but that may be just a case of stupid on my part.

Honestly, though, if all else fails just make that dumb place a factory for more pops and then never look at it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bobtheconqueror posted:

Are you ironmanning it? If not, save, open the console, clear a space on the habitat if you don't have one, then open the console, select the habitat, and paste either of these into the console:

effect add_building = building_hab_capital

or

effect add_building = building_hab_major_capital

But uh, definitely save first.