Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

lol what

every telegram from both sides is always just "ahhh poo poo it's all hosed now we've lost" said at exactly the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

crepeface posted:

do you have a brand recommendation

Personally I got the "fancy" ergotron branded ones. I've had no problems with them at all.

The only thing I can say is that I made a mistake of getting a dual arm instead of a single separate arm for each display, you get more freedom to put the displays where you want with two separate arms.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol what

every telegram from both sides is always just "ahhh poo poo it's all hosed now we've lost" said at exactly the same time

Yeah the difference is that is that Russian telegram operates on the "we're losing every day we're not winning" principle like everyone else.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Lostconfused posted:

Personally I got the "fancy" ergotron branded ones. I've had no problems with them at all.

The only thing I can say is that I made a mistake of getting a dual arm instead of a single separate arm for each display, you get more freedom to put the displays where you want with two separate arms.

hmm ok.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T5SY43L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this one for like $30 and it works great.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There are all kinds of books about the letters soldiers wrote in previous wars, censorship, self-censorship and so on, but in the most general terms, soldiers do not write that a battle is going well (as it's happening) because battles loving suck. They can only see what's in the couple hundred metres in front of them, and have no idea what things are like for the enemy. They might write positively beforehand if they're confident, or gloomily, if they're pessimistic, and of course afterwards they'll reflect on it based on the result, (or perceived result) but the VK and Telegram stuff is bitching and moaning because that's a soldiers life.

When it comes to Russians bitching about "no ammo" specifically, there is never enough artillery as far as the infantry in concerned. They'd much rather the enemy be shot off their position. Your platoon's request for fire being denied because, in a battle with tens of thousands of combatants, tasking a battery to fire on a single machine gun position is not worth the effort is going to feel bad. "We don't have the untasked guns and available ammunition to completely neutralize that trench, you'll have to assault it", is a pretty reasonable thing to say to a lower echelon making an absurd request.

I say this because in battles where we know the preparatory barrage killed hundreds or thousands of people, the Somme, Arras, Cambrai, El Alamein, the initial landings in Normandy, Goodwood, Charnwood, Plunder, the infantry still bitched that the barrage had not done its job. Their standard was "kill every German between here and Berlin". You can go through accounts of battles, it's a pretty common motif. Part of that might be too much salesmanship by officers when instilling confidence in the artillery preparation, or just that you can't really see the effect of shellfire on a trench if the enemy (survivors) in the trench are shooting at you when you get there. Idk, I guess there are a lot of ways to think about this.

Now, if you gave any of those people in the past the ability to instantly communicate how they felt about it, I would speculate we'd see a lot of bitching and moaning.

One thing I will briefly detour into mentioning is that I've seen multiple (anglo) historians shocked at the erotic nature of letters written between poilus and their wives in the Great War :france:.

I just find that funny, since Anglo soldiers often came across as barely affectionate towards their wives. Probably just the literary culture of the time, or awareness of censorship, but still.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 18:58 on Apr 1, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

i got one of the cheapo 17 dollar north whatevers and as far as I can tell the only weakness is the base where it swivels. broke one after like 3 years. i swung it back and forth like a madman though lol. cost 17 bucks tho so who cares. if its not gonna be moving and you're not at like the extreme of the weight i can't imagine it'll ever matter.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I say this because in battles where we know the preparatory barrage killed hundreds or thousands of people, the Somme, Arras, Cambrai, El Alamein, the initial landings in Normandy, Goodwood, Charnwood, Plunder, the infantry still bitched that the barrage had not done its job. Their standard was "kill every German between here and Berlin". You can go through accounts of battles, it's a pretty common motif. Part of that might be too much salesmanship by officers when instilling confidence in the artillery preparation, or just that you can't really see the effect of shellfire on a trench if the enemy (survivors) in the trench are shooting at you when you get there. Idk, I guess there are a lot of ways to think about this.

The soldier might just not have been able to stay long enough to differentiate between corpse of enemy they had to shoot and those that died from the barrages but didn't explicitly showed that. They corpse of a guy who took a 75mm to the chest is easily to identify as "dead by artillery" by the soldier who get to the trench because you only find parts. On the flip side, the guy who died 10 meters away because one shell fragment hit him right in the heart can look like a shooting death in the heat of trench assault unless he get inspected a bit more which the soldier have no time for I guess.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Did google image search get much worse recently? I know there are hundreds of photos of positions captured after battles, because I've seen them, but google is not proving helpful at all for showing what you're describing. You nailed it.

I'm not going to pour through books just to illustrate a post, but yeah, you're absolutely right. Most of the time there's just garbage and stuff lying around you wouldn't be able to tell that the defenders were suppressed and their defences damaged until you occupied it.

I don't remember GIS being this bad though, is this just me?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Google has been getting worse for years now. Its not so much falling apart as just becoming a tool for advertisers and information control. Its being perfected but not as a search engine.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Google has been getting worse for years now. Its not so much falling apart as just becoming a tool for advertisers and information control. Its being perfected but not as a search engine.

this

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah google is another perfect example of something getting more poo poo the more popular it got.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm not going to pour through books just to illustrate a post

you’re not fooling anyone, you know

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

You cannot look up a food recipe to save your life on google.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

This very old tumblr post is still the best version of googling a recipe

quote:

galpalactic
me: *googles how to mash potatoes*

some food blogger: My childhood home was full of wind and light. On a brisk Autumn evening, it often felt as if the outside was in. My younger sister, my mother, our favourite cousin, our dog, our other dog, our dog’s sister, and I would sit on the floor in the living room for hours, lit only by the moon and candlelight

me: *scrolls for several minutes*

some food blogger: It was at that moment, with my tiny hands clasped tightly around a mason jar filled with fireflies, that I realised the true value of family. My dog and my dog’s sister came and sat quietly at my feet. We stared up at the sky together, and I felt truly connected to both the Earth at my feet and the ancestors who shared the blood that ran through them, for the first time realising that

me: *scrolls for several minutes*

some food blogger: and when we finally made it home, our cheeks flushed with laughter and cold, there were warm mashed potatoes waiting for us. I will always remember their fluffiness, perfectly mirroring the light feeling I carried with me for the entire next week. This is my favourite cousin’s recipe from that very day, modified slightly to not be loving awful. Boil an potato and smush it up with fork and botter. NOT A RAW, Salt, pepepr. In it
https://www.tumblr.com/madlori/134881787595/galpalactic-me-googles-how-to-mash-potatoes

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

if it’s an “ethnic” recipe throwing a site:*.tld at the end can help where tld means .ca or .jm or

e: just tested it and holy poo poo it doesn’t work anymore, the SEO freaks now buy those tld too

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

But who is trying to sell me "captured German positions, Italy"? The results aren't even close.

I had to click "The rest of the results might not be what you're looking for. See more anyway" at the bottom, and the first result was more or less what I was looking for,

Men of the 7th Cheshire Regiment, 5th Infantry Division's machine gun battalion, in a captured German communications trench during the offensive at Anzio, Italy, 22 May 1944. NA15298.

But you would think wikipedia results would be some of the first ones, right? Usually?

Comrade Koba posted:

Of course once I had a visual example, I did start going through my books on Anzio to see if I could find an account of the action described. I figured there was grumbling about the artillery not supporting the attack enough. I don't have a copy of The History Of The Cheshire Regiment In The Second World War, but

The Cheshire's in Italy posted:

While the main attack on Rome... was made in the direction of Valetri and Valmontone, a diversionary attack was organised on the enemy’s right flank of our [5th] Divisional Command and, with the exception of the crossing of the Garigliano, this provided ‘A’ Company with one of the most interesting and exciting spells of action in which it had taken part.

No. 11 Platoon started the ball rolling. This platoon came under command of ‘D’ Company 1st [Bn] Green Howards on 23 May [1944], and following the tanks, prepared to consolidate the feature L’Americano just occupied by the infantry. The platoon reconnaissance party encountered the enemy earlier than expected. After having gone about 30 yards, they bumped the Germans and immediately opened fire with all they had, and those of the enemy that were not killed were taken prisoner.

The party resumed the reconnaissance. They had not gone very far when Sergeant W Winders saw six enemy running to a machine gun post. He and his range taker, Private W North, moved forward and were fired on by another machine gun. Sergeant Winders immediately charged one machine gun post firing his tommy-gun from the hip, and Private North attacked the other firing his rifle. The latter was wounded but continued to fire until he collapsed, thus drawing the fire from Sergeant Winders. The platoon eventually got into action, and three times Winders and Corporal F Hough tried to bring in North, but were pinned to the ground at each attempt. The platoon wireless set was hit, but the operators were only slightly wounded. An infantry attack had been planned for the evening, but had to be abandoned owing to very severe casualties, so the platoon threw dannert wire round their positions and dug in on the spot. A troop of tanks moved up on the left of the platoon to assist in the defence, but could not get into position owing to heavy anti-tank fire; two tanks were left blazing.

As night fell, the enemy attacked and were very successfully engaged by all four guns, and, suffering heavy casualties, were forced to withdraw... The platoon therefore mustered all available small arms fire and grenades to deal with the expected counter-attack. At 9 pm, this came, and by the light of one of our blazing tanks, the platoon engaged the enemy with all the small arms available. The Germans were soon dropping in front of the wire, and began to shout in English, “Stop firing and come out and fight.” The platoon kept firing and it was the Germans who stopped fighting. After further attacks they withdrew.

When the platoon was subsequently withdrawn over the river, Private’s TR Wattleworth and A Millward were the last over, and performed a very gallant act in covering the infantry over the river, and finally getting back themselves under heavy machine gun fire...

This seems to be roughly the action in question, the fighting for L’Americano on 22-23 May 1944. The infantry they were accompanying would be ‘D’ company, 1st Bn Green Howards, so their war diary would probably have an account of the artillery plan they were briefed on before the attack, and their impression of the effect on target. I suppose I could see what RA batteries were firing in support, go through their war diaries and logs... but it's the weekend.

My point is that it never feels like there's enough artillery and also captured enemy positions don't look as destroyed as people expect them to.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:10 on Apr 1, 2023

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

Frosted Flake posted:

But who is trying to sell me "captured German positions, Italy"? The results aren't even close.

I had to click "The rest of the results might not be what you're looking for. See more anyway" at the bottom, and the first result was more or less what I was looking for,

Men of the 7th Cheshire Regiment, 5th Infantry Division's machine gun battalion, in a captured German communications trench during the offensive at Anzio, Italy, 22 May 1944. NA15298.

But you would think wikipedia results would be some of the first ones, right? Usually?

Of course once I had a visual example, I did start going through my books on Anzio to see if I could find an account of the action described. I figured there was grumbling about the artillery not supporting the attack enough. I don't have a copy of The History Of The Cheshire Regiment In The Second World War, but

This seems to be roughly the action in question, the fighting for L’Americano on 22-23 May 1944. The infantry they were accompanying would be ‘D’ company, 1st Bn Green Howards, so their war diary would probably have an account of the artillery plan they were briefed on before the attack, and their impression of the effect on target. I suppose I could see what RA batteries were firing in support, go through their war diaries and logs... but it's the weekend.

My point is that it never feels like there's enough artillery and also captured enemy positions don't look as destroyed as people expect them to.

Lol

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

Did google image search get much worse recently? I know there are hundreds of photos of positions captured after battles, because I've seen them, but google is not proving helpful at all for showing what you're describing. You nailed it.

I'm not going to pour through books just to illustrate a post, but yeah, you're absolutely right. Most of the time there's just garbage and stuff lying around you wouldn't be able to tell that the defenders were suppressed and their defences damaged until you occupied it.

It's absolutely worse, as is the normal search and most of the tools.

You can slightly unfuck things by adding some filters in ublock origin but it's more than a matter of SEO-spammed garbage sites taking up space too. They've steadily added layers of language model interpretive bullshit that fuzzes search queries into genericized poo poo. Good internet search engines are dead.

PHONEPOSTING FREAK

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

That's exactly the problem, there's nothing to sell you for that search so you're getting nothing in return

you're not profitable

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWbytHBp0zI&t=44s

lol the internet has been fully enclosed

edit: my favorite part is when the artificially reduced number of pages all end up having the same handful of results (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O_NvPpbsbw&t=205s). use yandex, the west is done for and the rot is everywhere

Delta-Wye has issued a correction as of 21:57 on Apr 1, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

'Green Howards' is the most British unit name my god lmao

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

did either side do a good april fools prank this year?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

R. Mute posted:

did either side do a good april fools prank this year?

Biden said he was in favor of a lasting negotiated peace even if it involved some uncomfortable compromises, but he had his fingers crossed behind his back when he said it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Delta-Wye posted:

edit: my favorite part is when the artificially reduced number of pages all end up having the same handful of results (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O_NvPpbsbw&t=205s). use yandex, the west is done for and the rot is everywhere

Suddenly microfiche and stacks of books doesn't seem so bad eh?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

:thunk:

it's doing this with ever search for me. usually page 6 or 11. not sure if it's my adblock/filter or some of their a/b test poo poo or if they just cap out results now because gently caress it

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Donbass Devushka posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
Cannon 2000 rounds per minute to guard the bread machine

These are the realities of being in a war zone. Logistics columns are hunted down and attacked by the enemy in the same way as military equipment, perhaps considering it an easier target. The calculation of the anti-aircraft installation is in constant tension, because they have had to repel attacks more than once.

Every day, vehicles with food, ammunition and fuel are sent to the line of contact. So fresh bread is delivered to each unit leading the fighting on the front line.
(from t.me/DonbassDevushka/51838, via tgsa)

Protecting the bread with autocannons.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

oceania had always been at war with eastasia, doncha know

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I believe I'm owed several apologies.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Doug Ford saying we don’t need libraries because we have Google really loving showed how stupid that goon is. shoutout for including the TPL

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Isentropy posted:

Doug Ford saying we don’t need libraries because we have Google really loving showed how stupid that goon is. shoutout for including the TPL

How could I not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOGEyBeoBGM

e: While I was looking to see if anyone submitted to our journal on "the Insurrection", I was reminded: have I mentioned we make problems available monthly as a fun little game? I guess it's better suited to the Wargames thread, but this month's is called Commitment Issues.

It's the link above.

I think you can submit your answers to the public email address, because it says it's open to "motivated self-learners", and successful solutions are sometimes published in the next issue.

ee: I am not Maj Rolls, lol before anyone emails him something weird.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 22:57 on Apr 1, 2023

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

My ivy-league educated, phone scrolling boomer dad can't identity a single source for any of the information he consumes nowadays.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

I like how the exact same wikipedia page just shows up repeatedly across multiple pages.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I have noticed the results during the last couple of years have been very pre-canned and come from a relatively small group of sources, just deep enough for most people.

It is also why Wikipedia has become so locked down.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

How could I not?

didn't clive owen have a shootout in here?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
who needs to know anything when you can just google??

*receives 10 pages, each with the same 10 results*

*each of 10 results is from one of 6 different media conglomerates*

*the 6 media conglomerates are owned by 3 people*

*all 3 people agree on exactly what you should know*

see, bing bong so simple. i don't even have to think anymore, the headlines spell it out clearly for me

edit: i am very excited to see congresscriters asking questions like "can we just make saying mean things about banks online illegal?" and everyone nods along sagely

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I recently tried to search up info about January 6 actually, but it was in the context of trying to find information about the guy who tazed his balls until he died. Couldn't find anything!!!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Frosted Flake posted:

One thing I will briefly detour into mentioning is that I've seen multiple (anglo) historians shocked at the erotic nature of letters written between poilus and their wives in the Great War :france:.

I recently bought a copy of 'Poilu', the letters and notebooks of Cpl Louis Barthas, and now I have something to look forward to in reading it :v:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Delta-Wye posted:

who needs to know anything when you can just google??

*receives 10 pages, each with the same 10 results*

*each of 10 results is from one of 6 different media conglomerates*

*the 6 media conglomerates are owned by 3 people*

*all 3 people agree on exactly what you should know*

see, bing bong so simple. i don't even have to think anymore, the headlines spell it out clearly for me

I mean, this is probably something that bothers me more than most, but like I was saying "artillery", as something with almost no public interest, "Russian shell production by year", "Russian D-30s in storage" "Russian artillery doctrine", "122mm shell filler" etc. have completely and totally changed since about January of last year. It's not even close.

Actually, as unbiased observers, who are more tech savvy than me, you could probably see the difference between let's say before November 2021 and now. Also, as I said early, ISW, RUSI, even places like Forbes and the Economists having wildly different opinions on Ukrainian artillery strength and the size of Russia's arm and stockpiles. The 180 in coverage is pretty crazy to me but probably moreso to people who don't know how this stuff wears reported before.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:24 on Apr 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, when talking about Soviet/Russian land equipment, a lot of it has changed or became pop articles if it has touched “the narrative” at any point, and it has become harder to find information even from after the war just started.

At a certain point you just have to go footnote hunting with library genesis open in another tab.

Eventually the libraries (physical or otherwise) along with VPNs will get shutdown and everyone will be down to “exchanges” like Soylent Green.