Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

James Hoffman tried the new Starbucks olive oil drinks and he doesn't hate them and actually finds them intriguing. Though he's tasting them at their flagship Reserve Roastery in Milan. I'm sure it will turn to poo poo by the time it comes here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XewgO7j6y-E

I think it’s already rolled out to most, if not all, the Reserves. Looking at the menus for the US stores shows Oleato drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh I meant a normal Starbucks.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

exciting new tech dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OFt2T8aH9I

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hell yeah they're available today too, no kickstarter!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I seriously want the tiny wooden espresso machine/bakery display, I think it would look rad on a shelf in my kitchen

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
The plastic burr holder for my Virtuoso broke and I think it's time to replace the whole burr. Any reason not just to order the set from Baratza? It's way cheaper than I expected at $16 and I'm a bit confused since they are selling the same one for Encore and Virtuoso replacements, and I know when I bought the grinder they used different burrs. I'm grinding 99% of the time for V60 pourers.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Niche released a 83mm flat burr grinder:

https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/products/niche-duo

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Looks nice, but delivered it is almost three times the price of the Sculpture 78s.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

jesus christ, these prices

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Koffee Mameya and Koffee Mameya Kakeru are the best places I’ve ever been to for coffee.

The tasting menu at Kakeru and the cold extraction process they’re using for some pour over is so interesting and the conversation you can have about everything is so educational. Anything you want to know, basic or nuanced, is answered or explained with such patience.

I cannot recommend either place enough.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’ve got a $10 dimmer being delivered today that I’m going to wire into my Bambino so I can control the flow of my shot.

I also ordered a Felicita Arc from AliExpress. It’s a blatant ripoff of the Acaia Lunar for half the cost with a slightly wider base so your portafilter can fit on it.

I’m excited to play with Smart Espresso Profiler and Bean Conquerer app so I can try out some other types of espresso shots - turbo, sprover, allonge, and a modern lungo.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 2, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The dimmer mod was a success, and looks pretty clean:

Once my bluetooth scale gets here, I'll figure out how many bars of pressure and print out a nice label for the knob.

I'm pretty happy with mod overall - I love being able to pre-infuse at a really low pressure for an extended period of time, which helps prevents channeling and gives me a little more control if I didn't hit my grind properly. Pre-heating is also less of a concern because I can pre-infuse at lower pressure for longer and allow the bambino's heatblock to heat up before turning up the pressure for the bulk of my shot.

I still kinda wish I had spent a little bit more and picked up a Gaggia Classic Pro, but mostly because I'd love to tinker and I'd end up adding flow control, PID, smart controller, etc.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 4, 2023

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
I spent the weekend fussing with the Barista Express I've abused for 12 years in preparation to get into a tinkering/perfecting/logging phase and not a "syrups and flavors" phase.

The onboard grinder has gone the way of "being set to coarse for drip machine purposes", but I've picked up a jmax hand grinder to make up for its lack.

My pressure gauge is completely hosed since the needle doesn't move at all when pulling a shot. The shots seem to come out fine as ever, though, so it's definitely getting up to pressure. We'll see how my opinion holds up with some fresh roaster beans coming in this week instead of semi-fresh from the grocery store -- but right now I'm leaning towards over-extracted and guessing with enough practice I can dial in shots without the pressure gauge anyway with grind size/amount/tamp pressure.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That dimmer mod is really cool!

Starting to get the hang of it... Close to the point where my pouring technique is holding me back more than the texture I think?

https://i.imgur.com/ymsdyBr.mp4

E: oops didn't notice imgur cut me down to 1 minute. Above is texturing, below is pouring

https://i.imgur.com/1aK2i0Y.mp4

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 4, 2023

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
The long sturdy jmax handle solved all of my issues with manual grinding (previously was using a Hario mini mill)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah my 1zpresso JX is great and far superior to my LIDO 2 as well.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
If anyone cares, 1zpresso is selling the X-Pro for the US market now. I like mine well enough for what I paid to a canadian retailer, but 1z has the j-max on sale for the same/cheaper price, and I think you'd be crazy not to get that instead unless you want something smaller.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’ve been exclusively using an aeropress or a chemex for years. I’m ready to add a third brew method to shake things up. What should I try? (Not French press)

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

blue squares posted:

I’ve been exclusively using an aeropress or a chemex for years. I’m ready to add a third brew method to shake things up. What should I try? (Not French press)

How much are you willing to spend

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Phin filter. They're super cheap and iced Vietnamese coffee is amazing in the summer

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Sweeper posted:

How much are you willing to spend

I don’t need anything electronic, imo

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I find my Kalita Wave to be different enough from the Chemex that I'll regularly use both, but if you're looking for something more substantially different, I'd probably go for a moka pot. Another relatively cheap option would be to get a metal filter for your Aeropress and/or Chemex, which also changes up the process and the flavors a bit

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

blue squares posted:

I don’t need anything electronic, imo

No electronics, coming right up! (besides whatever you use to boil water, which I guess could be a campfire or something.)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

blue squares posted:

Clever dripper. I alternate between that and the aeropress.

Though I think the correct answer is probably still french press, like a really big one. It fills the gap where you might need a large volume of coffee, like, for visitors.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Join us in the robot crew.

Come on just look at this little fella

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Forgot to mention I don’t care for espresso

Maybe I should give French press another shot. I only tried it a few times early in my coffee hobby. My biggest problem was how much cleanup there was getting the grinds out, but I also felt like areopress and pour overs just had a much better flavor where I could taste the fruity notes in the Ethiopian coffees I like so much

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
v60

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
With a V60 you can experiment with wildly different filters and techniques. Plus they are super cheap.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride

blue squares posted:

Forgot to mention I don’t care for espresso

Maybe I should give French press another shot. I only tried it a few times early in my coffee hobby. My biggest problem was how much cleanup there was getting the grinds out, but I also felt like areopress and pour overs just had a much better flavor where I could taste the fruity notes in the Ethiopian coffees I like so much

I also anti-french press. It's so much more effort to not make a cup of sludge compared to anything else. I can go for espresso, because it's at least sipping size for a hearty feeling brew. But I much prefer brighter cleaner thinner cups for my day to day

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can get metal filters for the aeropress and chemex and it will taste very similar to a French Press.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Get a cevze/ibrik. Make Turkish coffee.

You'll probably need another grinder for it, though. Turkish coffee uses a finer grind than espresso.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've been enjoying my newly purchased v60, but mostly because the 5-cup size is perfect for my partner and I on days we don't want espresso. It's way easier to clean up than our 8 cup chemex and 8 cup french press, and I tend to make a mess with our Aeropress, so it's been getting a lot of use lately.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It's not fair of you to be messing this fine person around when it's clear what they need next is a bripe.

https://youtu.be/tltBHjmIUJ0

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Get a Hario Switch and you can do immersion and V60.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Corb3t posted:

I've been enjoying my newly purchased v60, but mostly because the 5-cup size is perfect for my partner and I on days we don't want espresso. It's way easier to clean up than our 8 cup chemex and 8 cup french press, and I tend to make a mess with our Aeropress, so it's been getting a lot of use lately.

I recommend these aftermarket aeropress filters - once I started using them the aeropress got a lot less messy. The stock filters are a little too small and tend to bunch up - these fit perfectly. I tried the metal filter but cleaning became a chore.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095YCTQ9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Seconding moka pot! Throw an Aeropress filter in there and it's my favorite first cup of the day for sure.

Also definitely

thotsky posted:

Get a Hario Switch and you can do immersion and V60.

amenenema fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 5, 2023

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

amenenema posted:

Moka pot! Throw an Aeropress filter in there and it's my favorite first cup of the day for sure.

Do you have any tips for easily cleaning it? I got a Moka pot and when I go through the ritual of getting everything just right I can get a good cup of coffee out of it, but cleaning it is a huge pain in the rear end, and when I threw it in the dishwasher like a rube it got all discolored (so now I think I’m banned from Italy).

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

i own every Bionicle posted:

Do you have any tips for easily cleaning it? I got a Moka pot and when I go through the ritual of getting everything just right I can get a good cup of coffee out of it, but cleaning it is a huge pain in the rear end, and when I threw it in the dishwasher like a rube it got all discolored (so now I think I’m banned from Italy).

Honestly I just wipe it out daily and deep clean with some bottle brushes like once a week. I think the paper filter definitely helps keep the upper chamber cleaner.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I picked up a moka from goodwill years ago and never used it. I suppose it’s time now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
I liked the idea of the oleato drinks from the promotions photos, like a plant based drink but creamy. I, now, cannot look away from social media because people are posting drinks with an entire layer of oil sitting on top of the ice instead of being part of the foam.