Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

mdxi posted:

I can no longer clearly remember a time when consumer-grade systems WOULD NOT run headless, it's been so long. There definitely was a time that was the case, but it's been irrelevant for so long that I've forgotten.

Definitely at least as far back as the HyperTransport days.

The asrock x670 board I just got hard defaults to IGD instead of external GPU on first boot and angrily beeped at me since it detected no displays. I had to go into BIOS to disable the BIOS compatibility option that supports IGD just to get external GPU to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

I play a lot of city building / Paradox style games. This one is already chugging a bit when the amount of agents gets large.

Would it help to prioritize the 3D v-cache cores on my 7900X3D? And if so how would I know which cores are connected the larger cache?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If Xbox Game Bar recognizes your game and you have the latest AMD chipset drivers and Windows updates installed, then you don't have to do anything; the 3D cores will automatically be prioritized.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Have not tested this yet, but it's pretty interesting looking: https://github.com/saturnsky/saturn_affinity_python

Found it on the Stellaris reddit while trying to find out what the 3.7 "improvements on some modern CPUs" update was all about.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Gyrotica posted:

Have not tested this yet, but it's pretty interesting looking: https://github.com/saturnsky/saturn_affinity_python

Found it on the Stellaris reddit while trying to find out what the 3.7 "improvements on some modern CPUs" update was all about.
Heh, this is exactly the kind of tool I predicted would be developed.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Gyrotica posted:

Really want to give this a benchmark on a 5950x, but not smart enough to know what to look for in the source that might be concerning (especially cause of the low number of downloads so far). Anyone else looked into it at all?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

Really want to give this a benchmark on a 5950x, but not smart enough to know what to look for in the source that might be concerning (especially cause of the low number of downloads so far). Anyone else looked into it at all?
I'm not a python guy, but based on the imports in the file responsible for setting CPU affinities as well as some of the logic that I think I understand, I don't think it's doing anything other than what it purports. Similarily, the file responsible for the gui looks like what I'd expect, without having any real knowledge of how it works.

You probably want more than my opinion on it, though - so I suggest you run it by the Python thread in Caverns of COBOL.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

It's fine, he's even doing things the "nice" (obvious and easy to detect) way instead of something that could be flagged as an attempt at cheating (DLL Injection/Proxying, though it seems like that is on his list of enhancements)

If you don't want to use this, you could just as easily use something like Process Lasso. That used to be really popular with Zen 1 when having "so many cores" was problematic in many titles.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Cygni posted:

I looked over it earlier, looked fine. No calls to the internet or anything. Just a GUI and some calls to win32 to get processor info

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

New Zealand can eat me posted:

It's fine, he's even doing things the "nice" (obvious and easy to detect) way instead of something that could be flagged as an attempt at cheating (DLL Injection/Proxying, though it seems like that is on his list of enhancements)

If you don't want to use this, you could just as easily use something like Process Lasso. That used to be really popular with Zen 1 when having "so many cores" was problematic in many titles.
The issues with Zen were caused by ccNUMA (I can't remember if this was because of or in addition to the L3 being split between 2x8MB instead of 16MB), not "too many cores".

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The issues with Zen were caused by ccNUMA (I can't remember if this was because of or in addition to the L3 being split between 2x8MB instead of 16MB), not "too many cores".

There were specifically games that crashed if you allowed them to run on everything after that anyways. Before they got patched the fix was to lasso them like this in the cases where you were not able to limit workers.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lamentable dustman posted:

I looked over it earlier, looked fine. No calls to the internet or anything. Just a GUI and some calls to win32 to get processor info

You rule, thank you!

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Anyone ever had a problem where your memory clock and fabric clock are the same but Ryzen Master is saying you aren't running in coupled mode? Getting lowish Cinebench scores so it may be having an effect. Running a 5950X with latest BIOS.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I don't trust a goddamn thing Ryzen Master says or does. Have you confirmed that's the case from BIOS settings?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What sacred rituals do I need to perform in order to get a 7800X3D on launch day, in Canada (Toronto)? Am I going to have to line up somewhere?

(I think the last few years of GPU non-availability have broken my brain)

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Probably just show up at a Canada Computers (or MemEx depending on which side of the city you're on) right before it opens. I feel like CPU launches aren't as wild as GPU releases, especially with the 7950X3D/7900X3D already out and the 7800X3D positioned as a 'mid-tier' CPU (even though its the correct choice)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

CBD Corndog posted:

Canada Computers
Is this like Canadian Tire

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Is this like Canadian Tire

No, its not nearly that good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CBD Corndog posted:

Probably just show up at a Canada Computers (or MemEx depending on which side of the city you're on) right before it opens. I feel like CPU launches aren't as wild as GPU releases, especially with the 7950X3D/7900X3D already out and the 7800X3D positioned as a 'mid-tier' CPU (even though its the correct choice)

OK, Im on the west side, so the Etobicoke CC is probably my best bet. I feel so alive! Im consuming!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I assume you'll be able to refresh Newegg Canada at the time of release and just order it online. That's what I plan on doing in the US.

CBD Corndog posted:

We should still expect it to sell out on the day of release and have spotty availability for a couple months afterwards. The 7950X3D still isn't in stock, and I remember the normal Zen 3 parts as well as the 5800X3D having availability issues for a couple months after their launches.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Subjunctive posted:

What sacred rituals do I need to perform in order to get a 7800X3D on launch day, in Canada (Toronto)? Am I going to have to line up somewhere?

(I think the last few years of GPU non-availability have broken my brain)

What DVG said, the 7800x3D is all but guaranteed to sell out on its release day, if not release hour. So your best bet is to either be in line at your preferred largish electronics store, or F5 Newegg. Otherwise, you might have to squat in a discord that has stock alerts for your region.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

New Zealand can eat me posted:

I don't trust a goddamn thing Ryzen Master says or does. Have you confirmed that's the case from BIOS settings?
I've confirmed that my memory clocks and fabric clocks are identical in BIOS. Not sure if there's a way to check if coupled mode is on or not though apart from checking Ryzen Master.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a ryzen 3600 and a tomahawk max motherboard and an aftermarket cooler (whatever was recommended on the forums at the time). I'm testing using just the cpu-z benchmark, and my cpu never seems to go over 3850MHz (according to ryzen master) when doing the cpu-z benchmark.

I turned elden ring on, and cpu-z says that the core frequency is around 4000, but ryzen master says it's 2900 (that's a weird discrepancy?). I can't overclock with ryzen master either, says my cpu is not supported.

CPU-Z says that my voltage is maxing out at 1.35. Since I've read that the 'safe' max limit of overclocking is putting your voltage to something around 1.4, it seems that the auto-overclocking is more or less hitting a limit of 4000 and that's basically it for my pc? I decided to look into this since the 3600 is the worst part of my computer and I wanted to make sure it was running effectively, and although I have 16gb ram, an ssd and an nvme ssd drive, and an nvidia 3080, I'm still getting insane stutter on elden ring (yes it's on the nvme), a problem 'completely solved a lot of patches ago'. My cpu is fine for most stuff but I want to see if I can get anything more out of it. In my bios I've got game boost off, a-xmp on and I've got basically everything else on stock settings (I think) or at least, all of the clock speeds etc are set to 'auto'.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Max boost clock is 4.2 so that sounds within the realm of normal. What temperatures are you seeing?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
58-60 degrees, according to ryzen master with elden ring running in a window right next to it. cpu usage seems to be about 50% according to one measure with elden ring. I suppose that means that my cpu is not the bottleneck for that game.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

When looking at the clock speed of the CPU what you're looking for is effective clock speed. That's what Ryzen Master is reporting and the reason for the discrepancy. Clock speed is basically just showing what your max clocks could be while effective clock speed is showing moment to moment changes. HWInfo64 will show both clock speed and effective clock speed. I also have a 3600 and it will only boost to a little over 3.9GHz all core unless I manually OC it to 4.2GHz.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

redreader posted:

I have a ryzen 3600 and a tomahawk max motherboard and an aftermarket cooler (whatever was recommended on the forums at the time). I'm testing using just the cpu-z benchmark, and my cpu never seems to go over 3850MHz (according to ryzen master) when doing the cpu-z benchmark.

I turned elden ring on, and cpu-z says that the core frequency is around 4000, but ryzen master says it's 2900 (that's a weird discrepancy?). I can't overclock with ryzen master either, says my cpu is not supported.

How high a CPU will boost also varies by workload, and with a finer distinction than just number of cores loaded. In a single thread test I get 4.4 Ghz with stress versus middle and low 4.3 in the 2 CPU-heavy prime tests.

OTOH it's weird that ryzen master is reporting apparently bad numbers and says your CPU is unsupported. I might try reinstalling it. For the longest time ryzen master totally didn't work for me, though it just died with an error box at launch.

redreader posted:

CPU-Z says that my voltage is maxing out at 1.35. Since I've read that the 'safe' max limit of overclocking is putting your voltage to something around 1.4, it seems that the auto-overclocking is more or less hitting a limit of 4000 and that's basically it for my pc? I decided to look into this since the 3600 is the worst part of my computer and I wanted to make sure it was running effectively

:actually: Extra voltage tends to be counterproductive, for anything but manual fixed-speed OC with water or exotic cooling. (IE a thing that's super wasteful and kinda dumb for a normal use-everyday machine.) Instead what you want to do is try to use less volts, which gives you more thermal headroom and hopefully gets more from the internal PBO (generally better at OCing than you).

Ryzen 5000 and up have cool PBO2 stuff to optimize voltage curves, but with a 3000 you can still do a negative voltage offset if your BIOS supports it. -0.05v is generally fine but minimal effect, if you can get to -0.15v it's worth several % points but that's where you start needing to be lucky with your CPU.

redreader posted:

I'm still getting insane stutter on elden ring (yes it's on the nvme), a problem 'completely solved a lot of patches ago'.

This is probably not strictly your CPU, unless it's some bad setting like memory & IF clocks are not synched. And not something I'd try to OC to fix. I'd be looking at various things like the OS, video card drivers (try a DDU sweep), etc first.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Im not specifically familiar with elden ring but it wouldnt surprise me if its partly NUCA scheduling weirdness.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

fuckpot posted:

I've confirmed that my memory clocks and fabric clocks are identical in BIOS. Not sure if there's a way to check if coupled mode is on or not though apart from checking Ryzen Master.

If UCLK == MEMCLK then you are running in coupled mode. If ZenTimings is giving you matching values then you're good.

I specifically said I do not trust a goddamn thing Ryzen Master says or does because it loves to misreport this, and other things, sending people on silly goose hunts. I love the idea of the software but it is simply incompatible with what ended up happening to AM4. Specifically around tricks some boards employ that involve setting PPT/EDC/etc values to 0, negative, or absurd values to sidestep thermal/power limits. AMD knows these exist and are in use but neither Ryzen Master or Adrenaline bothers to anticipate it, resulting in a lot of useless graphs (unless you were trying to confirm you enabled this correctly)

Quadruple Edit: The only bios setting I could imagine causing Ryzen Master to misreport this might be spread spectrum, which you generally want to disable if you're overclocking for the sake of stability.

Cannot speak to why it's so spotty and problematic. I'm sure part of it has to do with fast boot, no idea what's going on the rest of the time. But I go so far as to say any system that has had it installed is tainted and you should pave it with a fresh version of windows the moment you start getting weird performance or stability issues. It only takes 10-15 minutes if you already have your drivers downloaded. (Generally people who have built their own systems and are asking me for help have also followed other outdated advice and are using custom power plans etc which are completely unnecessary)

:haw: Clearly this chart is telling me I could feed 1kW to my 3950X as it's nowhere near its max power limit

:negative: I walked into that

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 30, 2023

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

A true Ryzen Master could feed it 1kW

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Subjunctive posted:

OK, Im on the west side, so the Etobicoke CC is probably my best bet. I feel so alive! Im consuming!

ooh i also may be there, we can make a lineup of two, make it feel like an actual event

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm a masochist so I keep installing beta drivers for my AM5 desktop. This one is actually pretty solid, it fixed the issue I've had where the machine would not boot if the ram got finicky without clearing the cmos manually. Now it reverts to default if craps up.

It does not like manually tuning the memory but setting expo runs it just fine. So I'm just gotta do that and not worry about anything. Havent had stability issues with this one

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ChickenWing posted:

ooh i also may be there, we can make a lineup of two, make it feel like an actual event

I just blocked off my morning, will try to get there for 8. PM me if you want to connect, I'm planning to bring lawnchair and Steam Deck like a real capital-N nerd.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Mendocino trip report:

... I'm not exactly looking to run Cyberpunk on this thing (though I could try!) but just for The Science

I was able to squeeze out 31 average FPS from the Cyberpunk benchmark by dropping everything to low, setting the base resolution to 720p, and setting FSR 2 to Ultra Performance. It looks uglier than even the PS4 version but it does run !

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Not finding a lot of Mendocino systems with 16 GB of LPDDR5 (or any, really), even though that's pretty much nothing but a hail mary at getting games with massive textures to run at that performance level. I'm not sure how many ranks of LPDDR5 you can have.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm not sure if anyone posted this earlier, but LTT finally released their 7950X3D review after a month of troubleshooting and apparently it does NOT outperform the 7950X. They do think the 7800X3D might be worth waiting for though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYf2ykaUlvc

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Oh thats why the hardware unboxed guys had to come up AGAIN and say why they run at 1080p and how people completely miss the point of the tests

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

youtube decided to recommend a MLID video while i was in a vulnerable state (bored), so heres the big primary slide from his Zen 5 "full leak" vid:

he claims AMD produced both a 4nm and 3nm mask for Zen 5 as a hedge against TSMC 3nm delays, which honestly seems smart if its true. accordingly, AMD is going to launch Zen 5 on 4nm first, with a 3nm refresh potentially coming later (depending on Intels competitiveness).

he claims it will continue to be 16c/32t all big core (except mobile, which will go to big/littile), and repeats the rumors weve heard for a long time about Zen 5 being the first "ground up" redesign since Zen 1 with IPC up 15-26%.

as always, its MLID, so give it relatively low weight until we hear more.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Cygni posted:

Zen 5 being the first "ground up" redesign since Zen 1 with IPC up 15-26%.

Well that's a super safe thing to say, because (1) I don't think there's been a Zen generation with less than 13% uplift, excepting Zen+ which was literally just Zen1 respun on 12nm, and (2) that's a stupid huge error bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Yeah a lot of those points are the sort of plausible guesses anyone could make based on what we already know. He's hedged his bets with the more speculative bits like the higher core count chiplets, so those claims aren't deserving of much credit either.

It seems like if AMD were really going to release Turin dense on 3nm sometime after the initial launch, they'd just call it Zen 6 rather than a refresh. Considering Intel's strategy is to release 5 gens in 4 years, it would be no harm for AMD to increase their cadence too.