Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

cursedshitbox posted:

Goons gotta eat much to the detriment of my ever shrinking pants. We knew from the beginning that we wanted to cook. And to cook well. Learning from the lack of kitchen the Gillig had and the cramped galley the GM bus had, this one is significantly better to cook with. For the next generation I'd make changes still, but I'd definitely keep an oven around. Being able to prepare a meal from raw basic ingredient doesn't just extend our run times in the wilderness, it's also healthier.

I know with The Bean it has a very capable galley for its footprint. maybe should do a recipes for glamping thread at some point?

Definitely keen to see some recipes!

Have you got an Instant Pot or something similar? I swear by my fairly basic model. I can have an exceptional risotto ready ~20 minutes, of which ~5 minutes is active time. Stews, soups, homemade stock are obviously areas where it excels, but also being able to use dried beans with no soaking time. I imagine you can carry a lot more dried goods than canned, and as a bonus it cuts down on rubbish.

I believe some of the fancier models have a sous vide capability as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

slothrop posted:

Definitely keen to see some recipes!

Have you got an Instant Pot or something similar? I swear by my fairly basic model. I can have an exceptional risotto ready ~20 minutes, of which ~5 minutes is active time. Stews, soups, homemade stock are obviously areas where it excels, but also being able to use dried beans with no soaking time. I imagine you can carry a lot more dried goods than canned, and as a bonus it cuts down on rubbish.

I believe some of the fancier models have a sous vide capability as well.

Definitely seconding the recipes.

Now I'm dreaming of how to safely rig up a nuclear TEG Air fryer.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I do have an instant pot, I'll be making stew with it in a few hours. and a chili-mac kind of dish in a day or two.

An Air Fryer would be a pro get. Maybe once I get a trailer. I'm running out of appliance space. There's a topper for the instant pot but some say its not as good?
There's also a sous vide cooker on board.

I'll put together an effort post first of spices and such that I stock onboard. There's uhhh 40ish spices alone and six ish different kinds of oil.

Some recipes i'll yoink from the books. Others are online. Others are made up entirely. But uh I'm far from my mother with 1100 different ways to prepare eggplant or squash.

I'll maybe xpost to the TGO camping cuisine thread.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

And I now dread that carvana sells you a loving travesty with massive power train issues because they were buying cars solely on bluebook value and never doing any inspections in things. Made worse because it's a jeep and I'm expecting Chrysler level competence where the engine falls out when you close the hood.

Selling my last car to them was great. Buying, was uh, well it's a jeep thing. we've put just under 10,000 miles on the jeep already, it's a great little errand shitbox

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So what year did the v6 in the JKs stop being garbage exactly? Are they relatively dependable now?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

cursedshitbox posted:

1100 different ways to prepare eggplant or squash.

Oh man, eggplant is the real treasure of Middle Eastern/North African/Mediterranean cuisine, I could eat myself into a coma on it fried or in a moussaka or as baba ganoush or endless other ways :yum:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
3.8 EGHs are garbo 150hp turds from 1988 and belong in 1988.

3.6 pentastars had a ton of teething issues in the 2011-2014s. The later engines are supposed to be fixed. (they're not fixed) There's a class action lawsuit for the early engines.
with 2016 the pentastar is redesigned with vvt/variable lift + egr/egr cooler. afaik they still eat oil coolers, cam followers, and heads. maybe '17 JKs got em. I'm not sure.

The oil coolers are made of plastic. The filter housing is integral to the cooler housing. It's under the lower intake. You see where this goes. Dorman makes a fix made of metal. It's a couple hundo for the part and around 3 hours to swap.
The oil pump is a twin stage pcm controlled system. The changeover tends to stick resulting in low or high oilpressure. Pretty sure this one is sorted in the later models.
The cam followers only on the left bank wear aggressively. It'll eat the cams and eventually the head if unchecked. If allowed to go that far the rest of the lubricating system is likely contaminated with swarf. A loaded head is around $1200 and six-eight hours of labor.

The new jeep has 46,000 miles. It's a '16 JKU hard cock rock edition rubicon. It gets the usual rubicon poo poo, deep reduction t-case, lockers, disconnectable sways, a 40gb navigation unit from 2006, switchgear from 2005, a 6 speed mercedes bus box. Bonus Hard Rock poo poo is metal rock sliders, 4.10 gears, metal front and rear bumpers, red lettering around the rubicon badge, stitching on the seats, and special wheels with little red jeeps on them. It's so this white boring jeep stands out in a parkinglot of other boring white jeeps. This specific one has a shiddybilt winch installed. Outside of mudflaps and floormats this jeep is bone rear end stock right down to the original headlight bulbs.

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh man, eggplant is the real treasure of Middle Eastern/North African/Mediterranean cuisine, I could eat myself into a coma on it fried or in a moussaka or as baba ganoush or endless other ways :yum:

:same: As I've gotten older I realize I took mom's cooking for granted. It's an uphill struggle to learn what is lost. Eggplant is both hard and not hard to prepare. He's come around on it. When it's done wrong it is a w f u l.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

cursedshitbox posted:

There's a topper for the instant pot but some say its not as good?

You would need to use the trivet to allow ANY circulation around the bottom. And yeah, it's just not great. It does work, but it takes a lot longer (and thus more energy) than a proper air fryer. If you're hooked up to shore power, that's fine, but I wouldn't want to use the IP air fryer lid on solar or battery.

cursedshitbox posted:

As I've gotten older I realize I took mom's cooking for granted. It's an uphill struggle to learn what is lost. Eggplant is both hard and not hard to prepare. He's come around on it. When it's done wrong it is a w f u l.

Eggplant is a bitch to cook right, and you have to pull it out of the cooking appliance (oven, air fryer, whatever) at the exact right moment - otherwise it's either mush or hard. I've never had good eggplant from anywhere except from Capisis. You could say they have... a following (Jack Ruby ate there....). And even then, even at Campisis, it was often overcooked.

OTOH, my mom is finally starting to give me her recipes, and I'm looking at them and going "what the gently caress mom, you could have made so much of this in 15 minutes instead of 2 hours if you had an instan... oh, that didn't exist back then, but you sure as hell had traditional pressure cookers!". There's also SO much stuff in my mother's, grandmother's, great grandmother's, etc recipes that can be replaced by canned stuff. Chiles in adobo, for example - no need to make adobo from scratch, and the chiles in adobo sauce are just roasted jalapenos. OKAY FINE they're all rolling in their graves from me mentioning "cans", but (a) I'm not making adobo from scratch (I'll make mole though) and (b) I'm not setting off the building fire alarm from roasting a few jalapenos. A can of "chiles in adobo sauce" is 2-3 fire roasted jalapenos in adobo sauce, damnit. Also roasted green chiles - something that's in a can, on the shelf, of every grocery store between Texas and California. I agree that nothing beats fresh roasted green chiles, but I don't live down the road from Hatch NM anymore (and haven't for 25 years) - IF and WHEN you can get fresh Hatch chiles here, it's like a week or two. Otherwise you're stuck with canned chiles.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
I'd hope they'd be proud of you for cooking for yourself and keeping their recipes alive, they'll have adapted then for what was available when they were starting out too.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

cursedshitbox posted:

??? I've seen this a few times now. I am unsure what it is.

Non-practicing geologist here.
With the caveat that it can be pretty difficult to ID something from a couple photos alone, it kinda looks like a chunk of mud crack. You know, silty, clayey stuff gets wet, dries, contracts as it dries.

Could be a good guess or a bad one depending on where you found it and where you found the other bits that look like it, but as you know mines can get wet, and things can get slick. Then they dry. It could also be a number of other things.

Also posting to ask for more rock photos. I like rocks.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Also posting to ask for more rock photos. I like rocks.

Soon

Thinking on it for a couple of days. I'm gonna do a post here or wherever if anyone suggests. One with the ingredients I stock and use the most, and another a list of recipes in regular rotation. I've been wanting to set up an A-B-C style meal plan anyway. where it's A for one week, B for week two, then C to break the cyclical repetition of A and B. Ofc with seasonal ingredients and the like.

The clouds are starting to roll in.

He jokes that he suckered me into marrying him because he gave me a piece of cheese.

He's probably not wrong.

Forearm sized burrito.

Snerrrrr. It starts to fall. Then kinda doesn't stop. Far in the distance from the rail museum I can hear a steam whistle. It is however far enough out of range that I can't hike or bike to it. If only I had a second ride.

I'll have to come back for Ely's rail museum.

One of the things this camper's original literature goes on about is its snow camping abilities. Snow camping is usually cold, soggy, and fun in its own way. I've wanted to do some proper snow camping since we built the vehicle back in 2020. The old engine was entirely too cold natured to ever try such a thing.

The pileup helps insulate the coach. It stays surprisingly warm inside running only the 1500W electric heater.

View from the bunk window.

We both were quite impressed by how the rv handles the cold. The truck too for the matter. I didn't bother to treat its tanks. Nothing on the vehicle froze or threw a temp alarm. We were quite comfortable. I'd do it again. Many more times. For someone that doesn't like the cold, uhhhh. Help.

Time to roll out, which means climbing on the roof and knocking the snow off.

Cold start. No block heater.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izhaqeGZ2uw

Roads aren't super slick but they're a little greasy at altitude. Saw an early Tacoma taco'd in a ditch with a uhaul in tow with a full yardsale experience.

Did get some chatter from the lsd and a little slip here and there but no need for 4wd.

External shower hatch flipped open from crosswinds/truckers going by. Pulled off here to button that back up.

The alternator's regulator is acting up. Probable groundloop for its Voltage reference circuit. Voltage gauge is sitting more than 3/4 the way over. 15? 16? Volts. Nothing but me seems to care. I'll look at it later.
It does this with exposure to high humidity. Old truck things. Hardly a problem to work on right now.

Jetting hard and fast through Las Wages. Stopped in to pick up some newer power friendly work laptops.
Start the slow climb up mountain pass then turn off. We're not climbing this today.
The next layover is Mojave National preserve. Arrive long after dusk. Set up camp in the cold windy night. Little over 300 miles of driving. For a travel day it was nearly as smooth as it gets in the last three years of bouncing around the country.

Looking towards the mountain, things to go look at.

Two weeks till the jeep is picked up.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sorry it's been a week. Mostly one in which I actually get some things done.

Alright. Why this camper weighs three bloody tons. I am a goon and I like food. The acres of material that go into my clothing are a testament to such. This post is about what goes into the food.

The Spice Must Flow

The staples: Garlic powder (nominally fine, not the super fine). I buy this by the big jug.

Two kinds of salt. Fine and coarse. Fine is used in baking. Coarse, cooking. Same with black pepper. I stock the seed.
Salt is pretty much never used in cooking unless it calls for it. Sourdough projects use it pretty regularly.

Herbs I generally stock fresh herbs. They last ~2 weeks. When I can't or stock fresh herbs, I have a backstock of dried. Cilantro tastes like soap to him so it does not get used. I do like it however.

Dried

quote:

Majoram, Thyme, Oregano, Basil, Tarragon, Coriander, Herbs from Provence, Dill.

Fresh

quote:

Most everything on the dried list and Rosemary, Parsley, Italian Parsley, Basil, Oregano, Chives.

Cultural These are spices involved in specific cultural dishes. There'll be further overlap in the seeds section. Za'atar and Souvlaki seasoning is really easy to make from other parts of this list. They both make great kebabs.

quote:

Garam Masala, Curry powder, Za'atar, Souvlaki, Tumeric
Ground Cumin, Harissa, Sumac, Aleppo pepper, Urfa Biber, Asafetida

Seeds Cumin seed is great pan toasted in most recipes. Ajwain and Kashimiri are key for authentic Indian dishes.

quote:

Sesame, Caraway, Nutmeg, Mustard, Cumin, Black Cumin, Fennel, Ajwain. Kashimiri Chili( dried, whole)

General Spices

quote:

Sage, Allspice, Smoked Paprika, Chili Powder, Ancho Chili, Cayenne, Crushed Red Pepper, Cinnamon, Onion Powder, Bay leaves.

Specific spice blends

quote:

Montreal Steak, Weber's Kickin' Chicken, Weber's Chicago Steak, Kinder's Tequilla Lime.

Non Spices

quote:

Thai Kitchen Red and Green Curry Paste. These are pretty common and they work in alternate dishes.
Laoganma Chili sauce (angry lady sauce). There's numerous products. Play with various ones. I usually grab whatever is on the shelf locally.
Mina Harissa (I use a lot of this)
Pepper Pate (I use a ton of this too)

Oiligarchy

quote:

Olive oil (generic, cooking, staple, I buy it by the liter), Avacado (high heat smoke point, good for crisping), Queen Creek Infused Olive OIl lemon and Orange (Thanks IoC!), Sunflower, Sesame, Vegetable, Canola.
Blood Orange Habanero olive oil, Mongolian Fire Oil.
Ghee. Seriously, Stock it. It's impossible to disaghee.

Where's the Sauuuuce?

quote:

Fish Oil sauce, Coconut Aminos, Soy Sauce, Chef Troy's Crunchy Garlic Chili Sauce(it's similar to angry lady sauce), Mole, Tahini.

Hot Sauces, Marinades I change it up a lot here. They probably occupy a little too much space and there's always something new. There's some regulars however.

quote:

El Yucateco Sauce. Delicious in all forms.
Pepper Plant
Chile De Arbol (Their sauces are delicious)
Secret Ardvark starter kit
Secret Aardvark DD size Habanero
Wasabi, horseradish

Staples

quote:

King Arthur's All purpose Flour, Their Wheat Flour, Bread flour, Corn Meal. A bag of each stored in airtight sealed containers.
ne UP-cultured sourdough starter.
Bulghur, Quinoa, Pearled Barley, Farro, Oats, Oat Acccessories(granola).
Baking powder, Baking soda, Corn Starch.
Lentils, Kidney beans, Black beans, Pinto beans
Jasmine rice, Brown rice.

Tree Nuts

quote:

Cashews, Pecans, Walnuts, Pine.

Ok so this is a large wall of text with not a lot of detail behind it. I mostly work with Mediterranean, Indian, Asian, and Western cuisines. I don't work with seafood or most pork. He works with Seafood however.
Say for a breakfast burrito comprised of my three-hour-potato-project + bell peppers, jalapenos, onions, mushroom, garlic cloves, and some kind of protein. (Typically plant based because it lasts a lot longer than meat.)
Fresh herbs if they're onboard. Rosemary especially.
toasted cumin seeds. A m u s t.
Most of the smokey spices go in. Urfa Biber, aleppo, sumac, smoked paprika, ancho chili.
Garlic powder, black pepper(coarse), harissa sauce and the pate. A mix of whatever hot sauce or oil I'm feeling that morning.
I'll probably do a writeup for this on my next batch.

I'm a huge fan of caremelizing onions with a little oil and tumeric. Do not be heavy handed with the asafetida, when the recipe says a pinch, it's not kidding. Coconut Aminos make a big difference in Indian dishes. Starting with the Mediterranean region can be done through most of the herbs, cumin, and harissa.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
This area is known as Esperanza Mine. Its not far off of I15, I've driven by it a thousand times in years past but never actually came here.

It is complete with a garage and cabin. Usually these are ransacked and anything of value taken. This one, surprisingly intact.

The garage.

It's pretty clear that there's some caretaker that visits on occasion. The 55 gallon drum gone furnace may fire with a little help. Not much in the way of tools around however.

Ugh, someone left the lid up.

Back side of the cabin. Complete with glass that hasn't been used for target practice.

Inside it looks lived in.

This place is legit nicer than some pads I've rented in cities with its fancy kitchen.

Turning to the hall. This place was built as one room then added to over the years of its use.

Another furnace, in better shape.

Alright enough clownin' around let's hike over to the mines and look at some r o c k s.

Lower tailings pile and the adit near it.

Up above is a shaft cut into the mountain following the dip. It's unstable, I wouldn't enter this one if it were an option.

Looking up from the rock is a view of the cabin and the valley.

Since I don't own a car with a muffler the drat things are growing free range now.

And sunset. Hike tomorrow to the main digs.

Almost there.

Looking up over the headstock, interesting striations.

Probably the ordinance shed.

It's inaccessible because of erosion and well, this. They're always empty anyway.

NPS has blocked off access for our own good to the shafts in the area.

With daylight waning it's time to head for home. It's a bit of a hike back.

The vehicle is next to the little mound centered in the distance casting the shadows.

Fossil of some sort?

bbbburritos.

The prospects down in the flats are nowhere near as interesting. Not deep or have caved in.

Later in the evening, a SpaceX launch out of Vandenberg is visible from the middle of nowhere.

The juxstaposition of a 60 year old water tank to a rocket sending up cubesats so that it's possible to shitpost.

From here it's on to Big Bear, CA.

A Volvo wagon in the best color.

Taking highway 18 in. Steep with switchbacks. First gear is too tall don't bring 5th wheels back here steep. I traveled this road often years ago. Johnson Valley is in its backyard and that was my playground for years. As I near the Serrano Campground there's new noises coming from the truck. Like that of a loose fanbelt. But not during conditions that would indicate a slipping belt. 2nd gear and going from no power into the drivetrain to decel over 2000rpm there's a screech noise like that of a belt slipping. The belts are a little over a year old. Maybe it's that. It's never done this before though.
There's also snow in the forecast.
One week to jeeping.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

cursedshitbox posted:

Fossil of some sort?

R O C K S
O
C
K
S

Love it. Always wondered what was out that way off the 15.
I am not a fossils guy (I’m very mildly a “did this rock come from space?” guy*), but multiple fossil ladies almost got me kicked/flunked out of school a few times, so I feel mildly qualified to say probably not? Probably some growths of calcite/barite/gypsum from when that rock was still kind of attached to another rock and what you’re looking at was a crack at the time?

Pro tip, lick your rock (unless it’s red. Then maybe don’t. Could be arsenic. Usually it’s not. Or dull metallic. Could be lead. Usually it’s not.) If the rock sticks to your tongue, like more than a normal rock (always lick a control sample too. Also from the ground), then it might be a fossil!

It’s never from space.
Except sometimes. Geology is fun.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

He's probably not wrong.

Forearm sized burrito.

This is both the correct size of burrito and the correct ratio of cheese:house.

cursedshitbox posted:

This area is known as Esperanza Mine. Its not far off of I15, I've driven by it a thousand times in years past but never actually came here.

It is complete with a garage and cabin. Usually these are ransacked and anything of value taken. This one, surprisingly intact.

The garage.

It's pretty clear that there's some caretaker that visits on occasion. The 55 gallon drum gone furnace may fire with a little help. Not much in the way of tools around however.

Ugh, someone left the lid up.

Back side of the cabin. Complete with glass that hasn't been used for target practice.

Inside it looks lived in.

This place is legit nicer than some pads I've rented in cities with its fancy kitchen.

Turning to the hall. This place was built as one room then added to over the years of its use.

Another furnace, in better shape.

Alright enough clownin' around let's hike over to the mines and look at some r o c k s.

Lower tailings pile and the adit near it.

Up above is a shaft cut into the mountain following the dip. It's unstable, I wouldn't enter this one if it were an option.

Looking up from the rock is a view of the cabin and the valley.

Since I don't own a car with a muffler the drat things are growing free range now.

And sunset. Hike tomorrow to the main digs.

Almost there.

Looking up over the headstock, interesting striations.

Probably the ordinance shed.

It's inaccessible because of erosion and well, this. They're always empty anyway.

NPS has blocked off access for our own good to the shafts in the area.

With daylight waning it's time to head for home. It's a bit of a hike back.

The vehicle is next to the little mound centered in the distance casting the shadows.

Fossil of some sort?

bbbburritos.

The prospects down in the flats are nowhere near as interesting. Not deep or have caved in.

Later in the evening, a SpaceX launch out of Vandenberg is visible from the middle of nowhere.

The juxstaposition of a 60 year old water tank to a rocket sending up cubesats so that it's possible to shitpost.

From here it's on to Big Bear, CA.

A Volvo wagon in the best color.

Taking highway 18 in. Steep with switchbacks. First gear is too tall don't bring 5th wheels back here steep. I traveled this road often years ago. Johnson Valley is in its backyard and that was my playground for years. As I near the Serrano Campground there's new noises coming from the truck. Like that of a loose fanbelt. But not during conditions that would indicate a slipping belt. 2nd gear and going from no power into the drivetrain to decel over 2000rpm there's a screech noise like that of a belt slipping. The belts are a little over a year old. Maybe it's that. It's never done this before though.
There's also snow in the forecast.
One week to jeeping.

So do you think someone actually lives in that house from time to time? It doesn't look very abandoned (and yet also looks completely abandoned but I can't tell if that's just stuff left in the desert for a couple months look or not).

I'm sure it'll be fine if you just replace the slipping belt.

cursedshitbox posted:

Sorry it's been a week. Mostly one in which I actually get some things done.

Alright. Why this camper weighs three bloody tons. I am a goon and I like food. The acres of material that go into my clothing are a testament to such. This post is about what goes into the food.

The Spice Must Flow

The staples: Garlic powder (nominally fine, not the super fine). I buy this by the big jug.

Two kinds of salt. Fine and coarse. Fine is used in baking. Coarse, cooking. Same with black pepper. I stock the seed.
Salt is pretty much never used in cooking unless it calls for it. Sourdough projects use it pretty regularly.

Herbs I generally stock fresh herbs. They last ~2 weeks. When I can't or stock fresh herbs, I have a backstock of dried. Cilantro tastes like soap to him so it does not get used. I do like it however.

Dried

Fresh

Cultural These are spices involved in specific cultural dishes. There'll be further overlap in the seeds section. Za'atar and Souvlaki seasoning is really easy to make from other parts of this list. They both make great kebabs.

Seeds Cumin seed is great pan toasted in most recipes. Ajwain and Kashimiri are key for authentic Indian dishes.

General Spices

Specific spice blends

Non Spices

Oiligarchy

Where's the Sauuuuce?

Hot Sauces, Marinades I change it up a lot here. They probably occupy a little too much space and there's always something new. There's some regulars however.

Staples

Tree Nuts

Ok so this is a large wall of text with not a lot of detail behind it. I mostly work with Mediterranean, Indian, Asian, and Western cuisines. I don't work with seafood or most pork. He works with Seafood however.
Say for a breakfast burrito comprised of my three-hour-potato-project + bell peppers, jalapenos, onions, mushroom, garlic cloves, and some kind of protein. (Typically plant based because it lasts a lot longer than meat.)
Fresh herbs if they're onboard. Rosemary especially.
toasted cumin seeds. A m u s t.
Most of the smokey spices go in. Urfa Biber, aleppo, sumac, smoked paprika, ancho chili.
Garlic powder, black pepper(coarse), harissa sauce and the pate. A mix of whatever hot sauce or oil I'm feeling that morning.
I'll probably do a writeup for this on my next batch.

I'm a huge fan of caremelizing onions with a little oil and tumeric. Do not be heavy handed with the asafetida, when the recipe says a pinch, it's not kidding. Coconut Aminos make a big difference in Indian dishes. Starting with the Mediterranean region can be done through most of the herbs, cumin, and harissa.

:hellyeah:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Mojave national park service maintains the remaining cabins(like rock spring cabin) and installations that they're aware of (such as the Fort Piute). It's pretty cool actually.

Big Bear is a southern California winter boarder's getaway. It's not as popular as it was in decades past. This area is rich with mining history and recreational hobbies. Snow sports in the winter. Every outdoor hobby imaginable while the rest of SoCal is baking in triple digit heat.

There's even an observatory.

There's a lake or two.

Wildlife of all kinds. It wasn't interested in sharing its wisdom.

There's a ton of mtbing to do around here.
Out comes the beater for yet another tune up. The bear boxes are serious business. It took me 45 minutes to get the thing open.

Turns out the gorbage was emanating from the shack though.

With more to come.

The trails. Right. Rocks. Steep grades. More rocks. Babyheads. Switchbacks. Narrow drops. All epic stuff. Reminds me of the times here with the Rovers a decade ago. Maybe today I won't launch a spring into low orbit after snapping a shock shaft.

Ding! Sourdough's done. Timing is everything when doing biscuits.

I hike a bike'd here. But so did the pack of middle aged dudes on full squish bikes with seat droppers.

On the way back down I cracked the saddle coming down on it pretty hard from landing a jump poorly.
Right around that same time I nearly endo it trying to not crash into instafluencers that don't understand to commit when picking a direction to dive for.

Hiking over to bigbear to get out of the portable cabin.

Yeah, that's snow inbound. This photo is ehhhh 4 miles from the camper.

This is a volvo I legit want.

It started to snow. Cue public transit to the 4 mi point, and hiking home in the snowy night.

Which. the campground turned the water off to everybody. And the pump is doing what the pump does.

One thing I haven't subjected this bike to is snow. I mean, flurries, sure. but not snow.

Oh? What's this?

Nah. Time to gtfo.

Then roll back home after sliding out but not eating it. The bike is sufficiently dirty for today.

And around that time I catch my neighbor trying to jump his truck using one of the little lithium jobbies and it's not up to the task.
Me with the new engine and hot batteries, offered a jump. pull up the jacks, drive the whole thing over. 3 minutes, tops.

Made pretty quick work of it. He went straight to the parts house.

He was much annoyed to find out that batteries cost $500 a set now and that his 2019 already needed batteries.
To my surprise, he brought us lunch.

(Idk about this photo, imgur is being dumb)

Getting raunchy with my lovely broken $9 amazon coffee grinder.

Gingerly leaving Big Bear. Running 2nd/3rd down the hill, consistent 'belt noises'. Whatever they felt tight enough though they are a little old.
Bonus. How can it overcharge and have a slipping belt. That's every bit of 15V. Sometimes overshooting to 15.1ish Volts.

I needed to pee. Luckily there's a bathroom around the corner.

Vending machine Jeep immanent.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hoping my "heat shield noises" aren't like your "belt noises" at this point :ohdear:

Still can't believe the number of activities you pack into such a small living space either.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I've only been up to Big Bear once at height of pandemic. Hiking was nice around there, the grocery store was jam loving packed and so were the easier hiking trails. Also full of "overlanders" camping off the NF roads up there.

I really want to do Dirty Bear up there some time.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Don’t go to the vons. Locals go to the stater bros. Sure it’s still a little busy, but hooooo boy that vons is crazy.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Hoping my "heat shield noises" aren't like your "belt noises" at this point :ohdear:

Still can't believe the number of activities you pack into such a small living space either.

Yeah let's loving hope not.
I wanna cram more hobbies onboard but it may be into bigger truck and trailer territory for that. I don't even have an oscilloscope onboard. I haven't had a kayak since I left vegas in 2014. Ugh.
At this rate I am become pasty flabby software bro.

luminalflux posted:

I really want to do Dirty Bear up there some time.

Yeah this rules.
We should do this once you're recovered from sciatica

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Don’t go to the vons. Locals go to the stater bros. Sure it’s still a little busy, but hooooo boy that vons is crazy.

lolol the vons has been batty forever.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6NheBQgHVY&t=180s

I'm interested to know what you have to say around this?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
The emergency hatches? Oh they work. There's usually a microswitch involved to notify the driver. (maybe i'm missing your question?)

It looks to be a pretty standard All American. Probably ISB or ISC power.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Burrito

This is more or less a recipe I've globbed onto for several years. It's a burrito, they're hard to get wrong outside of mushy vegetables. When I set out in 2020 in this thing I started with inspiration from The California Burrito and a mix of breakfast burritos to create something that not just warmed up the rv, but also built a "rib-sticking" meal that's excellent for travel days or long bike rides.

The California Burrito (technically it's a San Diego burrito but whatever) Is laden with fries, sometimes guac.
The typical breakfast burrito comes laden with some other style of potate. Be it hasbhrowns, chunks, home fries, etc.

There's literally a thousand variations of this recipe. Rice? sure. Steamed yet crispy spinach*? works great, random leftovers? absolutely.

* This sounds terrible but it actually works well. Wash and pat the spinach dry. When rolling the burrito lay the spinach in with the filler. Grill the burrito.

This is a recipe for today's burrito mix with what I had on hand.

Ingredients:
4-5 small/medium potatoes. Red, russett, white, whatever.
1/2 Onion. Red or white. Dice into bit size chunks.
1-2 shallots, optional.
1 bell pepper, color of your picking. Dice into bite size chunks.
2-4 Jalapenos, serranos, etc. Cut like coins if you want heat. cut into 4 quadrants then dice and remove the seeds if not.
half to 2/3 of a clove of garlic, cut small.
Mushrooms, optional.
Protein of some kind. (anything from bean to tofu to beef and everything in-between)

Herbs/spices:
Rosemary, Oregano, Basil, Oregano, Thyme.
lots of garlic powder. No, More.
Sumac, Cumin and cumin seed, Tumeric (used on the onions ofc), Urfa Biber, chili powder/ancho chili.
The pepper pate, harissa paste, and angry lady sauce.

I don't measure anything precise for herbs or spices. A tablespoon or so of the pastes is as close as I get.
If you like it, go heavy, if not, go light.

Start with the potate. here.
How many? The Yield of this recipe is good for 4-5 days worth of small burritos for two people. Half that or less for the big tortillas.
For the longest time I just pan toasted my potate country sytle. It works well and is a hell of a lot faster however this project of a meal comes out sublime with this recipe.
This method also generates more water waste in the form of dishes/water consumption. Tradeoff is that it's a few days worth of meals.

Blanche >> drain >> bake at 450+ till the steam is gone and they're drying up >> heat a pan, hot, with oil. Out of the oven, into the pan. Crisp them. Burn em slightly. That leaves the interiors soft and just the perfect amount of crispy crunchy on the outside.

During blanching I use seasalt and throw garlic powder in. Once they go into the oven, throw some chopped rosemary in with it. Dust with more garlic powder.
(I didn't use rosemary today, this was built from a bulk batch of potate that was then frozen for later)

Once crisped, dump them into a bowl for later. (or the same pot you boiled them in)
Getting there:

Set heat to medium.
Saute' the Onions, garlic, rosemary, and shallots. 5-15 minutes.

Add spices and various pastes. Protein goes in now. (Prepare meat based protein to acceptable done-ness elsewhere, same with tofu. Soyrizo, meatless crumbles, or the like? throw er' in)

Cook down but still crunchy. Throw the peppers in.

A few later, throw the mushroom in. Mix well.

Then finally, throw the potate back in.

Try to avoid stirring the heck out of the mixture. It will further break down the potate. Cook on low heat for 5-10 minutes.
This is "nearly ready"

Steam the tortillas by throwing them over the simmering pan. Rotate every minute or two till soft. I use the 'taco' sized tortillas for portion control. The big burrito sized tortillas build forearm sized gorillas that will fuel a human for a day. They're used sparingly for when things start going sideways. Two up taco sized will work just as well.

Build it, wreck it, do it again. Throw whatever toppings you want in there with it. I love using feta. Today, was not that day. Sour Cream and some kind of hot sauce (El Yucateco Chile Habanero today)

Optionally: Wrap the burrito. Place fold down in hot buttered cast iron. Sear till crispy.

This works for a few days of food as follows:
Day1: all rito'
Day2+ cut a bit of the mix with egg and whatever other garbage tier leftovers you have. An egg or two greatly extends the run time of this mix.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'd never had a California burrito until I moved to Austin - I'd never heard of fries in a burrito until then. I've had hash browns and other forms of breakfast potatoes in a breakfast taco/burrito before, but not a lunch/dinner style.

There's a place called Super Burrito here that introduced me to them. Their San Diego style is carne asada, french fries, pico de gallo, cheese, guacamole, and sour cream.

/r/austin swears this place is terrible, but I don't know of anyone else serving them here - and when I did food delivery full time, they made up a good chunk of my orders every day. :shrug: Not like I can eat half the poo poo in there anymore now anyway, though.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My first burrito love is the California burrito from Señor Sisig, a Mexican/Filipino fusion food truck. It’s got string fries, Filipino Sisig pork, cheese, guacamole and pico, and a fried egg if you want. drat amazing and after one of those I’m ready for a nap

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Gimme. Gimme. It. All.

Back in the sf bay I had this working class hole in the wall joint around the corner. Every now and then on easy fridays I'd go in at lunch for one of their super burritos + a tall boi modelo negro.
I had a reputation there because I could 1. finish the burrito. 2 the beer. 3. a couple plates of chips and salsa.

The rest of friday was reserved for easy work tasks, like correspondence and telling people 'no'.

Picking the jeep up at a Carvana Kiosk in Escondido. It's probably gone by the time of this writing but hey, it wasn't then.
We camped out nearby in a little wine town called Temecula. I grew up here decades ago back in the 90s. yes, decades, gently caress you. we're not talking about this any further.
In fact, I grew up across the street from the KOA I'm at.

Yeah, that was a Dodge Charger, why do you ask?

Unbeknownst to us, there's a festival going on here at the same time. Tin Can Tourists is what they call theirselves. Vintage RV fans that lovingly restore RVs of years gone by. They're welcoming of even the later filon sided rot boxes like ours.

Behind the whole park is a lake. I rode a bunch of this stuff as a kid.

Getting rick rolled at the on-site resturant.

Big bulk o' Tin Can Tourist shots.

Gorgeous OBS Ford with a vintage travel trailer. The OBS was in the 200k-mi club.

Honorable mention for classic looks. Albeit overloaded.

Back to the charger for a min. It was a '68 with a 440. Wrecked when it was young and bought up as scrap by a guy that built handicap accessible rv conversions decades ago. This was one of a dozen or two. It was a really well done conversion. It's running disc brakes all around, EFI, and a host of other upgrades. Pretty sure I talked guy into going for the ZF8 speed that bolts to the 440.

Driving to pick up the jeep, I spot an Alabama Trash-Can(t) blowing by us in the left lane billowing smoke. less than a couple miles later, It is full on Alabama Dumpster Fire.

Jeep.

No more driving the rv to do errands or try and explore for campsites. Redundant vehicles for when the truck or jeep breaks. Ease of moving about the country, etc.
I do not intend to flat tow it.

More burritos.

Extended the stay to the week. Moved to the back 40 of the lot closer to the mtb trails. (that were dirtbike and ATC trials for yours truly back int he 90s)

The hill with the clouds? I lived there!

(it's now some kind of spa/monastery thing, they don't want me around.)

Looking out towards part of Temecula.

Dolphin...of sorts.

The rain tests the Jeeps waterproofness.

It's a jeep thing, I don't get it.

30 years of riding bikes and I just now upgrade to a dropper post.

Pull out the tools. Swear a little.

Dropper goes down... Dropper goes up... Dropper goes down.... Dropper goes up..

Remember how I said I cracked the seat? I broke it more out here. Grabbed my backup that I used on a spinbike for ~3 years. Yea it sucks on a mtb but whatever.

This.

poo poo.

Rules.

Yeah ok I didn't go down that. I'm not 10 anymore.

Turkey Kebabs and sourdough pitas.

It took me forever to get the nice air pocket inside. Timing is everything in sourdough.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Want those kebabs and sourdough, drat. :sethyes:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Random AF, but in the mid 90s, I used to call a BBS in Temecula.

I THINK I wound up being a regional hub for some network they ran, but I carried so many networks that I couldn't begin to tell you what they were anymore (a couple that I do remember make me cringe a bit).

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Pretty neat to read the thread and flip flop between "Oh I've been there," "Woah didn't know that was there," and "I should check that out."

Always fun to see what's in our big backyard down here.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's always something new to see. It's kinda cool in its own way.

The new jeep is going about like jeeps do. This is another post fighting against the maintenance race.

It'll need brakes.

And it does this on brand Jeep thing. I'm not familiar with this light having not owning anything with one on since the rovers.

Cyl6 missfire. Prob a coilpack or whatever. This is fine.

Over the mountain range towards Ocotillo Wells.

And into the dirt.

To fix the water pump again.

And to baseline a new to us car.

It's babbies first brake job. While he works, I supervise...

And retension the belts on the truck.

The Jeep also gets new shocks.

Button it back up and continue driving.

The farm truck still screeches. At least the Jeep stopped. New belts are on hand.

Some interesting rides around this area. One hell of a desert setup here.

Stopping into Ocotillo to grab a new to me used Leese Neville Ambo Alternator via general delivery.

And some gorbage.

40lb of copper.

Thats 165Amps Continuous.

This is an alternator worthy of charging the camper with. The old 1G is a fire hazard. The Lesse-Neville is the cats rear end. Field replaceable parts. Tuneable regulator. Massive diode blocks.

Into the sand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGieMVdR42A

To turn off into deeper sand. 4wd-Low, 2nd gear. Lots of turbo noise.
The 'screech' can be heard when I release the throttle at 1:23, 1:50, 2:09, 2:24, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oph5IDvxdjA

New boring sandy spot.

Rocks nearby of interest:

New belts.

System fluids check to make sure the main transmission or the like isn't running friggin dry.

The #8 injector return is leaking, making a oil leak like mess.
I also can't get the fill plug off, visible in the above photo.
So to check the main transmission's fluid level, I pull a PTO cover bolt adjacent to the fill plug.

wet;dirty. Check.

Front diff: Fine.

Tcase: Fine.

Rear diff: Dirty, Fine enough.

I attempt to reseal the return cup for #8. No success. They're old enough now that I should consider replacing all of the plastic return cups.

The squeak persists.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

cursedshitbox posted:

The squeak persists.

CSB's Overland Adventure Time: The Squeak Persists

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Another campground....Another dead rv needing a jump.

A classic with a classic driver.

The roads around this part of the state are excellent. Shame the jeep is not anything more fun, like a moto.

Stage Coach Trails RV Resort is an interesting place to stay at. Pretty nice facility actually. They even have a pizza oven. There's also a lot of equestrian spaces offered.

I love how the seating is done using old tractor seats and trailer axles.

Given how axle bearings are a constant pain in the rear end, they'll do just fine here.

Gorbage burritos.

Oh, and these fuckin' things. It's a solid day project. Worth it though.

Then v8sgiving.

A dummy thicc uhhh C60 That I absolutely adore.

Visited the San Diego Zoo Safari Park to get outta the house. You only get a teaser because you yourself, really should go.

Then to the Polar friggin opposite??? Nani?

The above photo is newer than the following sequence of all hell breaking loose, but that isn't the matter.
After leaving Stagecoach campground with my squeaky truck I noticed Reverse is now being hard to engage. Like the clutch is dragging slightly. A failing pilot bearing will do it everytime. A failing clutch release arm will too.

The screech is now in two/three forward gears comprising 2/3/4 in certain running conditions.

We're gonna beat it to the LTVA where we can park for up to 4 months to fix whatever this is.

In El Centro I pull into a 7-11 and the clutch starts to get angry with me. It's dragging in first? Reverse requires bouncing from 4th to R to stop the main shaft. Oh gently caress.
Pull onto the turn lane to enter the highway, right when the light goes green the clutch pedal drops and the truck lurches hard. I trounce the service brake to not rearend the person in front of me just as they're beginning to lazily accelerate.

The clutch is now gone. I float the gears up to highway speed. The engine doesn't wanna turn 5th because of the headwind. 4th is screaming at 2300rpm. gently caress you truck there's 100 plus miles to go. We're doing 75 all the way there turning 4th and whatevers breaking to its death.

Cue the highway exit. No clutch. Kill the engine hot to pull up to the stop sign. Use the starter to get the truck going again in gear. Do this more times than I'd like.
The unsung hero here is this $40 ebay starter I got years ago that also spun a dead 7.3 along and now this.

25 miles of farm-y backroads with rare stops and a lot of drivetrain noise. Yuma didn't post signs one way for a bridge derated for 3 tons due to damage. You morons don't do this I am six point five tons. I found this out days later but you get to learn about it sooner. This is also where I am thoroughly over google nav.

Pull into the LTVA.

Get our permits and go scout for a spot.

The same spot, this thread started with, two years prior almost to the date.

It made it. Now to put together a 4 month long campsite and figure out what went pop. The clutch hydraulics are functioning.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

Cue the highway exit. No clutch. Kill the engine hot to pull up to the stop sign. Use the starter to get the truck going again in gear. Do this more times than I'd like.

Been there on two different Hondas. On one (88 Accord), clutch cable wore through and got stuck, so I got it unjammed and just used the starter (that generation Accord didn't have a clutch safety switch) to get going. On the other (95 Civic), lost the slave cylinder.

Honda starters take a beating. I drove both cars like that for a lot longer than I should have; 2nd gear synchros had already left the car on the 95, 3rd gear synchros were trying their best to follow.

Though I suppose getting a 6 ton truck moving is a little harder than a 2200 pound flyweight. :v:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

STR posted:

Been there on two different Hondas. On one (88 Accord), clutch cable wore through and got stuck, so I got it unjammed and just used the starter (that generation Accord didn't have a clutch safety switch) to get going. On the other (95 Civic), lost the slave cylinder.

Honda starters take a beating. I drove both cars like that for a lot longer than I should have; 2nd gear synchros had already left the car on the 95, 3rd gear synchros were trying their best to follow.

Though I suppose getting a 6 ton truck moving is a little harder than a 2200 pound flyweight. :v:

My 89 Civic Wagovan had the safety switch go out on the clutch pedal, and I just wired it to a momentary switch on the dash. I may have used that to move the car on a few occasions.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

n0tqu1tesane posted:

My 89 Civic Wagovan had the safety switch go out on the clutch pedal, and I just wired it to a momentary switch on the dash. I may have used that to move the car on a few occasions.

That was one of the first things I deleted on this truck. It's a switch that clamps over the pushrod for the clutch master. The pivot is a big time wear item. I put a heim in it years ago then installed zerks on the pedal box. I pop the dash lower and squirt grease into it all once a year or so. The whole assembly is made of unobtanium now and I spent 2-3 years acquiring good low wear parts.

STR posted:

I haven't had clutches fail this way often in such a way I was forced to drive it. Most of the time I got it before it got me. My '86 lude (A, FI) got its clutch and every ancillary replaced long in advance. Only to find out 5th started whining two months later. I sold the car to not do that job again.
The festiva straight up shattered its transmission in two when I dumped the clutch going into 2nd while getting on the beans with a BP swap in front of it.
The old engine took a good 350rpm with glows to light off even when it was 110F out. It just took fewer revolutions to light off. I wouldn't have made it if it was this engine.

Making the left at the end of the exit ramp is slightly up hill. And a left, with a stop sign, and 4 lanes of traffic, two in each way.
With everything piping hot from the highway drive it took a few seconds for the transfer pump to build up enough pressure since it was also being slow spun by a starter pushing 6.5 tons in a gear kind of too tall. Even with the new engine the truck was well into the lane before it lit off.

I don't like that kinda risk.

We'll need to find out what went wrong. Pull the inspection hatch. Pull the fork arm out and inspect. Pull a PTO cover from the main transmission and take a gander inside the box to make sure it's okay.

I am pretty sure the transmission is dead. Because I found this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsVTeJ1K0OM

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

cursedshitbox posted:

This is also where I am thoroughly over google nav.

After the 40th "make a u-turn" its anyone's guess if the phone is getting chucked out the window or you laugh like a maniac at the absurd suggestion.

That C60 looks great, I should have tried to save my grandpa's.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
This is still a great thread. But I'm concerned. What are you doing ogling that C60?

And did you have to turn around when you hit the bridge? Because that sounds terrifying.

cursedshitbox posted:

I am pretty sure the transmission is dead. Because I found this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsVTeJ1K0OM

Is it good when you hear the same noise in your truck as you hear in the video? That's good right? :ohdear:

builds character fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 21, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hey man you always appreciate someone that doesn't skip leg day. It's far too nice for me but I'd rock the hell out of an old C60. And probably should.

I didn't know about the bridge de-rate till like a week later when goog took us back through there in the jeep. I may have embedded jeep seat foam deep within me on sight of that sign. I then proceeded to buy navigation gear that understands I'm not in Mountain View with a loving Tesla.

:hmmyes:

The jeep now gets Eddie duties. While the truck is out tanks still need to be dealt with. This is the alternative.

And an authorized portable service facility.

It has built in lights too, but sometimes, Aziz, LIGHT.

The stock lighting is adequate enough for most everything though.

I got the inspection plate open.
This fell out. This appears to be a piece of spring.

Looking at the disc.

Unable to leave well enough alone for now. I pull the PTO cover. I set up a papertowel to take a smear of the oil as it drains into the pan to pan for contaminants.

Transmission rich oil were found.

It's really hard to tell in this shot. The input shaft gear is polished and pitted. (top shaft, leftmost cog)

No discernible play was found between the bearing sets. Not that I could easily measure .005" of play anyway, which is enough to ruin this box.

Since the drain and fill is heehawed. I unceremoniously pour the transmission fluid back into the transmission via the shift tower.

Some further detail on the play.
The cases are a stack type. They set the preload on the 5 bearings holding the 3 shafts within the transmission. The gearset has to be preheated, placed into the case, then endplay measured, and adjusted until its right. A specified amount of sealant is used and anymore will alter the preload.

My little easy bake oven is not big enough to preheat the zf5-42. Not that I want vehicle parts in my pizza oven.

Solutions: A replacement ZF5-42. Rated for 300lb-ft. The ZF5-47, came behind the 7.3 PSD and sort-of-slots-in. 8% stronger with 345lb-ft capability.
The 42 is a lot more common. The 47 is less so. The 47 has better gears for towing. The 42 is most compatible.

Because someone is going to mention 'couldn't you fit X from a bus':

Honorable mentions that get into the shop required territory of new drivelines, transmission mounts, transfercases, aux transmissions, floorpan mods, etc:
ZF6-650 6 speed from a 7.3 superduty. 480lb-ft capability.
SM435/T19 4 speed, 500lb-ft +, cheap, easy, simple, no OD. GearVendors, Brownie boxes, Fuller auxes, etc can slot in with a divorced 203/205.

Medium duty:
The SAE#2 bell housing adapter for the 7.3 is available, but its also the motor mount so it's wide, tall, thick, and heavy. Probably needs a body lift and a straight frame truck. Nevermind clearing the firewall, pan, turbo plumbing, and driveline.
FS6406A school bus box, 660lb-ft, sae2 bell. OD, $3500 or so. Non OD versions can be had for around $1500
FSO4505 school bus box, 450lb-ft, sae2 bell, extremely rare.

ZF5s of any flavor seem to be in the $3-4500 range and putting hands on one seems to be harder than expected. wtf they were a $1200 box for years...

We all know where this is going. Zumbrota is the major rebuilder authorized by ZF. I have three options right now.

1. Remove this ZF5-42 and send it to Zumbrota, MN on a pallet LTL. They'll try to rebuild it and send it back. Possible 3+ month turnaround. 5 easy kilo dollars in cost. For a transmission still not rated for this job.

2. Kastein out of the great frozen North East has found 3 used ones in varying degrees of frozen. He's willing to truck one out when he comes west, I'd need to jeep north and meet him to heroic fix this stupid truck. This hinges on a lot going right and asks a lot of a fellow goon. No fuckin' way.

2b. There's a busted one for $1900 that had a DualMass flywheel let go wrecking part of the bellhousing. may have some usable parts.

3. Drink a marg and go poo poo tractor shopping, it's time.

I'd drag this out on you fuckers for some suspense but yeah I'm not super secretive about it and from the time of the above photos to putting a deposit on its replacement wasn't even 48 hours apart. Including a day on the bike in the middle to sort everything out.
I also don't know how the rest of this week is panning out and I've a little time now to :justpost:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I sometimes cut gears for a living, and uh, no, that’s not how gears should look.
And is that shadowing on the flywheel? How deep were those indentations?

Love the dissection.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You may be in gold and silver prospecting territory but you are not supposed to find it in your transmission, just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
It could be the photo that's a mess with the clutch disk. There's more to come.

Here at truck fucklers north america it's non stop truck fuckling no matter what.

Back to the ambo alternator. The truck may not go anywhere but correcting the charging system is still good work to be done.

The 1G on its own is a bit of a fire hazard even when its working correctly. Nevermind when it isn't. Everybody usually does the 3G upgrade. Not really after that because It'll abuse the poo poo out of it with a dc-dc converter to charge the camper with around 2kW of power.

At the time factory ambulanced prepared vehicles used a medium/heavy duty truck alternator from leece-neville. They're Delta wound to push more current.
Massive diode blocks with dedicated heatsinks. Adjustable regulators. Huge windings and a giant fan. Good for 165 Amps continuous. It'll stick weld without a gently caress given, or charge the camper at 2kW. They are beastly and 100% field serviceable.

I got this dumb alternator for a song because it "didn't work"

1G up top.

It more or less bolts in the same spot where the 1G alternator is but there's swearing in different places. The 1G has a nice ear for getting purchase with a tool to tension the belt.

A future project is to make an ear for this alternator, This sucks. I didn't buy the slightly longer belt, I'll do it in a year when this one is dead.

The 1G is externally regulated and I have the glowplug controller using the 1G's case as a ground path. I transferred it over to the new alternator and deleted the 1G's regulator.
Key on, No glowplug light. ??? It's grounded.
Start it without glows and the alternator is not charging. Rev the engine to 1500rpm like its an old 1 wire GM alt. No dice.

... maybe the ground lug on this one is floating.

Sure enough, it started charging when I grounded the lug with jumper cables. No big, I'll run a fat ground wire for it. The glowplug system also started working. Success.

Grounding lug with all the other grounding lugs. This cable is a pos. I'll replace it with tinned marine cable like you see everywhere else on this truck.

Finished install.

I'll probably need to bump the regulator a little, 13.6 is fine enough, I'd rather it closer to 14.