Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tree Bucket posted:

I tried to draw a biologically plausible limbchooser, and it's legit revolting.
(it has sturdier attachment points, and a solid bony exterior to anchor the limbs, much like the prehistoric giant fish dunkleosteus)

I like it, these attempts have been pretty fun. Extrapolating out from the crude MSPaint ideas is neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I feel like it makes the most sense to have the original creature retain its digestive & respiratory systems, so presumably that would extend to sex as well...but at the same time it would make sense for one of the symbiotes to just deliver the sperm equivalent directly. ...Which itself might give good reasons for other symbiotes to enforce a selectivity process. Assuming that the original animal reproduces sexually anyway

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Demon
Chapter 12.08

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Kit Walker posted:

I feel like it makes the most sense to have the original creature retain its digestive & respiratory systems, so presumably that would extend to sex as well...but at the same time it would make sense for one of the symbiotes to just deliver the sperm equivalent directly. ...Which itself might give good reasons for other symbiotes to enforce a selectivity process. Assuming that the original animal reproduces sexually anyway

Hmm. That makes sense.
I guess it depends how many fish-like characteristics the 'choosers have retained. Most fish reproduce externally, with one or other parents guarding the eggs as they grow. Come to think of it, the process of cleaning, aerating and protecting the egg mass would provide a lot of behaviors that could be transferred across to the care of un-attached parasites.

ultrafilter posted:

Thorsby's on Twitter and I bet he'd love to see these.

I don't have twitter, but feel free to shoot them at Thorsby!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tree Bucket posted:

I tried to draw a biologically plausible limbchooser, and it's legit revolting.
(it has sturdier attachment points, and a solid bony exterior to anchor the limbs, much like the prehistoric giant fish dunkleosteus)

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Youremother posted:

Oops! Fixed it with a better link! Hope this one works!

And yeah, part of me wanting to post Birdbun was to make a deliberate contrast with Hothead Paisan. The "fuming violent lesbian" is a more common lesbian-written comic trope than you'd expect (maybe later in the thread I'll post a few strips of Bitchy Butch by Roberta Gregory) so I wanted something a little softer. Which, of course, is because it's from a comfortable sitting point that doesn't have to worry about the politics so much!

Yeah, it been a really neat contrast, thank you for posting it!

And I agree that some of the air and detachment it has is from a class perspective as has been pointed out; but I also think some of it is from a time perspective. It’s only an eight year difference between the two, but there is a huge gulf in those times. Birdbun is from a place where Ellen has come out, Will & Grace is a prime time show, multiple pro-LGBTQ movies like The Birdcage and To Julie Newmar have been released, AIDS is being treated as a serious health crisis, and the fight has largely moved to “how do gay people fit into society” and away from “should gay people exist”. Birdbun is more comfortable in many senses, and that allows it detachment from issues that for Hothead are life and death.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Youremother posted:

Tales from Birdbun Theater
...And that's it for Birdbun Theater! Thanks for reading it! I know it wasn't much, but it was a really rare find for me, a person who gives a massive poo poo about LGBT comic history, and I felt like this thread was the only place in the world who would care that I found a rarity like this and wanted to upload it. In fact here's a zip file with all of the raw pages in case anybody wants to whip these into proper shape.

Thank you for posting. For all that it’s so middling, it really is a fascinating window into a certain time and place and demographic. The formal white tie thing was silly and charming.

Agreed that the contest between it and Hothead Paisan is absolutely wild.

GhastlyBizness has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Apr 2, 2023

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

He is very lucky that there were any survivors at all for his daughter to hop into.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I've forgotten the insane demon rules, is there a maximum range for hopping?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I've forgotten the insane demon rules, is there a maximum range for hopping?

There is no practical or literal upper limit. This will be important later.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The only limit we know of is that he can’t be the closest person when she dies or else the possession will fail and she’ll die for real.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Re:LGBTQ and feminist comics and the past being a series of foreign countries, this last week or so TCJ has had a series of articles about Fantagraphics' reprinting of 'Tits & Clits', an underground comic mostly from the 70s: https://www.tcj.com/a-sociocultural-oral-history-of-tits-clits/

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, it been a really neat contrast, thank you for posting it!

And I agree that some of the air and detachment it has is from a class perspective as has been pointed out; but I also think some of it is from a time perspective. It’s only an eight year difference between the two, but there is a huge gulf in those times. Birdbun is from a place where Ellen has come out, Will & Grace is a prime time show, multiple pro-LGBTQ movies like The Birdcage and To Julie Newmar have been released, AIDS is being treated as a serious health crisis, and the fight has largely moved to “how do gay people fit into society” and away from “should gay people exist”. Birdbun is more comfortable in many senses, and that allows it detachment from issues that for Hothead are life and death.

I think this is the reason why I didn't like birdbun. I think it was fine as a comic, but I can just smell the wealthy smug complacency. Back in the day I always felt like the concessions to gay acceptance we "won" in the 90s, up to and including gay marriage (and there's a whole story with that, let me tell ya), were just meaningless tokens meant to placate the rich cis white gay men who'd somewhat recently become the de facto leaders of our messaging. In recent decades I have looked at the stagnant gay and feminist movements focusing on almost exclusively issues of tone and visibility, and the nascent trans rights movement following their example, and thought "none of this poo poo we're getting actually means anything concrete, and if there's the slightest shift in the political winds it could all be taken away".

I am, for the record, extremely unhappy to have been proved right. While our neutered civil rights movements focused on poo poo like representation at the Oscars, the enemy came for abortion, and the gay and trans right to exist (again).

Tldr, put me in camp paisan

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Fagtastic posted:

\
I am, for the record, extremely unhappy to have been proved right. While our neutered civil rights movements focused on poo poo like representation at the Oscars, the enemy came for abortion, and the gay and trans right to exist (again).

I'm a disabled trans femme, thank you for putting this into words.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

alright i'm gonna start posting something

it's not exactly a comic. the person who created it is a very strange person who sent it to me and in my opinion, it's amazing. the only host for it is an imgur album and it's a mix of text and pictures and doesn't tell the story in a linear way, it goes back and forth in a half-finished way that's really interesting.

I posted a link to it before in one of the old deviantart threads but here i'm going to split it up for the comics thread

it's Yem!

A mercat family.

Flip and Tumble are two brothers.

CyprianLatewood
Feb 27, 2023

by Pragmatica

readingatwork posted:

He is very lucky that there were any survivors at all for his daughter to hop into.

The only person who can kill sweetpea is another demon, so the only way she would have died is if the missle killed everyone in the city and jimmy was the closest living person.

e: I'm not an expert on the matter but I feel like the plane you send out to shoot down a plane won't actually be equipped with large enough missles to blow up a whole building like that

CyprianLatewood has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Apr 2, 2023

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

fritz posted:

Destructor

Destructor is great and I like how much background detail and presumably-throwaway worldbuilding is in this latest setting. Like that vaguely unsettling humanoid menu robot.

I think I'd rather not know the answer, but I'm fascinated to see if it's just these one-off vignettes or it's actually building to something Never mind, you said in the first post it was never finished. Bummer.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
If y’all like lesbian comics, I recommend both My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness, a Japanese auto-bio comic about a lesbian who struggles with loneliness, and the OG lesbian comic, Dykes To Watch Out For by Alison Bechdel, the accidental creator of the Bechdel Test

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Did someone say lesbian comics??? How about cyelatm

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
yem is weird. its not a comic but it is an interesting/good foundation for a comic that could come from it

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

thetoughestbean posted:

I like King Slime. I think the comic should be renamed “King Slime (and his dumb less important friends)”

It rolls off the tongue about as well as the current title! I would like to say that in hindsight, making him the main main character would be better, but I don't know if he'd have turned out quite like this if that had been the case. That being said, any time the Slime King is not on panel, it is reasonable to be asking, "where's the Slime King?"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

No

Don't do that :mad:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Fagtastic posted:

Sometimes my reflexes think it's too cheaply gratuitous, then i remember that it's a product of its times, and then yeah what you said :)

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Some cyelatm posts have the same energy as the tamer pop team epic strips

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Some cyelatm posts have the same energy as the tamer pop team epic strips

Also, I read the entirety of Mr. Boop today (which isn’t that much), and I think it definitely needs to be posted in the thread. But probably not until after I get through cyelatm.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Don't let the cowards cow you to submission, this real love story must be told even as the very pages of history smoulder from the heat!

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave
In retrospect, my post earlier was not quite as lucid as I thought it was at the time. I have a little more clarity on what I was trying to say, and a lot less autobiography. Thanks are also due, but I'll put them at the end.

OK, so I got a bit lost earlier because of the aforementioned issues with memory and cognition. I wanted to propose a sort of taxonomy of comics based on a couple features and explore some of the advantages and disadvantages of different types.

First, what I'm calling 'story', for lack of a better term. It doesn't map one-to-one onto number of panels or pages or scenes or acts. A slice of life comic can go on for hundreds of pages with relatively little story, while e.g. Hark! A Vagrant or Abbeycourt Manor could pack a lot of story concisely into three to six panels. The way I'm thinking of it, story isn't just how much happens but also how integral it is to the comic itself and its goals. If a bunch of stuff happens but it's relatively inconsequential, I'd put that comic low on the 'story' spectrum; first example that comes to mind is Uramachi Sakaba, where horrifying monsters from a vast implied world and history break onto the scene from time to time, but get their asses kicked quick so we can get back to the will-they won't they and the bantering acquaintances.

Second, 'character'. Again, not just whether there are identifiable, consistent characters, but how central those characters and their characterization are to the comic. Uramachi Sakaba comes to mind again, high on character and low on story; even the tertiary characters have their own motivations and inner lives. K6BD, I think, is a good example of a comic that's high on the story spectrum and the character spectrum (and also a 'world' spectrum, I guess, but this is already running too long).

Creating story and character = :effort:. Everything's subject to change as you go (and especially character probably should progress in the absence of a very good reason not to), but the work of coming up with the story and the characters begins before the first page and keeps going behind the scenes.

The groundwork and the required maintenance of consistency and continuity are costly, but they're an investment. Writing fiction, I've had characters develop to the point where they tell me what they'd do in a given situation. That's an incredible feeling. Ditto for when the work of digging up a story and assembling the pieces brings new questions to mind and answers them. It's that kind of payoff that I find myself longing for lately. Val and Isaac, as an example, sometimes seems written merely by throwing its well-developed characters into a situation and letting them play off the situation and each other, which wouldn't be possible if it hadn't done the hard work already of developing those characters. When I'm staring at the latest blank page of my drafts notebook and loathing myself for not having ideas, I think about V&I and wish I had that kind of generative creation.

The single panel is a different sort of animal. (I keep thinking of single panel vs. strip as a basal evolutionary divergence, one that places them in different niches which exert selection pressures in their own turn, leading to radiations of species etc. etc. But again, this is already too long.)

A single-panel comic can have character. Ziggy persists between the single-panel installments, pointlessly. And at the low end of the character spectrum, The Far Side has archetypes who, though each instance isn't that of a single individual, have enough in common with their class that they act somewhat like stronger characters, but with freedom from the demands of continuity.

A single-panel comic could/can have story in two ways I can think of: a) self-contained within each single-panel instance but not continuous between panels, and b) continuity between the respective single panels.

The former is found in a lot of, but by no means all, Far Sides: some chain of events is set into motion, leading to the contents of the panel and, if they still represent the middle of the story, implies an ending.

Of the latter, I can't think of any examples. But it's theoretically possible, right? Each panel stands alone as a unit of story equivalent to a strip or a page of another comic, and strung together in a sequence, they tell a larger story. It'd be pretty odd to read, I bet, but maybe it would fit some specific story or another.

I reckon the single-panel comic with low-to-zero character and low-to-zero story continuity has two advantages: it lacks the up-front and ongoing costs of creating and maintaining characters and story, and it's unconstrained by the demands of continuity. If you feel like making a sad gay rat comic one day, hell yeah! And the next day, a literary reference that's also a dick joke. Go for it. You could follow that up with fuckin...Mario...banging some other video game character; I don't know because I'm literally too depressed to play video games.

If anything, going continuity-free can be too liberating. I believe constraints are crucial to creativity. Maybe my brain's testicles need a little more support. Maybe I'm getting old and want somewhere to hang my hat. I find myself pining for the stories with characters.
So. That's what I was trying to get at earlier. Sorry it's so long.

———

Domus posted:

I don’t think it’s ridiculous to try, but if it isn’t your current thing, you shouldn’t feel bad about it. There’s no continuous story in Far Side panels, but that doesn’t keep it from being a beloved part of millions of people’s comic consumption.
It's a good point, and I thank you for making it.

HPanda posted:

Dang, sorry to hear about your troubles. Different cause, but I can relate to the frustration of feeling like you're losing your ability to be creative in the ways you want because of memory and cognitive faculties breaking down from a health thing. We just have to keep on keeping on, trying out what we can. One of these days I'll finish that novel series hopefully. But hey, no harm in trying out the longer story form. Can always introduce some kind of element that makes the inconsistencies make sense, right? Nothing quite like an unreliable narrator to accomplish that.
Thanks for the encouragement, and same to you. It's a good point about the unreliable narrator, and when you have Circumstances like ours, it even becomes a "write what you know" situation.

Emzedoh posted:

I wanted to let you know that I appreciate this comic.
I really appreciate you saying so.

Also alsø: I, cis-ish probably-mostly-het, disabled & living in a very inaccessible world, am more Team Paisan every day.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON CLOWN CORPS

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

CyprianLatewood posted:

it's meant to be a biological fascimile of like an electronic speaker that you'd see in real life, I don't think it holds up to a great depth of scientific theoretical inspection but who knows

If you mean you don't think it's possible for such an organ to evolve, it reminds me a lot of the tymbal of a tiger moth. It's a membrane with a resonating chamber that the moth vibrates to produce sounds, a lot like a very simple speaker. The tiger moth can only produce rapid clicks, but a larger and more sophisticated organ could certainly create a wider range of sounds

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

If you mean you don't think it's possible for such an organ to evolve, it reminds me a lot of the tymbal of a tiger moth. It's a membrane with a resonating chamber that the moth vibrates to produce sounds, a lot like a very simple speaker. The tiger moth can only produce rapid clicks, but a larger and more sophisticated organ could certainly create a wider range of sounds

The things you learn in the comix thread. Moth vocal apparatus, unreal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder if they'll ever talk more about limbchoosers in the comic, must get interesting when they can do selective breeding of the parasites. Also wondering what's the maximum they can support at once.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Anywho I did some science. From this definitive survey of two and a half pages we can conclude that Jojo's Special Experience is webcomics in its purest form.
Also the four extremes of the comics world are Plica, American Barbarian, Boba Pearl's stuff, and spacetrawler.

CyprianLatewood
Feb 27, 2023

by Pragmatica

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

That's interesting, I'd call it enough justification for science fiction's sake at least.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder if they'll ever talk more about limbchoosers in the comic, must get interesting when they can do selective breeding of the parasites. Also wondering what's the maximum they can support at once.

There is more limbchooser stuff in the comic to come! rear end is one of the weaker stories as far as straight-up plot and character goes, but it's pretty creative and fun throughout.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

why did you see the continue walking into the ambush after you saw the death squad standing there

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

This update makes me wonder what this kind of behaviour was called before the internet gifted us with the term 'troll'.

Bybloemen

Gertrude defeats the ominous handshake (for now?) and Ludwig needs to tone it down like 30%. You know, something else I really like about this comic is the non-literal embellishments - Ludwig glaring at the proverb snake, Geert becoming entangled in the thorny vines as Basil strings him along, that sort of thing. It's not something a lot of other mediums can pull off so elegantly.

Emzedoh posted:

Still love how Hazakura's teleportations play with the panel borders.

Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance

"Happy Party Fever", now where have I heard of that before...

(I think I messed up the image quality some, ah well)

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Tree Bucket posted:

Anywho I did some science. From this definitive survey of two and a half pages we can conclude that Jojo's Special Experience is webcomics in its purest form.
Also the four extremes of the comics world are Plica, American Barbarian, Boba Pearl's stuff, and spacetrawler.

where's subnormality

CyprianLatewood
Feb 27, 2023

by Pragmatica

the holy poopacy posted:

why did you see the continue walking into the ambush after you saw the death squad standing there

Aside from the fact that no self-respecting clown would terminate an encounter before the dramatic dialogue was finished, starting the fight early would just mean that they have less time to take in their opponents arms and positions.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
American Barbarian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Mx. posted:

where's subnormality

Way, way out north and east.

Edit: those restraints in American Barbarian are so incredibly Kirby, they're perfect.